$49K for a trip for 2 to Antartica? No refunds?

Packetf1re

Swan has a new vessel "Minerva" (a 150-passenger ship) which will cruise from Ushuaia to the Antarctic peninsula, then to Deception, Elephant, South Georgia, and Falklands Islands, and back.  19 Days total, focused on penguin colonies of 8 speicies of penguins, and with 3 esteemed U Washington PhDs who do penguin and cetacean research taking on the interpreter/naturalist roles.  This is clearly not a low-end cruise at all, but there is nothing but self-purchased "Travel Insurance" to protect the traveler, as both Swan and the booking agent disclaim any/all refunds, and they will Covid-test everyone before boarding, and deny boarding to anyone who tests positive. They also require Medivac insurance at minimum.

Prices are: Cruise $43,380 (one story above waterline deck, with a balcony, all-inclusive price), Airfare to Buenos Aries $2200 (economy), Travel insurance ~$3500

Looking at other cruises, they seem to cost far less, perhaps for a less "luxury" cruise, and they seem to be willing to offer a future cruise if you are unlucky enough to catch Covid, at Buenos Aires (airport and one night's hotel) or on the charter flight to Ushuaia.  Given that Argentina is still a Level 3 (High) rating from CDC, I am unsure as to how to look at this:

1) Are we fools for paying so much, when we could seemingly go twice for this price in a less elegant ship, and with less-esteemed naturalists?  Absolutely everything is included, down to "open bar" and all gratuities, but still... pricey.

2) Are we fools to book at all with a cruise line offering no consideration for Covid risks, while forcing us to be exposed to a greater risk of possible infection via a forced night's stay in Buenos Aries?

3) Looking at travel insurance, what happens if husband or wife tests positive for COVID?  Is only that person's coverage invoked?  Or can one actually get the entire price of the cruise and airfare paid by the insurance?  (I've never had to deal with travel insurance before)

We have sailed on much smaller cruises, such as those offered by the Variety line (Mediterranean, and Canaries), but these were clearly boutique cruises, with only a few dozen passengers total.  I can't say enough good about being on a small yacht where everyone is on a first-name basis by day 2, moreso when one sees the lines of the crowds waiting in line to board an AIDA cruise ship, and hears the music of Enya (singing "Sail Away", I kid you not!) blasted from speakers all over the ship as it slips lines and heads out. 

So, I am willing to pay a premium, but is this simply beyond the pale for a cruise that spends 6 days of 19 "at sea" in what could be very very rough seas?

Advice needed here - I have 2 weeks to buy insurance, or bail on my deposit, the only thing that is refundable.

Is that price per person, or for a double occupancy cabin? If its per person, yes, I think its high. If its for the cabin with 2 people in the cable, it seems pretty reasonable for a luxury, expedition cruise. In either case, I would absolutely get insurance for the cruise.

I am not sure what the ratio of sea days to cruise length, or the possible bad seas has to do with it. That is part of sailing in that area.

If you have the money (with no competing claims on it), if it is something you really want to do, if you have compared it with comparable excursions and find it not out of line——- go for it.  (I wouldn’t, because my answers to each of the above questions would be “no”, but that’s just me).

1 hour ago, Packetf1re said:

Swan has a new vessel "Minerva" (a 150-passenger ship) which will cruise from Ushuaia to the Antarctic peninsula, then to Deception, Elephant, South Georgia, and Falklands Islands, and back.  19 Days total, focused on penguin colonies of 8 speicies of penguins, and with 3 esteemed U Washington PhDs who do penguin and cetacean research taking on the interpreter/naturalist roles.  This is clearly not a low-end cruise at all, but there is nothing but self-purchased "Travel Insurance" to protect the traveler, as both Swan and the booking agent disclaim any/all refunds, and they will Covid-test everyone before boarding, and deny boarding to anyone who tests positive. They also require Medivac insurance at minimum.

Prices are: Cruise $43,380 (one story above waterline deck, with a balcony, all-inclusive price), Airfare to Buenos Aries $2200 (economy), Travel insurance ~$3500

Looking at other cruises, they seem to cost far less, perhaps for a less "luxury" cruise, and they seem to be willing to offer a future cruise if you are unlucky enough to catch Covid, at Buenos Aires (airport and one night's hotel) or on the charter flight to Ushuaia.  Given that Argentina is still a Level 3 (High) rating from CDC, I am unsure as to how to look at this:

1) Are we fools for paying so much, when we could seemingly go twice for this price in a less elegant ship, and with less-esteemed naturalists?  Absolutely everything is included, down to "open bar" and all gratuities, but still... pricey.

2) Are we fools to book at all with a cruise line offering no consideration for Covid risks, while forcing us to be exposed to a greater risk of possible infection via a forced night's stay in Buenos Aries?

