The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 7th, 2023

36 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@grapau27 I see you noticed that I posted your video over on the Crystal Forum.  The tradition there is that there was not a lot of hype on sailaways when we left a port but "What A Wonderful World" was always played over the PA system as we left a port, so it is very special to Crystal cruisers.

Roy

Thank you Roy @rafinmd.

I get a notification on my phone from cruise critic every time I am quoted, mentioned or posts liked etc.

That's nice the song is very special to Crystal cruisers and I'm pleased you were able to share it with your friends.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We visited Saint John, NB, on October 5 and October 17, 2004, on b2bs from NYC on the old Regal Princess.  

I didn't take too many pictures, but I did find a few.  Our first visit, we toured the town, and the second visit we rented a car and drove east along the coast of the Bay of Fundy.

These are some pictures from our day in Saint John. 

This is the Founding of New Brunswick Cross Monument in King's Square.

IMG_3744.thumb.JPG.f386b9fe2963a7b01e654645b0f2dc6d.JPG

St. John's Anglican Church, which is often referred  to as the stone church, built in 1823-26.

IMG_3745.thumb.JPG.d55280c908a0f39effc0423f3e3cc6f4.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3756.thumb.JPG.2c01270c54c6306db715695058fb9af4.JPG

These are from our drive east of town.

IMG_3904.thumb.JPG.0f6417c1b2fa54e6ca31252eb7693086.JPG

IMG_3905.thumb.JPG.f3443172a864f203b48ff4b2d4d0c858.JPG

IMG_3906.thumb.JPG.81417a129a5d55af60fc424294eb595a.JPG

The remainder of the pictures are of the reversing river taken both days we were in Saint John.  It was going out the first day and coming in the second.  The ones from October  5.

IMG_3751.thumb.JPG.46db37bfa31308951ebaa0c667df105d.JPG

IMG_3754.thumb.JPG.b578ce75cce500668e6ed6a1dab4af52.JPG

From October 17 when the weather was not nearly as good.

IMG_3897.thumb.JPG.8876e3446b2a1575d50383cd2f093ac0.JPG

IMG_3902.thumb.JPG.1c724b19837ee0b0b552d0516cbc0c5a.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I loved my visit to Saint John, NB last October. My friends and I wandered around town to see the sights, and on the way back we wanted to get a bit of lunch. Because it was a Sunday, most of the restaurants on the way back to the ship were packed. Finally we stopped at one & after a short wait, we were seated along with a nice couple from Montreal.

Amazing as it seems, we had been in Canada for almost two weeks, and I still hadn't tried poutine! This was my last chance. They had a full size dinner portion on the menu, but we wanted something smaller. After explaining the problem to our server, she went back to the kitchen, talked to the chef, and reappeared with a smaller plate of poutine -- on the house! Another example of the kindness of Canadians!

BTW - I loved it! My friends, not so much. Ah well -more for me!!

• Like 14

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I love popcorn, but like it plain with butter.  I’m a purist.  Beavers are cute, but can be very destructive. While I prefer wine at home, I do drink beer while on holidays, just to keep up the tradition!

I missed yesterday because of our travels. We arrived safely at our family’s home close to the dinner hour.  They had just placed an order for our favourite curries: mango chicken, butter chicken, and shrimp curry.  It was accompanied by lots of fresh naan bread and coconut rice. It was delicious!

We all had a sleep in this morning, and just got back from having delicious Japanese soufflé pancakes.  Not quite as good as the ones we’ve had in Japan, but a reasonable substitute.  Now it’s rest and relax for a bit (@as much as you can with a 3 year old in the house), then it will be time to prep dinner.  Tonight we’ll have panko crusted salmon, Parmesan baked potatoes and Caesar salad.  And wine.  And a ton of grandchild hugs. 

Wishing everyone a blessed Good Friday and Passover.  @marshhawkthinking of you with good wishes for todays test.

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers for all the celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

My post from December 15, 2022:

We were just in Saint John, NB (not to confused with St. John’s, Newfoundland) just two months ago. We took a trolley tour to the reversing rapids. The pictures don’t do it justice. 

