earliest flight from Rome if ship arrives at 5 AM

renji

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Our experience in May disembarking Edge was similar in that walk off began at 6:30, driver was there at 6:45 and we were at FCO slightly past 7:30. We didn’t fare quite as well with check-in, security and passport control, but we still had nearly an hour in the lounge before boarding our 11:00am flight. Incidentally, the earliest recommended flight departure time from Celebrity was 10:40am. 

I’d definitely be stressed about making a 9:55am flight. I had doubts with our 11:00am flight, but we were fortunate not to have any major hiccups.

I wanted to add that we were not in a suite. Walk off began at 6:30 to the ship’s general population. 

• Thanks 1

I do wish people would put the day of the week or date when they quote how easy or difficult it was  to make an early flight...there is a world of difference between traffic  levels on Sundays, Saturdays and weekdays!

Edited by harz99

On 8/20/2022 at 6:07 PM, renji said:

anyone succeeded (or failed) at making a 9:55 flight in Rome (FCO) on 9/5 if we self-disembark, first off the ship (Beyond)?  United Business and we can have a driver at the port early...

will appreciate all advice!

currently on a 12:55, but the 9:55 is nonstop....

If you've never been to Rome before, you should know that check-in for the international flights to the US are at a remote terminal with several security checks in addition to the normal passport control and airline check-in.  After you actually check-in there is a shuttle bus ride to the main terminal.  This can be a time-consuming process with long lines.

I think your 9.55 flight is too risky in June we had a 11.30 flight to the UK & we self disembarked at 0645 - we were one of the 1st to disembark. We had pre booked a private transfer & got to the airport business class check in desk with plenty of time but getting through security & immigration was a nightmare. You may strike lucky but it is a big gamble for such an early flight  P.S it was on a Monday 
From what I have heard it will take even longer for US departures

Edited by lydnsyd
  • Like 1

We have an intra-eu flight at 10.50, have booked a shuttle for 8.00. Should leave us about 2h before the flight and that SHOULD be ok in normal circumstances. Just hoping there aren't any surprisingly long queues then.

16 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

If you've never been to Rome before, you should know that check-in for the international flights to the US are at a remote terminal with several security checks in addition to the normal passport control and airline check-in.  After you actually check-in there is a shuttle bus ride to the main terminal.  This can be a time-consuming process with long lines.

FWIW, we had a FCO-EWR United flight three months ago, and everything was in Terminal 3. We didn’t have to shuttle to another building. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BEAV said:

FWIW, we had a FCO-EWR United flight three months ago, and everything was in Terminal 3. We didn’t have to shuttle to another building. 

Interesting.  Here's what it listed on the airport website.  It looks like everyone should check the status of this work and check on the reopening of Terminal 5.

Please note that Rome Airport Terminal 5 is temporary closed due to refurbishment works. 

Rome Fiumicino Airport Terminal 5 (FCO) operates with direct flights to Israel and the United States.

• Like 1

Don’t do it! All it takes is experience the Rome airport once, and you’ll have a good laugh that you ever considered it. First, the drive is about 1-1.5 hours to the airport depending on traffic. Then, you can wait in a 1-2 hour line to check in, followed by another hour long at Security. You’re already supposed to be at the airport 3 hours before departure. 

We arrived at the Rome airport 3 hours before departure and almost missed our flight!

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 6:07 PM, renji said:

anyone succeeded (or failed) at making a 9:55 flight in Rome (FCO) on 9/5 if we self-disembark, first off the ship (Beyond)?  United Business and we can have a driver at the port early...

will appreciate all advice!

currently on a 12:55, but the 9:55 is nonstop....

We would not chance a 9:55 in the best of times and this is currently the worst of times (when it comes to airports and airlines).    But lets talk about how to do it...if you must.  You certainly should express debarkation which means you must haul all of your luggage off the ship.  You also should arrange a private transfer (we recommend Romecabs.com or Romeinlimo.com).    It normally will take about 50-55 minutes for the drive, assuming your driver has a lead foot and there are no issues with traffic (most of the trip will be on 4+ lane highways).   Normally we would suggest that you be at FCO by 7:00 for a 9:55 flight but that means being on your way (from the port) by 6 am.  This is not likely going to happen (and you will pay extra for a very early morning transfer).  If you would get to the airport by 8 (much more realistic) this leaves you in a very tight check-in situation.  A 6:30am private transfer would certainly improve your odds 🙂  But flying Business Class does generally get you a faster check-in line.  I am not sure if the current security scheme at FCO would also get you some kind of priority line.  

If I had some confidence that United could get me on a later flight (without charging extra) I might take the chance since we do love Business Class :).  But just know that you are taking a risk and make sure you are comfortable with a Plan B....in case you miss that early flight.

Hank

On 8/26/2022 at 6:22 AM, El_Rolfo said:

We have an intra-eu flight at 10.50, have booked a shuttle for 8.00. Should leave us about 2h before the flight and that SHOULD be ok in normal circumstances. Just hoping there aren't any surprisingly long queues then.

I was about to reply to your post but decided to read the rest before I did. You might want to consdier changing your shuttle pick-up for 7:00. Read post 33. This response saved me from typing the very thing.

18 hours ago, BEAV said:

We were on exactly this same flight in June 2022 and also did not need to take a shuttle.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:15 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

That was a temporary situation that has now been remedied. They had everyone going on flights with destinations in US or Israel routed to a single terminal while they installed the necessary security screening machinery in the other terminals.  Now FCO has gone back to having certain Terminals dedicated to certain airlines (and by destination).

You can see which Terminal your airlines uses here:  https://www.ifly.com/rome-leonardo-da-vinci-airport/airlines-served

That's not to say that allowing 3 hours isn't still recommended, especially in peak travel months.

