The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 2nd, 2022

richwmn

These are just some of vegetables we picked last week at Our Neighbors' Garden for Food Rescue who delivers our harvest to local food banks and meal sites. Yesterday, we picked another 230 lbs of produce. I love volunteering at Our Neighbors' Garden!

Screenshot_20220902-112225.thumb.png.11bc9ff8cc441066743ac78648a0223c.png

Today, looking out on West Grand Traverse Bay, I can see Ponant's LeDumont D'Uerville currently on a 7-day Great Lakes Cruise from Toronto and stopping here on its way to Milwaukee.

Screenshot_20220902-110245.thumb.png.f9c360b0fdc040e2ef60fe0ebfbee87e.png

And, tonight, we will definitely be wearing the Green & White as DH's alma mater, Michigan State, opens its season against Western Michigan.

Screenshot_20220902-112710.thumb.png.8fd6548a5291e3c05bae149af3491ffa.png

Go Green! Go White!

-Melisa

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  The picture of VJ Day reminds me of our visits to the USS Missouri and standing in that very place.  Along with the USS Arizona - "The Bookends of WWII!"  I enjoy volunteering at the Food Bank at my Step-D's church.  At their monthly event, a grocery car of food is given to each of about 200-250 families.  Thank you Food Bank of the Rockies for their huge deliveries each month.

I haven't posted at all this week and know I have missed many birthdays and anniversaries.  Best wishes to all.  

This week has been quite difficult, but I wanted to post to share some important information I was given about Covid boosters, and variant booster.  When I scheduled my mammogram, I had to attest that I hadn't had a booster in the six weeks prior.  After the mammogram, I got my appointment for my second booster.  When I went to the Health Department yesterday for the 2nd booster, they said that they anticipated delivery of the variant booster by the end of next week.  If I opted for the 2nd booster then I would have to wait for TWO months before I could get the variant booster.  From the discussion yesterday, they advised the 2 month break between booster and variant, or 2 months between variant and then booster.  I just wanted to pass this along, as it could affect some of those who have recently gotten their 1st or 2nd booster!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Mary Kay

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Thanks. Quote went over this boy’s dragon-free head. So VOLENDAM is still hosting Ukraine refugees?? I’m left wondering if HAL is using it for training new employees. 

Welcome to the Daily/Fleet Report.  I personally have no doubt Volendam is still engaged with Ukranian Refugees.  While the flow of refugees has certainly slowed down, I doubt that many are going back and settling the ones that are here will take some time.  I would also think that if a ship was used for training it would likely often head out to sea.

Roy

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a dark and misty central Texas.   Yesterday's rain was all around us, but somehow managed to miss us.  Looking at the weather radar, again we are sort of the eye of the rain in this area.  We have a chance for some rain n about an hour, if the radar future cast is correct.  🤞  We have been hearing thunder for about an hour.  Since I typed this, it has started raining and the driveway is now wet.

Three important days to celebrate.  VJ Day ended a years long nightmare in the Pacific.  Food banks perform an important service, but I wish there was not a need for them.  Our college colors are burnt orange and white.   GO HORNS!  

Another interesting quote today, and I'll need to think about it.  We'll definitely pass on the meal and on the drink.  Looking forward to the wine description.

@rafinmd  Thank you Roy, for putting our anniversary on the Celebration List.  We've packed a lot into the past 55 years, and I wonder where the time has gone.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for the anniversary wishes.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO AUSTIN! 

@ottahand7  Thank you for the anniversary wishes.  That brisket looks good.  We haven't smoked a brisket in years.  We'd have to get up too early to put it in the smoker and have it ready for dinner.  The only way to get tender brisket, as you know, is low and slow, and then let it stay at 190-200F for a while.

@cunnorl  Thank you for the anniversary wishes.  We hope to have many more anniversaries.  We'll look tomorrow to see if we can see the launch.  Hope they make it this time. 

@Heartgrove  Jack, thank you for wishing us a happy anniversary.  I hope you hear from the insurance adjuster soon. 

