Who watched the Real Love Boat?

Roatanfans

On 10/14/2022 at 9:11 PM, dickinson said:

I don't watch reality dating shows but I did watch this to see what it was like.  As soon as they said Brett was ill and wouldn't be back I said to dh that he must have Covid.  

We too were surprised at some of the numbers although they were interviewed before the show.  I figure some of the numbers were made up because they didn't know the answer.  Really, at 25-29 years old who remembers how many people they kissed on a first date!  Not exactly something one keeps track of.

Covid was what I thought, too. OMG, a show trying sell its audience on cruising, and a cast member likely gets Covid right off the bat? Ugh.

I like to watch “Married at First Sight”, but that show highlights the developments of the relationships more fully. This show is like showing sparkling bobbles on a superficial level who are to decide which bobbles sparkle the most. Not a fan, but I remain a Princess fan. 

Edited by Mackenzie1

Ratings for ABC, CBS, and NBC this past Wednesday:

NBC’s Chicago Fire (7.2 mil/0.7) copped the night’s largest audience and, like Med (6.6 mil/0.6), was steady. P.D. (5.7 mil/0.6, read post mortem) dipped.

CBS’ Survivor (5 mil/0.7, read recap) dipped, while The Real Love Boat (1.9 mil/0.3) and The Amazing Race (2.4 mil/0.3) both held pretty steady.

Over on ABC, The Goldbergs (2.4 mil/0.3) dipped… The Conners (3.6 mil/0.5, read recap) Abbott Elementary (2.6 mil/0.5), and Home Economics (1.9 mil/0.3) were all steady… and Big Sky (2.3 mil/0.3) ticked up.

The RLB was tied with Home Economics for the lowest viewership.

RLB had 38% of the number of viewers that the lead-in show before it had.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Covid was what I thought, too. OMG, a show trying sell its audience on cruising, and a cast member likely gets Covid right off the bat? Ugh.

I like to watch “Married at First Sight”, but that show highlights the developments of the relationships more fully. This show is like showing sparkling bobbles on a superficial level who are to decide which bobbles sparkle the most. Not a fan, but I remain a Princess fan. 

The more I think about there could be any number of reasons, other than Covid, he left the show.  He may not have really been sick but may have possibly decided he did not like the reality show "biz".  His numbers were much lower than others and maybe he just felt out of place?  All just speculation.  Googling his name does not bring up a reason he left.

14 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Besides sporting events, there is never anything on TV that I have watched live for close to 20 years since DVR's came out.   I guess it's the old adage, you do you and I'll do me.

Best part of watching something on DVRs: You can bypass the ads, not wasting 20 minutes of your life for every hour of shows.

• Like 5

On 10/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, caribill said:

Best part of watching something on DVRs: You can bypass the ads, not wasting 20 minutes of your life for every hour of shows.

There is no other way to watch live TV. We even wait until 30 minutes or so into most sporting events to start watching (the Kentucky Derby excepted). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

There is no other way to watch live TV. We even wait until 30 minutes or so into most sporting events to start watching (the Kentucky Derby excepted). 

Best way to watch "live TV" is to watch it on a recording.  Got it!  😁 😁😁

(PS: I know what you meant- just joshing).  

• Haha 3

On 10/16/2022 at 6:16 AM, dickinson said:

The more I think about there could be any number of reasons, other than Covid, he left the show.  He may not have really been sick but may have possibly decided he did not like the reality show "biz".  His numbers were much lower than others and maybe he just felt out of place?  All just speculation.  Googling his name does not bring up a reason he left.

I Googled it too and several sites indicated that he has Crohn's disease and it flared up.  However, I have never heard of any of the sites posting that "news" and it is likely that it's just gossip.

Watched a few episodes.  It is a reality show, and so of course is not real.  I found the hosts to be a bit annoying.

What saddens me is that there will be some people who will watch the show and think that what they are seeing is actually what a cruise is like and then will be disappointed when they get on board and experience the reality of cruising, which those of us on CruiseCritic enjoy but which is not what is shown on this TV show.