Another caution, if your cruise is in the fall,  there have been times when they are late arriving due to storms,   That would throw everything off.

my suggestion,  stay at the airport Hilton.  Use the saving to stay at the hotel and go direct the next day, and spend the day you have in Rome.   Even have the transfer drop your luggage at the hotel and you in Central Rome.   We did this previously with friends.  Spend the day in Rome, take the hotel shuttle back if it’s running or the train if it’s not.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 11:06 PM, Loracpin2 said:

I was about to reply to your post but decided to read the rest before I did. You might want to consdier changing your shuttle pick-up for 7:00. Read post 33. This response saved me from typing the very thing.

Ye, just read it... might have to wiggle a little and get it earlier.

13 hours ago, El_Rolfo said:

Ye, just read it... might have to wiggle a little and get it earlier.

We have seven flights out of Rome under our belt and have never made it from the port to FCO in less than an hour and a half.  If I wre you I would add at least one hour to your "wiggle room".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

We have seven flights out of Rome under our belt and have never made it from the port to FCO in less than an hour and a half.  If I wre you I would add at least one hour to your "wiggle room".

I did go ahead and change it to 7, hopefully that works out ok. Can't go much earlier or we'll have to grab a shuttle from open sea!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El_Rolfo said:

I did go ahead and change it to 7, hopefully that works out ok. Can't go much earlier or we'll have to grab a shuttle from open sea!

Could work for the very positive as well and you'll be spending more time than needed at FCO.

Ugggg, all this talk had me go and look at our 10:30am flight on September 26th.  There is NOTHING I can do to change it.  I'll have to pray that the flight is delayed or we get there in plenty of time.  

Disembarked Reflection in Civitavecchia this morning around 6:45. In booked Stefano's Rome Cab at 6:50-ish and at the airport by 7:45. I am flying business, so using the priority lines for check-in and security, I was through to the duty-free theme park about 8:20. Flight is at 11:05, so I am happy. 😊 Just providing a data point.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 12:45 PM, calicakes said:

Ugggg, all this talk had me go and look at our 10:30am flight on September 26th.  There is NOTHING I can do to change it.  I'll have to pray that the flight is delayed or we get there in plenty of time.  

So, did you make your flight? The schedule for my flight would be 10:30 as well if it stays the same next year. United to Dulles in Virginia 

13 hours ago, BethesdaSC said:

So, did you make your flight? The schedule for my flight would be 10:30 as well if it stays the same next year. United to Dulles in Virginia 

Yes!!!.  We walked off with our luggage at 6:30am. We were in a Suite so we met at Michael's club and went out a "special door".  Our transportation was waiting for us, it took 45 min to get to the airport.  We got thru security quickly and even had time to sit in the American Airlines lounge and have breakfast.  We arrived at the lounge around 8:45am. We didn't have to go through any other immigration process.   Unfortunately, our flight to JFK was delayed by almost 2 hours so we missed our connection to LAX.  Typical Murphy's law.   We shared Rome Cab( a large sprinter van) with another couple who had a 10am flight and they made their flight too. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:44 PM, bennybear said:

Another caution, if your cruise is in the fall,  there have been times when they are late arriving due to storms,   That would throw everything off.

This is really worth noting if you can't afford to miss your flight. We had exactly this situation on RCI:s Wonder on Sept 29. Acc. to Captain's announcement in the morning, the Port Authority had closed off the port during the night due to stormy conditions. Only around 7.30 am did they start letting the cruise ships into port one by one. If I remember correctly, they started clearing the ship sometime after 8.30 am (no issue for us as we were staying in Rome so I didn't pay very close attention to the exact timings, but the delay was rather significant).

Edited by Maria63
  • Thanks 1

Sat. Sept 5th, disembarked Celebrity Edge with self walk off, met prearranged private transport at 8AM, got at the airport around 9/9:15AM. Catched an Amsterdam (Schengen EU) flight at 10:20AM.

We did bought in advance the Fast Track security that FCO sells for 7 Euro per person https://www.romeairports.com/fiumicino_en/fast-track.html but could did not see a serious queue at the regular security filter in our terminal. Checking in our luggage for KLM (shared with Air France) took most of our time, not a fast moving line but also nothing out of the ordinary. You just wish your line is moving fast when time is ticking. :classic_biggrin:

Pre-Covid we even rescheduled a noon flight to 10:30AMish flight to Amsterdam after getting at the airport early, same timeframe but on a sunday I think.

3 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Sat. Sept 5th, disembarked Celebrity Edge with self walk off, met prearranged private transport at 8AM, got at the airport around 9/9:15AM. Catched an Amsterdam (Schengen EU) flight at 10:20AM.

We did bought in advance the Fast Track security that FCO sells for 7 Euro per person https://www.romeairports.com/fiumicino_en/fast-track.html but could did not see a serious queue at the regular security filter in our terminal. Checking in our luggage for KLM (shared with Air France) took most of our time, not a fast moving line but also nothing out of the ordinary. You just wish your line is moving fast when time is ticking. :classic_biggrin:

Pre-Covid we even rescheduled a noon flight to 10:30AMish flight to Amsterdam after getting at the airport early, same timeframe but on a sunday I think.

Intra Europe flights are far easier to make than flights to a US airport. Don't want US bound flyers to think they can get through FCO in less than 2 hours.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I am looking at a 1pm flight from Rome (FCO) to The US (connecting in LHR).  Is that too early on disembarkation day?  Will either the ship offer transfers or am I better off booking a private transfer.  It will be a Monday.

thank you

Edited by Baseball fan