@ger_77  Gerry, thank you for your good wishes.  I'm glad the dinner went well last night.

@cat shepard  Ann, thanks for the good wishes on our anniversary.  My guess is, they will provide lunch at the Princess Lodge.  Since Princess and HAL are under the HAL Group, I would not be surprised if they shared some facilities for the Alaska land tours.

@superoma  Thanks for remembering us on our anniversary.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, thank you for the anniversary wishes.  I hope you don't have to build that ark.  Isn't technology great and time saving?  🤣

@aliaschief  Bruce,  I have my fingers crossed 🤞 the dishwasher is up and running by dinner time.  Thank you for the anniversary wishes.  

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, thank you for the lovely anniversary "card".  Where are you and DH going to the VA?  DH went to the one in Waco when we first moved here, but had to switch to our PCP.  They insisted they needed to see him every six months, and that did not fit in with our travel schedule.

@smitty34877  Terry, that's good news it is getting cool enough to have the windows open.

@seagarsmoker   Thanks for the anniversary wishes.

@lindaler  Linda, thanks for the good wishes for our anniversary.  I'm happy you are settling into life in Mobile and are enjoying the area.

Now, I'll see what I posted on July 16, 2021, from A Coruna.

Lenda

Happy Anniversary Lenda and Hook ‘em Horns!  We’ll be driving down to Austin tomorrow morning for the game and hoping the sporadic rain showers take the day off!  And of course the required stop for kolaches not far from you in West on the way home Sunday.  🤘🐂🤘

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Great days. VJ day is an important historical day. Scarlet and White are my BU colors. Food banks are so important, more so now than ever. Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal (big no to eel), drink and wine.

I haven't been to A Coruña, Spain. Thanks for the pictures.

It's warm and sunny here. Another sleepy morning for me; I had to take a Benadryl for a hive and itching at my injection site. Odd how that happens 48 hours after the shot. The field adjuster came back today, with someone to go up on the roof. He'll submit information, and then I guess I'll hear from the office claims person. I had planned to go out looking at a recliner today; if I wake up a bit I still will go.

@Rowsby Enjoy your stay!

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to Austin!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy Anniversary! 🍾 💌 Wow on all the rain.

@luvteaching Oh no on DH's tumble out of the scooter! I'm glad he's ok other than bumps and bruises.

@rafinmd @marshhawk mentioned yesterday that her anniversary is 9/9.

@St. Louis Sal Thinking of you and I hope you're ok.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

It looks like our rain has stopped for now.  According to DH's weather station, we received 1.94 inches.  The grass and yard are still too wet to check the rain gauge in the flower bed.  His weather station reports rain fall in 0.03 inches, so we could have gotten a little more.  The weeds I mowed yesterday are looking very happy now.  😉🤣  Once it dries up enough and there is no wind, I'll apply the heavy duty weed killer we got the other day.  It's supposed to kill the weeds and not really harm the grass.  It could turn the Bermuda grass white, but since a lot of it is dormant and brown from the heat and lack of water, it won't be that noticeable.  🤞

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Thank you.

16 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thank all!   
Happy anniversary to @marshhawk and @Quartzsite Cruiser!  🥂💕

Santiago de Compestela  is a very beautiful place.

DEEB4EB5-B944-4639-B605-CDA9D2686F89.jpeg

E22E2E3F-F5A3-4754-AA8F-13156B22D40E.MOV

19BB20F6-6F9F-44E5-A75A-822BA5406A72.jpeg

0C514BCE-2354-442D-8D57-07B00612B4BE.jpeg

9DB34CFE-3B6E-443A-A8AE-39D6854EA4B6.jpeg

28B3531F-FCBA-4DE2-B138-BCC511BEC135.jpeg

55D0E9FD-16D8-4DC6-A86D-A5D9D091D3B2.jpeg

Thank you.  I like your pictures of Santiago de Compastela.

