The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 14th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for the answer to your time in Portland.  One of the other WC bloggers originally said you would be there two nights, but things are rapidly changing due to weather conditions I suppose.  Will you be visiting Bruges while in Rotterdam or exploring near the ship?

Thanks for letting me know Halfacts has been updated to show your latest schedule.  👍

I'm envious seeing a balcony cabin for Covid quarantining!  Last year on Island Princess they thought it was a great idea to take us from our balcony cabin to an oceanview (for up to 10 days in DH's case).  What ship and month was this?

Hoping once you get home you have enough time to prepare properly for Pat's surgery on May 5.  Have a great day!

This was last September on Nieuw Amsterdam.  The balcony had a metal railing, not glass, so it wasn’t quite as nice as our regular one, but it meant I could go out for fresh air and to chat with fellow prisoners!  Pat went ashore on his own, and didn’t take pictures as it was raining.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and it's Friday!  Usually it would be a trip out for a late lunch or happy hour at our local restaurant with great HO food but since we are on diets it frees me up to do yardwork until 3PM. Yesterday we had dinner on the back deck.   It will be low 80s here today and near that at our cabin in the UP.  That means snow is melting quickly in the woods and our road can dry out.  We will be heading there around May 15.   

Thanks for starting us off each day Sandi and Rich.   I have never looked at the "fine print" on the world cruise map but it was nice to see all the wonderful European ports they will be visiting.   We would have to have a major life change (no cabin) to be able to do that length of time away from home.  

@summer slope, @cat shepard and @dfish thank you for starting us off each day.   Arctic Char tacos sound great but I never see that fish in the markets.   The vino looks good, I love wine from the Friuli region.   Pass on the hot cocktail.  @JazzyV I hope your doctor visit gets you something to help your knee.   To all of our group trying to get to FLL for the Volendam I hope you are able to get in today.  

I have been working on the plants for my garden club plant sale and with the heat we have had and leaving them in a sunny spot all winter they are as far along as they usually are the first of May.  Yesterday I moved them all so we could get all the collected leaves under them and clean the concrete.  There are more plants and bigger.  They were heavy and it was a real effort to move the last few.   Have a wonderful Friday hopefully full of wonderful spring weather.  Nancy 

• Like 24

Thanks for our Friday Daily, Sandi.

Good collection of days.  I’ll pass on the ex spouse day since I don’t have one 😉 Moments of laughter & enjoying the sky are to be enjoyed as much as possible.

Love the Andress quote.  The meal sounds yummy and the wine?  It’s white 🙂 

At my neighbours the other day and enjoyed her ducks that are often visiting her.  You often see them on her lawn since she is so close to the Nature Trail and the stream (not to mention the fact that she feeds them 😉)

0BEDEA90-9D77-44D1-9CF1-705B31470A64.thumb.jpeg.5280cda43a9767f9cdecc72eecff1dc2.jpeg

@TiogaCruiserSo glad you have air tags for your tumultuous trip.  Best of luck travelling to you and @Sharon in AZ @AV8rix & @Dismomx5

Thinking too of @JazzyV and wishing her the best for her Ortho visit.

My heavens, Rich @richwmn you are so efficient having HALFacts updated already!

1794F5C4-DDA2-4B8E-B04E-55AD3A277931.jpeg.cb8ccda8bfbedde03efda5476d25a08a.jpeg

I can’t believe how warm some parts of Ontario were yesterday!  We’re nowhere near there - at least not yet.

Waiting to see if it warms up enough to start to “toughen” up my begonias.  Probably too soon for that 😔 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

7384A272-27C9-4577-9076-603E62837A42.jpeg.28a192102ca9a1a27928e5dbadf3e6dc.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Good morning,

I hope everyone and their luggage make it to the ship. I am nervous for them. After my recent air travel snafus. I am glad I built in extra days before my next two cruises. 

I am heartbroken today. My best friends son died last night. He was the first friend my late son made when we moved to Kansas. He had recent leg surgery and most likely had a blood clot. It is just so awful. if I am silent for a few days you know why. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 22

Good morning, everyone!

It is shaping up to be a hot day here in mid-Michigan with plenty of sunshine.  My neighborhood walk will be pleasant due to nice weather.  The only other things on the agenda are a much needed haircut and taking brother Jeff to the grocery store.  Then, relax!

The Arctic char is closely related to both salmon and lake trout, and has many characteristics of both. The fish is highly variable in colour, depending on the time of year and the environmental conditions of the lake where it lives. No other freshwater fish is found as far north; it is, for instance, the only fish species in Lake Hazen which extend up to 81°56′N 68°55′W on Ellesmere Island in the Canadian Arctic. It is one of the rarest fish species in Great Britain and Ireland, found mainly in deep, cold, glacial lakes, and is at risk there from acidification. In other parts of its range, such as the Nordic countries, it is much more common, and is fished extensively. In Siberia, it is known as golets and it has been introduced in lakes where it sometimes threatens less hardy endemic species, such as the small-mouth char and the long-finned char in Elgygytgyn Lake.  The flesh is fine-flaked and medium firm. The color is between light pink and deep red, and the taste is like something between trout and salmon.

