Warning if your about to cruise on Coral.

3 hours ago, brin282 said:

I pulled of the coral pricne 22 August.  Not take any risks as heard that going to cancell all of Coral curies from August.

I very much doubt all the cruises ftom August will be cancelled. Princess is handling the onboard cases as expected despite what the gutter press implies. Covid is in the community and you are as much at risk there than onboard Coral. 

After a wonderful cruise two weeks ago, we're pulling out of the butchered 22nd August cruise and replacing it with the 3rd September cruise which connects with our previously booked 13th September cruise giving us 19 days onboard - as long as we can avoid catching Covid in one of our local shopping centres that is!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I thought about that possibility after I posted my comment. This is probably the most likely scenario - that a crew member contracted the virus while ashore. BTW, crew were allowed to go ashore prior to this outbreak. The fact that nearly all the COVID cases are crew members makes this is the most likely cause - not passengers lying about their RAT test results.

Not necessarily. Unfortunately even the KR94 and KN95/P2 masks aren't 100% effective against Covid aerosol transmission. And there were people onboard our cruise who were coughing badly yet ignoring the mask rules, like the young woman with the baby who sat next me on the Airlie Beach tender.

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Just to add another perspective to all this. We were on coral 16 June to 3rd July and loved every minute! Staff as always amazing, enjoyed the food, the ship and the experience. and we were fine at all testing.

back home, we live in a lifestyle village! 60 out of the 270 residents contracted covid while we were away on the cruise! All vac cos we have to be here! All ok either mild cold or asymptomatic. They had had a kareoke night!!!

we were safer on the ship lol

Sorry to hear that.

Quick, tell the media. I can just see the headline - "Major Outbreak at Old Folks Home" 🙄🤣

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that a sector of Emerald was the quarantine sector?

And why wonder about the HVAC instead of careless, thoughtless passengers? More likely to be an unwashed/unsanitised passenger passing by, wiping their hands on stairway bannisters than the AC.

Much more likely to be unmasked people partying hard - shouting, laughing, etc which extends the transmission distance of exhaled particles - like the big group we saw one night in the Wheelhouse Bar.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not necessarily. Unfortunately even the KR94 and KN95/P2 masks aren't 100% effective against Covid aerosol transmission. And there were people onboard our cruise who were coughing badly yet ignoring the mask rules, like the young woman with the baby who sat next me on the Airlie Beach tender.

I feel that the fact that 114 out of 188 cases of COVID are crew members, indicates that this outbreak originated with the crew. A crew member could have caught it from a passenger on the previous cruise, or when ashore during the previous cruises.

It's unfortunate that a young woman sat next to you coughing. Luckily, I didn't encounter anyone noticeably coughing during the cruise - that isn't to say that they weren't.

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that a sector of Emerald was the quarantine sector?

And why wonder about the HVAC instead of careless, thoughtless passengers? More likely to be an unwashed/unsanitised passenger passing by, wiping their hands on stairway bannisters than the AC.

In the sequence tracing aboard Diamond Princess, the HVAC system was found to be the weak link that bypassed all the cleaning and sanitation efforts. The genome tracing found it spreading through blocks of cabins that shared the same air. You can sanitise your hands, but not so easy to sanitise the air.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel that the fact that 114 out of 188 cases of COVID are crew members, indicates that this outbreak originated with the crew. A crew member could have caught it from a passenger on the previous cruise, or when ashore during the previous cruises.

It's unfortunate that a young woman sat next to you coughing. Luckily, I didn't encounter anyone noticeably coughing during the cruise - that isn't to say that they weren't.

Please say that 188 is a typo 😲

16 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Before the Coral Princess' first cruise, Princess announced that passengers who test positive will be quarantined on board, receive medical treatment free of charge and receive a pro rata refund of their cruise fare as a FCC. At the end of the cruise, if they have not completed their seven days' isolation, they will be transported to their home free of charge if it is within two hours' drive. If they live further away, they will complete their quarantine in a quarantine hotel, the cost paid by Princess.

