Silhouette LIVE (1/12) w/ Side by Side: A Royal Week on Celebrity and MSC

GenerationX

17 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

t will be interesting what the main crowd is like on a longer itinerary on the newer ships with higher fares, but just based on this cruise I don’t think I would personally sail MSC outside of yacht club

This is exactly how we felt on NCL when we sailed in the Haven. The shame is that you don’t experience the total ship. 

Cheers!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Thank you so much for your review.  Are there any shore excursions that are exclusively marketed for Yacht Class?

Thank you!  No, I didn’t see any Yacht Club exclusive excursions and the excursion options generally seemed limited and not very interesting.  That may be because of our ports though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, countess5 said:

This is exactly how we felt on NCL when we sailed in the Haven. The shame is that you don’t experience the total ship. 

Cheers!

I agree, there were some great looking live music performances listed in the daily each day, and in several different lounges. It would have been nice to be able to take a cocktail and bounce from place to place before dinner enjoying it all.  But the lounges were always so full of loud, pushy people and you could barely find a seat.  

I made an attempt to do this the second night and as a solo, when I did find a small table area to sit in, on multiple occasions people would sit down and with their friends/family/spouse and crowd me, without asking if I was waiting for anyone or permission to join or even really acknowledging my presence.

I certainly don’t mind company and love meeting new people, but it was just kind of uncomfortable to have strangers just crash down pressed hip to hip or shoulder to shoulder with me without so much as a “hello”.  Especially in post-COVID life.

While sitting at the bar in one of the lounges, a tipsy, sweaty, red-faced “gentleman” actually pressed himself into my back and accidentally punched me in the shoulder with his empty rocks glass as he tried to lean in around me and then shoved it in the poor bartender’s face and shook it at her saying “Another!” without so much as a please, por favor or per favore.  That was the last straw on lounge life outside of yacht club for me. I never missed the relaxed class of the Ensemble Lounge more.

It did seem like we had a good number of South American and European guests on this sailing so perhaps some this is cultural etiquette differences. But I never saw the international guests in Yacht Club behaving this way, so I don’t know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have four cruises on MSC, two on Divina.  Entertainment is mostly musical, due to the international demographic.  Comedy doesn't travel well, especially for non-English speakers.  But I always felt the singers were good, classically trained.  Divina and Seaside had an abbreviated opera performance the last afternoon.  Can't remember if Armonia did.  

Now, allow me to add some cabin pictures from steerage.  This first one was a tiny inside on our first cruise, very cheap as it was the three day US inaugural in 2013.  This cabin is now called a junior inside:  13147

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

Needless to say, it was cramped but it was only three days.

This is a standard inside, more space,12275

This is a standard balcony cabin, 12285

11005 with different color scheme

This was our Bella balcony, 8114.  It has only a single easy chair because the bathroom has a tub/shower.  

I have pcs of Seaside, too, but since this thread is about Divina, I'll limit it to her.

As an aside, MSC cruises in the Caribbean without any US ports also board guests in several ports.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Thank you for realizing where I was coming from and not chastising me, as others tend to do when their way of thinking doesn't align with another's.  Having said that, I didn't mean to insinuate that you were the one complaining about the meals and service.  I guess I was pointing it out to others who do that; the fact of the matter is, if you're booked in a suite, your meals and service should be elevated compared to those in a lower category cabin.  I take no issue with that at all.  What I do take issue with is the fact that you have encountered less service than others given your sex and race .  That is NEVER acceptable.  But without getting political, I'm not surprised.  Our country needs to do better.

I think the only thing that I didn't think was fair was going ahead of people at a bar that were waiting before you.  I'm not implying that you asked for that; it was a perk given your accommodations.  Perhaps it annoyed me more because when I'm ready for my glass of Pinor Grigio (very chilled, if you please...LOL), I hate waiting a minute longer than necessary!!!LOL  

Good for you for achieving what you have in life that enables you to enjoy the fruits of your labor.  Life is short (I know, my husband and I had a month-long land/cruise trip scheduled from Italy this past October, and one week before our departure, I suffered a massive stroke.  (Completely unexpected, no health issues, and relatively young (67).  The neurologist told me I was extremely lucky to survive this type of stroke (cerebellar) because most don't, and that I wasn't overseas when it occurred.  I am recovering slowly and while I go through numerous tests to try to find the cause and continue to rehab, I will enjoy reading about your adventures.  Again, thank you for taking the time and energy to allow us to travel along with you.  Until I am ready to travel in person, I will do it vicariously through you!

