Medication - Airport security & cruise security checks

LVinTennessee

I prefer to bring meds (mostly vitamins and supplements) in a Sun-Sat pill sorter.  This will save a lot of packing space plus some bottles are glass so I don’t want to bring them. I also want to bring some “just in case” over the counter meds - like Pepto, allergy, ibuprofen. Again, to save space, I would prefer to just bring a few and not the whole bottle. Will this be a problem with security - either at the airport or for the cruise?

No. Regardless of what others say, you won't have any problems.   1000's people do it everyday.  The TSA is looking for weapons and implements of destruction,  not your Boniva.  You might want to photograph your prescriptions on your phone in case your trip is unexpectedly prolonged or if you lose you pill case. 

Edited by joeyancho
Add content

Vitamins & supplements are OTC meds, really no different from Tylenol or pepto.  Take them any way you want.  Prescription medication should be in original containers ESPECIALLY if they are controlled substances.  Many will say not necessary but do you want to take the chance some officious type confiscates your prescription meds?

I have taken all kinds of different supplements (vitamins/minerals), migraine medication, sinus medicine, etc. in pill and powder form in sandwich baggies, pill sorters, pill bottles, etc. and NEVER had TSA question a thing. If I was taking prescribed medication I would carry in the original packaging from my pharmacy.

Edited by JennyB1977

1 minute ago, Diver2014 said:

I had a large bottle of Pepto Bismal taken from me at the airport once.   Small bottles are okay (I think it's 3 oz) but they take any liquid that is over the limit, no matter what it is.  Same with mouthwash. 

3 ounces or less liquids in CARRY ONS had been the rule since like 2006.  This is repeated ad nauseum as you stand in the TSA line.  If you have large bottles, bag them well & put them in your checked bag.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, poocher said:

3 ounces or less liquids in CARRY ONS had been the rule since like 2006.  This is repeated ad nauseum as you stand in the TSA line.  If you have large bottles, bag them well & put them in your checked bag.  

If I'm already standing in the TSA line, it's too late to put in my checked bag.  

• Haha 2

It's against the law to take Schedule 2 drugs in anything but their original container. No one cares about the rest, use your pill organizer if that's the way you usually do it. My husband uses plastic bags for his extras, I prefer to use old bottles. I've never been asked about any of my containers. 

From the source:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/can-you-pack-your-meds-pill-case-and-more-questions-answered#:~:text=You can bring your medication,that you need immediate access.

[quote]

• TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.[/quote]
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

I had a large bottle of Pepto Bismal taken from me at the airport once.   Small bottles are okay (I think it's 3 oz) but they take any liquid that is over the limit, no matter what it is.  Same with mouthwash. 

3 hours ago, poocher said:

TSA's limit is (1) 1-quart bag per passenger with containers no larger than 3.4 fluid ounces.  The bag has to be taken out of your carry-on for separate screening unless you have Precheck or CLEAR or your carry-on is going through one the new scanners where 3-1-1 bags and large electronic devices don't have to be taken out.

There is an exemption for medically necessary liquids larger than 3.4 fluid ounces.  They don't have to be in a clear quart plastic bag but do have to be declared separately.  https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures?field_disability_type=1011

One could possibly get away with Pepto larger than 3.4 fluid ounces but it seems like I've seen it in for sale inside the secure area in just about every airport, so TSA could argue that if they were to take it and/or if they were just on a power trip like they seem to be sometimes.

Taking a bottle larger than that allowed by TSA rules is not a power trip, it’s following the rules.  If you want liquid OTCs in your carry on, either purchase smaller sizes or put them in the travel bottles available in Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens.  I take a travel size with me and have the larger quantity in my checked bag.

• Like 1

OP - I presume your questions concern bringing meds on domestic flights and everyone has provided you useful information.

But anyone on international flights needs to confirm what meds for personal use are allowed and disallowed to be taken into the country you are entering and under what conditions (need to declare it or not, storage requirements, prescription info, etc). Ignorance is no excuse.  For example, Japan is very strict and even some common over the counter medicines (sudafed for example) are not allowed to be brought into the country (but you can buy it in local stores).

We are leaving next month for Australia and New Zealand and posters on the Australia and New Zealand Cruisers board suggested reading their countries' official guidance (https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/medicines-and-substances and https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/travel-to-and-from-nz/travelling-to-nz/medicines/).  As visitors to their countries, we are now prepared to follow their requirements.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

It's against the law to take Schedule 2 drugs in anything but their original container. 

That’s not true.  I don’t know what every state says, but there is no federal law requiring original container. The law only says you must carry proof of prescription. 

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are many discussions about carrying meds when traveling on this "disabled travel" section of CruiseCritic:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/?

And there are lots of "opinions".

The "opinions" may or may not be satisfactory, depending upon requirements of travel vendors or the laws of specific countries.

GC

18 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

It's against the law to take Schedule 2 drugs in anything but their original container. No one cares about the rest, use your pill organizer if that's the way you usually do it. My husband uses plastic bags for his extras, I prefer to use old bottles. I've never been asked about any of my containers. 

Let's divide the discussion between domestic and foreign travel/flights.  Taking Sched 2 drugs on a domestic trip is generally not an issue although it is always advised to have them in their original container which is labeled with the prescription-related info.  But on foreign trips (especially when flying) just having possession of many Sched 2 drugs can get you in big trouble (including prison).  In fact, there are many countries that simply prohibit Sched 2 drugs (and even some drugs that are not Sched 2)

The best advice for those using these products is to carefully check-out the rules for each country that you will visit.  

• Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 7:22 PM, c-leg5 said:

Is this for a US cruise?

I always carry an extra 2 weeks at least and generally a month, depends on your comfort level.

That seems like overkill. 

On 2/12/2023 at 7:32 PM, Diver2014 said:

Medically necessary liquids over 100 ml can be taken through security as long as they are declared before the inspection. 

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

That seems like overkill. 

Possibly but was certainly useful when stuck overseas on a couple of occasions. Could I have managed without? - sure, but it saved me the hassle of having to deal with securing further supplies. 

As I clearly stated, depends on your comfort level and where your travels taKe you. My supplies remain replenished in my travel bag.YMMV.

I don’t consider 2 weeks overkill and if I am taking a bottle with 2 weeks supply not difficult to put 4 weeks in there. 

Edited by c-leg5

12 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Possibly but was certainly useful when stuck overseas on a couple of occasions. Could I have managed without? - sure, but it saved me the hassle of having to deal with securing further supplies. 

As I clearly stated, depends on your comfort level and where your travels taKe you. My supplies remain replenished in my travel bag.YMMV.

We do approximately the same.

"How many" extra depends upon how critical each med is, and whether it would be difficult to replace if overseas.

It doesn't add much weight to add extra pills in each little prescripton ziploc.

And we also keep the "travel meds" bag up to date, ready to go...

GC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aquahound said:

That’s not true.  I don’t know what every state says, but there is no federal law requiring original container. The law only says you must carry proof of prescription. 

Guess the people who issued my DEA license gave me the wrong information. The original container is proof of prescription. Because of the risk of diversion, the law was changed to only send schedule 2 prescriptions electronically. One outlying clinic I worked at had to get a special exemption to be able to write schedule 2's in the special script pad, but we could only write for 3 days supply. And one of the caveats, since many of our patients were from away, was that we had instruct them verbally and in writing that they were to carry the meds on their original containers. 

Edited by MommaBear55

9 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I don’t consider 2 weeks overkill and if I am taking a bottle with 2 weeks supply not difficult to put 4 weeks in there. 

Especially when the container is the size of a 7 oz can of soda and the pills are baby aspirin😎

• Haha 1