Dawn breaks as we sail from the Old World to the New World through the Atlantic Ocean, December 3rd - December 16th, 2022

spinnaker2

9 hours ago, MHF said:

Hey Lois, I'm boarding in San Juan in late January...you???

Missy

Hi Missy, I am boarding in Ft. Lauderdale in early January.......maybe we will meet one of these days but doesn't look like it will be this sailing.

Spins, reading on another thread, it sounds like Starink is scheduled for installation when you arrive back in Ft Lauderdale. If you get the chance, could you enquire if this is the case? Fingers crossed it is, though unfortunate for you guys just missing out. 

Don't think that's a swim lane. Netting on the pool due to weather. I think that is the side of the pool where one may languish.in a few inches of water and look like a merpax.

No books were used yesterday due to rain.

Formal night last night.

Some guests approached maitre d in la t.and were told to get jacket, one man said I don't have one. His wife said she doesn't have any dressy clothes either, moreover no reservations in the restaurant. No matter the maitre d went and found a jacket and a table for the couple.

Another man approached wearing a fleece pullover. A jacket found for him.

Some crew wearing masks. 

Internet still at molasses speed. Will inquire about starlink which I oppose on other grounds.

A rocky night with driving rain which looked like snow.

We have arrived at Funchal,  dawn on the horizon and the hills all twinkly with lights.

Early en suite breakfast as we try for an excursion.

It seems rain has abated.

Spins un dervished.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A beautiful and bright sunny day in Madeira, and mild temperatures near 70. a great day to go out and enjoy Madeira. Hopefully the crossing will be just as nice as today. Everything else is going just fine. We ate in LaTerazza last night. We were dressed formally too. We were in the back , so didn’t see the people not dressed apparently. Glad to hear it was enforced. 

• Like 2

Spins; I was just informed that our old butler of several cruises and very good friend Kartik is now the Head of Housekeeping on the Dawn. If you have the chance would you please pass our best to him from Doug and Lynn Burns. Tell him I'll be aboard for the Mar/Apr crossing from Barbados-Lisbon in 864. Lynn doesn't want to go, because she has trouble sleeping aboard ship. Thanks! Have a great crossing.

No way to upload images. Tried, its too slow.

Was rainy this morning but now the sun is out and the Dawn moves forward.

Some high surf in the pool, waves crashing onto the steps. And as I watch, the Net goes over the pool. The spray continues from the partially drained pool, at least as high as the top of the hot tubs.

A long series of sea days ahead. Lots of activities in the Chronicles. 

Madeira was delightful, a Jeep tour with a local wine tasting.  We even saw some black sheep, with plenty of wool. I forgot to bring my three bags.

Perfumed herbaceous air, scents of flowers and eucalyptus. We have done the jeep tour before, but this was different. I highly recommend it to see the interior of the island, which the locals refer to as Jurassic park. 

Trivia by Bruno is fun and challenging. His mellifluous voice is mesmerizing at announcement time. 

Dinner last evening was in Atlantide,  insightful conversation and camaraderie. 

Christmas has come aboard…

Doug I will pass along your message as best I am able.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Another beautiful morning on the beautiful Dawn at sea. The elves worked extra hard yesterday, and the ship is fully decorated.

I’ve got 100 days both on Silversea and Seabourn. I was on a Seabourn cruise less than 3 weeks before this cruise . My wife and I have both come to the conclusion that Silversea surpasses Seabourn by far. The food and service has been wonderful, and beautifully presented. To be fair we’re a little more than half occupancy. However, with all the dining choices the service is wonderful and the food excellent. We’ve only encountered one hiccup at Spacanaoppli when we arrived after a tour with a large group arriving before us. However, they were quick to send reinforcements. The speakers have been excellent.  

• Like 11

The definition between sea and sky is quite extreme. A bit of rain as we move quietly forward through the sea this morning. 

Another day to enjoy.

The captain has spoken of a storm brewing off Florida and how our course may be altered slightly more southerly. 

The bars are  busy, the restaurants busy and events well attended. Nothing has dampened the spirits of the passengers aboard the Dawn. All is well here. 

20221208_033119_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 8