I only found one recipe for arctic char tostadas.  There were numerous pages of recipes, but they were all pretty much the same one.  If you can't find arctic char, you can substitute another fish.  Since it is related to salmon and trout, one of them might be good.  We often have grouper in our fish tacos.  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/arctic-char-tostadas

arcticchartostadas1.jpg.f43d312d48f83da6a2fbe4335f59221e.jpg

Tostadas are generally flat and made on crispy corn tortillas.  Tacos can be made in crispy corn tortillas, but are generally soft and folded and can be made in flour tortillas.  But, since they are so closely related, I included a recipe for arctic char tacos.  You can easily turn it into a tostada if you'd prefer.   https://pumpkinandpeanutbutter.com/2019/03/12/15-minute-fish-tacos/

arcticchartostadas2.thumb.jpg.2e12b3ecbb7e8d1449d56f22fd16287c.jpg

Fingers crossed that all the Dailyites heading to FLL for the Volendam make it today.  As someone else noted, it was heartwarming to see all the help and advice being given by Dailyites to @TiogaCruiser

Fingers are also crossed for @JazzyV Vanessa concerning her knee. Let's hope all is well and there is an easy fix so she is in tip top shape for her cruise.  

Warm thoughts and hugs out to @luvteaching and hoping that her DH has a rapid recovery and is home shortly.

@atexsix Bruno, let me join the other Dailyites who have commented on the wonderful care you are giving your DD.  Bless you!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Both  air tags report they are in Denver.

I hope they are enjoying their vacation. I plan to purchase a second Air Tag before my fall cruise, since I will check two bags on the outbound flight.

• Like 14
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I hope everyone and their luggage make it to the ship. I am nervous for them. After my recent air travel snafus. I am glad I built in extra days before my next two cruises. 

I am heartbroken today. My best friends son died last night. He was the first friend my late son made when we moved to Kansas. He had recent leg surgery and most likely had a blood clot. It is just so awful. if I am silent for a few days you know why. 

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am at a loss for words, but do know that my heart goes out to you and your friend.  

• Like 21

6 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I am also without words and so very sorry to hear this. My condolences to all involved.

• Like 20

11 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

How sad. Condolences to you and your friend. 

• Like 19

13 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I am so very sorry to hear this 😢 So sad for your best friend and you 💔 My deepest condolences and prayers for him, his family & especially your BF and you 🙏🏻 

• Like 18

16 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

Lorraine, I am adding our condolences to those of others on the loss of your friend's son.  We are very sorry this happened and are sending our thoughts to you, your BFF, her family and her son's friends.  Take all the time you need to help her and to deal with your emotions, too.

Lenda

• Like 19

18 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

So sorry.

Graham.

libby.gif

• Like 17

28 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

My sad condolences on the loss of your best friend's son, who was so close to your own late son.  I cannot even imagine losing my son or daughter.  Prayers for all who knew him.🙏

• Like 18

@cruising sister so sorry to hear about your friend's son.  Our children's best friends are family to us, please accept my sympathies on your loss.

I hope that all the travelers make it to FLL to take their cruises on time and with their luggage.  The weather should be decent from now on. 

Jazzy you can take me off of the care list since my recovery will be a long haul but I am doing much better and had my first full night of sleep last night, what a bonus.

It seems like the weather is playing havoc all over the world- I saw that there is huge typhoon headed to Australia.  Weather in Europe as we have seen has been wild, and here in Fl, FLL got 26 inches of rain in the last storm. In Palm Beach County we got rain but nothing close to what occurred due south of us. 

Vanessa I hope your doctor visit goes well today. @marshhawk I hope your test comes back fine so you can head to Alaska and have a great time.

Debbie

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Set our clocks back last night so we are now on Denver time. Pacific is smooth and a little hazy as we sail toward our next port of call in Costa Rica.

It was an enjoyable transit yesterday with a pretty dramatic vista of Panama City as we sailed away.

Last night we dined in Nami Sushi which was very good and a good deal as it’s half cost prices for five stars. After dinner we went to the Showroom and were entertained by the Billboard duel piano players who were excellent, the Step One Dancers and the lead female singer of BB King. Best show we have seen in quite awhile in Showroom. They had all combined their talents and created an excellent production. Can’t say so much for tonight’s comedian @RedneckBob you could do better. After enduring his act for 45 minutes the other night he got one hee hee from us.

Today we are invited to a Mariners Loyalty Ceremony.