D846D77B-CF81-4CBE-8EA5-358532F05835.thumb.jpeg.79f3609347b2981a953d70e8cf52e97b.jpeg

3B7E5344-EAFF-48E3-9E77-74A735D6F0B2.thumb.jpeg.1a2be05223b8c4b70aa66cd8bf5f461e.jpeg

And also the City Market that Jacqui @kazu mentioned.  However, it was closed, I don’t remember why but it was a Sunday.  Some vendors opened up just for the tourists. It’s huge inside. We saw Debbie @dfish and Carolyn & Henry @Cruising-along there but they were on a different tour. 

A2941CA0-DDC5-44C8-B30C-2D94A7B088EE.thumb.jpeg.957eaf61e08b9cafa4ba3fbee65833db.jpeg

243DE260-6EB6-4D50-BDD9-527DE8B85E7F.thumb.jpeg.745da79937fe9dc9ba3d662087780cfe.jpeg

If we ever go back I’d like to take the tour Debbie did from the other side. They were able to walk on the riverbed. Refresh my memory if I’m wrong Debbie. 😉

You are remembering correctly, Sharon.  The tour I did was Walk on the Ocean Floor out of Halifax.  It was a bus ride up to Burntcoat point and when the tide is out you can walk down onto the ocean floor.  You can go out quite far, but you need to keep an eye on the tide as it comes in quickly.  It was a phenomenal experience and I'm doing it again with Sister Sue this summer.  

• Like 14

Well, I know very little about the game but it appears Solar and FC Dallas tied 1 to 1 in regulation and since this is the semifinals, had to do penalty kicks.  From what little I do know Ren was in the first half as right wing, not his favorite position.  However he is the player who kicked in their only goal!  Someone else's attempt bounced off the cross bar and he was in the right place at the right time.  That was right at the beginning of the game.  At halftime DS texted Ren's position and how the goal was scored.  Then after halftime I know little except Solar scored 1 goal.  The game ended tied like I said and then some penalty kicks occurred.  The other team must have gotten one in.  Ren is a great penalty kicker so I wonder if he was even picked to try to kick one?  This coach may not train his players on penalty kicks as much as Ren's old coach, Scotsman Barry.  We are very disappointed of course, but that's the way it goes I guess.  Maxine @AncientWanderer I hope your DH isn't too down about it.  FC Dallas did win 4 games in a row with NO points scored against them.  I wish Ren had been in the center position today and then possibly things might have worked out better.  At least in my mind.

Well, back home to the Jaguars he goes for a few weeks.  There's always another soccer game!

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well, I know very little about the game but it appears Solar and FC Dallas tied 1 to 1 in regulation and since this is the semifinals, had to do penalty kicks.  From what little I do know Ren was in the first half as right wing, not his favorite position.  However he is the player who kicked in their only goal!  Someone else's attempt bounced off the cross bar and he was in the right place at the right time.  That was right at the beginning of the game.  At halftime DS texted Ren's position and how the goal was scored.  Then after halftime I know little except Solar scored 1 goal.  The game ended tied like I said and then some penalty kicks occurred.  The other team must have gotten one in.  Ren is a great penalty kicker so I wonder if he was even picked to try to kick one?  This coach may not train his players on penalty kicks as much as Ren's old coach, Scotsman Barry.  We are very disappointed of course, but that's the way it goes I guess.  Maxine @AncientWanderer I hope your DH isn't too down about it.  FC Dallas did win 4 games in a row with NO points scored against them.  I wish Ren had been in the center position today and then possibly things might have worked out better.  At least in my mind.

Well, back home to the Jaguars he goes for a few weeks.  There's always another soccer game!

Disappointing way to end it.  I guess they don't play overtime at that tournament.

That "sudden death" business is very anticlimactic.

But...Ren played well, and all the scouts are out at Dallas Cup, so onward and upward for Ren!  👍

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers When I've watched World Cup games with BFF, we always ranted about the penalty kicks being the way a winner was crowned after a tie game. Just doesn't seem right, but that's the way it is. Congrats anyway to Ren for his good showing!

