Hello from the Majestic Princess!

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Not sure what that is, but I guess they figure if it brings in money then it has to be good, hehehe. Maybe we're desperados 🤣

I only raised the subject as some pax currently reporting from Majestic on other social media are worried they might be refused entry at Tauranga.

LOTR, not heard of that One, lol.

Edited by NSWP

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I only raised the subject as some pax currently reporting from Majestic on other social media are worried they might be refused entry at Tauranga.

Oh yes, LOTR = Lord of the Rings, that Show made in Nu Ziland.

Yip, I knew LOTR was Lord of the Rings, you can't live in NZ without knowing that!

Not sure what the LOTR philosophy is. I  know we gave very advantageous tax breaks to keep filming here, not sure if pax visit just because they saw some picturesque scenery, which to be fair is picturesque, but there are plenty of places around the world with equally good scenery, or the tourists that visit Middle Earth between them with their spending make up for the reduced tax take on filming. We go overboard claiming x number of jobs created for locals even when it's not a particularly high number.

Ah well, I guess the powers that be know best.

NZ is great for having varied scenery in a not too huge country, ie lakes, islands, bush and greenery, mountains, glaciers, ski fields, beaches, all within easy'ish reach of each other 😀

Edited by Jean C

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

There's probably going to be some provisioning in Tauranga so I doubt very much that docking won't go ahead. They're always saying how much of a boost it is to the local economy when a cruise ship comes in. Other than provisioning I really don't think cruise passengers add significantly to the economy. Local tour operators don't make much from cruise ship tours (the cruise ship makes the lion's share), and other than passengers who eat or snack at local eateries, I don't think much is spent, especially somewhere like Tauranga (they dock at Mt Maunganui), which is a picturesque seaside town with plenty of attraction within easy stroll from the ship.

I think some of the Islands and European townships have already wised up 🤔

6 minutes ago, Jean C said:

There's probably going to be some provisioning in Tauranga so I doubt very much that docking won't go ahead. They're always saying how much of a boost it is to the local economy when a cruise ship comes in. Other than provisioning I really don't think cruise passengers add significantly to the economy. Local tour operators don't make much from cruise ship tours (the cruise ship makes the lion's share), and other than passengers who eat or snack at local eateries, I don't think much is spent, especially somewhere like Tauranga (they dock at Mt Maunganui), which is a picturesque seaside town with plenty of attraction within easy stroll from the ship.

In addition to revenue from ship's tours, there is money that passengers spend on tours, hire cars and the local shops.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Been to Nz 4 times, cruises and fly drive, including Tauranga, nice spot. The tour operators will make plenty, they subcontract to the cruise lines for tours at a price then the cruise line adds 30% or 40%. Agreed pax dont spend much on food etc, plenty of good stuff on their floating home.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jean C said:

New Zealand has fully open borders 🙂

Cruise ships with elevated levels of covid are treated differently. Screening tests - negative can go ashore, positives will be added to the isolation loop.

That also makes the ship nervous, as a full round of test could give them even higher recorded numbers for their arrival in Sydney.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

Drat, my post got lost in space. Up-to-date info here and in below screenshots

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/border-health/maritime-border-health/cruise-ships

Screenshot_20221012-064531_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20221012-064647_Drive.jpg

• Like 1

To summarise, no testing requirement prior to arrival in NZ by cruise ship and port entry will not be denied regardless of covid numbers on board. Any speculation to the contrary on social media is scaremongering and causing unnecessary concern to readers 🥴

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jean C said:

To summarise, no testing requirement prior to arrival in NZ by cruise ship and port entry will not be denied regardless of covid numbers on board. Any speculation to the contrary on social media is scaremongering and causing unnecessary concern to readers 🥴

There is still a difference between being allowed to dock a yellow flagged ship, and being able to freely disembark from it. No testing prior to arrival means they don't require passenger screening tests, but the ship still needs to report infection numbers for covid, flu, noro etc, and that will determine the response - not too different to what occurred in Papeete.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

There is still a difference between being allowed to dock a yellow flagged ship, and being able to freely disembark from it. No testing prior to arrival means they don't require passenger screening tests, but the ship still needs to report infection numbers for covid, flu, noro etc, and that will determine the response - not too different to what occurred in Papeete.

With respect, there were earlier posts speculating that the ship could well be turned back or not allowed to dock. Unfortunately I can't post the relevant PDF document or its link, but my understanding from what I've read is that should there be elevated levels of covid on board, our health authorities will assist the Princess medical team should that be required. NZ still reserves the right to deny docking should there be any other contagious outbreak on board (ie a bad norovirus outbreak), but not covid.

