Maximum age on shore excursions? WHAT?

ddled

If this is on another thread I apologize-I looked but in my old age I probably missed it. My issue is the max age restrictions on some of the shore excursions. WHAT IN THE ... IS ROYAL UP TO NOW?  I am taking a group of 30 retired fossils on Allure Jan 22. A member of our group asked because they wanted to do several excursions and were shut out because of the 65-72 max age limit. Examples in Cozumel included a Salsa dance class, a combination cigar rolling and beach break, anything almost involving any cave with any water in it, some snorkeling trips and so on. About 40% it looks like . Excuse me,  but I walk 20 plus miles per week in humid Texas, kayak and bike the other days. I think I can handle a little ride on an atv, or a salsa class. When did this all come about?  I can see that Royal doesn't want anyone over 65 anymore as passengers-we are diamond, almost plus and they can do what is biologically impossible. I realize they market to younger people, but my advice is do it while you can!   I guess we look for another line, or. private excursions.  Anyone else have thoughts on this? The more I think about it, the madder I get-oops I better calm down, don't want to have a stroke and die!   Thoughts? I am 71 and I guess I am too old to cruise on Royal Caribbean anymore. Pretty soon they can just strap me into a wheel chair when I get on board and feed  me gruel for a week !! wow

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I can honestly say I have seen very few age restriction tours.   I think it has to do with insurance but then again some tours require you to sign a waiver.  I mean age discrimination comes into play and perhaps it is coming from the tour guides in various ports.  

I agree.  We were on a Western Caribbean itinerary with RCI recently, and had to book all our excursions (two snorkling, one bike-riding) privately because apparently 70 year olds are too senile to handle those active outings.  My guess was that it was not so much about insurance, but their thought that those seniors might have a heart attack and die on the dive boat = bad for PR.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just looked on Carnival-no age restrictions, same tours in Cozumel,  Costa Maya.  I may have my last Royal cruise booked-at my age I can't remember where I put my money anyway!  What a rip off!   If anyone from RCL reads these boards, you are alienating an entire part of your base! Next thing on ship they will limit attendance into the lounge or some of the activities at 65.  If Carnival is doing it.....?  Insurance is a convenient excuse-I would not have led 30 of my friends on Royal if I knew this was there policy-Bah Humbug!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We are also booked on a future Royal Caribbean cruise this December and am so troubled by this maximum age requirement on their excursions...we are traveling with my parents that are extremely active and with this requirement we are very limited on what we can do! We are also going to Cozumel, even touring Tulum ruins has max age...ridiculous! We recently cruised on Carnival, last summer on MSC and didn't have this issue at all...will definitely affect our future decisions for cruising!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Age 70 is the max for a Belize bird tour, mostly around the city. Nothing worse than moderate walking. 

I cut off the max age 70. I'm 71. 1 year too old lol. 

20220804_110441583.jpeg

20220817_195218878.jpeg

I understand this restriction completely... 🙂 Bird watching is strenuous and dangerous activity. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

59 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

I understand this restriction completely... 🙂 Bird watching is strenuous and dangerous activity. 

I'm 70, so I guess I'll just stick to my underwater basket weaving.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

This is a really stupid idea because shore excursions are very profitable for cruise lines.  Why would you want to encourage your customers to learn that they can replace your profitable shore excursion with 50 people on a bus with a  cheaper, more convenient smaller one from a private vendor?

My family normally books private excursions' and I'm always amused when we are blocked from the ship excursions because my kids are too young even though the cruislines own subcontractors allow young children to participate if you book directly with them.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s not a ship thing, it’s a tour vendor thing. We couldn’t book a rainforest hike (forget the island, I’m a fossil). We went on our own & ended up passing the ‘young’ group who were having issues making the trail, rookies. Stinks, but that’s what it is & why we normally do our own thing or get a private excursion. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

While looking at excursions for our upcoming cruise on the Harmony I saw this, I agree 70 is way too young, this maximum age might be a tad to old to do the tour...

Exclusive Beach Break at Discovery Bay
Departs at Day 4
9:45 am, 10:15 am
Duration 4hr
Activity Level
Mild
Full participation may require leisurely walking over primarily even surfaces...
Restrictions
Maximum age: 300 years
  • Haha 5

The age restrictions are most likely driven by the insurance policies of the third parties, not RCI or the other cruise lines.  Can't say I agree with them.

When I retire at 65 I don't want any stupid restrictions slowing me down. Although recently in Alaska we had the opposite restrictions, my 22 year old could not drive a jeep since the minimum age limit was 25. And even at 25+, we had to sign waivers.

Lions, and tigers, and birds, oh my!

• Like 1

This is age discrimination!  Just like weight restrictions they should be banned.  People any age at all should be allowed to watch birds and no matter how big I get I should be allowed to ride the hot air balloon in Cococay. 

🎅

• Like 1