Warning if your about to cruise on Coral.

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Talk about extremes of reporting, check out the Coral Princess buffet …… I sure missed this one in June 🙄

https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/breaking-news/coral-princess-cruise-ship-offers-refunds-to-passengers-stuck-on-covid-infected-ship/news-story/95644461734047ce0f091fbb6b36e683

68BA3E33-C80B-4AE7-9147-8AE58FA72C3F.jpeg

Prawns, lobster and oysters, by jove is that the P and O Pantry fare?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

One other possibility. A crew member(s) could have bought it back onboard after being ashore buying their essential chocolates and noodles. This time around, Australia infected the cruise ship, a total opposite of 2020.

I thought about that possibility after I posted my comment. This is probably the most likely scenario - that a crew member contracted the virus while ashore. BTW, crew were allowed to go ashore prior to this outbreak. The fact that nearly all the COVID cases are crew members makes this is the most likely cause - not passengers lying about their RAT test results.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just to add another perspective to all this. We were on coral 16 June to 3rd July and loved every minute! Staff as always amazing, enjoyed the food, the ship and the experience. and we were fine at all testing.

back home, we live in a lifestyle village! 60 out of the 270 residents contracted covid while we were away on the cruise! All vac cos we have to be here! All ok either mild cold or asymptomatic. They had had a kareoke night!!!

we were safer on the ship lol

Edited by Cbtours
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3

With so many crew sick and probably isolating, who is doing the daily work?  Cooking, cleaning, running the ship?  I would assume crew live in dormitory rooms so would be very close contact. I would assume mild cases being they are vaxxed and a younger demographic.

Edited by Tikibird
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Just to add another perspective to all this. We were on coral 16 June to 3rd July and loved every minute! Staff as always amazing, enjoyed the food, the ship and the experience. and we were fine at all testing.

back home, we live in a lifestyle village! 60 out of the 270 residents contracted covid while we were away on the cruise! All vac cos we have to be here! All ok either mild cold or asymptomatic. They had had a kareoke night!!!

we were safer on the ship lol

The moral of this story is that it is safer to go cruising.🤣😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, brin282 said:

I pulled of the coral pricne 22 August.  Not take any risks as heard that going to cancell all of Coral curies from August.

You know this how????? I'm on 5th August sailing so it's news to me that cruises are going to be cancelled. False information yet again.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Tikibird said:

I would assume mild cases being they are vaxxed and a younger demographic.

You would assume wrong I think ……… all crew are vaxed, so just like on land, some will succumb, some won’t. Those still testing neg are working one would assume.

And I think you would find that the ship Drs do a PCR not RAT test, much more precise.

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes 24 positive passengers disembarked on Sunday prior to current cruise.

I do wonder about that number... as I could say who at least 6 of those 24 were from my tiny experience getting off the ship and that was just one part of a corridor on Emerald deck.

If true and our one section really did have 25% of all cases on the cruise that would really make me wonder if it was the HVAC system.

I guess it is what it is.

1 minute ago, Pobman said:

I do wonder about that number... as I could say who at least 6 of those 24 were from my tiny experience getting off the ship and that was just one part of a corridor on Emerald deck.

If true and our one section really did have 25% of all cases on the cruise that would really make me wonder if it was the HVAC system.

I guess it is what it is.

I’m sure I read somewhere that a sector of Emerald was the quarantine sector?

And why wonder about the HVAC instead of careless, thoughtless passengers? More likely to be an unwashed/unsanitised passenger passing by, wiping their hands on stairway bannisters than the AC.

21 minutes ago, Tikibird said:

With so many crew sick and probably isolating, who is doing the daily work?  Cooking, cleaning, running the ship?  I would assume crew live in dormitory rooms so would be very close contact. I would assume mild cases being they are vaxxed and a younger demographic.

The crew don't live in dormitory rooms. The stewards and most of the crew share a cabin with another crew member while the senior officers have a cabin (or for the few most senior officers a suite) to themselves.

On our cruise from 26th June to 3rd July we noticed that the officers kept themselves away from everyone and they wore masks even for photos at the Captains Circle cocktail party.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I thought about that possibility after I posted my comment. This is probably the most likely scenario - that a crew member contracted the virus while ashore. BTW, crew were allowed to go ashore prior to this outbreak. The fact that nearly all the COVID cases are crew members makes this is the most likely cause - not passengers lying about their RAT test results.

I think that hypothesis is spot on 👍

• Like 1

Just now, Porky55 said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that a sector of Emerald was the quarantine sector?

And why wonder about the HVAC instead of careless, thoughtless passengers? More likely to be an unwashed/unsanitised passenger passing by, wiping their hands on stairway bannisters than the AC.

Somebody posted another part of Emerald that was cordoned off and it was speculated that entire section was in isolation.

Didn't touch any banisters, and we were 3 cabins in a row isolated that was why. Of course could of been the room steward... Could of been this... and could of been that... could of all got it off the ship and brought it on... like I said it is what it is... Cabin next to us was sick by the second day so almost certain they brought it on.