So far this has been a very enjoyable cruise. Received my pants back from Ships Tailor and besides a nice tip we used the Navigator App “Tell us about it” feature to thank him.. The crew love this and we usually get thank you’s back from when they see their names and kudos on what we call their “Wall Of Fame.” Your comments are posted at one of their work info boards and also management extends kudos. It also works when DW posted a question about where did the French Press coffee go. Within one minute Pinnacle Grill Manager was at our table with explanation and HD and Food and Beverage Manager responded. So if a crew member does something above and beyond or just does excellent work use the Navigator App to pass on your appreciation.

Time to get ready for breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

I respect my ex wife as she gave us an excellent son. I have forgiven her but honor? No way!

Thanks to all who keep the Daily going. Not celebrating TGIF as the days are going to quickly. Do hope all with travel woes make it to the ship time.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.5b18200e1fc1bff5782afafe94c6a2ea.jpegimage.jpeg.bab2a76bd697bd027838a054ba5a80c2.jpegimage.jpeg.099a92aacf113e5ee7d6a21b303df686.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e97653583eb49480ed2814f66e370375.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.842551dbbfd85b13b7294a6069301d0a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9b4f80c948f006c1e893dcd342c8199e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ef52ca40945434f1e9442ec3efdbc9fb.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 16
  • Haha 18

37 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

Lorraine

I am so sorry to read this. Praying that you and his family have wonderful memories that will eventually help ease the pain. 

Ann

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a cloudy, windy day in central Texas. it is currently about 60F and will be about 78F this afternoon.  This will be quick as I need to head to W-M this morning, and I want to get it done early.

We will not be celebrating ex spouse day.  Laughter is very important every day, and we look up in the sky often.

An interesting quote by Ursula Andress.

Artic char is good, but I'm not a fan of fish tostadas or tacos.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice.

@TiogaCruiser  Laura, wishing you the best as you head to Florida today.  I hope your luggage makes it there too.  Glad you have air tags to track the bags.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, hoping for the best possible outcome today at the doctors.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad your second cataract surgery is scheduled.

@Sharon in AZ Sharon, @AV8rix Susan, and @Dismomx5  I hope your travels to FLL go smoothly and that you have a great cruise.

We have been to Prince Rupert on a ship, but not on a BHB.  We arrived there on the Alaska Marine Highway ferry Matanuska in August 2011.  It was very early on a rainy morning, and I only have one picture as we approached the ferry terminal.

P1030735.thumb.JPG.6a3ffefd053d8f6e7a0ef1c1e4749d51.JPG

The Matanuska in two ports.  The first is in Haines, AK, where we boarded.

P1030660.thumb.JPG.ae35f59d5a92602512cd3362256eebd8.JPG

P1030715.thumb.JPG.878cd4acc58bbadc9ac4d1c132e87884.JPG

Our cabin which was spacious but spartan.  We had two huge windows overlooking the deck where the crew went to smoke and relax.

P1030694.thumb.JPG.ed074ff3c6d37a5482f6696177fd516c.JPG

P1030695.thumb.JPG.81f5fcf756d036092d2476593feb5473.JPG

Their version of the Crow's Nest.  People who did not have cabins slept there too.

P1030667.thumb.JPG.ad6f06b9f17c1be8431192b0490dbd74.JPG

P1030668.thumb.JPG.ef26b57c064f0a92209fe948884e53c8.JPG

The Lido, but it's not included in the "cruise" fair.

P1030731.thumb.JPG.e0d97be9ff7030748afbe97e092c70aa.JPG

P1030730.thumb.JPG.29251cfed7a856cec28cfe7d6a5acbf0.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

@cruising sisterSorry to hear about your son’s best friend.

@kazu As mentioned the two Chef’s dinner are $69.00 per person. Saw yesterday the David Burke was $89.00. Sarah the Pinnacle Grill Manager had no idea about the $100.00 dollar Chefs dinner with Dom Perignon. Probably being offered only on special 150 year Anniversary cruises?

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Set our clocks back last night so we are now on Denver time. Pacific is smooth and a little hazy as we sail toward our next port of call in Costa Rica.

It was an enjoyable transit yesterday with a pretty dramatic vista of Panama City as we sailed away.

Last night we dined in Nami Sushi which was very good and a good deal as it’s half cost prices for five stars. After dinner we went to the Showroom and were entertained by the Billboard duel piano players who were excellent, the Step One Dancers and the lead female singer of BB King. Best show we have seen in quite awhile in Showroom. They had all combined their talents and created an excellent production. Can’t say so much for tonight’s comedian @RedneckBob you could do better. After enduring his act for 45 minutes the other night he got one hee hee from us.

Today we are invited to a Mariners Loyalty Ceremony.

