Live From the Royal 2/25 with B2B through 3/12

Cruise Raider

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Cruise Raider was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hi all…. Heading out to the pier from the San Francisco Bay Area in about an hour or so.  I understand our cruise(s) is at full capacity.  It was requested that I start this thread to answer any questions people have about the new packages, use of obc, new pricing, new menus, the elite bar swap outs, etc since 2/20.  

Topics I will try to cover, if I get cooperation from the WiFi and this site, will focus on these new policy changes.  However, if there are any other questions you may have about the Royal Princess in particular, please feel free to ask.  I will answer them if I am able.  

We are with a group of friends and we are hoping for a very quick and easy embarkation.  A friend of ours works onboard and he too,d me this morning atht the seas were rough calming back from Hawaii.  I’m not at all surprised.  We’ve had some very unusual weather along the California coast the last couple of months.   It is soooo cold out!  I’m sure there were flights canceled so, not sure how that will impact our capacity or departure time.  
The rain has let up for boarding today, thankfully!  

Will continue from the pier in SF.  
It’s CRUISE DAY!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, if you drink wine can you let us know if the price per glass has increased? We have the Plus package but I’m wondering if I need to upgrade the package to cover increases to the wine prices. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

new pricing, new menus, the elite bar swap outs, etc since 2/20.  

Thank you .... also interested in whether wifi is worth it on the voyage to Hawaii. (Boarding that one June 1st). 

Have a great time!

Taking the Royal to Alaska in May; if you get to any of these questions: 

1) Best indoor scenic viewing spots

2) Free dining establishments besides MDR and buffet (Alfredo's and Trident?)--what's the menu like?

3) Any Children's activities outside of the kids club area, i.e. arcade?

4) Any indoor pool or jacuzzi areas (besides the spa)?

5) Complimentary room service menu

6) How is Medallion working? And WIFI working?

Thanks!

Edited by SuzieQ521

1 minute ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Have a great time!

2) Free dining establishments besides MDR and buffet (Alfredo's and Trident?)--what's the menu like?

Thanks!

Which is why I will never do a live blog ! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Have a great time!

Thanks!

In case those aboard don't get to these, from memory of my two recent cruises on Royal.

1.  Lido (deck 16) has good views from indoors.  Maybe 10 tables in Piazza (deck 5 in Vines and Good Spirits Bar).

2. 3 free venues, Alfredo's has pizza, salad, a few other items, trident: burgers, fries (the one time we got them they were nice and hot), tacos, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches and nearby is slice for a quick poolside pizza option.  For menus, if no one posts them you should be able to google it and get current info, also see link below at #5).

3. Not that I know of but didn't travel with kids so may have missed something.

4. Not that I know of.

5. The menus on this website are pretty similar for most of what you are asking as far as I recall.

Discovery Princess Restaurant Guide With Menus - Eat Sleep Cruise

6.  Medallion generally work pretty well for us. WiFi was usually pretty good but depends on itinerary and usage I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Cruise Raiderthank you.  I am looking forward to tagging along with you.  I already asked you this once somewhere else, but I can’t remember where. If you have time, would you please take photos at the International Café along with the signs so I can see if they have any dairy free items. I recently learned that they do have dairy free items on the Sky Princess and I am hoping that the other ships do too.  Enjoy your cruise and stay warm!  

So, it has been a perfect day onboard.  We got to the pier early and were allowed right in within standing in line outside.  We were checked in immediately and too a seat to wait for boarding to begin.  I would say we boarded shortly after 11:00 AM.  
the ship is at capacity with approximately 3500 passengers but it doesn’t feel crowded in the very least.  
We dropped off our carry on luggage in our room … most rooms were not ready but fortunately, ours was.  We headed back downstairs to check out the new packages and mainly, wines that were included. I couldn’t be more than happy with the wine selection included in the Plus package at Vines.  I took a photo of the wine menu but on my phone and not my iPad so will try to post those at a later date.  I also learned that the MDR, which was open for lunch, also had some decent wine choices but you have to specifically ask or you will be served the Canyon Road.  
While I see no reason to upgrade to the premier package on this sailing, I did notice that the app now has the packages for purchase or for upgrade and you can use your obc to pay for it.  I didn’t want to take it all the way through the process so not entirely sure but it didn’t look like the insurance would be added.  
The wine prices may have gone up by a dollar or two per glass but since the limit was raised on the packages, they now actually don’t incur the additional charge.  So, the wines we used to get that were just a bit over now fit squarely in the plus package.  I’m pretty happy with the selections, whereas on the Diamond last month, they selection was awful.  The prices for a glass of wine at Vines range from about $14 - $20 a glass, with a lot of the premier package wines at about $18 a glass.  The limits are $15 for the plus and $20 for the premier.  

