Warning if your about to cruise on Coral.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel that the fact that 114 out of 188 cases of COVID are crew members, indicates that this outbreak originated with the crew. A crew member could have caught it from a passenger on the previous cruise, or when ashore during the previous cruises.

It's unfortunate that a young woman sat next to you coughing. Luckily, I didn't encounter anyone noticeably coughing during the cruise - that isn't to say that they weren't.

I'd certainly agree the number of crew cases was probably spread within the crew areas but whether one or more crew members caught it from a passenger on a previous cruise (possibly going back as far as our cruise) or after a shore visit can't be determined.

Given the timing the four passengers who have tested positive either brought itbonboard with them or were B2B passengers tgat caught it on the last cruise from another passenger or a shore visit.

What really concerned me with that young woman was that she was coughing all over her baby, plus that she was going ashore to spread her germs in Airlie Beach.

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

This morning a friend sent an sms asking if it was the Coral Princess that I had recently been on. I was able to correct some of the impressions given by the sensationalism of the media. Upon learning about the number of crew testing positive vs the number of passengers, he suggested that to avoid infection one should stay away from the crew. 🤣

Are the bars self serve now. 😇😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Have the commercial media got over their hysterics yet? Really was well over the top yesterday with headlines making it sound like the COVID cruise from hell, guessed it would happen, lets blow this up and ignore the truth and sensationalise the story to get our ratings up! Never mind the alarm and worry it must have been for friends or relatives of those on board or with up coming cruises, this side of the media really is embarrassing and un called for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

In the sequence tracing aboard Diamond Princess, the HVAC system was found to be the weak link that bypassed all the cleaning and sanitation efforts. The genome tracing found it spreading through blocks of cabins that shared the same air. You can sanitise your hands, but not so easy to sanitise the air.

Agreed about this pre Covid.

But Princess have advised that the HVAC system aboard their ships have been upgraded to HEPA filters, akin to an aeroplanes and have increased the volume of fresh air circulating though out the essential areas, or so I read.

Will try and find the article for you.

5F84A578-4129-47A7-8E00-A9E50C5286BE.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Have the commercial media got over their hysterics yet? Really was well over the top yesterday with headlines making it sound like the COVID cruise from hell, guessed it would happen, lets blow this up and ignore the truth and sensationalise the story to get our ratings up! Never mind the alarm and worry it must have been for friends or relatives of those on board or with up coming cruises, this side of the media really is embarrassing and un called for.

A quote from the past: "Today's news is tomorrow's fish and chip wrapping". 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Agreed about this pre Covid.

But Princess have advised that the HVAC system aboard their ships have been upgraded to HEPA filters, akin to an aeroplanes and have increased the volume of fresh air circulating though out the essential areas, or so I read.

Will try and find the article for you.

5F84A578-4129-47A7-8E00-A9E50C5286BE.jpeg

The HEPA filters are a work in progress, and as mentioned there, are fitted in key areas of the medical centre and isolation rooms. That works great until passengers are told to isolate in their cabins, as was the case last week when the isolation rooms were full of crew members.

On 7/9/2022 at 10:02 AM, Bizziecruzer said:

Currently covid positive people and their close contacts remain isolated in their cabins on Coral. If there are cabins reserved for covid cases they must be full. No one will release how many covid cases there are on board.

Carnival Australia confirmed ten more positive passengers on board.  

ABC News

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Carnival Australia confirmed ten more positive passengers on board.  

ABC News

So that brings it to a total of 14? Out of 2,000 passengers? That’s only 0.7%
Back when I worked in aged care if less than 1% of the residents caught a contagious disease it wouldn’t even register as an outbreak and we’d all be patting ourselves on the back that we’d done such a great job containing it. 

Edited by Sparky74
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

The HEPA filters are a work in progress, and as mentioned there, are fitted in key areas of the medical centre and isolation rooms. That works great until passengers are told to isolate in their cabins, as was the case last week when the isolation rooms were full of crew members.

Perhaps you are right, but if only 4(four) or 10(ten) passengers are currently infected than something is working, don’t you think? 😄

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

So that brings it to a total of 14? Out of 2,000 passengers? That’s only 0.7%
Back when I worked in aged care if less than 1% of the residents caught a contagious disease it wouldn’t even register as an outbreak and we’d all be patting ourselves on the back that we’d done such a great job containing it. 

I think there are less than 2,000 passengers on that cruise. I think I saw someone post that there is about 1,300. If so just over 1%.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think there are less than 2,000 passengers on that cruise. I think I saw someone post that there is about 1,300. If so just over 1%.

There were 1,800 passengers on our 26th June cruise. I agree that there would be fewer than 2,000 passengers on the current  cruise, but I doubt that there would be only 1,300. The cruise was shown as sold out so my guess is that the numbers are around the 1,800 mark, similar to the 26th June cruise.

24 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Perhaps you are right, but if only 4(four) or 10(ten) passengers are currently infected than something is working, don’t you think? 😄

The issues about infections goes back to the previous cruise, where I believe there is a post in this thread saying that the passengers next door were sick, then they got sick. Maybe I misread that bit. Those sick passengers were isolating in their cabin, as the dedicated area was full, presumably of crew.

I think the only reason as many as 10 have tested positive is that they were required to test to disembark in Eden and Sydney. If the cruise wasn't on amber status, most of them wouldn't have tested at all. It is only Wednesday, and all of those 10 should have been healthy on Saturday. If everything is working, the numbers should still be low when they return to Brisbane. I am curious if QLD health also wants them to test before disembarking.

Apart from this blip, the protocols are all working. It is only about preventing an outbreak, not keeping the ship covid free. As the crew serve their isolation period, hopefully all the numbers drop over the next few days and we can resume a normal course.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There were 1,800 passengers on our 26th June cruise. I agree that there would be fewer than 2,000 passengers on the current  cruise, but I doubt that there would be only 1,300. The cruise was shown as sold out so my guess is that the numbers are around the 1,800 mark, similar to the 26th June cruise.

It was sold out, but all passengers were offered the chance to be refunded if they had concerns about the elevated levels of covid. There would have been some takers, but I am thinking not 4 or 5 hundred.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

It was sold out, but all passengers were offered the chance to be refunded if they had concerns about the elevated levels of covid. There would have been some takers, but I am thinking not 4 or 5 hundred.

I overlooked the offer that was made for passengers to cancel. We don't know how many, but might hear another report of the number of passengers on board.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Remember Princess offered FCCs to people who didn't want to risk cruising and apparently quite a few people took that option.

It's been quoted as having 2300 passengers and crew onboard, assuming that figure was accurate. So given the crew numbers that makes 1,400 passengers roughly which is a bit higher than the first number I quoted.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Much more likely to be unmasked people partying hard - shouting, laughing, etc which extends the transmission distance of exhaled particles - like the big group we saw one night in the Wheelhouse Bar.

Phew I was thinking you were talking about our meet and greet fir a minute!!!!🥰

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Also the code amber was for the previous cruise, and this one wont be determined until the new infections/still infected are reported on Friday. Hopefully the numbers are lower.

So if the numbers of infected on the ship rise close to the code Red level( which would not be a good look for the industry){but the press would love it}, would Princess move some of the recuperating crew off the ship into hotels for a few days, outbreak controlled? Rejoin at a nearby port in a couple of days. Or are they bound to keep the crew on board?

• Like 1