The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 28th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning all!

We woke up to a couple inches of snow and it's coming down heavily -- Karen @luvteachingwe're getting it here in Lake Stevens too.  We could leave our neighborhood and cross the trestle and they may have none -- so I know what you mean.  We're in a convergent zone here.

I've gone to the floral arranging demos on BHBs and enjoyed them.  Chili sounds really good, especially on this snowy day.  No thanks to public sleeping.  I will go so far as to doze on a plane if it's a night time flight, but that's about it.

The quote can be true, the meal sounds very yummy.  I printed out the first recipe (lower carbs as Debbie @dfishsaid).  Tonight we'll be having chicken salad in pita bread and salad though.  That will finish up the rotisserie chicken from a few days ago.  Four meals from a chicken, not bad.

We'll be in Christchurch next year on the Grand Australia.  Maxine @AncientWandererI'm intrigued by your mention of the Botanic Gardens.  You said you took a city bus from Akaroa and it takes an hour each way?  Any other info would be greatly appreciated. 🙂  Is it easy to find where to catch the bus in Akaroa?

February and March seem to be my months to catch up on medical/dental appointments.  After having basically no medical appointments for a year, now I have my eye exam, dental exam, bone density scan, and the Nephrologist appointment all coming up within a couple weeks.  My colonoscopy is due in June, but my doctor agreed with me that the prep is NOT kidney friendly so I declined and chose Cologuard instead.  Now I'm realizing that if something is found, I  don't want the dehydrating colonoscopy  -- oh my. The Cologuard has been ordered, I didn't think about all this until after I got home yesterday.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersI was asleep around 9:30, and woke up a few minutes after 11!!  Was awake until about 2.... So I missed the 3am club last night.  But at least I did get back to sleep.  Kudos to you for exercising today anyway!  I would probably just be a lump all day. 🙂  

@superomaHappy 53rd Anniversary!  

• Like 24

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

It might be good to get your eyes examined tomorrow on your birthday. This way you will be able to see all the candles to blow out; not saying your have a lot of candles to blow out, or you maybe a little older tomorrow; I better stop writing and just say, have a good day tomorrow.

The first cartoon is very funny. When I booked the first Voyage of the Viking cruise years ago someone told me that is you have a window cabin you would be issued an oar when boarding.

Bob it would be a challenge!

image.jpeg.ab95eb99df858508df7d90c9d0a73ea9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 19

23 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We woke up to a couple inches of snow and it's coming down heavily -- Karen @luvteachingwe're getting it here in Lake Stevens too.  We could leave our neighborhood and cross the trestle and they may have none -- so I know what you mean.  We're in a convergent zone here.

I've gone to the floral arranging demos on BHBs and enjoyed them.  Chili sounds really good, especially on this snowy day.  No thanks to public sleeping.  I will go so far as to doze on a plane if it's a night time flight, but that's about it.

The quote can be true, the meal sounds very yummy.  I printed out the first recipe (lower carbs as Debbie @dfishsaid).  Tonight we'll be having chicken salad in pita bread and salad though.  That will finish up the rotisserie chicken from a few days ago.  Four meals from a chicken, not bad.

We'll be in Christchurch next year on the Grand Australia.  Maxine @AncientWandererI'm intrigued by your mention of the Botanic Gardens.  You said you took a city bus from Akaroa and it takes an hour each way?  Any other info would be greatly appreciated. 🙂  Is it easy to find where to catch the bus in Akaroa?

February and March seem to be my months to catch up on medical/dental appointments.  After having basically no medical appointments for a year, now I have my eye exam, dental exam, bone density scan, and the Nephrologist appointment all coming up within a couple weeks.  My colonoscopy is due in June, but my doctor agreed with me that the prep is NOT kidney friendly so I declined and chose Cologuard instead.  Now I'm realizing that if something is found, I  don't want the dehydrating colonoscopy  -- oh my. The Cologuard has been ordered, I didn't think about all this until after I got home yesterday.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersI was asleep around 9:30, and woke up a few minutes after 11!!  Was awake until about 2.... So I missed the 3am club last night.  But at least I did get back to sleep.  Kudos to you for exercising today anyway!  I would probably just be a lump all day. 🙂  