So far this has been a very enjoyable cruise. Received my pants back from Ships Tailor and besides a nice tip we used the Navigator App “Tell us about it” feature to thank him.. The crew love this and we usually get thank you’s back from when they see their names and kudos on what we call their “Wall Of Fame.” Your comments are posted at one of their work info boards and also management extends kudos. It also works when DW posted a question about where did the French Press coffee go. Within one minute Pinnacle Grill Manager was at our table with explanation and HD and Food and Beverage Manager responded. So if a crew member does something above and beyond or just does excellent work use the Navigator App to pass on your appreciation.

Time to get ready for breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

I respect my ex wife as she gave us an excellent son. I have forgiven her but honor? No way!

Thanks to all who keep the Daily going. Not celebrating TGIF as the days are going to quickly. Do hope all with travel woes make it to the ship time.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.5b18200e1fc1bff5782afafe94c6a2ea.jpegimage.jpeg.bab2a76bd697bd027838a054ba5a80c2.jpegimage.jpeg.099a92aacf113e5ee7d6a21b303df686.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e97653583eb49480ed2814f66e370375.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.842551dbbfd85b13b7294a6069301d0a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9b4f80c948f006c1e893dcd342c8199e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ef52ca40945434f1e9442ec3efdbc9fb.jpeg

See if you could sell the comedian some of my material. Split 60/60!

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!

@cruising sisterI am so sorry for this current heartbreak for you , and your best friend.

@JazzyVI hope all goes well at your appointment today.

@ger_77I hope you are feeling better, and the throat is not as painful today.

And to all who are heading out on a cruise, with the wacky weather-I just saw the most recent update on Ft. Lauderdale's rain.  The average rain amount for the month of April is 3 inches, not 20+ inches in 7 hours. The ground being porous sucked it up until it could not any more, so more rain on top of that has no where to go.  Stay safe!

th?id=OIP.ZYpu6FwNA7_lxRZ2Uj49TgHaLG&pid=Api&P=0

I am going to Prince Rupert, will be there on the18th of May.  My plan is to wander around the port area, where there is a garden, and then wander down to a coffee shop, and if I'm lucky, one of the food trucks will be open, and I can get a  plate of fish and chips.  I looked on line to research what restaurants were good, and McDonalds came in 8th.  The food trucks came in 2nd. I'm sure though that the country side and harbor scenes will feed my soul.

Arctic char is always at our farmers market, but while @dfishsays it is a flacky fish, in the display area it looks as hard as a rock.  DH has been curious, but now that I know the flavor?  I'm going to try it.  I hope it bakes well.  ex spouse # 2 supported my ability to fish, and trout is one of my favorite meals.  But I agree with @StLouisCruisers they are ex's for a reason.  I do check obituaries once in a while, ex #1 is now deceased.  The thing that these two had in common, was that they talked their new honey into signing my name to paperwork to obtain things that they wanted, #1 it was a new house on a lake in North Georgia, #2 forged checks all over town.  I  celebrate leaving them every day.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of being told what an idiot I was by a patron regarding my new campaign.  He was right, and it was something that i had pointed out to my boss earlier in the day. If you want me to ask for money, tell me what I am asking for, why is this a non profit, when all the information makes it sound like the patron pays for private concierge services.  The boss did send me something, and I did tell the man what we did, "why didn't i start out with that information"  "you stink at this job"  any way this man babbled on for so long, for all his hatred towards telemarketers, all begging at the same time.....I get it.  It's true, when telemarketers cant sell subscriptions, we ask for money.  Any way he wanted a name and number of who he could contact to be able to sell his advertising marketing items to, and I got a number, and called him back.  1-he was amazed that i actually called him back with information, 2- i gave him an idea on how to sell to the Lincoln Center, and 3-I can call him back before the cut off date and ask again for a donation.  But after 2o minutes of this man berating me, i was wiped out. Even though we both ended up with a resolution.

I was supposed to go to a noon concert today, but am opting out for lunch out, walk dog, and chill out until I work again this evening.  I noticed that The Birds was on Netflix, and as I have been thinking about this movie for a while, I watched it again.  It had been years, and I think I never really saw the ending, so when it was over, I looked at DH and said, well that was a waste of time.....glad I didn't buy it for my Hitchcock collection.  I think that he made the film because he had something for Tippi Hedron, and she was beautiful, but I liked her better in Marnie.

Have a great day all!

• Like 22

Good morning all.  Should be a great day here weather wise in SE PA.  Prayers for all in need.  Happy to see the rain has stopped in Florida.

Yesterday was interesting.  Repair men here to repair a toilet, a dishwasher and an ice maker.  When did appliances less than four years old start to need repairs?Frustrating!

Quiet day here.  Going to start knitting wool socks for DS and me for our Greenland trip in September.  It will be cold!

Have a great day, everyone.  Katherine 

• Like 23