Princess Introduces Bidding For Upgrades

Syracusefan44

Princess Cruises guests can now bid on stateroom upgrades as part of the cruise line’s newly introduced Princess Upgrade program. Launching on Sept. 6, Princess Upgrade is a bid-based syste that allows guests the opportunity to secure a coveted upgrade - to oceanview, balcony, deluxe balcony, mini-suite and even a full suite, according to a press release.

Upgrades will be available initially on five North America-based ships (Caribbean Princess, Discovery Princess, Enchanted Princess, Regal Princess and Ruby Princess), with plans to roll out fleetwide by the end of October.

“Upgrading is a popular request from our guests and we’re pleased to deliver a process that lets them improve their stateroom category by making an offer that fits their budget and lifestyle,” said Princess President John Padgett.

The Princess Upgrade process is simple—once the sailing is within the Final Payment period and full payment has been received, guests will receive an invitation to take part in the program and submit a bid – they can bid on any stateroom category that is above the one they are currently booked in. Guests can change or cancel their bid any time before it is accepted.

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/Cruise/articles/Princess-Introduces-Upgrade-Bidding

Edited by Syracusefan44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We've been offered full suite upgrade offers before and took them.  I thought it was a reasonable alternative to booking full price and we enjoyed all the full suite perks.  I would be interested in this program for upgrades such as that.  But having said that -- we always book the specific cabin we want and are willing to pay for it.  We have never booked a guarantee room as we like specific, quiet areas with large balconies 🙂

• Like 3

Respectfully, disagree. As an example, Celebrity, among others, does this. I've successfully bid on upgrades in the past as have others I've known. All I've spoken with think its a neat way to score an upgrade at (each time I've bid successfully) a lower fare than the posted fare.

It's simple, if someone doesn't like it or wishes to disparage it "just because", then don't use it. 🤙

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

I read this and read the linked article. My knee-jerk was that it's fine for people who want to do it, but we probably never would. Explained it to my hubby, and he actually thinks we might do it! Go figure on that. I was sure he'd be against it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Respectfully, disagree. As an example, Celebrity, among others, does this. I've successfully bid on upgrades in the past as have others I've known. All I've spoken with think its a neat way to score an upgrade at (each time I've bid successfully) a lower fare than the posted fare.

It's simple, if someone doesn't like it or wishes to disparage it "just because", then don't use it. 🤙

We’ve done this with numerous Celebrity bookings for years.  If you like the price you can bid on, you go for it, if not, just don’t bother.  Sometimes the savings are substantial and some not so much.  It’s an opportunity to “move up” as they say at Celebrity with zero pressure to do so.  I like it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Knowing how RC and X do their bid programs, I wonder if they'll be using a third party company to run the algorithms in deciding the winners.  Also, suites won by bidding don't get double credit.

Lots of people participate... but many don't because it can take a long time to get a decision, even after you've already boarded and unpacked.

3 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I always book a full suite. I won't do that anymore. Why start out at the highest fare when I can book a cheaper cabin and then bid less then full price. It will save me quite a bit of money. 

Always check the price difference from the minimum bid to a paid upgrade, I had at least one time on RC where the upgrade from Junior Suite (think mini-suite) to a Crown Loft Suite was the same as the minimum bid.

Edited by vjmatty
  • Like 1

Here is a link to the info on their website:

https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-cruise-room-upgrade/

Bid for a Stateroom Upgrade

Make your cruise experience even better with just a bid

Brand NewA cruise room upgrade program that gives you the opportunity to bid for an upgrade on your stateroom at the price you're willing to pay.

How Does Princess Upgrade Work?

1. Check whether your cruise is eligible for bidding on an upgrade.
  2. Browse through the upgrade options available and place your bid(s) to upgrade your stateroom on your upcoming cruise. Making a bid on multiple staterooms will increase your chances of being upgraded, but you’ll only pay for one.
  3. Get notified via email if your request for an upgrade has been approved. If your bid is accepted, you’ll be charged for the upgrade. If not, you’ll enjoy the stateroom you already have and won’t be charged anything additional.

Your bid is priced per person and based on two guests per stateroom for the length of your cruise. 3rd and 4th guests in a stateroom are upgraded without additional cost.

Bidding Eligibility

To be eligible to submit a bid you need to meet the following requirements:

• Must be 21 years or older.
  • The booking must be paid in full.
  • The voyage must be at least five days within final payment.
Voyage length Final payment due before sailing sate Bidding opens before sailing
5 days or less 75 days prior 70 days prior
6-14 days 90 days prior 85 days prior
25+ days 120 days prior 115 days prior

Bidding Opening Soon

Check back to see whether your cruise is eligible for bidding on an upgrade.

Terms & Conditions coming soon.
Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Upgrades: We used to give them away, but now they'll go to the highest bidder.

Another fine innovation from the man behind the Medallion, John Padgett.

In the meanwhile, the new kid on the block, Sir Richard Branson has passengers proclaiming that they have. "The Best Cruise Food Ever".

Keep up the great work JP!

https://youtu.be/j0rINR2VuLU

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I always book a full suite. I won't do that anymore. Why start out at the highest fare when I can book a cheaper cabin and then bid less then full price. It will save me quite a bit of money. 

Because the suites always sell-out.

• Like 12

I'm a solo traveler and so pay a single supplement.  I accept that.  Recently I was offered an upgrade to a mini-suite on a 15 day cruise for $499 or about $33/day.  Not bad, right?  Then I read the fine print, and it says:  for a solo, it's double, or $1,000.  I passed.

Will this bidding process do the same thing?  And will they have a "Buy it Now" feature, like eBay?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

I'm a solo traveler and so pay a single supplement.  I accept that.  Recently I was offered an upgrade to a mini-suite on a 15 day cruise for $499 or about $33/day.  Not bad, right?  Then I read the fine print, and it says:  for a solo, it's double, or $1,000.  I passed.

Will this bidding process do the same thing?  And will they have a "Buy it Now" feature, like eBay?

The below is in the fine print;

Your bid is priced per person and based on two guests per stateroom for the length of your cruise. 3rd and 4th guests in a stateroom are upgraded without additional cost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's been proven in the travel industry (not simply cruises) it is a money maker.

Of course it's usually the loyalist/status holders that have the problem with this (no upgrades for them).

I have no horse in the race so doesn't matter to me whatsoever.

Let those who want to play the game, play 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like it ... it "might" level the playing field - book the cabin /  price you want - still watch for price decreases (wonder if they will be as easy as before to get the re-fare?)

it all depends on the Princess transparency with the 'bidding' process

I'll follow and see if it works for us on the CB in November - but we already have a deluxe true balcony, because that's what we wanted at an acceptable price point.

No harm, no foul - unless you are used to "freebies"

• Like 4