Carolyn, we took a City Line shuttle, but now when I google that, I only see a shuttle starting in the morning from Christchurch -- the opposite direction.  What I have in my journal is that we didn't plan ahead to go there, but then found that Akaroa is quite small and so thought it would be nice to go farther afield.  We quickly found transportation.  In my search today, I did see another company that provides service when cruise ships are in.  You might contact them to see if they will be operating when your ship is in port.

https://www.akaroabus.co.nz/Cruise-Ship-Tours/

A lot of the historic buildings in Christchurch were destroyed, and we noticed that they were sadly being replaced with very nondescript buildings.  BUT...the city also has a lovely river walk and we did have time for the museum, too.  The Antarctica display at the museum is really good, as others have noted.  

Akaroa itself is delightful.  Very French -- super cute.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Tuesday and thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa and F&B ladies as well as all the others who make  this a special place. 

While heavy snows are just north of us today in Maryland looks like a pretty nice day as last night's rains have left and it should be around 50 by the time I leave for the Podiatrist. 

Been to Christchurch a couple of times but primarily to the Antarctic Center.  I know @JazzyV posted pictures of the place last time that would be very much like mine.

Roy

Good luck at the podiatrist today Roy and I hope your pneumonia is responding to your antibiotic treatment.

Graham 

• Like 9

Hi friends! Thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Since my son moved back home, he's become an expert at making chili several different ways. I'm just happy that he's willing to share the cooking responsibilities - LOL!

The fallout from my visit to the ER last November continues. I went to see the pulmonologist today about the results of a chest x-ray that was done in the ER. The good news is that he thinks the x-ray was just a bad job. He did two more in the office, and everything looks fine. Test results were also positive. However, he warned me that when I see the cardiologist next week, the verdict will most likely be that I need a heart valve replacement. If so, I may have to cancel the VoV this year. Sigh.

So, I'll probably be joining the 3 am club, too!

On a brighter note -- the cherry trees here are blooming, and my star magnolia is ready to burst! Lovely, but I'm afraid of what any frost might do to them.....March is only a day away, after all!

Edi 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Carolyn, we took a City Line shuttle, but now when I google that, I only see a shuttle starting in the morning from Christchurch -- the opposite direction.  What I have in my journal is that we didn't plan ahead to go there, but then found that Akaroa is quite small and so thought it would be nice to go farther afield.  We quickly found transportation.  In my search today, I did see another company that provides service when cruise ships are in.  You might contact them to see if they will be operating when your ship is in port.

https://www.akaroabus.co.nz/Cruise-Ship-Tours/

A lot of the historic buildings in Christchurch were destroyed, and we noticed that they were sadly being replaced with very nondescript buildings.  BUT...the city also has a lovely river walk and we did have time for the museum, too.  The Antarctica display at the museum is really good, as others have noted.  

Akaroa itself is delightful.  Very French -- super cute.

Maxine thank you, very much appreciated!  I've added your link to my spreadsheet. 😄

• Like 6

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

I have 2 inches of snow with more falling so am staying put for the moment. I prepped DH yesterday that I might not make it in or I'd be late. The thing is we have snow but in Burlington, which is about 7 miles away, it's green grass and some rain! Mother Nature is having fun with us. 

DH is continuing to do well to come home on Friday. Yesterday he stood at the parallel bars for over two minutes a couple of times so that was good. 

Today I'll get some phone calls made, get the banking things taken care of (payday for my teacher's pension) and maybe bake some cookies. 

Karen

Karen, I'm glad your DH is continuing to improve and be home Friday.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

A couple of photos from Christchurch which I passed through on the way back from the Antarctic Center.  The still (at least until recently) untouched Cathedral ruins:

cathedral2.jpg

And the innovative temporary replacement, using cardboard as the primary structural members:

cardboard.jpg

Roy

Roy, thanks for your pictures.

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Today we did go north of the equator and I think our changed route confused many of us.   The Captain said at 1 am we crossed to 1 degree north in our circuitous route out of Belem.  We are now heading west into the mouth of the Amazon and back below the Equator.  So we will have 3 Equator crossings on this cruise. ⛴️ Nancy 

Nancy, I hope the third time is the charm and you will have the crossing the line ceremony.