All good... hope they do the credits soon, itching to book for November!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pobman said:

All good... hope they do the credits soon, itching to book for November!

So, you actually cancelled a cruise? Or got Covid on a recent cruise to get credits?
That is where you are waiting for credits from??

Edited by Porky55

Just now, Porky55 said:

So, you actually cancelled a cruise? Or got Covid on a recent cruise to get credits?
That is where you are waiting for credits from??

Credits for isolation period. They return onboard purchases to the debit/credit card and return isolation days as a future cruise credit. No idea how long it takes, did ask while on the ship and they couldn't say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pobman said:

Credits for isolation period. They return onboard purchases to the debit/credit card and return isolation days as a future cruise credit. No idea how long it takes, did ask while on the ship and they couldn't say.

So, you had Covid and were isolated on a recent cruise?? How long did you isolate?

Credits don’t generally take very long, as a rule. 

Just now, Porky55 said:

So, you had Covid and were isolated on a recent cruise?? How long did you isolate?

Credits don’t generally take very long, as a rule. 

A little over 100 hours. Second person in the cabin tested positive day before we got off. I never tested positive by rapid antigen test, self or ships ones, but have all the same symptoms so suspect a PCR test would have shown it. Isolated at home same as others.

• Like 3

Just now on 2SM, today's "shock jock" has gone hysterical on Coral. I would like to listen to responses to see if anyone from cruise industry will call to refute everything he has said (as it was almost all wrong) but I have to leave home now for an appointment with a TA. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Just now on 2SM, today's "shock jock" has gone hysterical on Coral. I would like to listen to responses to see if anyone from cruise industry will call to refute everything he has said (as it was almost all wrong) but I have to leave home now for an appointment with a TA. 

Just sent him this email

Hi Brent, the amount of staff on the Coral is 1000 not 2000,,so roughly 1% have Covid 
Princess have done everything possible to keep people safe,I did not see one member of crew without a mask on my 3 day cruise where most passengers complied with mask wearing but you can’t fix stupid and some didn’t 
Exactly the same on a aeroplane, bus or train except on those modes of transport you don’t have to have a rat test.
So stop with the bagging of the cruise

Cheers Carole

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Just sent him this email

Hi Brent, the amount of staff on the Coral is 1000 not 2000,,so roughly 1% have Covid 
Princess have done everything possible to keep people safe,I did not see one member of crew without a mask on my 3 day cruise where most passengers complied with mask wearing but you can’t fix stupid and some didn’t 
Exactly the same on a aeroplane, bus or train except on those modes of transport you don’t have to have a rat test.
So stop with the bagging of the cruise

Cheers Carole

Crew on Coral is nominally 895. Given that 114 have tested positive, roughly 13% of the crew have tested positive. That is significant, but they are of no risk to the current passengers while in isolation.They do wear masks in passenger areas, but it would have to be different off-duty below deck.

These jocks know how to wind their audience up, and base their stance on that. You can't reason with stupid either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Crew on Coral is nominally 895. Given that 114 have tested positive, roughly 13% of the crew have tested positive. That is significant, but they are of no risk to the current passengers while in isolation.They do wear masks in passenger areas, but it would have to be different off-duty below deck.

These jocks know how to wind their audience up, and base their stance on that. You can't reason with stupid either.

Just realised I said 1% and not 10, he will love pointing that out

Cheers Carole

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tikibird said:

The dorm bit covered already - most are in small twin share rooms. When they are off the clock, they are in closer confines for their R&R hours.

Yes, they are all vaxxed, a requirement of most governments, so also a Princess policy.

Prior to the boarding of this cruise, they offered passengers an out if they didn't want to do the cruise with the added risk. Some would have taken refunds or credits, but I don't know how many. There has been a mention that some of the usual amenities have been curtailed on this cruise. 

The remaining crew would be sharing the load, and I can imagine the Captain is in the galley stirring tonights' batch of French Onion soup. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The remaining crew would be sharing the load, and I can imagine the Captain is in the galley stirring tonights' batch of French Onion soup. 😉

please dont make me laugh like that... it hurts 😄 😄 😄 

• Like 2

Health officials have stated that they believe the four passengers currently on the Coral who have tested positive, contracted the virus before they boarded the ship. Below is a clip from a news article on the COVID situation on the Coral:

Glenn Dillon, who is on board the ship with his wife Caroline, said Carnival had handled the infections appropriately.

Ms Dillon tested negative on a RAT before embarking but developed symptoms after her first night on board. She then tested positive on a PCR.

"I think they are handling it as well as they can," Mr Dillon said.

From the fact that Ms Dillon developed symptoms after her first night on board, it is obvious that she contracted the virus before she even arrived at the cruise terminal. From my experience and from what I have read, it takes at least two days between contracting the virus and symptoms becoming apparent. Tests, particularly the RATs, won't detect COVID until there is a sufficient viral load.

• Like 4