Value from Drinks Package

Desert Cruiser 75

I am looking to book my first cruise and one decision that I found difficult is a drinks package.  On one cruise I am looking at the drinks package with fees would be about $747 for seven days.  I find it difficult to imagine myself drinking $747 worth.  Maybe I'm seriously underestimating how much I could drink in a day, but I want to better understand the math.  For those who get drink packages do you find you're getting better value than just paying for drinks individually?  Do you really break even on the packages (given the inflated drink prices on the ship) or is it about paying for less hassle? Are you drinking ~$100/day? Or what do you feel you're paying for with that?  Are you throwing money away on port days when you're not on the ship guzzling all day?  Do drink packages start from the time you board to the time you leave at the end?  

Welcome to Cruise Critic, JA!

More than $100 a day seems high. We find value in Holland America's package, at $45pp/day bought pre-sailing. Have decided not to buy Carnival's Cheers plan at $60pp/day! But to try to behave as though we did have all-inclusive and see how it does add up.

There are websites that help you calculate whether it will "pay for itself". And many many threads on CC; they are most useful to read about the package(s) on the line you will be sailing as they vary so much. It looks like you are considering Celebrity? Browse this board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/16-celebrity-cruises/

ETA: your last two questions: yes, port-intensive cruises eat away at the value of a beverage package. And, at least on HAL, I believe the package ends at midnight the night before disembarcation... but final mornings are so hectic, I can't swear I've ever tried to get a latte...

Edited by crystalspin

6 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, JA!

More than $100 a day seems high. We find value in Holland America's package, at $45pp/day bought pre-sailing. Have decided not to buy Carnival's Cheers plan at $60pp/day! But to try to behave as though we did have all-inclusive and see how it does add up.

There are websites that help you calculate whether it will "pay for itself". And many many threads on CC; they are most useful to read about the package(s) on the line you will be sailing as they vary so much. It looks like you are considering Celebrity? Browse this board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/16-celebrity-cruises/

Wow that is a massive difference in drink package prices.  Yes, looking at a cruise with Celebrity.  The "Classic Package" is $89+20% so like 107/day..  Just starting my research so I need to check out some other cruises.
But kind of feeling the same about a drinks package.  Just forgo and unless it is a massive hassle, I think I'd rather just pay per drink.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jarivera said:

I am looking to book my first cruise and one decision that I found difficult is a drinks package.  On one cruise I am looking at the drinks package with fees would be about $747 for seven days.

I have been on 30+ cruises and never bought a drink package.

• Like 4

For some people, cruising means they can drink as much as possible because they are not driving…and they may possibly get value out of the drinks packages.  There is one member who does live from accounts of her cruises and at the end of each day lists the drinks she has had.  It boggles my mind that she can remember what she drank, much less what she did…. I would never get a package because I seldom drink.  Not because I am against it, but I just don’t like the taste of alcohol.  When I do, it is something that disguises the taste.  Less than one a day.  My usual drink is a Diet Coke on the rocks with a twist of lime…. EM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Drinks packages make sense for people who are heavy drinkers - and possibly encourage some people to become heavy drinkers (at least while on vacation) so as to get their money’s worth.

If they all have the 15 drinks/day maximum,  I question how many people can actually handle that volume and still be standing.   If they do, I suspect they are imbibing a lot of watered down drinks.   I've heard many times about pours becoming lighter as drink counts increase.   

• Like 2

We haven’t ever bought a drinks package but have received them as a perk. It doesn’t take long to rack up $70 worth of drinks, especially if that includes the 18% gratuity. We are not heavy drinkers but if you have a beer or glass of wine with lunch, a cocktail before dinner and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner you have easily spent $50. Then add a second cocktail at a show and maybe a nightcap. There’s $70. 

And yeah, it’s nice to know you CAN have an extra drink or two and there’s no need to worry about driving! 

