are there buffets on the outside deck ever?

luckyinpa

9 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

as we watch the love boat my gf asked me if any cruise lines have any type of buffet on the outside decks?  i know ive never seen any on ncl/royal/princess. 

Not a full sized buffet but plenty of ships have areas where snacks (sandwiches, pizza, breakfast foods, etc) are available   Norwegian Epic has a nice one right outside the buffet where I got late night food.

I guess that would depend on the cruise line. I have sailed before where we had a full seafood buffet out on deck one evening. This was a smaller ship and would not be in the "floating city" category.

Azamara usually does this once per cruise. 

I've read that ships have to meet certain codes as part of the Vessel Sanitation Program and that includes the availability of electrical power to keep hot food hot and cold food cool. I believe some outdoor buffets were done away with because the ships could not meet the code.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

as we watch the love boat my gf asked me if any cruise lines have any type of buffet on the outside decks?  i know ive never seen any on ncl/royal/princess. 

On the NCL Jewel Class ships, Jewel, Gem, Jade and Pearl there are buffets in the Great Outdoors . Not full sized, but having a decent selection at breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack time. we often eat there. You can go inside to the main Garden Cafe buffet if you want something additional not available  outside.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've read that ships have to meet certain codes as part of the Vessel Sanitation Program and that includes the availability of electrical power to keep hot food hot and cold food cool. I believe some outdoor buffets were done away with because the ships could not meet the code.

I think there was also to an issue with access to hot/cold running water at the service area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

If you are in MSC's Yacht Club there is a small outdoor buffet on the Yacht Club pool deck than runs most of every day including a chef making a special dish at lunchtime.

But, nothing like the outdoor buffets once were.  (Find photos of the outdoor buffets that Sitmar Cruises once created.) 

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

On our Viking cruise we had some type of outdoor buffet many days.

I wonder if the port of origination and destination has anything to do with this.  Sailing from/to a foreign port, the long arm of the USPH might not quite reach.

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is correct based on what I know.  How many thousands and thousands of guests dined at outdoor buffets for how many years without any serious issues?  

Deck BBQ's and such used to be quite commonplace.

A deck buffet on Marella Explorer back in June, so neither Elf and Safety nor Covid have put a stop to them, but they're certainly rarer than they used to be.😟

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This used to a feature of many of the Carnival ships (ex. fantasy class).  

I recall an outdoor buffet served once on Liberty of the seas on a Transatlantic.   They would also do fish and chips in the Pub on that cruise as well.  Quite different when it is a TA though.  

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

At times RCI has had a BBQ buffet near the pool area. There has also on occasion been a late night outdoor buffet.

It is my experience that a BBQ buffet outside almost guarantees it is going to rain 😁

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Silversea has indoor and outdoor seating at their buffet restaurant.

Very true but remember, it is only a buffet for breakfast and lunch.

I'm not sure what the appeal is of having the buffet outdoors. Every ship I've been on has indoor and outdoor seating available for the buffet. It's much easier to have the buffet at permanent hot/cold stations where the food prep area is nearby. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I'm not sure what the appeal is of having the buffet outdoors. Every ship I've been on has indoor and outdoor seating available for the buffet. It's much easier to have the buffet at permanent hot/cold stations where the food prep area is nearby. 

Some cruise lines do handle this quite well.  In MSC's Yacht Club,  there is an indoor/outdoor buffet (with a permanent covered buffet with grill and staff) which also is staffed with plenty of waiters.  If one does not want to dine in the dedicated indoor restaurant they can opt to sit at outdoor tables (with large umbrellas) and enjoy the nearby buffet along with table service.   Seabourn also has an indoor/outdoor buffet within a few feet of their outdoor hot tubs and pool.  One can be outside in their swim wear, go to the buffet (hot and cold) or take advantage of the available table service.  They also have an indoor Lido with a larger buffet (and table service) which has another covered outdoor dining area on the aft of the vessel.  This gives cruisers many different options to suit their mood and the current weather.  On those cruise lines we will sometimes go to the indoor restaurant for a nice breakfast and later, while relaxing in a lounger near the pool, we might grab another light breakfast snack.  

To us, one of the benefits of cruising are the many options for dining.  On most of the lines we cruise there are indoor, outdoor, table service, and buffet options.  On many ships there are actually multiple buffet options such as on Celebrity where they have the usual expansive Lido area, but also have a smaller "healthy" buffet at their indoor pool area.    

The "appeal" as you put it might be a morning when I simply put on a swim suit, head to an outdoor lounger, and grab some breakfast (from the nearby buffet) to enjoy poolside.  On other days we might want to have a more formal indoor or outdoor breakfast with a group of friends.  I prefer to have the options rather than being forced to fit fewer more stringent options.  

Hank

• Like 1