The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 15th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I'm a bit later than usual today because DH wanted to get in and out of Kroger early today, so we left after exercise and breakfast.  Looks like a nice day so far out there.  It's about 80 and we should reach 89 at the peak of the day. As I sit in my sunroom with all its windows, I'm so glad we chose a house with the rear of the home facing north.  That's where the many windows are so it stays cooler facing this way. 

I heard from my DD this morning.  She said she home tested negative!  So she's out of quarantine.  However her DH felt bad all day yesterday so he tested then and it was negative.  This morning he tested positive.   Can you believe it?  

I was notified that Buddy's funeral (visitation and burial) will be tomorrow.  Their 17 year old son will return to his out of town technical college Sunday and will only be one week behind his class.  Their daughter can go back to her job as a preschool teacher.  Her preschool threatened to replace her since she missed 2 weeks of work with her Dad in such critical condition followed by hospice.  Luckily Amy's brother is a lawyer who works for the State's unemployment division and he advised them they would be in a lot of trouble if they gave away Kaylee's job while she's on leave for this.  I mean seriously?  Use common sense people!  I wish we didn't live so far away at times like this but no way can we get there for the funeral.  I will be there in spirit though.

Back to the Daily!  The port of Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island sounds like a good one.  I haven't been there before and hope we get some photos displayed here. We have never had that port of the day before.   Pet fire safety is a good cause, as well as respecting Canada.  I should be giving away some of the stuff we have around here.  I hope we can squeeze in a visit to our children in Ohio and Michigan before fall.  They are all so busy!  We bought each of them a Go-Pro with our onboard credit on Island Princess (and one for ourselves), and I want to Give Them Away!  So that fits.  I will probably pass on the menu suggestion but great job @0106filling in for Debbie.  And the photos are fine.  Mine are always large too and no one complains.  I feel like I understand the quote today and appreciate Rich's explanation.  Thanks also Rich @richwmn for doing a such a great job bringing us all together each day.  Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Many prayers for all who are suffering or in a bad place.  Also cheers to each and every one of you on the Celebration list.  So many cruisers!  Have a wonderful time and safe travels. 

Carol @mamaofamiI understand you wishing you could help your Covid positive son.  Try not to worry too much because he's no doubt had all his "shots" and will probably have only mild symptoms.  And Jake @Crazy For Catsthat credit card problem sounds pretty shady.  I would not like doing business at that drug store at all.  Hope it is all resolved and someone is held accountable.  

I've probably forgotten some of the people I wanted to comment about but will add later as it all comes back to me.  Have a wonderful Friday everyone!

I'm pleased to hear your daughter tested negative Sandi.

What a good job Amy's brother is a lawyer and was able to offer excellent advice.

Prayers 🙏 for Buddy's funeral tomorrow for all his family.

It is good you have a cool sunroom to enjoy in those temperatures.

Take care.

Graham 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another beautiful sunny morning in the PNW, heading to a comfortable 75F.  

It's always a good idea to have a sticker letting firefighters know there's a pet in the house in the unfortunate case of a fire. Living close to the Canadian border, I have respected Canada all my life.  We seem to always have a box of items waiting to be given away, but I need to add to it!

Will pass on the meal and drink, but the wine sounds good (I seem to say that a lot) 😂

Kangaroo Island is on our Grand Australia itinerary for 2024, I look forward to any photos.

Yesterday I got those Boxwood shrubs all dug out, now to plan what to put in their place. 😉  

DH has a colonoscopy this morning, so a lot of my morning will be spent transporting him back and forth.  Then hopefully a quiet afternoon of gardening and visiting with neighbors.  

Have a great day everyone!

Prayers 🙏 for a clear colonoscopy for your husband today.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

And all these years I've been thinking that Scout's teacher didn't want her to read because it showed her up in a school system that would have preferred all ignorant vs, the entitled.

@0106  another reason I like your big pictures, is that I'm legally blind, (and old) and can actually see the food!

@StLouisCruisersas my mamma would say, if it's not one thing, it's another.  I hope your daughter is feeling strong enough post Covid to take care of the rest of the family.

To all of you, stay strong, wear your mask, and take care of each other.   Hugs.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

We visited Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island in 2015. The only kangaroos we saw were on road signs, but we were able to get up close with huge numbers of sea lions. We also had a rare (I am told) sighting of an echidna, rooting around for tasty bugs.

KI1.jpg

KI2.jpg

KI3.jpg

KI4.jpg

KI5.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 10

45 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Didn’t know we had a respect Canada  day, eh.. Sorry to hear even more Covid, hope they will be mild. 
@Vict0riann thank goodness for those apple tags, hope it arrives soon.  We loved .Copenhagen,  

@dfishbon voyage 

@0106 great photos, I have some Basque heritage so found it interesting.  I also used to teach .English so loved your explanation,  I think we never know how much we miss something until it’s gone. 
@kazu a lovely prize! 

