Eurodam, more or less live, November 9 to 20, 2022

rafinmd

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Greetings from the Eurodam.  Watched the safety video and will check in at my muster station before 5:30 dinner.  Embarkation was actually quite easy, aside from poor signage on the route from the parking garage to the terminal.  Boarding was supposed to start at 4 but there were many already embarked when I got on at 3:45.

Unpacked my carryons but neither of the checked bags yet.

Roy

I probably saw you and wished you a good cruise. I was working at the top of the escalator at that time. 🙂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, November 10, 2022, Not Half Moon Cay, Board Eurodam, Fort Lauderdale.

Today is Veterans Day in the US, Remembrance Day in Canada, and Armistice Day in the UK.  Best wishes for all to whom it applies.

Wednesday night was actually quite peaceful in the hotel.  I was up about 4:45 divided my next several hours between packing, breakfast, and watching conditions at the port.    Around 9:30 the Port Everglades schedule started showing signs that things were on the way to changing, and about 10 the Rotterdam and Eurodam arrival went from “Scheduled” to “Confirmed”.  I had to be out of my room at 11, which was a little bit before the ship’s actual arrival.  I did check out on time but watched the arrival sort of on my IPAD from the hotel lobby.  Thank you Cruise Critic Member @Cruise Suzy for the screen shot.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2022/11/arrival.jpg

Since boarding was officially 4PM (I guessed correctly that it would be somewhat earlier), and hotel checkout was 11 I had some time to kill.  My first stop was the Panera parking lot in Fort Lauderdale where I started things out with a short walk.  For anyone who thinks that hurricane flooding is just along the coast, this parking lot with a good sized bit of water was at least a mile from the ocean and many hours after the storm.  

nicole.jpg

I did grab my mini IPAD and head into Panera for lunch about 12:30, dining on one of the outdoor tables.  

lunch10.jpg

Leaving the shopping center I noticed a barber shop and said “why not, I’m overdue anyway” so that took care of both a need and a little time.  I had hoped to chill at the Fort Lauderdale Library but there was no parking so I stopped at McDonalds for a Diet Coke.  It was about 3 when I entered the port.  I found the signage confusing and it seemed like a lot of circling to get first to the luggage dropoff and then the parking garage.  I also found the garage confusing but must have been in the terminal about 3:20.  Security was easy, and they looked at none of my papers but most of the process was by facial recognition.  At the end I needed a boarding pass created by a little printer but that was a very quick process and I was onboard by 3:45, nowhere near the first person on board before 4PM.  My room stewards are Faisal and Tama.  

I am a bit baffled by the juxtaposition of boarding and departure times and the emergency drill.  The revised all aboard time was 8:30PM.  When I got to my room the first thing I did was turn on the TV and watch the safety presentation.  I had planned to do the visit to my assembly station on the way to dinner, and pretty much ignored the speaker messages about doing that as I should have had plenty of time.  That is exactly what I did and it seemed to be ok.  The Captain’s safety message came during dinner.

I am at table 30, a 6-top on the upper level of the dining room near midship and at the aft window, with dinner at 5:30PM.  Our waiters are Banyu and Agus.  The first night there were just 2 others, ladies from Fort Lauderdale who I am guessing may be sisters.   My choices for the first night were the Garden Salad, Beef Pot Roast, and Lemon Torte a la mode.  

dishes10.jpg

After leaving the dining room I stepped out on the promenade deck for a view of our newest ship, the Rotterdam, all lit up.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2022/11/rdamnight.jpg

It looks like holiday decorating is already starting on the ship, as evidenced by a display next to guest services.

holiday.jpg

When I returned to the room my checked bags had arrived and I spent most of the rest of the evening unpacking.  I did see the Rotterdam leaving from the bow view of my TV, and once we departed I went out on deck as we left the harbor.

It is now Friday morning and during my walk I found sunrise delayed but eventually did catch the sun emerging from the clouds.

dawn1111.jpg

My parting shot will be wishes for a great Veterans, Remembrance, or Armistice day as the case may be.

Note:  I posted last night;s dinner menu and the first 2 Daily Programs on my blog this morning:

https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/2022/11/11/thursday-november-10-2022-not-half-moon-cay-board-eurodam-fort-lauderdale/

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

@rafinmd Good Morning very early here in Maui Roy!! This is my quiet time so I can paint!! Having my coffee and the ocean waves are so soothing and relaxing! Took a chance to see if you were up and had your first phot of your SUNRISE! 
You never fail! Beautiful and so peaceful!

🌺🌺Thank you

Denise☺️

image.jpeg.5ffe0d376ee591a51bf73c94e8e9ecbb.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Note:  I posted last night;s dinner menu and the first 2 Daily Programs on my blog this morning:

https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/2022/11/11/thursday-november-10-2022-not-half-moon-cay-board-eurodam-fort-lauderdale/

Roy

So glad you're finally onboard only a day late.   Thanks so much for the daily programs, they'll provide a good preview on our cruise that's right after yours.   How's the speed of the internet aboard?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Enjoy your sea day.  Hope the Eurodam is up to your expectations, and they treat you right.  I expect you will be doing some laps around the promenade deck.  Yesterday's turn around was rough on the crew, so I am guessing there may have been some snafus.

52 minutes ago, TickledBlue said:

So glad you're finally onboard only a day late.   Thanks so much for the daily programs, they'll provide a good preview on our cruise that's right after yours.   How's the speed of the internet aboard?

Thank you both. The internet is quite slow, although I've seen worse.

I imagine the entire last 2 days have been very hard on the crew.  I expect the entire 2 days has been very hard on the crew; while an extra day sounds nice, when you have onward plans made and don't know when the end will come I don't think it's all that great an experience even for the passengers, and that compounds the stress on the crew.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1