7 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Since my son moved back home, he's become an expert at making chili several different ways. I'm just happy that he's willing to share the cooking responsibilities - LOL!

The fallout from my visit to the ER last November continues. I went to see the pulmonologist today about the results of a chest x-ray that was done in the ER. The good news is that he thinks the x-ray was just a bad job. He did two more in the office, and everything looks fine. Test results were also positive. However, he warned me that when I see the cardiologist next week, the verdict will most likely be that I need a heart valve replacement. If so, I may have to cancel the VoV this year. Sigh.

On a brighter note -- the cherry trees here are blooming, and my star magnolia is ready to burst! Lovely, but I'm afraid of what any frost might do to them.....March is only a day away, after all!

Edi 

Edi, I'm glad the chest x-ray was the problem and hope you don't have to have a heart valve replaced.

45 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Carolyn, I hope all your doctor appointments have good results.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! 
@superoma happy 53 anniversary!  
@Seasick Sailor there have been some serious wind advisories in Hawaii. The restaurant I had booked a month ahead called us to cancel, they couldn’t keep some of the food on the plate and then there’s the sand, lol! 
@ger_77 sorry about your DH Dental issues and your computer . We switched to apple many years ago and last year we got a new computer and it was absolutely seamless transfer.   I don’t think I could ever go back,  just a thought.  

well in honour of floral arranging look carefully and you will find a little friend. And I apologize for the upside down, I cannot remember How to turn it.  And I have now joined the one daily club I had wished to decline.  Up from 2:30 until 5 or o dark o’clock, arghh!,

500CF056-D822-4C6E-A89D-8B7D8F4DBE15.jpeg

It was such a lovely photo I hope you don't mind me rotating.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230228_190717.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Edi 

Oh no.

I hope you don't need a heart valve replacement.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!  

The sun is out and it is 40F here, so some of yesterday's snow is melting. That is a good thing.  If we get more, there is no place to put it.

Here is the dining table with all the matching chairs.  Grandma's old kitchen chairs have now been retired.  

IMG_2141.thumb.jpg.06eac8bb0d21cc74b0b28e98066a68f4.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!  I had a mammogram and x-ray appointment this morning that seemed to take forever.  Something I ate in the past few days is wrecking havoc with my stomach and giving me heartburn and stomach aches.  I feel your pain Terri @Cruzin Terri.  I know it wasn't the Cincinnati Chili because it happened after that.  Probably the Wild Wings hamburger and onion rings we had yesterday.  I'm sure my Otezla med isn't helping the issue.  Even though I slept better last night I am exhausted.  Catching up on sleep seems to be a bigger problem after multiple days of bad sleep.  No way I will sleep in public, however I did have to after a very long flight with a very long layover from Europe once.

7 hours ago, superoma said:

Quick post- if we were in Florida we would be having dinner at the Columbia restaurant, either in Tampa, the original one or at sand key in Clearwater. It was our favourite restaurant and we have had our anniversary dinner there for many years, last in feb 2020. Tonight I will make a leg  of lamb roast, gravy, German dumplings, parsnips and carrots and a green salad to celebrate 53 years. Our friends who are usually in Clearwater with us will join us at our table and they are bringing dessert. Have a great day everyone. I just can’t stay away from this thread!

5DC22614-8064-4501-967E-6BABAC9F9C8E.jpeg

Happy Anniversary!!

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

No problem sleeping here. Just woke up and enjoying my first cup of coffee and reading the Daily. Watching weather report last night and we had around 16 days in February that had record high temperatures. Maybe another one today as we are already at seventy degrees Fahrenheit.

At some point I need to take some time out from  my tremendously busy schedule to get a haircut. If I could just wean myself off from perusing Cruise Critic I could possibly find some time.