Thank you so much for the polite and respectful discourse on different perspectives on an issue!  

It’s so sad to me that being able to have a candid, yet respectful discussion of one’s differing opinions has become so rare these days. Especially online.

I am so sorry to hear about your stroke, but so glad that you made in through in a situation where it sounds like many don’t. I hope that your recovery continues well and that the doctors are able to quickly give you some answers so that you are back on deck at sea sipping an ice cold glass of Pinot Grigio very soon!

In fact, please let me know when you do get back out to sea and if our itineraries ever cross, Jeremy and I will  treat you and your husband to a bottle of a good Pinot Grigio on us and we can all toast and celebrate your return to health and travel!

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 27

I can't believe your cruise is over and your winging yourself home.   For some reason when I looked at the Cruises, I thought it was an 11 day cruise, but now realize it must be what someone mentioned that people board and disembark at different times. 

image.thumb.png.ed3a9c6c13b3e1da4e22c1568eee8de3.png

Your review has been your best so far and enjoy immensely. 

I usually don't talk about fashion but had to say for your future cruises.   You favorite dress I've seen you in is the one you wore to the Gatsby Night on a previous cruise. Looked like a designer's Couture designed just for you.    Would work on any cruise. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Thank you so much for the polite and respectful discourse on different perspectives on an issue!  

It’s so sad to me that being able to have a candid, yet respectful discussion of one’s differing opinions has become so rare these days. Especially online.

I am so sorry to hear about your stroke, but so glad that you made in through in a situation where it sounds like many don’t. I hope that your recovery continues well and that the doctors are able to quickly give you some answers so that you are back on deck at sea sipping an ice cold glass of Pinot Grigio very soon!

In fact, please let me know when you do get back out to sea and if our itineraries ever cross, Jeremy and I will  treat you and your husband to a bottle of a good Pinot Grigio on us and we can all toast and celebrate your return to health and travel!

you are a great guide but also a diplomat...hope you may join the ones  in  black robes...after you make alit of $$$ in pvt practice!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OysterD said:

Firstly, thanks Charla for taking the time to post this wonderful series of reviews. I'd say I hope you're having a fabulous time but it seems pretty obvious you are!

I just read through all 14 pages and I was going to ask a question which weirdly enough seems to have been answered in the very last comment I got to!

I remember I looked at MSC a few years ago and got the impression that unlike most lines, MSC have embarkation and disembarkation options in pretty much every port on their Med sailings. You might book a 9 night round trip from Rome with a first stop in Naples but hundreds of people will have booked a 9 night round trip from Naples on the same ship and will be boarding on what is your 2nd day but for them it's their 1st. If that makes sense lol. To me that just sounded pretty awful in so many respects and when added to other reviews and comments about food, service, constant announcements in multiple languages, entertainment not really catering to English language speakers (I completely understand and appreciate why) plus ships being inundated with kids running around, it was enough to put us off. 

I think as JeanieC pointed out, the constant embarkations in every port of call isn't probably an issue in the Caribbean and maybe other parts of the world, but if you're looking at an MSC cruise in the Med, definitely bear that in mind! 

Edit: I'd almost forgotten about another reason we were put off MSC, the gaudiness of most of their ships haha. Just remembered some of the photos Charla posted and others I've seen...they look like stepping back in time a good few decades. Shiny gold/brass trim around doors and handrails all over the ships just makes me wince in horror! 

