Multiple cruises in one holiday advice

Shelton1986.

Hi everyone, I am new here so apologies if I am not posting in the correct place.

We are based in the UK, and are new to cruising. After doing 3 cruises this year we really do have the bug. All three cruises were with marella which we really enjoyed. 

What we would really like to do is the following and wondered if anyone had done anything similar and how easy it was to do. Due to the extent of this trip we will book through a travel agent but I just wondered what your views of this are...

We are looking to take a month off work and do multiple cruises. We would be looking to do 10 nights/2 weeks cruising around America ( not decided on which parts yet) then we would be looking to fly to Canada and start another cruise sailing around Canada. From Canada we would then finish with a cruise around Alaska for a week. From a little research I think if we end the cruise in vancouver we can go straight to alaska from here.. although I'm not 100%

I understand cruises may not start and finish within dates of one another and we may need a hotel in between for a few nights if need be which we don't mind. 

We also don't mind sailing on different cruise lines for each intinery, infact we quite like the idea of this. 

Has anyone ever done anything like this and if so how easy was it to arrange? This would be a holiday of a lifetime and we feel what better way to see so many places than on a cruise. 

I'd love to get people's views and thoughts on this especially from more experienced cruisers. 

Any help and advice welcomed 🙂

1 minute ago, Shelton1986. said:

Hi everyone, I am new here so apologies if I am not posting in the correct place.

We are based in the UK, and are new to cruising. After doing 3 cruises this year we really do have the bug. All three cruises were with marella which we really enjoyed. 

What we would really like to do is the following and wondered if anyone had done anything similar and how easy it was to do. Due to the extent of this trip we will book through a travel agent but I just wondered what your views of this are...

We are looking to take a month off work and do multiple cruises. We would be looking to do 10 nights/2 weeks cruising around America ( not decided on which parts yet) then we would be looking to fly to Canada and start another cruise sailing around Canada. From Canada we would then finish with a cruise around Alaska for a week. From a little research I think if we end the cruise in vancouver we can go straight to alaska from here.. although I'm not 100%

I understand cruises may not start and finish within dates of one another and we may need a hotel in between for a few nights if need be which we don't mind. 

We also don't mind sailing on different cruise lines for each intinery, infact we quite like the idea of this. 

Has anyone ever done anything like this and if so how easy was it to arrange? This would be a holiday of a lifetime and we feel what better way to see so many places than on a cruise. 

I'd love to get people's views and thoughts on this especially from more experienced cruisers. 

Any help and advice welcomed 🙂

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for but, recognize that there are several cruiselines (e.g., Oceania) who arrange a significant part of their scheduling as “segments” (i.e., consecutive single cruises that are not round trips to/from the same location). Multiple segments are marketed as as extended journey or can be assembled as a custom cruise. In essence them, you can be on the same ship for anywhere from a week to a month to multiples of that as you traverse one or more regions/continents/etc

4 hours ago, Shelton1986. said:

then we would be looking to fly to Canada and start another cruise sailing around Canada.

Not quite sure how you plan to cruise around Canada  !

However,  you could look at a cruise from New York to Quebec,  and then fly to Vancouver and catch a cruise to Alaska.  However,  this may be difficult to schedule,  as the US to Canada cruises tend to be in the autumn, when the Alaska cruises are finishing. I'm sure our American/Canadian friends can help out.

One other thing. Marella is nothing like most other cruise lines. You need to do your honework !

Prices on US lines will be in dollars, drinks will be expensive (unless you buy a drinks package) and the auto tips  add a considerable cost to your holiday. 

Assuming you are looking at a summer time period, I would consider cruises in the following order;

New York to Quebec or Montreal

Vancouver to Alaska 

LA or San Francisco to Mexico round trip.

Hope you have a generous budget! 

Edited by wowzz

As others have said, not sure exactly what you are looking for.  For "cruising around America", I assume you mean the US?  If so, there are virtually no cruises that go "around the US" and those that do are limited to US flag ships (very limited lines, very small ships).  For "cruising around Canada", again these would be limited to Canadian flag ships (again, very limited lines, very small ships).  As noted, there are cruises that combine Atlantic Canada with New England, but these are fall cruises, while your Alaska cruise would be a summer cruise.  Also, "round trip" or "closed loop" cruises to Alaska are generally from Seattle, while one way Canada to Alaska or vice versa, must start in Canada (Vancouver), or end there, or both.  These are legal issues, and beyond the cruise lines' or your control.