3) Looking at travel insurance, what happens if husband or wife tests positive for COVID?  Is only that person's coverage invoked?  Or can one actually get the entire price of the cruise and airfare paid by the insurance?  (I've never had to deal with travel insurance before)

We have sailed on much smaller cruises, such as those offered by the Variety line (Mediterranean, and Canaries), but these were clearly boutique cruises, with only a few dozen passengers total.  I can't say enough good about being on a small yacht where everyone is on a first-name basis by day 2, moreso when one sees the lines of the crowds waiting in line to board an AIDA cruise ship, and hears the music of Enya (singing "Sail Away", I kid you not!) blasted from speakers all over the ship as it slips lines and heads out. 

So, I am willing to pay a premium, but is this simply beyond the pale for a cruise that spends 6 days of 19 "at sea" in what could be very very rough seas?

Advice needed here - I have 2 weeks to buy insurance, or bail on my deposit, the only thing that is refundable.

Really depends on what your options are. 

However, it’s certainly not “all-inclusive” if you’re paying for the airfare. And, at $1k+ pp/night, it’s hard to believe that bizclass air is not included. Three “esteemed” academics seems a bit much to primarily talk about penguins and whales to a lay audience- that’s an overkill marketing ploy designed to sell the cruise. You’d probably understand/learn more from a Monterey Bay Aquarium staff member.

That said, it’s your money and the importance you place on the trip.

B60439E2-CB80-40DE-A63C-AD167102716B.jpeg

You don't have to spend anywhere as much and you don't have to be on a brand new super luxury expedition ship to see Antarctica.  According to CC rules we are not allowed to discuss TA or other ways to purchase a cruise.  However a bit of WEB searching should help you in this area.

DON

I was a Swan Hellenic cruiser prior to their shutdown. Their specialty was small, cozy all-inclusive cruises with good enrichment. However I don't recall them having any particular expertise in expedition-style cruising. Their prices since re-launch are somewhat eye-watering. 

As a long-time cruiser, I've read some hair-raising stories about expedition cruising. It's not exactly the same as a jaunt around the Med. Were I to be booking such an expedition, I'd look to a line with long experience of this type of cruising (as well as navigating in the specific area) and an equally long safety record. Otherwise your 49K cruise could end up like these:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/23/world/americas/23iht-23ship-sinksub.8461444.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-antarctica-cruiseship/passengers-rescued-from-antarctic-cruise-ship-idUSTRE4B42NW20081205

Safety in regions like this is no joke. I'm not sure everyone really stops to think about risk.

Starting with #3:

"3) Looking at travel insurance, what happens if husband or wife tests positive for COVID?  Is only that person's coverage invoked?  Or can one actually get the entire price of the cruise and airfare paid by the insurance?  (I've never had to deal with travel insurance before)"

For all of our many insured cruises, and two were expeditions to Antarctica, the terms and conditions of the insurance would provide coverage if one of the couple became injured or ill pre-cruise and thus canceled the cruise. There was no expectation that the healthy partner would cruise. Covid was treated as any other illness that would preclude travel. Be aware that the insurance usually does not cover 100% of costs incurred. Recommend you visit the travel insurance board on CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

and that you pay a visit to https://tripinsurancestore.com/

for specific answers to your questions.

"2) Are we fools to book at all with a cruise line offering no consideration for Covid risks, while forcing us to be exposed to a greater risk of possible infection via a forced night's stay in Buenos Aries?"

No. Prepare for covid risks by purchasing a travel insurance policy that meets your needs and covers other potential risks. The burden is on the traveler to protect their financial interests.

"1) Are we fools for paying so much, when we could seemingly go twice for this price in a less elegant ship, and with less-esteemed naturalists?  Absolutely everything is included, down to "open bar" and all gratuities, but still... pricey. "

No. It's so easy to compare numerous cruise lines that do expeditions to Antarctica. Do the research, put together a spreadsheet, and figure out the best expedition for you. Our first expedition was on the Marco Polo (now defunct), an old ship with a fantastic expedition staff that was led by Peter Hillary, son of Sir Edmund. Second expedition was on Seabourn, a luxury experience and great in a different way.

One thing to note: the expedition leaders from all the cruise lines tend to know each other and support each other. They share info between cruise lines about ice conditions and weather.

Antarctica can be the adventure of a lifetime. If you go.

I've spent more than I had to on a trip before because it was the trip I wanted to take. Hopefully you compared other options prior to booking a $43,000 cruise. And I assume that it is in your budget. I would certainly take out trip insurance given the terms of you companies trip. However, on such an expensive cruise, that will not be an insignificant amount. No one besides you can say if this cruise is worth the price.