We did one a few years ago and while you are aware of the constant embarking and disembarking you are not as disturbed by it in the YC. We probably spent the vast bulk of the our time in the YC only leaving in ports where a butler always took you through the masses to outside or to go to the restaurant. We were on the Preziosa and the suite restaurants was at the back. The trip from the elevator at the YC to the front elevator did give you an idea of just how many passengers were on the ship!

Safe travels and thank you. 
I’ll surely miss my daily dose of your review. 

Decided on Oceania instead of YC or a suite in Celebrity. 
If you’ve done a review on O pls post the link when you have the time. 
Thank you. 

We are fans of the  Cabanas on Royal and X..  some come with a great lunch buffet, island transport   drinks, the filled cooler,  great service  and delightful  fan...  love the ones where  u can enter the water directly from the cabana.. the ones you posted were more upscale but we like the ones  X/ Royal  offers.  Pricey but worth it to us.

we treated dtr and her husb to share one ( coincidentally booked the smne cruise once)   They were in heaven!

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can't believe your cruise is over and your winging yourself home.   For some reason when I looked at the Cruises, I thought it was an 11 day cruise, but now realize it must be what someone mentioned that people board and disembark at different times. 

image.thumb.png.ed3a9c6c13b3e1da4e22c1568eee8de3.png

Your review has been your best so far and enjoy immensely. 

I usually don't talk about fashion but had to say for your future cruises.   You favorite dress I've seen you in is the one you wore to the Gatsby Night on a previous cruise. Looked like a designer's Couture designed just for you.    Would work on any cruise. 

Thank you Jim!

This is another thing MSC does that Celebrity doesn’t. Apparently my cruise was bookable as just a 4 day and also as an 11 day combined with the 7 day cruise that starts today.

I think the 7 day was also available to book separately because on evening 2 (shortly after my butler appeared at the yacht club hot tub, cocktail bearing tray in hand, because he’d heard I was up there and thought I might enjoy a drink while I watched the sunset) I went to see the future cruise consultant about the potential of staying onboard and was given the option to book the 7 day.  

It was a reasonable price and combined with what I paid for the 4 night, would’ve resulted in an 11 night suite class Caribbean cruise with a unique port (the 7 day is going to Belize in addition to the usual Mexico stops) for a total of about $5000 and $300 onboard credit, including solo supplement.

Unfortunately, me spending half the month of January at sea was going to be a very tough case for me to make to the folks back home both family and professionally.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

have safe trip home

you looked marvelous..I want this dress!

hope to see you again

7F737AEA-09AD-4014-A244-99E7ACBA6C15.thumb.jpeg.0868727fda6657009263036fe2adf97a.jpeg.jpg

Thank you!  If you happen to be in port on grand cayman one day, I got this dress pre-COVID in the souvenir shop that’s right next  to the tender boarding area.  Worth checking to see if they still have it! 

I've seen other lines where, usually in the Caribbean, you can book a b2b as one cruise.  One of my friends once did that and wondered why, at the mid point of her 14 day cruise, the ship called at the port she boarded on.  I think it was Princess in that case.

Thanks Charla for another outstanding review! I’m bummed that your voyage is over, as I’m sure you are as well. Looking forward to following along on your next cruise. Got us thinking about the Yacht Club for our next booking. We have an upcoming B3B next month on the Beyond in suites, so we’ll see how that goes before “jumping ship” to another line. 

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

We didn’t have the multiple embark/disembark ports on this sailing

Great review, we've multi ported many times & love it, means when it is your time to leave you're not trying to disembark with another 4000 people. 

But then Yacht Club guests would go to the front anyhow. 

I You Tubed the gorgeous MSC Seascape pretty intensely yesterday.  The ship is still red, glitzy and pattern-heavy, but in a much more toned-down way compared to MSC Divina.  They are still doing the velour headboards, but they have moved on from mauve and animal prints to greige and geometric prints.  I have no cruises booked until December, so may give it a try over the summer.  Thanks again @GenerationXfor the insight and inspiration during my cruising dry-out period.  Safe travels home.

• Thanks 1

Thank you fro another great live report. I always feel like I am on board experiencing the great ship, suite, food and views with you. 