Not sure what you mean by:

5 hours ago, Shelton1986. said:

end the cruise in vancouver we can go straight to alaska from here

Are you talking about flights from UK to Alaska?  Then you would be starting with Alaska, not ending.  Or are you thinking of starting the Alaska cruise in Vancouver and ending in Alaska, and flying home from Alaska?

What may work would be to fly to California, take a California Coastal cruise from LA to Vancouver, then take another ship on a Vancouver to Alaska (either one way or round trip), then fly to NYC or Boston for a New England/Canada cruise (again, either round trip or one way).

• Like 1

With no idea of your budget you could sail or fly UK to New York or Miami. Then change cruise lines and sail through the Panama Canal to either Los Angeles or San Francisco. You could then fly to  Vancouver from where you'd do an Alaska cruise. If funds permitted then take the Rocky Mountaineer to Calgary before flying home or if funds allow to Boston for a New England/Canada cruise.

One hell of a trip and definitely not cheap!!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, babs135 said:

With no idea of your budget you could sail or fly UK to New York or Miami. Then change cruise lines and sail through the Panama Canal to either Los Angeles or San Francisco. You could then fly to  Vancouver from where you'd do an Alaska cruise. If funds permitted then take the Rocky Mountaineer to Calgary before flying home or if funds allow to Boston for a New England/Canada cruise.

One hell of a trip and definitely not cheap!!

This is probably the kind of advice you're looking for, right?  I'd be all over this idea and think that planning it would be GREAT fun.  I'd start with a big paper map of the world in front of me, some highlighters and a legal pad.  I'd look at websites that list "every cruise ever to sail anywhere" to get an idea of when/where cruises go within your time parameters and what the costs are. 

When you have some ideas of itineraries that might work, research those ships/cruise lines carefully so you end up with the 'level of service' you want.  My husband and I are very happy with 'mass-market' lines, but there are numerous budget and luxury lines available.   

And do find a travel agent who is a cruise expert.  S/he can add tremendously to the value you receive.  You don't need a 'local' TA any more, computers and phones make it unimportant.  But don't use an online booking service ... all they do is 'take your order' even tho they like to fool people into thinking they're TAs.  Use them for research only. 

I like to suggest www.cruisetimetables.com as a good research tool.  You can search cruises from departure port, ports visited, cruise line or ship…. It’s a site you can get lost in, spend hours searching cruises.  EM

• Like 1

I think you are going to be looking at a hefty budget, since you will have to include multiple long range flights to accomplish this. And North America is so huge, you cant just "sail around" them (and we wont even start on trying to transit through the Arctic Ocean or the Panama Canal). But you can sail along PARTS of the US and Canada.

Since both the Alaska and East Coast  cruises have relatively narrow sail time windows, you will need help to plan for an optimal timing. Too early or too late and the weather on Alaska cruises can be really iffy. Personally, I'd start with Alaska; sailing a round trip out of Vancouver in late summer. Then do a West Coast coastal cruise. Then finish by flying to your east coast embarkation port (either in Canada or the US) for a one way New England and Eastern Canada cruise. Fly home from your east coast disembarkation port.

Other combinations are probably better, but this ticks your boxes:

Oceania Regatta:

Thursday, September 7     Vancouver, BC, Canada         6:00pm
Friday, September 8     At Sea         
Saturday, September 9     Ketchikan, AK     8:00am     4:00pm
Sunday, September 10     Juneau, AK     10:00am     8:00pm
Monday, September 11     Skagway, AK     8:00am     5:00pm
Tuesday, September 12     Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising)         
Wednesday, September 13     Sitka, AK     7:00am     4:00pm
Thursday, September 14     Prince Rupert, BC, Canada     Noon     8:00pm
Friday, September 15     Inside Passage, AK (Cruising)         
Saturday, September 16     Victoria, BC, Canada     8:00am     5:00pm
Sunday, September 17     Astoria, OR     9:00am     6:00pm
Monday, September 18     At Sea         
Tuesday, September 19     At Sea         
Wednesday, September 20     Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA     8:00am  