Tomorrow is my annual optometry appointment and I have no clue why I scheduled it on what will be my birthday? We have two large Maine lobsters ordered which will be my celebration dinner. I do think tomorrow’s optometry appointment will show it’s time for cataracts to be removed. 
Thanks for all the reports and post. Have a great day.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.25dda4bef157d17e6ef707d65325be12.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c23cf1de3abc4d399a21f2e3b432da1c.jpegimage.jpeg.31d7c778b8436cd933e3227363c2ae6b.jpegimage.jpeg.637b2add7318716d330371358b4dbbd4.jpegimage.jpeg.e9fc6e50b916569bfe3a75972b984532.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34fd9e261de9117ea9c50cdc0dc40688.jpeg

OMG Bruce!  the cartoon of the man with the nurse and the stick is so Craig!  I forwarded it on to him and he groaned.

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning all,  

I am sort to say I joined the 3 AM club. I tend to do that especially before a trip. I plan on public sleeping today if only for a short time in the plane. I will leave after tax appointment today. I will need a distraction after working on my DH and DS final returns. 
Have a blessed day 

Safe Travels!

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

We had lots of rain during the night and now have a beautiful morning. I’m not ready to celebrate Flower Arranging Day yet. That will come in a few weeks. Today is another flower production day. The goal is a dozen anthurium. These are for our Mucha themed tea the end of next month.

4D2AA939-53A2-427C-96EA-E6485706164F.thumb.jpeg.57e94d98e63883ca62471540fde8f082.jpeg

Your flowers are beautiful!

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, we on the K are still on Oahu. I made mention yesterday the forecast in Kauai has high winds and bad weather and not safe to bring our ship into the small harbor. So Captain (Frits Carsjens) made the decision to cancel the port. 

Also wanted to mention my sweet husband takes these gummies that help him relax. They are OLLY extra strength SLEEP.  

We had some busy days here in OAHU and don't think we will do much in the way of more sightseeing. 

Prayers lifted. Thanks to our faithful ladies for posting. God bless you!

Joy, Craig takes those same gummies and really likes them.  He still has trouble with waking up but I still think he sleeps better than me.  I've tried them and they don't seem to work for me.  I use Benedryl which seems to help and even my PCP recommended.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Back from the Podiatrist with no earth shaking revelations.  He did make some suggestions for self care and wants to see me again in 2 weeks.  He did think the swelling looked a bit better than last week and has suggested elevation, epsom soaks, and probably a change from cream antibiotic to liquid or spray.

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon!  

The sun is out and it is 40F here, so some of yesterday's snow is melting. That is a good thing.  If we get more, there is no place to put it.

Here is the dining table with all the matching chairs.  Grandma's old kitchen chairs have now been retired.  

Very nice Debbie.

Graham.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Back from the Podiatrist with no earth shaking revelations.  He did make some suggestions for self care and wants to see me again in 2 weeks.  He did think the swelling looked a bit better than last week and has suggested elevation, epsom soaks, and probably a change from cream antibiotic to liquid or spray.

Roy

Roy @rafinmd.

Just a thought but if you took a daily photo of your foot you might be able to accurately see any changes and it might help your podiatrist too.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 6

49 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Glad to hear you’re being followed. Was this caused from your fall?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon!  I had a mammogram and x-ray appointment this morning that seemed to take forever.  Something I ate in the past few days is wrecking havoc with my stomach and giving me heartburn and stomach aches.  I feel your pain Terri @Cruzin Terri.  I know it wasn't the Cincinnati Chili because it happened after that.  Probably the Wild Wings hamburger and onion rings we had yesterday.  I'm sure my Otezla med isn't helping the issue.  Even though I slept better last night I am exhausted.  Catching up on sleep seems to be a bigger problem after multiple days of bad sleep.  No way I will sleep in public, however I did have to after a very long flight with a very long layover from Europe once.

Happy Anniversary!!

OMG Bruce!  the cartoon of the man with the nurse and the stick is so Craig!  I forwarded it on to him and he groaned.

Safe Travels!

Your flowers are beautiful!

Joy, Craig takes those same gummies and really likes them.  He still has trouble with waking up but I still think he sleeps better than me.  I've tried them and they don't seem to work for me.  I use Benedryl which seems to help and even my PCP recommended.

Have a great day everyone!

I hope you are feeling better quickly Sharon from the stomach pains and heartburn you have this morning.

Hopefully a few antacid tablets will help.

Graham.