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Welcome to the Daily/Fleet Report.  I personally have no doubt Volendam is still engaged with Ukranian Refugees.  While the flow of refugees has certainly slowed down, I doubt that many are going back and settling the ones that are here will take some time.  I would also think that if a ship was used for training it would likely often head out to sea.

Roy

Roy, I read a news story earlier this week that stated the Volendam would be back in service later this month.

12 minutes ago, Kurtybee123 said:

Happy Anniversary Lenda and Hook ‘em Horns!  We’ll be driving down to Austin tomorrow morning for the game and hoping the sporadic rain showers take the day off!  And of course the required stop for kolaches not far from you in West on the way home Sunday.  🤘🐂🤘

Thank you for the good wishes.  Safe travels to and from Austin and enjoy the game.  We'll try to watch the game on the Longhorn Network.  HOOK EM!  BTW, the major construction on I-35 in Waco is finished, just some work on the ramps and surface streets in the area.

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts for my friend Wayne and his wife Karen. I've no updates at this point. 

We're packing up today - or rather I am, DH will watch and getting ready to disembark the Crown Princess and board the Eurodam. We get our Covid test today at 4:30 in the Medical Center and then I can finish filling out the HAL paperwork on-line. 

DH was sitting on his scooter yesterday with the seat turned to watch tv, fell asleep (briefly) and took a header landing on the carpet and hitting his head on some shelving. He has a big goose egg above his left eye, has some abrasions on his nose but is otherwise fine. I called down to ask for some "muscles" to help me get him up although he was trying hard to do so himself. A nurse and another staff person came then 3 other young men who helped him into the wheelchair and then onto the bed. He then thanked them and asked if I'd be going up soon to the buffet to get cookies. I definitely knew he was ok then. He ate well last night (It was the Baked Alaska Parade) and we had to fill out an accident report at the front desk. Someone will be here at 10:00 to talk to us about it. There's always something!

Thanks again for all the caring thoughts. 

Karen

Karen, I hope your DH is all right today.  Enjoy your Eurodam cruise after your negative tests.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Anniversary @marshhawk.  Somehow I missed that one.  @Quartzsite Cruiser that sounds promising on the medical front.  I realized that while I have not been to A Coruna on my very first European Cruise (Crystal Symphony 1996) I visited Santiago de Compostela from Vigo.

Roy

Roy,  @marshhawk   Ann, mentioned on yesterday's Fleet/Daily that their anniversary is September 9.  I guess you'll get to wish her Happy Anniversary again then.  We now feel like we're heading in the right direction on the medical front.  We just wish the process could move a little quicker.

14 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Great days. VJ day is an important historical day. Scarlet and White are my BU colors. Food banks are so important, more so now than ever. Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal (big no to eel), drink and wine.

I haven't been to A Coruña, Spain. Thanks for the pictures.

It's warm and sunny here. Another sleepy morning for me; I had to take a Benadryl for a hive and itching at my injection site. Odd how that happens 48 hours after the shot. The field adjuster came back today, with someone to go up on the roof. He'll submit information, and then I guess I'll hear from the office claims person. I had planned to go out looking at a recliner today; if I wake up a bit I still will go.

@Rowsby Enjoy your stay!

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to Austin!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy Anniversary! 🍾 💌 Wow on all the rain.

@luvteaching Oh no on DH's tumble out of the scooter! I'm glad he's ok other than bumps and bruises.

@rafinmd @marshhawk mentioned yesterday that her anniversary is 9/9.

@St. Louis Sal Thinking of you and I hope you're ok.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, thanks for the anniversary wishes.   It seems everything is bigger in Texas, including our rain.  We actually get about the same amount of rain in the normal year that they get in Seattle.  Only we don't drag it out with days of liquid sunshine.  I'm sorry your hives and itching reappeared, but glad the Benadryl helps.  Hope the insurance company comes through with help on the roof and water damage.