Holland America Zaandam:

Sunday, September 24     Montreal, QC, Canada         5:00pm
Sunday, September 24     St. Lawrence Seaway (Cruising)         
Monday, September 25     Quebec City, QC, Canada     7:00am     4:00pm
Tuesday, September 26     St. Lawrence Seaway (Cruising)         
Wednesday, September 27     Charlottetown, PE, Canada     9:00am     6:00pm
Thursday, September 28     Sydney, NS, Canada     8:00am     4:00pm
Friday, September 29     Halifax, NS, Canada     8:00am     4:00pm
Saturday, September 30     Bar Harbor, ME     8:00am     5:00pm
Sunday, October 1     Boston, MA     7:00am     5:00pm
Monday, October 2     At Sea         
Tuesday, October 3     Norfolk, VA     7:00am     5:00pm
Wednesday, October 4     At Sea         
Thursday, October 5     Charleston, SC     7:00am     6:00pm
Friday, October 6     At Sea         
Saturday, October 7     Fort Lauderdale, FL     7:00am      

14 minutes ago, whogo said:

Other combinations are probably better, but this ticks your boxes:

Oceania Regatta:

Thursday, September 7     Vancouver, BC, Canada         6:00pm
Friday, September 8     At Sea         
Saturday, September 9     Ketchikan, AK     8:00am     4:00pm
Sunday, September 10     Juneau, AK     10:00am     8:00pm
Monday, September 11     Skagway, AK     8:00am     5:00pm
Tuesday, September 12     Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising)         
Wednesday, September 13     Sitka, AK     7:00am     4:00pm
Thursday, September 14     Prince Rupert, BC, Canada     Noon     8:00pm
Friday, September 15     Inside Passage, AK (Cruising)         
Saturday, September 16     Victoria, BC, Canada     8:00am     5:00pm
Sunday, September 17     Astoria, OR     9:00am     6:00pm
Monday, September 18     At Sea         
Tuesday, September 19     At Sea         
Wednesday, September 20     Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA     8:00am  

Holland America Zaandam:

Sunday, September 24     Montreal, QC, Canada         5:00pm
Sunday, September 24     St. Lawrence Seaway (Cruising)         
Monday, September 25     Quebec City, QC, Canada     7:00am     4:00pm
Tuesday, September 26     St. Lawrence Seaway (Cruising)         
Wednesday, September 27     Charlottetown, PE, Canada     9:00am     6:00pm
Thursday, September 28     Sydney, NS, Canada     8:00am     4:00pm
Friday, September 29     Halifax, NS, Canada     8:00am     4:00pm
Saturday, September 30     Bar Harbor, ME     8:00am     5:00pm
Sunday, October 1     Boston, MA     7:00am     5:00pm
Monday, October 2     At Sea         
Tuesday, October 3     Norfolk, VA     7:00am     5:00pm
Wednesday, October 4     At Sea         
Thursday, October 5     Charleston, SC     7:00am     6:00pm
Friday, October 6     At Sea         
Saturday, October 7     Fort Lauderdale, FL     7:00am      

Hmm - excellent itinerary,  but we really need to know the OP's budget. That itinerary is not cheap !

45 minutes ago, whogo said:

Tips and fees will add considerably, but prices are listed as from $2600 each for Oceania and $1060 each for Holland America.

Of course, those are “cabin” prices. You’d have to add things to the HAL experience to equal what is included in the O fare: internet, beverages, specialty restaurants and, if that’s the “O Life w/air” fare on Oceania, you’d then need to figure into the HAL fare air tix and amenities like booze, tours or SBC.

Hopefully, OP understands that.

Reading your post, 2 things occur to me: you need to research the different cruising areas and itineraries, and you need to study a map of North America. Because I'm not sure you realize the vastness of the area you're looking to travel to, or the limitations in terms of cruising availability and seasons.

• Like 2

It is very possible in late summer to do what OP wants.  They could start with a NE/CA cruise, then a repositioning cruise to Florida to do a Panama Canal full transit to California.  From there they could do a coastal cruise to San Fran and then an Alaskan from there.  It would be highly difficult to coordinate.  All stars would have to be in perfect alignment for it to happen.