@ottahand7 gorgeous garden

DCEC5C7C-15EA-4F20-ADEE-30ED76B4DA8C.jpeg

AD7E6F04-1A15-4238-AB0F-235DDE15A569.jpeg

BBF67CDD-7D96-46A8-BB8C-C59C7109581B.jpeg

What beautiful flowers!  It's great we have so many green thumbs here on the Daily.

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm pleased to hear your daughter tested negative Sandi.

What a good job Amy's brother is a lawyer and was able to offer excellent advice.

Prayers 🙏 for Buddy's funeral tomorrow for all his family.

It is good you have a cool sunroom to enjoy in those temperatures.

Take care.

Graham 

Thanks Graham!

29 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

And all these years I've been thinking that Scout's teacher didn't want her to read because it showed her up in a school system that would have preferred all ignorant vs, the entitled.

@0106  another reason I like your big pictures, is that I'm legally blind, (and old) and can actually see the food!

@StLouisCruisersas my mamma would say, if it's not one thing, it's another.  I hope your daughter is feeling strong enough post Covid to take care of the rest of the family.

To all of you, stay strong, wear your mask, and take care of each other.   Hugs.

Your Mamma's saying was a popular one in my house growing up, too.  I think DD will do fine.  She hasn't had a lot of symptoms the past few days.  Of course when her DH started showing the same signs of Covid that DD had gone through, he told her he felt like he'd been hit by a Mack truck.  I guess men have a harder time when they're ill, don't they??  🙄

21 minutes ago, RSWBADGER said:

Beautiful sunny day here on the Noordam in Glacier Bay.

16579029255998797636367005278405.jpg

Gorgeous photo of Glacier Bay.  Thanks for sharing it.

18 minutes ago, Dr.Dobro said:

We visited Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island in 2015. The only kangaroos we saw were on road signs, but we were able to get up close with huge numbers of sea lions. We also had a rare (I am told) sighting of an echidna, rooting around for tasty bugs.

KI1.jpg

KI2.jpg

KI3.jpg

KI4.jpg

KI5.jpg

Our first photos of Kangaroo Island!  Thank you for letting us see it.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Just in case anyone who can qualify hasn't seen the thread about OBC on HAL for military service, it works! I applied for DH yesterday afternoon and had a reply this morning that all 3 cruises next year qualified for the $100 credit.  Military, Healthcare & First Responder Appreciation Offer | Holland America Line

@ger_77I loved your grocery bag idea and the creativity of using the tow strap for handles. I'm going to try it next time I'm near a $ store. Thanks!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites. It's another beautiful morning on Maui.

Yesterday we were awakened about 3:30 am with my phone buzzing with birthday wishes for Allen. Friends didn't realize we are 5 hours earlier here than Texas. All in good fun.

When we decided to move to Texas 2 years ago, I went through our house and cleaned it out. All the holiday decorations, coats we wouldn't need, all furniture and cars were sold. We moved to Texas with a little UHaul box. I don't miss a thing.

I'm feeling blue this morning as my sweet sister is leaving today. I had such a great time with her. We're trying to find time in the fall to see one another again.

Allen's birthday was a hit last night. Macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi and lemon drop martinis. Even the singer was great.

Lifting prayers way, way up for our Daily family today. The new covid strains are pretty easily contracted now. Sandi and Roy, thinking of you as your loved ones are laid to rest. God bless.

Cheers,  prayers and blessings 

0714221622_HDR_Edited.thumb.jpg.fe3e7132726155346343176c5c85a921.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add photo
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yesterday we were awakened about 3:30 am with my phone buzzing with birthday wishes for Allen. Friends didn't realize we are 5 hours earlier here than Texas. All in good fun.

When we decided to move to Texas 2 years ago, I went through our house and cleaned it out. All the holiday decorations, coats we wouldn't need, all furniture and cars were sold. We moved to Texas with a little UHaul box. I don't miss a thing.

I'm feeling blue this morning as my sweet sister is leaving today. I had such a great time with her. We're trying to find time in the fall to see one another again.

Allen's birthday was a hit last night. Macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi and lemon drop martinis. Even the singer was great.

Lifting prayers way, way up for our Daily family today. The new covid strains are pretty easily contracted now. Sandi and Roy, thinking of you as your loved ones are laid to rest. God bless.

Beautiful  Photo  of  you  all.