@ger_77 I'm glad you arrived safely. Enjoy those grandchild hugs!

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks for the recommendation, Sharon. Problem is, I've worn tennis shoes for so long, I'm not sure what size I need. I have some nice black flats already, but when I tried them on before my cancelled November cruise, they were tight and uncomfortable. I'll try them on again, but I think I need to do some in-person fitting at a store.

I totally understand!  I have very short narrow feet and have always had troubles finding shoes. When I found these it was a godsend. But you have to know your size for sure!

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Maureen.

To copy from here on your mobile phone (I use Android) just press on the video and the download video message shows.

Click on download and it will go into your phone's photo albums for you.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230407_181153_com.android.chrome.jpg

Graham, I tried doing that but couldn’t save it or share it. Might be because I have an iPhone. Not sure. 

34 minutes ago, dfish said:

You are remembering correctly, Sharon.  The tour I did was Walk on the Ocean Floor out of Halifax.  It was a bus ride up to Burntcoat point and when the tide is out you can walk down onto the ocean floor.  You can go out quite far, but you need to keep an eye on the tide as it comes in quickly.  It was a phenomenal experience and I'm doing it again with Sister Sue this summer.  

How fun!  I wish I was going with you, your pictures were amazing. 

• Like 9

@Sharon in AZ  I have an iPhone and couldn’t figure out how to copy it.  I went to YouTube and searched  “Easter It’s a Wonderful World”. Hopefully this link will work for you.  @grapau27 Thanks for sharing it with Us

Happy Easter: It’s a Wonderful World

Busy day, preparations for cooking Easter dinner for my family.  Sending everyone wishes for peace, love and happiness.

• Like 9

For dinner tonight I'm making what would be a shepherd's pie or cottage pie if I had used lamb or beef, but it's with turkey, and I added tomatoes to the vegetables and sauteed onion to the potatoes (the meat mixture has shallots). Ending up with what seemed like every pot and utensil in the kitchen dirty, although it's really not that bad, was an unwelcome surprise, and it took me about ten minutes to remember how to assemble the food mill. Some of the second bottle of Pinot Noir from last night is left to drink with it.

Suddenly, today, Wegmans had both Passover cookies and kosher chicken, both of which were conspicuously absent before. I texted the synagogue's kitchen manager to ask if any cookies were needed; she replied that she had tonight and tomorrow taken care of with leftover cake from the second seder, but needed cookies for the last day of Passover next week.

The missing dishcloth has not turned up.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I totally understand!  I have very short narrow feet and have always had troubles finding shoes. When I found these it was a godsend. But you have to know your size for sure!

Graham, I tried doing that but couldn’t save it or share it. Might be because I have an iPhone. Not sure. 

How fun!  I wish I was going with you, your pictures were amazing. 

Hi Sharon.

Try pressing the 3 horizontal dots on the bottom right of the video.

Then press Download.

It should go into your phone's photo albums, mine goes into downloads as well as video album.

You can then share to WhatsApp,emails etc

Graham.

Screenshot_20230407_231952_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230407_232058_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

Good evening, it was a pleasant day here today!  Finally the sun was out!  I'll take the beer, and I like caramel corn.  We have a small local business here that makes the best Kettle Corn, lots of different flavors.  

@luvteachingGood to hear that your DH is feeling better.  @StLouisCruiserssorry to hear about the loss, but it sounds like Ren is doing great! 

The Rotterdam looks great leaving New York!  

Have a great night and a great Saturday!  K

0.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

@Sharon in AZ  I have an iPhone and couldn’t figure out how to copy it.  I went to YouTube and searched  “Easter It’s a Wonderful World”. Hopefully this link will work for you.  @grapau27 Thanks for sharing it with Us

Busy day, preparations for cooking Easter dinner for my family.  Sending everyone wishes for peace, love and happiness.