5 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Perseverance pays off:

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/media/kgzdl45h/guidance-on-covid-19-related-regulatory-requirements-for-cruise-return.pdf

There's a responsibility on passengers who have any covid symptoms to test and if found positive to be isolated.

The honest pax would test and isolate if positive, but not all are honest, some would just carry the lurgy around with them, knowing full well they are crook. Human nature unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The honest pax would test and isolate if positive, but not all are honest, some would just carry the lurgy around with them, knowing full well they are crook. Human nature unfortunately.

Yip, shame everyone can't do the right thing for the greater good 🙁

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jean C said:

With respect, there were earlier posts speculating that the ship could well be turned back or not allowed to dock. Unfortunately I can't post the relevant PDF document or its link, but my understanding from what I've read is that should there be elevated levels of covid on board, our health authorities will assist the Princess medical team should that be required. NZ still reserves the right to deny docking should there be any other contagious outbreak on board (ie a bad norovirus outbreak), but not covid.

Not being allowed to dock was never going to be a real possibility, so it was an OTT comment.

All I have read is they have reverted to their usual maritime restrictions and responses, thus removing covid specific rules - but covid will still be considered in the same way as any other respiratory illness or norwalk virus response.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not being allowed to dock was never going to be a real possibility, so it was an OTT comment.

All I have read is they have reverted to their usual maritime restrictions and responses, thus removing covid specific rules - but covid will still be considered in the same way as any other respiratory illness or norwalk virus response.

Agreed Geoff. Watch this space for the next week.

Hello from Majestic Princess!

After 3 days in Papeete, Tahiti, we are at sea heading for New Zealand , we got 5 days at sea before we get to Tauranga, New Zealand.

Now for a bit of a update:

*. There is about 15 – 20 Kids / Teens onboard.

*. Most people are wearing a mask, Some people are not wearing a mask. I have been wearing a mask, when I have been inside the ship, I take it off while I am outside, unless I am very close to people at sail away, sunset etc…, apart from in our cabin.

*. There is covid onboard!, numbers I have heard on the grapevine goes from 22 (before Hawaii) to 46, to 146, to 200 cases onboard, No one has told us exact numbers.

*. We have only had 2 formal nights!, on the Cruise Personal said we where going to have 4! . There was northing done for the first 2 formal nights, (no welcome abound party) the first one was for the production show Encore, which was good , the second one was just to get formal photos.

We where meant to have a 3rd one on our 3rd day in Papeete (but as we stayed in Papeete a day longer, that got cancelled), We are unsure when or if we will get another formal night before we get off the ship in Auckland.

*. The internet on the Majestic Princess, is rubbish! Its so s l o w!, it will take me 15 mins aprox to get Facebook loaded and to get this posted!, we went around South America on the Royal Princess before covid, and the Medallion Net was good even at cape horn, where I thought we have very slow access!. Apparently it wont get fixed till we get to Auckland!

*. We wont talk about the snorkelling shore tour we did on day one of our stay in Papeete, Tahiti!, the snorkelling was not very good!, apart from seen Whales while on the boat, it was not a great trip,!, Thankfully it was paid with onboard credit!

PA090393.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello Majestic Princess,

An update on the issues we had getting off the ship in Papeete on Day 2:

After dinner on night one in Papeete we went ashore to get some crepes, when we came back to the ship, we meet up with a couple we have been talking to, and they said they could not get ashore!, It turned out the local authorities had stopped passengers and crew from getting of the ship for the rest of the night!, that is all we could find out.

The next morning at 7:30am! we had a announcement in the cabin to say that the French government (Princess said this) has stopped passengers from going ashore, due to the small number (The ship did not say how many, at this stage) of covid cases onboard, Princess Cruises was going to do a conference call with the local / French government to see if they can get passengers and crew ashore that day. Thankfully by 9:00am we where given permission to got back ashore again , with a stern warning to wear our masks ashore!

I was happy we got to go about as I was going to a discovery scuba dive on our second day there.

309412107_10166628949025635_7020431111108769324_n.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for your continuing coverage of your cruise, despite  the difficult slow internet.  Glad you got off the ship in Papeete.  Did you drive around on le truck?  Sorry your scuba dive was a disappointment.  Did you get your crepe from food trucks on the wharf?  Were you allowed to get ferry to Moorea for a day trip, as it is such a beautiful island?  I hope you sre able to disembark in NZ without too much delay.  

• Like 1