On 1/28/2023 at 3:20 PM, Desert Cruiser 75 said:

I am looking to book my first cruise and one decision that I found difficult is a drinks package.  On one cruise I am looking at the drinks package with fees would be about $747 for seven days.  I find it difficult to imagine myself drinking $747 worth.  Maybe I'm seriously underestimating how much I could drink in a day, but I want to better understand the math.  For those who get drink packages do you find you're getting better value than just paying for drinks individually?  Do you really break even on the packages (given the inflated drink prices on the ship) or is it about paying for less hassle? Are you drinking ~$100/day? Or what do you feel you're paying for with that?  Are you throwing money away on port days when you're not on the ship guzzling all day?  Do drink packages start from the time you board to the time you leave at the end?  

figure each drink you order will be about $15.00 ( including gratuity.) Do the math, and then you will know if it's worth it.  Like you said in your post, if the you are off ship for most of the cruise, it may not be worth it.  You can g online and search for drink prices on the cruise line you are sailing on.  That will give you a bit of an idea on how much if you don't get the package.  FYI...Some cruise lines allow you to bring unto two bottles of wine on board to drink in your cabin.  Maybe that may be a better way.  Just don't take to the restaurants, they will charge you a corkage fee.  Also, you can have order a bottle of wine in the dining room, and they will put the unfinished bottle in a locker for you until the next time.  I think you get a ticket that you give the the waiter so they can retrieve the unfinished bottle.  And one more thing,  look for Happy Hour specials on drinks in certain bars.  That can save you money as well.  

• Like 1

Here is a link to a drink package calculator https://cruisespotlight.com/drink-package-calculator/. Remember to factor in the non-alcohol drinks that you will be having through the day. You don't need to come anywhere near 15 per day to break even. Remember also that you are working with averages, so if you have more on a sea day and less on a day in port it will average out. If one starts at noon and has one drink per hour until midnight that's 12 and for most people one drink per hour won't lead to intoxication. 

• Like 3

I know I'm maybe in the minority here but I think they are worth it for the amount that we drink. We had heard stories of heavy drinkers ending up with $1000 drink tabs at the end of cruises so our first cruise we bought the drink package. Now, we always cruise with NCL that includes the drink packages. For us it is worth it to not have to think about money every time we want a drink. It makes it so we don't feel bad being adventurous and trying new drinks. If we don't like it and can't drink it then I don't have to feel guilty that I just threw away a $12 drink. Not saying we are wasteful but last cruise I finally tried a bloody mary and literally could not drink it because I didn't like it that much.

*Just my two cents.

• Like 4

It’s entirely personal.  On my latest (/first) cruise, two party members virtually didn’t drink.  They did not get the package.  Two (moi inclus) did drink.  The drinks were not strong.  We did not get drunk and broke even on day 4 of 7 without trying.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 6:59 PM, ldubs said:

If they all have the 15 drinks/day maximum,  I question how many people can actually handle that volume and still be standing.   If they do, I suspect they are imbibing a lot of watered down drinks.   I've heard many times about pours becoming lighter as drink counts increase.   

That is just people's bodies adjusting to the alcohol.  The pour is the same.  

15 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is just people's bodies adjusting to the alcohol.  The pour is the same.  

My point is an inebriated person isn't likely to know much of anything.  😀

People claim they only binge drink on cruises.  Is downing 15 drinks per day really that common?  It seems like an enormous amount to me.   I honestly don't know.   I have many that many alcoholic drinks in a year.  Lol.  

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

People claim they only binge drink on cruises.  Is downing 15 drinks per day really that common?  It seems like an enormous amount to me.   I honestly don't know.   I have many that many alcoholic drinks in a year.  Lol.  

There is a definition for binge drinking- 5 drinks in a 2-3 hour period for a male, 4 drinks in a 2-3 hour period for a female. Drinking at this rate will inebriate (BAC .08 or higher) most people. Drinking 1 drink per hour is considered "safe" in that a normal persons BAC won't be raised above .08. I normally wake up at 6 a.m. even on vacation, but on vacation I'm likely to go to bed between 11 and 12 midnight. That's 17 to 18 hours. If I started drinking when I woke up (spiked coffee) and had one drink per hour throughout the day I could easily consume 15 on a sea day and not be inebriated. I don't do this, even with Cheers, but it does shows that it can be done.

Heavy drinking on the other hand is defined as 15 or more drinks in a week for a male, 8 or more per week for a female. I think a lot of people do heavy drinking on vacation. I know that I drink much more on vacation than I do at home. 

I have seen inebriated people on a cruise, but I wonder how they accomplish that given the weak pours everyone complains about and the slow bar service. 😉 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

15 in an hour is bingeing.  15 in 15 hours is not.  I hit 10-15 drinks and am not inebriated.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Not necessarily.  Body mass and tolerance matter.   

I guess everything can have a "not necessarily".   Otherwise not sure of, or maybe a little scared, of your point.  

