Your favorite cruise embarkation port?

15 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Venice.  Most beautiful sailaway I've ever seen.  Although, those days are over.  😢 

Agree,  Glad we got to embark and disembark in Venice on numerous cruises.  It will likely happen again since we do sometimes cruise on very small ship luxury lines that will still be able to use the Venice Maritima port.  Our other favorite embarkation ports are all somewhat exotic places such as Hong Kong, Singapore, and Istanbul.  We have been in and out of all the US embarkation ports (except New Orleans) and find most to be boring.  Consider Port Everglades where the highlight is waving at a Condo building :).   NYC (any of the 3 area ports) does have its moments and I can never cruise past the Statute of Liberty without some strong feelings (I apologize in advance for still loving my country).  

Hank

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Venice.  Most beautiful sailaway I've ever seen.  Although, those days are over.  😢 

I agree. If Venice isn't at the top of your list, it can only because you haven't sailed from (or to) there.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I agree. If Venice isn't at the top of your list, it can only because you haven't sailed from (or to) there.   

Have never embarked a cruise in Venice, but, I have sailed to/from the Port during a port visit.  It is a port that is very scenic.  In my opinion, Venice joins ports like Sydney and Hong Kong that are unique.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Agree,  Glad we got to embark and disembark in Venice on numerous cruises.  It will likely happen again since we do sometimes cruise on very small ship luxury lines that will still be able to use the Venice Maritima port.  Our other favorite embarkation ports are all somewhat exotic places such as Hong Kong, Singapore, and Istanbul.  We have been in and out of all the US embarkation ports (except New Orleans) and find most to be boring.  Consider Port Everglades where the highlight is waving at a Condo building :).   NYC (any of the 3 area ports) does have its moments and I can never cruise past the Statute of Liberty without some strong feelings (I apologize in advance for still loving my country).  

Hank

No need to apologize (especially around the 4th of July). And yes, sailing by the Statue of Liberty is very special.

On 7/4/2022 at 6:59 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Manhattan is about an hour from home, and offers a magnificent sail away..  San Juan is good - as most sailaways seem to be at night.  Quebec is close to the old city’s attractions.

I agree with the magnificant sail-away, but far away, as we are, quite a hassle to get there, various taxis, Ubers, etc.  Once at the port it was fine.

38 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I agree with the magnificant sail-away, but far away, as we are, quite a hassle to get there, various taxis, Ubers, etc.  Once at the port it was fine.

I can't resist asking the question:  how many cruise ports are not "far away"  -- for you?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I did a bit of checking (assuming you live near Omaha) -- and found that, aside from Houston (which offers very few sailings) , Manhattan, NY does seem to be your " neighborhood cruise port";

Convenience is only one factor. For me, the more important factors include where do I enjoy staying for a few days before cruising, and (less important but still a factor) is the sail away scenic?

I would have to vote Civitavecchia my favorite embarkation port overall, simply due to my love of Rome. The trek to the port is not convenient, and the sail out is not memorable. And yet...

Venice ranks high as well for a beautiful sail out (or in), at least in the past.  Istanbul as well.

As far as the US goes, I've really enjoyed the experience of sailing out of NYC and San Francisco. Because family used to live in Fort Lauderdale and I am so familiar with it, I find it an extremely easy place to sail from and I know how to get anywhere in the area, from visiting the beach to shopping.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Have never embarked a cruise in Venice, but, I have sailed to/from the Port during a port visit.  It is a port that is very scenic.  In my opinion, Venice joins ports like Sydney and Hong Kong that are unique.  

I completely overlooked Hong Kong.  We didn't embark there but sailed out in the evening while that crazy laser light show was happening.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Convenience is only one factor. For me, the more important factors include where do I enjoy staying for a few days before cruising, and (less important but still a factor) is the sail away scenic?

I would have to vote Civitavecchia my favorite embarkation port overall, simply due to my love of Rome. The trek to the port is not convenient, and the sail out is not memorable. And yet...

Venice ranks high as well for a beautiful sail out (or in), at least in the past.  Istanbul as well.

As far as the US goes, I've really enjoyed the experience of sailing out of NYC and San Francisco. Because family used to live in Fort Lauderdale and I am so familiar with it, I find it an extremely easy place to sail from and I know how to get anywhere in the area, from visiting the beach to shopping.