• Like 5

Well, this turned out to be an even busier day than I anticipated.  I arrived at the doctor's office (where the lab was) 10 minutes before opening and I was 4th in line to get in.  It took about 20 to 25 minutes for them to get to me.  Unfortunately, for the first time ever my excellent veins weren't cooperating.  She wasn't getting enough blood to fill the tubes so she had to stick me in each arm!  We decided it was because I had drunk only about 8 oz. of water beforehand and my exercise may have caused me to be dehyrdrated.  I take an 8 oz. bottle of water down to the treadmill each morning, then eat breakfast which usually has O.J. and milk included.  Next time I go to get blood drawn I will drink a lot more water even if I haven't exercised beforehand.  I've never had to have both arms stuck to get all the blood needed and don't intend to repeat that!

Following the lab we went to Kroger for groceries and gas, and headed home where I was able to have a snack of yogurt and banana along with lots to drink.  Feeling refreshed I decided to go to the gym for some weight resistance, so I walked the short distance there and back.  Unfortunately with our temps in the high 70's today, that wasn't as much fun as 6 or 7 am walking!  It was hot!🥵  And yes, I had water with me. After lunch we decided we needed some items from Sam's Club so drove there and got the items plus some meats.  Then it was nap time!  I did get a little sleep at that point though right in the middle I woke myself up with some of my chronic coughing.  So here I am finally trying to catch up on the Daily!  I shall return later with more posting once I see what everyone else did today.

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well, this turned out to be an even busier day than I anticipated.  I arrived at the doctor's office (where the lab was) 10 minutes before opening and I was 4th in line to get in.  It took about 20 to 25 minutes for them to get to me.  Unfortunately, for the first time ever my excellent veins weren't cooperating.  She wasn't getting enough blood to fill the tubes so she had to stick me in each arm!  We decided it was because I had drunk only about 8 oz. of water beforehand and my exercise may have caused me to be dehyrdrated.  I take an 8 oz. bottle of water down to the treadmill each morning, then eat breakfast which usually has O.J. and milk included.  Next time I go to get blood drawn I will drink a lot more water even if I haven't exercised beforehand.  I've never had to have both arms stuck to get all the blood needed and don't intend to repeat that!

Following the lab we went to Kroger for groceries and gas, and headed home where I was able to have a snack of yogurt and banana along with lots to drink.  Feeling refreshed I decided to go to the gym for some weight resistance, so I walked the short distance there and back.  Unfortunately with our temps in the high 70's today, that wasn't as much fun as 6 or 7 am walking!  It was hot!🥵  And yes, I had water with me. After lunch we decided we needed some items from Sam's Club so drove there and got the items plus some meats.  Then it was nap time!  I did get a little sleep at that point though right in the middle I woke myself up with some of my chronic coughing.  So here I am finally trying to catch up on the Daily!  I shall return later with more posting once I see what everyone else did today.

Hint. Being the Editor of the Daily is a high pressure job. You need another relaxing, quiet cruise and lot’s of 🍷.😊

• Like 11
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon everyone. I have not posted for awhile as I have not felt well but I have been reading everyday. Prayers for those who need them, whether they know they need them or not and shout outs for those who we can celebrate. I am an animal lover, particularly cats and I cried for all the fur babies that have crossed the rainbow bridge recently.

This has not been a good month for me and I am very thankful that it is almost done. I have been to the cardiology office 3 times this month, seen by 3 different PA's, had 2 blood draws, a Sinus CT Scan, a Chest  Enhanced CT Scan, a lower extremity arterial US, and a  lower extremity vein US. Tomorrow I will have a Chemical Nuclear Stress Test and that will finish the testing at least until I go back to the PA for results on March 15. Of course every test was scheduled for a different day. So far I have only been notified of the results of one blood test which indicated congestive heart failure. After getting 4 new Rx I am breathing easier, the swelling in my legs and feet has gone down and the fatigue is not as bad. Before I return to cardiology I will see my pulmonologist on March 6 and gastro-enterologist on March 7. I will finally been seen by my newly assigned Cardiologist on March 28th. (My previous cardiologist left the practice in June).  Ok, rant over.

Thank you to all who have posted photos of today's and of all the daily destinations.  The meal today looks so good and the wine sounds great.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 13

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon!  

Very nice.

• Like 6