If I return to Celebrity, it will be in suite on a M class ship. I do like learning but other cruise lines too. MSC does seem more European  in many ways. 

Look forward to  reading aobut your next cruise later this year. 

On 1/18/2023 at 6:01 AM, GenerationX said:

It’s a beautiful morning to be nursing sprite and ice water on my veranda.

My butler has been really good about restocking my ice bucket and bottled water at turn down and this morning it is a life saver.

We’ll go further back in time later today and talk about my amazing early evening last night at the One Pool and second dinner in Le Muse.

But first, I wanna tell you all about the most ridiculous cruise ship party I’ve ever been to. 

MSC does not play when it comes to their white night pool party.  Apparently they throw a party like they decorate a cruise ship. Extra. Extra. EXTRA.

While as mentioned above, I’m not much of a fan of over the top decor. On the other hand, I love an over the top party.

I think every crew member who could sing, dance, do a backflip or play an instrument showed up in full white party attire at some point to perform.

After the performances a DJ started and the ship’s entertainment team got the dance floor started.  I’ve had some really great party nights on Celebrity (as evidenced my my hangover nursing on the retreat sun deck on day 2 of my prior cruise).  This party though was like south beach at sea.

Looking at how crowded the deck was, I’d say 70% of the adult passengers on the ship were at that party (and, at least at 11pm at night, had enough sense to not bring their small children).  Even better, 90% of said attendees had RHYTHM!  And got out on the dance floor nonstop for almost 2 hours!

Alcohol consumption seemed to abound, but I didn’t see anyone getting to the point of being a sloppy mess.

When I pulled myself away from the dance floor a little after midnight, I was actually the early bailer.  So I can’t represent or warrant whether the fun took a turn for a hot mess later on.

When I got back to my room, I cooled off on my veranda drinking wine and eating cake and prosciutto and, while the sound didn’t carry inside the room, out on the veranda I could still hear echoes of the party still going strong.

Oh, you’re probably wondering how on earth I ended up with wine, cake and prosciutto at midnight.  Well…

When I got back to the quiet refuge of the yacht club and came in my room, I saw that butler Kevin’s turndown game seems to be escalating with each passing night.

At dinner tonight I was way too full to have dessert and be in any fit state for a dance party afterwards. Rohan and Z then suggested that I just tell them what I’d like for dessert and Kevin could come collect it and deliver it to my room at turndown so that I had a little snack after the party.

I took them up on that and when I got back post-party I saw that Kevin did in fact deliver my chocolate cake.  Plus a glass of wine. And meat and cheese.  With preserves and honey, just how I order my cheese plate at the restaurant.

After I finish my sprite I’m going to go find some recovery breakfast and then hang out by the one pool.  Then maybe have a chat with the gentleman from future cruises (NEVER thought I’d be saying that about any other line than Celebrity).  This afternoon we arrive at Ocean Cay.

A275FFA3-3C42-4D6D-8448-5B1C26252041.thumb.jpeg.6fe993d90837a2b82f8f42062fa8f46b.jpeg

044864DC-83C8-43FD-8391-FC9DB1717970.thumb.jpeg.508ce7362eb4f029a428ecfe996fa48f.jpeg

02178396-FE59-46AD-A5C7-E1263E4F8870.thumb.jpeg.02d995835a955e55ff7e0483265856bd.jpeg

1C74CF1A-136A-419D-91E0-BA26930DC4BC.thumb.jpeg.4dbbd718f77abbcc57ac2743f884212b.jpeg

57A37F24-A327-4583-A04D-12ACD861E6D8.thumb.jpeg.4ad000e02abcbbd7331565706af8b752.jpeg

8D9F0175-5A82-443A-A9D8-1AF223B9D263.thumb.jpeg.4f6ded8a71a32db046725680f444eaea.jpeg

You cracked me up with the escalating turn down game comment!!  And that party sounded amazing, so much fun.  Your reviews always make me want to get on a ship immediately and hope that I run into you.  Thanks for taking us along, it’s a blast.

• Thanks 1