The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 9th, 2023

rafinmd

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Is that a misspelling,  Coreographers Day?

If so, It’s Saturday Night Fever on a Monday 🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺

And a big shoutout to all our Law Enforcement Personnel!

Forgot it is also Ballon Ascension Day. 

I have no problem getting a ballon to ascend with hot air. I let my talking cause the ascension 😀

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

I know we are all feeling this....but I am absolutely "gutted" over Jacqui @kazu and Kathi @Scrapnana....there is no better word....

I hope both are receiving the help they need right now....and can get safely home....

And....thanks Ann @Vict0riann for your update on Jacqui....

On a more positive note....I've been thinking about how we can prepare for Plan B's....especially when traveling solo.....so here is the challenge....put your thinking caps on and let's find some good ideas.....!!
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Having lived in Ohio for most of my life, we always begin the New Year with Sauerkraut and Pork we've continued the tradition here in Florida.  I put the kraut and pork in the crock pot and let it cook for most of the day.  I blame 2020 on the fact we didn't do it.  LOL

Sue is originally from Dayton and we always have saurkraut and pork for New Years Day. She does it in a Dutch oven though.

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Having lived in Ohio for most of my life, we always begin the New Year with Sauerkraut and Pork we've continued the tradition here in Florida.  I put the kraut and pork in the crock pot and let it cook for most of the day.  I blame 2020 on the fact we didn't do it.  LOL

Sorry, CC acting up.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 4

I'll salute both Choreographers and Law Enforcement (they frequently work very closely with fire)  but pass on the balloon.  I have not been to Bornholm Island; if you wish to do it on a  HB this year June 7 on the Rotterdam is the time.  I love the Hubbard quote.  and like @StLouisCruisers will leave the sauerkraut to @dfish.    My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Rustic Lasagna, and Strawberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam January 9, 2019: 

dishes09.jpg

As I look at Marine Traffic sites it looks like Noordam may have found a chance to duck in at Christchurch/Lyttelton for a day.

I think the one silver lining for @kazu is that she was disembarked in Puerto Vallarta instead of Matzalan where all hell broke loose  while she was in the hospital.

I'm not sure where my mind was when I posted the lists yesterday.  I hope today's make a bit more sense.

Today’s care list:

luvteaching DH UTI
Kazu in hospital in Puerto Vallarta possibly recovering from surgery
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles
Ominous scan for Marshhawk
Scrapnana
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Demar Hamlin much improved but still critical

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Demar Hamlin’s charity
Happy Birthday Superoma DGS
cruszn single in Hawaii until 1/31
Cruisin Terri home ready for return except for bedding
GTVCRUISER(1/14), DeeniEncinetas, Victoriann(1/14), crystalspin (1/14) , sailingdutchty   (Koningsdam  to 1/31), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14), Aliaschief (Onward  to 1/17) Seasick Sailor and ger_77 (Rotterdam  to 1/25), lindaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  It's a nippy 43 degrees, and since we didn't do any shopping yesterday, that is on the agenda today.  Along with a small greek pizza and salad.    DH and I are both working the late shift,  so soup for dinner.  I wanted to make ribs in the crock pot, but DH says eating ribs and being on the phone, just wasn't feasible.  

I love the quote, and what an unfortunate way for the author to pass away.  But he is right.

Balloon ascension day.  What goes up, must come down.

i-heerby-sentence-this-balloon-to-death-

27ec732ac2f794e738d1fc060abaf7a9.png

Yesterday on a whim, I checked to make sure that our Air Alaska Flight had not changed again, and yes it had. To a later time (the last flight out of Atlanta) and I called (our new phone would not call Air Alaska) and said at the rate they kept changing the flight,  we needed to change it to a morning flight to guarantee that we actually made it into Vancouver on the last flight out of Seattle.  Now, we will get into Vancouver in the afternoon,  not midnight.  That's a plus, but now I know to check every month with this company.  Same seats, same plane, same perks, and because they keep changing it, no charges.

I hope you all have a marvelous day, and that we hear some good news about Kathi and Jacqui today.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 20
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Rowsby said:
I know we are all feeling this....but I am absolutely "gutted" over Jacqui @kazu and Kathi @Scrapnana....there is no better word....