I can’t say how the WiFi will be for Hawaii but so far, it’s decent on this sailing and it is nearly at full capacity.  
The wines at Alfredo’s were listed with the varietal and not brand name and were $10  - $11 a glass.  

It was too cold to go up on deck for sailaway but some friends have a suite so we had a small sailaway on their aft balcony!  It was just perfect.  Looks like they brought the sail away party down to the piazza!  

So far, the menus are exactly the same as the last few times we’ve been on the Royal.  I assumed they were switching up all the menus fleet wide but that’s not what we were seeing.  I’m hoping someone else on the cruise will post photos because we probably won’t be taking photos at the  dinner table.  But, having cruised a lot since the restart, I can only say they are exactly the same as what we’ve seen in the past year and a half.  

I will have to check on the coffee grounds package tomorrow.  I will ask our room steward if we can swap out our mini bar for the coffee package tomorrow.  
we did go to the buffet tonight to look to see what the had and it was Indian food tonight along with a great looking salad bar and some other standard options.  We decided to go get pizza at Alfredo’s and it was a wise decision.  It was perfect!  The buffet looked good, just not in the mood for what they were serving.  
I will also check out their watch selection tomorrow.  

Taking the Royal to Alaska in May; if you get to any of these questions: 

1) Best indoor scenic viewing spots. 
I would have to say Horizon Court as the windows are vast.  

The menus are to my liking. I do not eat any read meat, though.  My DH does and he thinks the meat is pretty good.  We were just beat from a day of excitement that we didn’t eat in the MDR.  

3) Any Children's activities outside of the kids club area, i.e. arcade?

I don’t believe so .. I haven’t seen any kids on this cruise thus far. M

no, not on this ship 

there is a great room service menu on the app with everything from soups and salads, sandwiches, hot food, desserts, etc.  I love it and it is very convenient 

the medallion is working fine and even the WiFi seems to be quite satisfactory.  

We seem to be hitting a lot smoother seas than the previous cruise, our cabin is midship, though and there’s very little movement to be felt.  

My eyes are dropping so will pick this back up tomorrow..  

• Like 3

Thank you so much for the live report, I will sure follow.  I will be on the next sailing (Mar 12 from SFO) on Royal to Hawaii and really looking forward to it.  My question is regarding the price of Thermal Suite 14 Day Pass (The Enclave at Dec 5 Forward, the Lotus Spa and Salon).  Whenever of your convenience, can you check if the cost for the entire 15 day journey is $299 per person?  Do they offer any discount for couples or a special couple's rate?  Thank you so much for all your help!  Have a wonderful trip and smooth sailing to Hawaii!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time out in your holiday for posting the drinks list which I’m sure many were eager to see including me, I think my husband and myself will be very happy with the choices and will stick to our plus package on our up coming cruise on sky . 

• Like 4

Thanks for everything you posted so far. We will be on the March 2 sailing and are quite happy to see what wines will be available in our premier package. This willl be our first Princess cruise. One thing I am uncertain about is where we drop off our luggage when we arrive at the cruise terminal.  We have an early boarding and hope to get settled and have a nice embarkation lunch in the MDR.  Do you know which MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day?

Looking forward to more of your posts.

• Like 1

@HaveDogWillTravel and @Cruise Raiderthank you for the review.  I am curious, on the drinks menu that @HaveDogWillTravel posted, some of the spirits in the "Included with Premier" are under the 15.00 limit, but don't appear on the "Included with Plus".  Curious to know if they would be allowed with the Plus with no surcharge. (I guess at some point they might go up in price, but for now?).

Have a great cruise.

• Like 4

Thank you so much. @Cruise Raider

I am curious if we met before. We’ve been on a lot of cruises. I’d love to meet you next week.

My husband and I have not been assigned our cabin yet. It’s a mini suite, Thank yiu for doing this. @HaveDogWillTravelthank you for drink menus. It looks like some of the plus is higher than $15. Good to know.

Also @Cruise Raideri see you were able to switch to coffee in mini bar. Isn’t specialty coffee already included?

We are bringing a first time cruiser with us.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, orientodyssey said:

Thank you so much for the live report, I will sure follow.  I will be on the next sailing (Mar 12 from SFO) on Royal to Hawaii and really looking forward to it.  My question is regarding the price of Thermal Suite 14 Day Pass (The Enclave at Dec 5 Forward, the Lotus Spa and Salon).  Whenever of your convenience, can you check if the cost for the entire 15 day journey is $299 per person?  Do they offer any discount for couples or a special couple's rate?  Thank you so much for all your help!  Have a wonderful trip and smooth sailing to Hawaii!

This sailing is a 5 night comedy cruise and we are staying on to combine it with a 10 day Mexico sailing.  We are headed to Hawaii on this ship later this month, though.  

I will check out pricing in the spa.