Specialty restaurants & dress code

2 hours ago, ronandcarla said:

For us as a family and now the two of us we always wore the proper clothes dictated at that time.  We haven't been on a cruise for about 10 years now, and living in Florida always feels like we're on vacation and wearing  land vacation clothes continuously.  So in the last couple of weeks I have expressed to my wife about a cruise vacation and she asked me what is the dress code nowadays and I told her it's not anything like it was years ago, she said to me that was all part of the vacation mode, beautiful surroundings, dining room with plush decor, etc., so she said she's not interested and I agree with her.  So for everyone else have a great cruise, and for us we always had a great time and memories.

Go on Celebrity. They are a step up from RCI and they enforce their dress code in the MDR and specialty restaurants. 

• Like 3

We have a reservation at Chops on the second evening of our cruise, which I think is the formal night, or whatever they call it now.  We will be a little dressier that night and since it is our cruise, I don't see why we can't. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:59 PM, taglovestocruise said:

I have seen everything on you list worn on Formal night except the flip flops. They now let absolute pigs into main dining and specialty. 

Unfortunately you are correct.   Times have changed,  and not for the better.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Unfortunately you are correct.   Times have changed,  and not for the better.

Go ahead and explain to to me, since I am obviously an uncultured rube, why I should not be able to go to a steakhouse and enjoy an $185 A5 Wagyu filet from the Kagoshima Prefecture in shorts.  

Spoiler alert:  I did.

8 hours ago, baelor said:

RCI does not have dress code “rules” beyond the bare minimum of not being naked or its functional equivalent, so there is nothing to enforce.  There is certainly no formality rule.

The 'rule' for want of a better word is chaos. After the re-start we cruised from Port Canaveral and we see bikini's, bare feet and even onesies like someone has just got out of bed.

Head home to the UK and sail from Southampton three weeks later and nightly dress codes stated in the compass and enforced at the door with people turned away. 

The only thing I can think of is that it is adapted to the market as we are probably a bit more conservative with things over here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have not packed long pants or loafers in years; dine all over the ship, have NEVER been turned away from any venue 

Have you dined in Coastal Kitchen for dinner?  I just booked a suite on the Allure for my sister and she is a t shirt and jeans person.  

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Have you dined in Coastal Kitchen for dinner?  I just booked a suite on the Allure for my sister and she is a t shirt and jeans person.  

You are requested to wear cruise casual, whatever that actually means nowadays.  We have seen and have worn jeans, nice golf shorts, and more casual attire to Coastal Kitchen even to dinner.  Those were usually on embarkation or late port nights.  We usually do slacks and golf shirt or blouse.  I've seen everything in CK recently.    

• Like 1

17 hours ago, baelor said:

Go ahead and explain to to me, since I am obviously an uncultured rube, why I should not be able to go to a steakhouse and enjoy an $185 A5 Wagyu filet from the Kagoshima Prefecture in shorts.  

Spoiler alert:  I did.

Plain and simple, you dressed inappropriately.  Royal has guidelines for dress, following the guidelines would be the proper thing to do. You disrespect the establishment as well as other guests when your actions are self indulgent.  So sad there are so many who cannot follow simple tasks. 

• Like 6

We were in CK last month and we saw everything: some people dressed up, some people were more smart casual, others were dressed down. No one cared (that I could tell) and we were in there for 3 meals on several days. Same goes for specialty restaurants.

Things I "care about" when observing other people is their kindness to the servers/staff and not having a show/sports playing on their phone for all to hear during a meal (and yep THAT happened). Wearing flip flops? You do you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Plain and simple, you dressed inappropriately.  Royal has guidelines for dress, following the guidelines would be the proper thing to do. You disrespect the establishment as well as other guests when your actions are self indulgent.  So sad there are so many who cannot follow simple tasks. 

Please point to the Royal rule I am breaking.  Not suggestion, rule.  Royal is more than welcome to promulgate rules and hold cruisers to them.  I would gladly adhere.

Edited by baelor

7 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

As a frequent cruiser, I have never experienced guests that are showing off in such gutter clothing like tankshirts and flip-flops in CK on formal nights. Is this rude and selfish behavior isolated to US departures? Does it come along with people who cruise once in 10 years in a suite and do not understand common social behavior?

4 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Is this rude and selfish behavior isolated to US departures? Does it come along with people who cruise once in 10 years in a suite and do not understand common social behavior?

The ugly American stereotype does have some foundation in some circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1