Perfect. Thank you so much. I shared it with an artist friend!
 m—

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Great look as Rotterdam approached Lady Liberty from New York Harbor Ship Cam, Waterfront Museum, Brooklyn NY

image.thumb.png.0ff564821ed9a5b649b9a149403d10f6.png

One of the great Sail-Aways all cruisers should experience at least once. Plus we always get up early to experience the city in lights.

• Like 6

Good evening.  We didn't get any rain today, and I'm not holding out hope of getting any in the next couple of days.   It reac

hed about 59F this afternoon, but with less wind, ot wasn't too bad walking.

I may not be cooking much the next few days since I cooked a lot the last two nights.  We have a lot of leftovers. Last night, I made lasagna and tonight I roasted a chicken with mashed potatoes and asparagus on the side.

6 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon everyone I made it home at  2AM. I was up by 7 to get to PT. It was a long day but others had even longer days from the stories I heard at the airport. Lots of cancellations due to crew issues. I will be right as rain by tomorrow. I have muscle memory from sleepless nights for the past 30 years. I do feel like I was on call last night. 

Have a great Weekend everyone. We will coloring Easter eggs tonight. 

I'm glad you made it home safely, and I hope you get some rest tonight.

7 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning on this beautiful Good Friday!   We enjoyed St. John New Brunswick many years ago, thanks for the lovely photos!  

We live near a very large urban park with a lot of beavers 

image.thumb.jpeg.3ab4083396deabaa76e9c3215dd7c3e7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3b14f94d0842b866366d5c85de05e7d7.jpeg
image.jpeg.f1a97da4247aff3fa6a2d657cc493454.jpeg

0D7A03BF-A765-460D-A035-A9F55F08D41F.jpeg

image.jpeg

Brenda, thank you for the beaver pictures. 🦫  They are interesting animals.

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon,  I have the Port of New York open hoping the Rotterdam departs on time.  Not the same as Port Everglades but some nice views are possible.  
https://www.portnywebcam.com

Jake, thanks for posting the link.  It was a very interesting sailaway.

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, I'm sorry Ren's team lost.  The tie breaker system doesn't seem fair.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I love popcorn, but like it plain with butter.  I’m a purist.  Beavers are cute, but can be very destructive. While I prefer wine at home, I do drink beer while on holidays, just to keep up the tradition!

I missed yesterday because of our travels. We arrived safely at our family’s home close to the dinner hour.  They had just placed an order for our favourite curries: mango chicken, butter chicken, and shrimp curry.  It was accompanied by lots of fresh naan bread and coconut rice. It was delicious!

We all had a sleep in this morning, and just got back from having delicious Japanese soufflé pancakes.  Not quite as good as the ones we’ve had in Japan, but a reasonable substitute.  Now it’s rest and relax for a bit (@as much as you can with a 3 year old in the house), then it will be time to prep dinner.  Tonight we’ll have panko crusted salmon, Parmesan baked potatoes and Caesar salad.  And wine.  And a ton of grandchild hugs. 

Wishing everyone a blessed Good Friday and Passover.  @marshhawkthinking of you with good wishes for todays test.

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers for all the celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, I happy you made it safely at your family's home.  Enjoy your visit and hugs.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thank you for the link Nancy!

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Sharon.

Try pressing the 3 horizontal dots on the bottom right of the video.

Then press Download.

It should go into your phone's photo albums, mine goes into downloads as well as video album.

You can then share to WhatsApp,emails etc

Graham.

Screenshot_20230407_231952_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230407_232058_com.android.chrome.jpg

Sorry Graham but I tried that and it didn’t work. Nancy @0106 shared the link so I was able to share it with my family. Not really sure why, maybe it’s an iPhone thing. I really do appreciate you posting it, such a beautiful video. Our DD was born on Good Friday so I know she loved it too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you for the link Nancy!

Sorry Graham but I tried that and it didn’t work. Nancy @0106 shared the link so I was able to share it with my family. Not really sure why, maybe it’s an iPhone thing. I really do appreciate you posting it, such a beautiful video. Our DD was born on Good Friday so I know she loved it too. 

Happy birthday to your Dear Daughter Sharon.

happy-birthday-puppy.gif

• Like 3