I hope both are receiving the help they need right now....and can get safely home....

On a more positive note....I've been thinking about how we can prepare for Plan B's....especially when traveling solo.....so here is the challenge....put your thinking caps on and let's find some good ideas.....!!

Latest update is that the surgery was successful and she hopes to fly home tomorrow, Tuesday. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 27

Good morning from a sunny central Texas where it is currently 49F with a light breeze from the south.  We're supposed to be in the mid 70s today and 80F to 82F tomorrow and Wednesday, before dropping back into the 60s for a few days.

All the leaves have finally fallen from our neighbor's tree, and if the south breeze turns into a south wind, maybe all the leaves will blow into our yard.  Then, I would only have one more big leaf clean up to tackle.  🤞

I appreciate the good law enforcement officers, balloon ascension day and choreographers.  For the first few years we were in Quartzsite, people would bring their hot air balloons in early January.  It was nice seeing them float over the desert.  Usually, one night, they would light up their balloons for a balloon glow.  The last time that happened, one of the balloons was not tied down well, and lifted off, floating toward the nearby mountains in the dark.  We never found out how that ended.

Elbert Hubbard nailed it with today's quote.

We'll pass on the meal and drink.  The wine sounds nice, and I would like to try it.

While we've been to several ports in Denmark, but we have not been to Ronne.

It's good to see the Zuiderdam and Volendam together one last time before they head their separate ways.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm sorry your last two experiences in the specialty restaurants were not good.  We were lucky on the Koningsdam and never had a bad night in any specialty restaurants.  It was good you reported the experience in the Tamarind, and that they are trying to make it right.

@cunnorl  Charlene, I hope your days and nights straighten out soon.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope they figure out how to save the coast road.  I doubt they can do much to stop the storms.

@smitty34877  Terry, sending positive thoughts that you nephews stay safe on the job.

@marshhawk  Annie, it's hard to believe they keep changing the times of your flight.  Hope they settle on one that's a good time for you.

@Vict0riann  Ann, thanks for the update on Jacqui @kazu.  I am very glad the surgery was successful.  I hope tomorrow or whenever she flies home that she has a safe and uneventful journey.

I also hope Kathi @Scrapnana gets a treatment plan and that it is successful.  I also hope she is able to travel home soon and have her treatments in familiar surroundings.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

I'm taking advantage of the quiet before DH and DSIL get up and will try to get a quick post in now.

Yesterday we took DSIL to Seattle.  As I've said before, she's never been west of the Mississippi.  She wanted to see the Space Needle in person, and go to Pike Place Market.  Even though it was chilly and drizzling, we were thankful the weather wasn't worse.  I was very pleased that she was able to see the fish mongers "throw a fish".  They threw it 3 times in fact.  Many times we've taken friends there and they weren't lucky enough to see them do it.  Contrary to what many think, it doesn't happen all the time.

Then last night we bundled up a little more and went to Lantern Lights at the zoo with the rest of the family.  Since it's become kind of a family tradition to do it every year, we're pleased that they change it every year.  As always it was excellent.

Today the plan is to meet my sister and DBIL in Bellingham and have lunch on the waterfront, then we'll take DSIL to the Peace Arch where she can at least "see" Canada.  Unfortunately she doesn't have a passport (as I said, she never travels!)  But I want her to at least be able to say she "saw" Canada.  Then later today it will be dinner at DS and DDIL's.  

Have a great day everyone!

745778605_spaceneedle2.thumb.jpg.1673b5bfd997d221bb26a0c181f66029.jpg

330652457_zoolights.thumb.jpg.e5e7eddfc2ede4a2d1fb6e12a5b4c1a2.jpg

apes.thumb.jpg.351ace071594048431fe753cd3890f60.jpg

video.html

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Latest update is that the surgery was successful and she hopes to fly home tomorrow, Tuesday. 

This is very good news.