On 1/28/2023 at 6:20 PM, Desert Cruiser 75 said:

For those who get drink packages do you find you're getting better value than just paying for drinks individually? 

You just have to do the math. You can search any cruise line + bar menus and you'll get images of the menus and the associated pricing of the drinks. If you drink specialty coffees like lattes and cappuccinos do the same for those.

Now estimate how many drinks you and your partner might drink per day and what types of drinks you might have.  Look at the menus and do the math. Does it match or exceed the price of the drinks package? If so then it might be worth it. If you're not close then no, it's not worth it. 

When we sailed the Carnival Mardi Gras this past March the drinks package was actually reasonable at around $51/day pp. But we opted not to get it and simply buy drinks ala carte. We spent less than $300 on all drinks for a 1 week cruise, and that was without even trying to 'save.' 

When we sail Royal Caribbean we'll often get the Refreshment package which includes all soft drinks and the specialty coffees then pay for the alcohol ala carte. 

The only cruise line we regularly get the drinks package is on NCL with their 'Free At Sea' program. The drinks package is 'free' and we just have to pay the gratuities which is about $300 per cabin for a one week cruise. That is right in line with what we will spend on a cruise. 

The Princess Plus package is also a good consideration because it's $60/day pp but that includes your WiFi and Gratuities.  Figure Gratuities are around $16-$18/day, WiFi is going to be about $15/day so that's around $27/day pp for drinks.  That's very reasonable because you're going to pay for gratuities and most folks are going to get WiFi these days.

Doing the math for your particular drinking style is the way to figure it all. If you're interested in how the Carnival drink package broke down vs. paying for it ala carte, here's the full breakdown.

https://youtu.be/iX2OJTAy_QU

Edited by WheresWalter
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I so dislike comments suggesting that to get full value from a drinks package,  you have to be a borderline alcoholic. 

The drinks packages include decent coffees, *proper* juices,  soft drinks bottled water ......nor just alcohol.

So: breakfast - fresh orange juice a decent coffee or two. 

Mid-morning - a couple of soft drinks in the heat

Lunchtime - 2 beers with food

Mid afternoon - a couple of beers

Just before coming inside to prepare for the evening - something like a pina cola

Before dinner  - a cocktail 

Dinner- 2 glasses of wine

Late evening- a nightcap, and 2 bottles of water to take back to the room.

That's only 9 alcoholic  drinks  but easily uses the daily charge on the package.

• Like 2

Depending on the company different things are included. On celebrity it includes bottled water and specialty coffees. Most days I’ll have 2-4 nice coffees, grab 4-7 water bottles, plus the 3-8 drinks. So I’m average it’s worth it for me when I am enjoying myself at that level. I just booked a TA with NCL and the drinks package is absolutely not worth it for me. Water isn’t included and I don’t plan on drinking more than 1-2 drinks a day if at all. The drinks on NCL are way overpriced though. I thought of doing the Starbucks package but since I’ll be in ports in Europe I know I will be drinking more coffee ashore. 

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

Depending on the company different things are included. On celebrity it includes bottled water and specialty coffees. Most days I’ll have 2-4 nice coffees, grab 4-7 water bottles, plus the 3-8 drinks. So I’m average it’s worth it for me when I am enjoying myself at that level. I just booked a TA with NCL and the drinks package is absolutely not worth it for me. Water isn’t included and I don’t plan on drinking more than 1-2 drinks a day if at all. The drinks on NCL are way overpriced though. I thought of doing the Starbucks package but since I’ll be in ports in Europe I know I will be drinking more coffee ashore. 

The NCL package is well worth it to me, with the gratuity at $20 pp pd as the total cost. I am fine with tap water (drink a ton), and my drinks of choice average $15, so I always get my monies worth. I do to where you live, but here restaurants change $8+ for beer, $12+ for wine and cocktails. I do not think they are overpriced at all.

29 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

The NCL package is well worth it to me, with the gratuity at $20 pp pd as the total cost. I am fine with tap water (drink a ton), and my drinks of choice average $15, so I always get my monies worth. I do to where you live, but here restaurants change $8+ for beer, $12+ for wine and cocktails. I do not think they are overpriced at all.

I drink scotch and it was $15 for a low end scotch on NCL and the stuff I would normally drink was more. It really depends on what you drink. A better scotch on Celebrity was $11.

Edited by SoloAlaska