Jim.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for daily report!  We boarded Zaandam Saturday and have had a busy cruise so far!  Lots of excellent lectures, talks, entertainment and food and drink! 

we tendered into our first stops, very efficient operation- but not my favorite mode of getting on and off.  I do like seeing smaller ports!

best wishes to all!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon all you wonderful Dailyite family.  I have been working so hard getting things done here that I just fall into bed.  The submerged sailboat that came with the house is gone.  We spent two days raising it and then cleaning some. Offered it free and it went away today. No more threats of fines for a wreck in the waterway.  Between me and my neighbor and a lawn crew I have reclaimed my back yard.  There was a pile hidden under two years' worth of black berries of a full large trailer load of limbs and tree stuff, but its gone and now I just need to keep it up and decide what to plant and do with the nice size yard. And just now I learned that my house in Oregon got recorded so I am now officially a resident of Alabama. So much weight off my mind.  I think of you guys often and try reading each day but about halfway through there is another chore I need to do, or trash can to fill or something. Life is good. 

• Like 34

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Lovely picture of your sister, husband and yourself Joy.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thanks for daily report!  We boarded Zaandam Saturday and have had a busy cruise so far!  Lots of excellent lectures, talks, entertainment and food and drink! 

we tendered into our first stops, very efficient operation- but not my favorite mode of getting on and off.  I do like seeing smaller ports!

best wishes to all!

Sounds like you are having a lovely time.

I'm really pleased for you both.

Graham 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon from a hot and sunny day at the beach

I have not posted for a few days but have tried to keep up with all the posts.

Tomorrow is the big birthday party for my nephew. His official Bday was the 13th. Many family members flew in and are staying a few days so it has been very hectic ( but fun)!   Today is the golf tournament, I only played 9 holes because I had too much to do. Many offers of help, but sometimes it is easier to do it yourself.  All of us were down on the beach for last nites launch. Some had never seen one, so it was extra exciting.

We are expecting 70 people for this "small party". It is being catered so I just really had to set up the hall, etc. It will mostly be outside but had to arrange for indoor seating " just in case"    It will be fun.

Kangaroo Island is on  our scheduled Australia trip in the fall. I have booked an all day ships excursion. Just me. DH and DD will stay behind. It would be too much for her.  Thanks @Dr.Dobrofor the pictures. I hope to see some kangaroos!

Debbie @dfish Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 21

The weather front and rain that came through yesterday may have done more good than we expected.  Our highs were supposed to return to triple digits, but it's almost 3 pm, and it's 96F.  Fingers crossed 🤞 that the tripe digits might hold off for another day or two.

@marshhawk  I'm sorry the pain doctor didn't have anything offer your DH except what the oncologist had ruled out.  That is good news that your DH has a new campaign.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry your DS has tested positive.  I hope his case is mild and the recovers quickly.

@Crazy For Cats It sounds like it was a wise move to cancel the credit card.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm happy your DD is out of quarantine and has tested negative, but I'm sorry your DSIL has now tested positive.  Hope he also has a mild case and recovers quickly.  I can't believe under the circumstances, the pre-school threatened to fire Amy and Buddy's DD for being with her father during his last days.  Good for Amy's DB coming to the rescue.  Our thoughts are with the family this weekend as they have the funeral.

@0106  Add me to those who like the size of the pictures of the recipe dishes.

@NextOne  Where was this cat when I was cleaning under our bed last week? 🤣

@TiogaCruiser  I think I see why the blue bubble didn't work for  @St. Louis Sal,  She has a period after St. and spaces between the words.  Hope she is doing all right, and I miss her reports.  It sounds like you've been busy this week.

@cruzn single  Mary Kay, I'm glad you made it safely to the Valley of the Sun.  Safe travels with your sister to SE Colorado tomorrow.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I hope Pat's bag makes it there before you leave for the ship.   What a mess.  There was an article on a news site today that Delta used a canceled flight to fly 1000 bags from Heathrow to Detroit with no passengers on the plane.  Talk about thinking outside the box.

@bennybear  The flowers are lovely.  With our heat and almost no rain, they would not stand a chance here.

@Dr.Dobro  Thanks for the pictures of Kangaroo Island.  We may make it there someday.

@SusieKIslandGirl  I'll second that about the Military obc.  DH got it for all eight of our cruises last fall and last spring.  It was easy to apply for it, and it was quickly applied to his bookings.

@Cat in my lap  I'm happy you are having a great cruise.

@lindaler  Linda, you have really been busy, but productive.  It seems you are really settled in to life in Mobile.  Good news that the house sale in Oregon is completed.  

@cunnorl  Charlene, it sounds like the "small party" is going to be a hit.  I know everyone will appreciate all your hard work to get it set  up.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

I would be OK with the meal and the wine would probably be good with it, but I'll skip the cocktail.

I don't think that pet stickers on the doors would help here, because firefighters wouldn't be able to find the Junior Cat. Sometimes I can't.

My presentation yesterday went well; only a few people, as expected, but they participated enthusiastically.

I have a question with little or no relationship to cruises, about home decor and furnishing. I'm thinking of replacing the double bed in my guest room with a daybed or futon, to open up space for exercise equipment (which can be folded up and moved out of the room when there are guests). My thought is that a futon is more comfortable for sitting, but daybed is more comfortable for sleeping, which will be the predominant use in the room, other than looking nice. What is your experience with either?