Lenda

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

For those of you in Florida, would you please turn the heat down for the next week or so? I'll be in Orlando for a convention and not looking forward to the heat. We've had enough of that in the Seattle area. 😊

Have a great holiday weekend everyone.

Heat, what heat!  It’s the humidity!  Though this past summer was the hottest daily temperature on record in the Tampa Bay Area. As previously posted, it is so humid that my fingernails sweat!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning all!

It feels like fall is arriving, we had a few days in the mid 80's F and now it will be down in the low-mid 70's for awhile.  It feels good!

A good collection of days, I'll take a hard pass on the meal but the drink sounds good and the wine is one I've had before and liked it.  Never been to this port, thanks for the photos!

Today we'll be doing a grocery run and need to buy some paint (hahaha).  It's for the post that I always have my Sweet Peas climb.  DH will need to pressure wash it first, then I'll try to get it painted (no wine involved, darn!) before the weather turns.  

Sue @Rowsbyenjoy your month in Hawaii!  Loving your photos. 🙂  

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserHappy 55th Anniversary to you and your DH!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersHappy 14th Birthday to your DGS Austin!

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyVfor the correction on @marshhawk's anniversary date.  I was sure she had said it will be the 9th. 😉  

Well hopefully things will be returning to normal now that my neighbor is back home.  This morning I saw Jinx on his own porch with a bowl of food.  I really wonder if the girls thought he'd gone off and died (he's elderly) and that's why nobody was looking for him.  Teenage girls shouldn't have been left alone so long, but that's a whole other story...  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It feels like fall is arriving, we had a few days in the mid 80's F and now it will be down in the low-mid 70's for awhile.  It feels good!

A good collection of days, I'll take a hard pass on the meal but the drink sounds good and the wine is one I've had before and liked it.  Never been to this port, thanks for the photos!

Today we'll be doing a grocery run and need to buy some paint (hahaha).  It's for the post that I always have my Sweet Peas climb.  DH will need to pressure wash it first, then I'll try to get it painted (no wine involved, darn!) before the weather turns.  

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyVfor the correction on @marshhawk's anniversary date.  I was sure she had said it will be the 9th. 😉  

Well hopefully things will be returning to normal now that my neighbor is back home.  This morning I saw Jinx on his own porch with a bowl of food.  I really wonder if the girls thought he'd gone off and died (he's elderly) and that's why nobody was looking for him.  Teenage girls shouldn't have been left alone so long, but that's a whole other story...  

Thank you for the good wishes.

Lenda

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Great news about I-35 in Waco.  We only made the drive down once last year and what a mess it was going through there.  But I’m sure they’ll start working on another area soon.  I’ve been making that drive for 35+ years and there’s always construction.  I always joke with friends that as many times as Hillsboro has been torn up and expanded over the years, somebody at TXDOT must think it’s going to be the next Dallas or Houston! 🤣 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the Day - laurenz v “singing” griiner veltliner, austria

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

laurenz v “singing” griiner veltliner, Austria

Today’s white wine comes from Austria. Found for $14.99 at a Total Wine in LA.

From the winemaker’s website:
Kremstal, Austria - A very attractive fruit bouquet yields apple, peach and citrus aromas along with a typical Veltliner spiciness and a touch of white pepper. The soft and juicy palate is supported by fine acidity. It sings on the palate.

Laurenz V was created for white wine lovers everywhere. The winery focuses on a single wine variety--Grüner Veltliner--that has long been a favorite in its native Austria, where it represents nearly a third of the country's wine grape production. Grüner Veltliner has been quickly catching on in the rest of the world, too!

I didn’t find major reviewers, so here are a few from Vivino’s comment section:

Sipped this on a patio on Broadway in Saskatoon as we enjoyed my son and a couple friends play some awesome acoustic tunes across the street! A very refreshing glass. Citrus, mineral.~ Gord

Citrus, green apple, minerals. Absolute fresh and light. Good with a light dish of white asparagus and white fish. A perfect wine for passing a summer afternoon on a terrace.