If this is still the case, I am going to feel better looked after onboard, than if I had cancelled and did a land package in a dodgy resort, that doesn't have to report outbreaks. Sticking with our B2B booking Aug12/22. Glad I booked a balcony and will get the 4th jab in a few days to get as many things going in my favour as possible.

Note our cabin has been moved (just like Geoff's?) from Emerald Aft to Aloha Aft(also next to the laundry!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sorry to hear that.

Quick, tell the media. I can just see the headline - "Major Outbreak at Old Folks Home" 🙄🤣

We are definitely NOT an old folks home lol. The average age is I think 65 and it’s only that cos Frank is one of the oldest 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sorry to hear that.

18 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

We are definitely NOT an old folks home lol. The average age is I think 65 and it’s only that cos Frank is one of the oldest 😂😂😂

I thought you’d be impressed by that, Irene. 🤣

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What are you suggesting Marion? All CC posters have to start somewhere.

1 minute ago, Sparky74 said:

I thought you’d be impressed by that, Irene. 🤣

There have been several unusual threads recently with one entry.  One "xdown under" under mine. What would the odds be for that?  I am more than happy to help anyone who asks, as you should be aware if you have followed my 16k entries.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Covid-oki strikes again. No social distancing in the mosh pit?

• Haha 1

This morning a friend sent an sms asking if it was the Coral Princess that I had recently been on. I was able to correct some of the impressions given by the sensationalism of the media. Upon learning about the number of crew testing positive vs the number of passengers, he suggested that to avoid infection one should stay away from the crew. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

There have been several unusual threads recently with one entry.  One "xdown under" under mine. What would the odds be for that?  I am more than happy to help anyone who asks, as you should be aware if you have followed my 16k entries.  

There is a bit of a theme, so I do agree with a bit of skepticism. Most first posts are around booking a first cruise, or jumping into a roll call. I will take at face value, but to make an unsupported claim like that does smell a bit trollish. Apologies to the poster if that is genuinely what you are being advised, and welcome to CC. 

• Like 2

I wonder how long Channel 9 have been sitting on this report waiting for the 'right' time to air.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2022/07/under-investigation-july-14.html

Nine has slated a new episode of Under Investigation, hosted by Liz Hayes for Thursday night at 7:30pm.

In the wake of this week’s Covid outbreak on the Coral Princess – an Under Investigation special report on the dark side of the cruise industry and whether passenger ships should be sailing again.

7:30pm Thursday July 14 on Nine (8pm in Brisbane)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yeah. You are correct. 🙂The 188 I typed should have been 118. Sorry and thanks for pointing out my mistake.

As long as Liz Hayes doesn't quote your figures, we will let it slide.

And for all you future cruise passengers that have repeatedly wanted the covid numbers published for each cruise - the past two days is what you get when there are numbers out there.

It didn't need 118, they would have fired-up if they knew there was as much as 10. They have been hiding in the shadows waiting for a number to pin to their story.

• Haha 1

Just to further highlight the hypocrisy of the media demonising the cruise industry …

”In a move that will be welcomed by millions of travellers entering Australia, Qantas has announced it will no longer require a vaccine mandate for passengers entering the country.

From July 19, the Australian airline will scrap the requirement for all international passengers to be vaccinated against Covid-19.”

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/qantas-removes-vaccination-mandate-for-passengers-on-international-flights/news-story/7d7e474bab0c728e871410c2063e3b35

would love to see the media look at the numbers of positive cases from those flights….

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

This morning a friend sent an sms asking if it was the Coral Princess that I had recently been on. I was able to correct some of the impressions given by the sensationalism of the media. Upon learning about the number of crew testing positive vs the number of passengers, he suggested that to avoid infection one should stay away from the crew. 🤣

We have had similar questions esp from some of our friends here lol I said we were obviously safer on the ship 😂😂😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Lol, according to my granddaughter, that qualifies as one. Perspective  I suppose

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Lol, according to my granddaughter, that qualifies as one. Perspective  I suppose

Haha I appreciate the perspective of grandkids. Mine refer to me as their techno granny cos on a rare occasion I have taught them a new trick on the computer hehe

Edited by Cbtours