Sailing out under the Golden Gate Bridge is pretty cool.  Likewise waving to the Statue of Liberty when sailing out of NYC. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

When we have sailed out of NYC, we have always taken the bus to the Port Authority and then walked. We have not found that hard to do.

I suppose it would be much more difficult if the port was in Brooklyn (still NYC), but I have taken all the references to NYC as sailing from Manhattan.

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I can't resist asking the question:  how many cruise ports are not "far away"  -- for you?

Well very true, we are near no cruise ports, but it is much easier with Florida ports or even west coast cruises  due to flight schedules from Omaha, the necessity of often getting from one airport to another in the New York area, getting into the city for a night or two, expensive hotels, etc.  

Since we use mostly American airline miles, sometimes flights schedules aren't the best.

We have only sailed out of Manhattan or any New York port once, for a Trans-Atlantic.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I did a bit of checking (assuming you live near Omaha) -- and found that, aside from Houston (which offers very few sailings) , Manhattan, NY does seem to be your " neighborhood cruise port";

We live 2.5 hours from Omaha.  Flights are much easier, sometimes direct, to Florida ports and the same for the West Coast.  

We have only sailed out of Manhattan once.  Flight to Philadelphia, smaller plane to New York, (quite the experience as we had to circle several times so got a great view of the city) Long commute (private car) to the city, hotel, Uber to the port in the morning. Our hotel was very near the Brooklyn Bridge and we enjoyed walking all around the area.

We have flown out of New York several times to Europe, but it's always a process.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

When we have sailed out of NYC, we have always taken the bus to the Port Authority and then walked. We have not found that hard to do.

I suppose it would be much more difficult if the port was in Brooklyn (still NYC), but I have taken all the references to NYC as sailing from Manhattan.

We sailed from Manhattan but stayed in Brooklyn the night before.  Partly because we found a great deal, partly because not familiar enough with the city to realize we were a ways from the port.  Our little boutique hotel was in a fantastic location to see the downtown sites, but farther from the port.

We are probably also not familiar enough with the buses--I mean, we live in the country, nearest town is 300 people!  We could have figured it out--have in many other places--but Uber worked well.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

We look at price and convenience when choosing a cruise, and that usually means Miami.  I think we tend to find lower prices because Miami has so many cruises, and more ships = more opportunities for low prices.  Port Canaveral is closer for us, but we don't mind a marathon drive day.  

Having said that, I'd never thought about cruising out past the Statue of Liberty -- that's a must-do now.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We are probably also not familiar enough with the buses--I mean, we live in the country, nearest town is 300 people!  We could have figured it out--have in many other places--but Uber worked well.

When I wrote a bus, I meant a bus to NYC from upstate, cheaper than parking in NYC or the terminal especially with a senior discount on the bus line,

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

When I wrote a bus, I meant a bus to NYC from upstate, cheaper than parking in NYC or the terminal especially with a senior discount on the bus line,

That's a great option!  Of course won't work for us, but what a convenience.

2 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

That's a great option!  Of course won't work for us, but what a convenience.

And not having to deal with the traffic and tolls to drive to NY City and especially to drive within NY City makes it even more appealing to just bus there.

Edited by ontheweb
spelling correction
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would have to vote Civitavecchia my favorite embarkation port overall,

I considered Civitavecchia before I wrote my post, but, I have embarked a cruise there only once.  I don't recall anything particularly scenic when we sailed, but, did enjoy seeing the large variety of ships (Med ferries) of companies that I had heard of, but, never had seen.  

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As far as the US goes, I've really enjoyed the experience of sailing out of NYC and San Francisco

As a port of call, I have visited San Francisco a few times, but, never embarked a cruise there.  For me, and others as well, it's special.  Why?  The scenic harbor, the city's skyline, and the Golden Gate Bridge!  

• Like 3

On 7/4/2022 at 5:28 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Hi guys.  Happy 4th of July for those of us in the U.S.

I have a simple question today - considering all the factors that are important to you, what is your favorite location to embark a cruise ship?  I didn't want to put in a poll because it would be unwieldy with all the possible choices.

My choice is San Juan, Puerto Rico.  Yours probably is not.  Tell us all about it!  Thanks.

Miami, especially when it's winter here in Illinois and you arrive and then on cruise day the warmth of South Florida ( goes for any Florida port )

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Miami, especially when it's winter here in Illinois and you arrive and then on cruise day the warmth of South Florida ( goes for any Florida port )

Want to escape mid-America winter? Head in the other direction to California and Hawaii.