Id For Boarding - Lost License

34 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Wow, you’re right! I decided to look into REAL ID, but there are no appointments available by me, although some others have slots open in September. I have a passport.

I got that before the big Covid cluster. I had to wait a couple of months then to get an appointment so the shortage of those isn’t new. The good thing is once you get there with your appointment you’re in and out pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

We are in NJ too, same day, no temporary, but getting that appointment..

NJ no longer issues replacement or renewal licenses at the MVC offices. They are mailed to you.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/liclost.htm

Due to a 2020 security change, Licenses/IDs are no longer printed in person. Even if you process a renewal (or a duplicate) at an agency, it will be mailed to you.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

NJ no longer issues replacement or renewal licenses at the MVC offices. They are mailed to you.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/liclost.htm

Due to a 2020 security change, Licenses/IDs are no longer printed in person. Even if you process a renewal (or a duplicate) at an agency, it will be mailed to you.

😂 figures! We no longer have cheaper gas prices either. Next they’ll be making us Jersey girls pump 🤨

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

If you are a AAA member, try getting an appointment for a real ID there.  I have 4 AAA stores within a short drive of me that all have DMV in them, got an appointment easily.  Not sure if they have that in NJ, they do in MA.

I’ve been a AAA member since I was 17, but I don’t think we can do that in NJ, our DMV is a hot mess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Won’t they only give him a temporary license, there isn’t a picture.  My daughter went yesterday to the DMV.  Maybe he can bring expired passport with picture along with temp license.

True. Not really related to short notice but last yr renewed my Enhanced DL to Real Enhanced DL. Did it ONLINE, and they just sent me a new one good for 4+ yrs with old Picture from 4yrs ago, shipped it to State I was in not where it was issued. So much for Security... That said 40yrs ago my DL was stole out of storage room while in Boot Camp, State sent me new DL w/o a Picture. Was supposed get new one with Picture at some point and didnt until it expired 4yrs later. Picture ID needed? Had my Military ID w/Pic

3 hours ago, flamingos said:

WOW. I have never heard of that! 

Michigan and Illinois don't give you the license when you apply.  Both print it off-site and mail it to you.

In Michigan, the temporary paper license doesn't have a photo.  In Illinois, the temporary paper license includes an exact replica of your official license, including photo.  

As for the OP's situation, this is why it's good to have multiple forms of official ID.  In addition to my DL, I have my Global Entry card, my passport, and my passport card, all of which have my photo on them and are government-issued IDs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Michigan and Illinois don't give you the license when you apply.  Both print it off-site and mail it to you.

In Michigan, the temporary paper license doesn't have a photo.  In Illinois, the temporary paper license includes an exact replica of your official license, including photo.  

Also, as I discovered, Illinois is one of the states that lists your weight on your license for all the world to see.  Having lived in Michigan (which records your weight for law enforcement records access but doesn't print it on your license) for over half a century, this was a VERY rude awakening for me.  I might have to move back to Michigan!

12 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

Just a little compassion for the grandson. I have a son who repeatedly lost his wallet/DL in his college years. He is successfully adulting these days.

only lost the kids once at Disneyland and once at the county fair. 

😝

• Haha 3

I suggest brainstorming with him on where he might have misplaced his DL. If he didn’t lose the wallet there can’t be that many opportunities to lose it. He might have an eureka moment.  He should also check his wallet again. I had a credit card missing and after I replaced it I found it in a hidden sleeve inside my wallet. 

An expired passport can be used as photo identification in some cases. TSA has been accepting documents expired less than a year ago.

In the thread from April that someone else already posted back as Post #19 on the bottom of page 1, RCL allowed that person to use a photo of an expired DL that was on their phone as ID. 

If he's ever had to email a copy of his DL for a lease or loan paperwork, that approach might work.

Edited by Lane Hog

I am guessing that the supervisor at the port would likely accept the collective photo ID of his college issued student photo ID, along with his expired passport (used for photo ID purposes only).  Maybe add in his photo Costco ID for good measure.

The supervisor at the port would have to think long and hard whether or not to deny someone traveling who lost their DL, but can provide additional photo proof of identity.

I would go to the pier and hope for the best.  I betting that he gets on the ship.

5 minutes ago, LeeW said:

As others have said, expired passports are still a valid photo ID.  So is a college ID.  Either should work fine with an official birth certificate.

I’m surprised if a college ID can be used because I thought it had to be a government issued photo ID.