Adding to my neighbor @TiogaCruiser's excellent report, I am going to add my prejudiced $.02 worth on today's wine.  Unfortunately, it comes with a story.

We were on a cruise a few years ago (Princess ship) and went to the Italian restaurant for dinner one evening early in the cruise.  I brought a bottle of red wine for myself, and Mrs' XBGuy, the white wine (mostly Chardonnay) drinker, reviewed the wine list to make a selection for herself.  On previous cruises she had enjoyed a Donnafugata Sicilian white wine,  She spotted that one on the list and ordered it.  When the server returned empty-handed, we knew there was a problem.  Sure enough, no Donnafugata.  She looked at the wine list again, and ordered a Pouilly-Fume.  Once again the server returned empty-handed.  On the third try she found Laurenz V Singing Gruner Veltliner and figured she would try that.

Success.  They had it.  Better yet.  Mrs. XBGuy really liked it.  I had a taste and agreed.  GV is a light only slightly fruity wine that is just so easy to enjoy.  If you enjoy light white wines such as Riesling or Pinot Grigio and you have never tried GV, I urge you to do so,  Perfect as a backyard refreshment on a hot summer evening.  (As @TiogaCruiser cruiser mentioned, we can tell you about hot summer evenings this week.)  For a while our local Costco carried this very wine for about $12.  Sadly I haven't seen it for quite a while,

Epilog to the above story:  A couple days after that Italian restaurant dinner, we had dinner in the steakhouse.  Mrs. XBGuy's go-to entree in that restaurant is the Mussel Pot.  So, when she reviewed the wine list she focused on a Sancerre.  Off goes the server.  Here he comes back--empty-handed.  She noticed that the steakhouse wine list has the same Donnafugata Sicilian white wine that was on the Italian restaurant's list but not available.  Almost on a whim, she ordered that one.  Not surprisingly, the server returned empty-handed, but he has a better story.  "There is one bottle of Donnafugata on the ship and it is in the Botticelli Dining Room.  So, it will take me a few minutes to go there and get it."

Well, his tip just benefitted by a nice bump.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Found out that Lahaina has been dropped for Kahuli. Not too pleased but we will figure it out. 

The same change was made for the 16-Day Circle Hawaii cruise out of Vancouver Canada on the Koningsdam. Since I have never been to Hawaii, I won't know the difference. Looks like you will be on the Noordam and also embarking October 8th. We will be in Kahului on the 14th, the day before you.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Roy, I read a news story earlier this week that stated the Volendam would be back in service later this month.

I agree, I have a feeling the refugees' next stop will not be nearly as nice but still better than being in Ukraine right now.

Roy

• Like 8

Happy Friday everyone and Happy Labor Day weekend to those who observe it! This will be the last weekend for our neighborhood pool (one block away) and then things will be quiet again until next year!

I have a question for the Garden Club -- I have a 35-year-old lilac bush by my front porch that heretofore has thrived on neglect (my kind of bush). It gets full western exposure so has gotten the hotter-than-normal sunshine all summer. Watered and fertilized only occasionally because it's always done so well in the past.

A few weeks ago, it started dropping its leaves - I thought it had finally given up. But Wait! After the torrential rain on Tuesday, it has started sprouting new leaves! And blooming! I have NEVER had lilacs and chrysanthemums blooming at the same time! Anyway, since it seems to want to survive, what should I do? Is it too late in the season to fertilize? Prune? Although every branch seems to be sprouting at least one new leafbud. Advice would be appreciated!

Edi

lilacs.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks for the daily!

Wishing all a good Labour Day weekend!! It is beautiful here today, sunny and warm.

Our week of minding our grand dog comes to a end tomorrow.  He has been great, no doubt because of our diligent dog proofing 😄. We did, however, let our guard down last evening when our lasagna was cooling, he did not disappoint lol, managed to get a few bites in before we stopped him, oh well… we love him anyway, not boring for sure!

Jo

• Like 13
  • Haha 3