1 hour ago, Rowsby said:

Excellent idea to have this discussion.  I can tell you that I saw Jacqui shortly before she left the ship, and I've been sleepless ever since, thinking about this frail woman alone in a hospital in Mexico.  Thinking what could we have done, how could we have helped -- even wishing I'd left the ship with her, as our cruise was almost over and we were headed back to San Diego.  Or even if we could have taken some of the luggage and shipped it home to her. 

Of course, we didn't know until later that she was taken off the ship, and all these thoughts are nonsense, as I speak no Spanish and Jacqui was traveling with friends from Canada, so they could be more effective in handling things than a U.S. citizen could be.  But still...there but for the grace of God...

So, yes, good to discuss "What ifs."   

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Volendam and Zuiderdam are in Fuerte Amidor.  I've been there several times (2016-19) but it has always been a tender port.  I was surprised to see that there is apparently a dock there now:

Capture3.jpg.9e64024d5e9333d22eef970f80c886e6.jpg

Roy for Rich

Morning Roy for Rich 😉

They have built a two-ship cruise pier attached to one of the causeways at Fuerte Amador - It is supposed to be 90% finished but looks like they are already using it

Some more info:

https://panamarealtyzone.com/en/new-cruise-terminal-in-panama-city-what-you-need-to-know/ 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

I'm from northern Ohio and one part of my family believed strongly in eating sauerkraut on New Year's Day, but they were from Pennsylvania and it may have been Pennsylvania Dutch influence.

Unfortunately, they had forgotten how to prepare it: just bought it in cans and ate it straight out of the can. (Well, heated up.) I didn't learn to like it until I used the recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, which also has a version for uncured red cabbage. Pork doesn't feature in my cooking but duck or goose is excellent in it. Leftover turkey dark meat would work, too.

• Like 22

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

That is good news and I am sure she is anxious to get home. Will keep those positive vibes going to both Jacqui and Kathi. I agree with @Rowsbyand those of us who are solo travelers need to think a plan B and C and D and......

Susan

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all.I am a bit late since Monty had to go into the vet this morning... just a shot and also I had them do a pedicure. It was worth every penny.Trying to trim the black nails of a squirming 5 lb Chihuahua is not easy... if fact it is impossible without cutting the quick. He was sure I was taking him to his end but now he is home and sleeping soundly. At least he does not bite.

Nothing else really on my plate today. There is an issue at the shelter with payroll which the new ED is handling (YES!!!!) and I will go in tomorrow to go over a contract with her and see how the resolution to the payroll issue is coming but she is doing the ground work. Slowly phasing out. Now I can concentrate on the condo.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 19

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @rafinmd @richwmn.

I certainly appreciate law enforcement for the tough job they have. Balloon ascension Day - haven't ever been on one. Choreographers are brilliant artists. True quote. I just had pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day and leftovers a few days later. I'll pass on the drink and yes for the wine.

I haven't been to Bornholm Island.

It's chilly but sunny here today. I still need to put away outdoor Christmas decorations as I didn't get to it over the weekend.

@aliaschief I like the taste of Germany menu.

@Seasick Sailor Sorry to hear your last 2 dinners were a let down; I hope they do better. 

@luvteaching I'm glad you were proactive in getting treatment for your DH. I hope he feels better quickly. 

@Vict0riann Thanks for the updates on @kazu Jacqui and it sounds like good news!

@Cruising-along It sounds like good family time!

@Copper10-8 Great photo and thanks for having been in law enforcement!

Prayers for @kazu @Scrapnana and all on the Care List. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@aliaschief I like the taste of Germany

They have a different theme every day.

Tonight we are going to Chefs Table where the theme is Stateside 

Menu. They also have French, Italian theme evenings.

This is extra fee and I believe around 14 folks maximum.

image.thumb.jpeg.cc94bc504c5be5ba1025d97f7d0adab8.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

They have a different theme every day.

Tonight we are going to Chefs Table where the theme is Stateside 

Menu. They also have French, Italian theme evenings.

This is extra fee and I believe around 14 folks maximum.

image.thumb.jpeg.cc94bc504c5be5ba1025d97f7d0adab8.jpeg

Another great menu. You are doing a great sailing job for booking our next cruise. Wait a minute, what is this I just received, the Holland America Censor Board is reviewing your posts 😳

• Like 5
  • Haha 4