• Like 20

58 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Tomorrow is the big birthday party for my nephew. His official Bday was the 13th. Many family members flew in and are staying a few days so it has been very hectic ( but fun)!   Today is the golf tournament, I only played 9 holes because I had too much to do. Many offers of help, but sometimes it is easier to do it yourself.  All of us were down on the beach for last nites launch. Some had never seen one, so it was extra exciting.

We are expecting 70 people for this "small party". It is being catered so I just really had to set up the hall, etc. It will mostly be outside but had to arrange for indoor seating " just in case"    It will be fun.

Kangaroo Island is on  our scheduled Australia trip in the fall. I have booked an all day ships excursion. Just me. DH and DD will stay behind. It would be too much for her.  Thanks @Dr.Dobrofor the pictures. I hope to see some kangaroos!

Charlene

Happy birthday for your nephew tomorrow Charlene.

CF584717-26A5-44A4-97D1-8B0594A9F898.gif.4dead2d84240e63b1802ba524077b0af.gif

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I would be OK with the meal and the wine would probably be good with it, but I'll skip the cocktail.

I don't think that pet stickers on the doors would help here, because firefighters wouldn't be able to find the Junior Cat. Sometimes I can't.

My presentation yesterday went well; only a few people, as expected, but they participated enthusiastically.

I have a question with little or no relationship to cruises, about home decor and furnishing. I'm thinking of replacing the double bed in my guest room with a daybed or futon, to open up space for exercise equipment (which can be folded up and moved out of the room when there are guests). My thought is that a futon is more comfortable for sitting, but daybed is more comfortable for sleeping, which will be the predominant use in the room, other than looking nice. What is your experience with either?

We went with a sofa bed which is very comfortable for watching TV or knitting for DW. 

We also in our first Florida home went with a Murphy bed with nice shelving on each side, very nice piece of furniture.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

it looks like Pat’s bag is still at Heathrow, but I’m still hoping it will appear in Copenhagen  later this evening.  The hotel lady says they do deliveries all night, but if it isn’t here by check-out, we will head for the airport and try to find it.  The AirTag app has a way of telling you if you’re getting closer.  I hope. 

Gerry is that $2300 a Canadian thing?  I don’t see that much for the EU, just a few hundred, and evidently it can take months or never appear at all…. Pat has filed a claim though, to get started.   Still hoping for the bag, though.  

Here's the link to the Air Passenger Protection site; if you scroll down you'll see the portion titled If Your Baggage is Lost, Damaged or Delayed - it spells out what you should do.

https://rppa-appr.ca/eng/notice/airport-congestion-and-flight-issues?destination=node/256

Good luck to you; I hope for the sake of ease, that it appears in your hotel tonight, otherwise the two of you have some shopping to do instead of seeing the sights.

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Joy, the photo with your sister and Allen is adorable!  I'm sure you'll miss her a lot, but hope you can get together again very soon.

2 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

best wishes to all!

So nice to hear you are enjoying your cruise so much!  I'm glad to hear your ship was able to make it into the tender ports, even if it's not the most enjoyable way to arrive there.  Smaller ports are great!

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Good afternoon all you wonderful Dailyite family.  I have been working so hard getting things done here that I just fall into bed.  The submerged sailboat that came with the house is gone.  We spent two days raising it and then cleaning some. Offered it free and it went away today. No more threats of fines for a wreck in the waterway.  Between me and my neighbor and a lawn crew I have reclaimed my back yard.  There was a pile hidden under two years' worth of black berries of a full large trailer load of limbs and tree stuff, but its gone and now I just need to keep it up and decide what to plant and do with the nice size yard. And just now I learned that my house in Oregon got recorded so I am now officially a resident of Alabama. So much weight off my mind.  I think of you guys often and try reading each day but about halfway through there is another chore I need to do, or trash can to fill or something. Life is good. 

Linda, I'm happy to hear how much work you've been able to get done on your new place!  It gives you a real sense of accomplishment and ownership.  Enjoy your new home state, your time spent with your son, and your home on the water.  It's good to see you back here.

There are several people whom we haven't seen on the Daily for a while.  Besides @St. Louis SalI've been wondering how Connie @msmayor, her DD and DGD are doing?  And what has Julia @JAM37been up to lately?  I hope we will hear that all are well and enjoying life very soon.

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Charlene

Your nephew's party sounds like it will be a blast!  That's quite a lot of guests coming.  Think maybe I could crash and blend in with the crowd?  😇  Just kidding.  Try not to work TOO hard.   You wouldn't want to be so tired you won't enjoy yourself.  I'm sure it will all be lovely.  And happy birthday to your nephew!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1