• Like 1

Most of what you are planning would be more than a month if you can get the cruises to line up for you

Or you will be flying back n forth cross country

Suggest  pick  maybe  Alaska cruise   in late summer then  Panama  Canal cruise  from the west coast to Florida

Do some research online  as to where/when the ships sail

Lower your expectations of seeing it all in one month

Happy planning

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

It is very possible in late summer to do what OP wants.  They could start with a NE/CA cruise, then a repositioning cruise to Florida to do a Panama Canal full transit to California.  From there they could do a coastal cruise to San Fran and then an Alaskan from there.  It would be highly difficult to coordinate.  All stars would have to be in perfect alignment for it to happen.

But in Sept there were no Panama Canal cruises, and the October ones are eastbound.  EM

4 hours ago, whogo said:

Tips and fees will add considerably, but prices are listed as from $2600 each for Oceania and $1060 each for Holland America.

If you book from the UK, the lowest available price for Oceania (smallest inside cabin is £3400 pp, or just under $3000)

Until the OP comes back with a budget, all the assistance being given is meaningless. 

Given that Marella is a UK package holiday cruise line,  I don't think the OP realises the cost implications of the proposed plans, let alone the somewhat tenuous grasp of geography. 

44 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

But in Sept there were no Panama Canal cruises, and the October ones are eastbound.  EM

Plus the repositioning cruises from the Canada/NY itineraries are usually in late October not September. 

5 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Not really -- the NE/CA cruise getting you to Florida would likely leave Quebec or Montreal in late September/October, meaning that they would not reach California until mid-October/early November -- no way could they get to Alaska until long past cruising season there.

Frankly, OP needs to get real - and understand what cruises sail when, what they cost, what intervening transportation costs/hassles might be, and what real life financial/budget constraints need to be recognized.

I don't blame op @Shelton1986.for not coming back.  Talk about having your dreams shattered!

OP first you need to spend a few nights going through cruise line websites, some of which are easier to navigate than others.  You will then see that most  cruise lines are like migratory animals that move to and from certain common locations throughout the year.  

Such as most some ships are in the Caribbean during the October to April period.  They travel to the Caribbean from wherever they have been sailing in the summer.  Some from Alaska, some from Europe (Baltic, Med,) some from East Coast USA/Canada.  Likewise they return to their summer sailing seasons after spending winter in the Caribbean.    

Some ships are in Asia/Aus/NZ during Northern Hemisphere winter and again travel to there in the autumn and then move on to their summer season location.

Perhaps these are the sort of sailing you could look at, but do you want to spend 7 consecutive days at sea getting from place to place? 

(To all the 'experts' - I fully understand that this is a generalisation, but if OP has a dream, please at least encourage him and point him in the right direction.  Perhaps if the name of the forum was changed to Cruise Help rather than the poorly but sometimes aptly named Cruise Critic)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I don't blame op @Shelton1986.for not coming back.  Talk about having your dreams shattered!

OP first you need to spend a few nights going through cruise line websites, some of which are easier to navigate than others.  You will then see that most  cruise lines are like migratory animals that move to and from certain common locations throughout the year.  

Such as most some ships are in the Caribbean during the October to April period.  They travel to the Caribbean from wherever they have been sailing in the summer.  Some from Alaska, some from Europe (Baltic, Med,) some from East Coast USA/Canada.  Likewise they return to their summer sailing seasons after spending winter in the Caribbean.    

Some ships are in Asia/Aus/NZ during Northern Hemisphere winter and again travel to there in the autumn and then move on to their summer season location.

Perhaps these are the sort of sailing you could look at, but do you want to spend 7 consecutive days at sea getting from place to place? 

(To all the 'experts' - I fully understand that this is a generalisation, but if OP has a dream, please at least encourage him and point him in the right direction.  Perhaps if the name of the forum was changed to Cruise Help rather than the poorly but sometimes aptly named Cruise Critic)

I agree, to a certain extent.

It would help, however, if the OP returned and provided a liitle more detail. Most importantly budget (I suspect that this might be a stumbling block) and also more information as to the actual places they want to visit.