6 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Watched a few episodes.  It is a reality show, and so of course is not real.  I found the hosts to be a bit annoying.

What saddens me is that there will be some people who will watch the show and think that what they are seeing is actually what a cruise is like and then will be disappointed when they get on board and experience the reality of cruising, which those of us on CruiseCritic enjoy but which is not what is shown on this TV show.

But, was the original Love Boat anything like a real cruise?  Did you ever have the cruise director, the daughter of the captain, a bartender, the purser or the ship's doctor ever interact with you in such a way as to help you get out of a jam or help you with your love life?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

But, was the original Love Boat anything like a real cruise?  Did you ever have the cruise director, the daughter of the captain, a bartender, the purser or the ship's doctor ever interact with you in such a way as to help you get out of a jam or help you with your love life?

No, but the original Love Boat did not claim to be real life. 

3 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

What? You do not dine often at the Captain's Table?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

What? You do not dine often at the Captain's Table?

Speaking of the Captain's Table......  Does anyone know where the table actually is?  I also think it is funny that they never actually eat with the Captain.  He dispenses a few words of wisdom and then disappears.

On 10/15/2022 at 11:02 PM, caribill said:

Ratings for ABC, CBS, and NBC this past Wednesday:

NBC’s Chicago Fire (7.2 mil/0.7) copped the night’s largest audience and, like Med (6.6 mil/0.6), was steady. P.D. (5.7 mil/0.6, read post mortem) dipped.

CBS’ Survivor (5 mil/0.7, read recap) dipped, while The Real Love Boat (1.9 mil/0.3) and The Amazing Race (2.4 mil/0.3) both held pretty steady.

Over on ABC, The Goldbergs (2.4 mil/0.3) dipped… The Conners (3.6 mil/0.5, read recap) Abbott Elementary (2.6 mil/0.5), and Home Economics (1.9 mil/0.3) were all steady… and Big Sky (2.3 mil/0.3) ticked up.

The RLB was tied with Home Economics for the lowest viewership.

RLB had 38% of the number of viewers that the lead-in show before it had.

Those are DOA numbers.  I'd be surprised if it makes it to the finally.  More than likely it's pulled and burned off on Paramount Plus. 

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I am not spending all that money to eat with the Crew 🙂

Back in the day in 1998 on my first cruise which was on RCI, my DH, our friends (another couple and two single ladies) and I were invited to dine at Chief Engineer Harold’s table.  He joined us on formal night, was a delightful dinner companion and treated the table to some very nice wine.   After dinner he met us in the night club and “bought” a couple of rounds.  The invitation to dine at his table also included an exclusive tour of the engine room, water treatment facility, etc., with him.  After all these years and many, many cruises, I must say that was one of my best cruise experiences.  So eating with the crew wasn’t too bad🙂

I love the old Love Boat and have been watching the new one only because it’s between Survivor and Amazing Race.  It’s hokey and boring.

Edited by Sea&SkiCruiser
  • Like 1

I forced myself to sit through the entire episode tonight, because I just couldn't do it the first 2 nights past the first commercial. It does not get any better. No great views of either the ship (except the pool area) or Rome. And you know how they use targeted advertising on TV shows? One of the first commercials was about STD prevention. I'll just leave it at that.  Cheap, superficial,  shallow, calculating.  I wouldn't be in the least upset if this was canceled and an old rerun series was put in its place. At least the Amazing Races shows something more than fleeting glimpses of the places they actually go to. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mom says said:

I forced myself to sit through the entire episode tonight, because I just couldn't do it the first 2 nights past the first commercial. It does not get any better. No great views of either the ship (except the pool area) or Rome. And you know how they use targeted advertising on TV shows? One of the first commercials was about STD prevention. I'll just leave it at that.  Cheap, superficial,  shallow, calculating.  I wouldn't be in the least upset if this was canceled and an old rerun series was put in its place. At least the Amazing Races shows something more than fleeting glimpses of the places they actually go to. 

Watching an entire episode sounds like an exercise in masochism.