Foods to avoided - to prevent illness

Cruisin'4Us

All right, I'll chime in.  We avoid drinks with ice in certain ports unless we trust that they use purified water. We also avoid salads and other items that are rinsed with local water.  We thought we were safe until DH got sick from what we suspect was a contaminated cut lime in a beer.  It hit him a few hours after we left port.  He was pretty miserable for a couple of days. He was mildly sick for several weeks after that.  He only improved with 3 weeks of antibiotics.  While we are tempted to try local foods, we are very cautious now. 

• Thanks 1

welp there is an Irish place in Disney Springs that made me awful sick and it took me almost 4 hours before I felt good enough to get on a bus back to hotel.

but on ships, almost never as I do the sniff test.  Your nose won't lie most of the time.

Plus I ask others I see as to how they like it.

Dont think its so much the food as it is who touched the food. I cant pinpoint a particular food that may have caused a problem for me. In general the food is most likely pretty safe. Giardia however is one thing that can be anywhere that serves food. Some experience no symptoms and others mild to severe. I use napkins to handle utensils in buffet on the ship or any restaurant that has a buffet. I stay with cooked food. Napkins arent foolproof as I stated it could be who has handled the food.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The reality is few really know what caused an illness.  One might think it was seafood that tasted odd when in reality it was a piece of lettuce that tasted normal.  Others might get one of many viruses (aka stomach bugs) that cause gastrointestinal illness, but attribute the sickness to something they ate.  It is almost always a guessing game and there can be a big lag between the cause and the consequences.  This makes it even harder to pin it down.  Typically it takes an outbreak of many people for them to know it was a certain food.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

welp there is an Irish place in Disney Springs that made me awful sick and it took me almost 4 hours before I felt good enough to get on a bus back to hotel.

but on ships, almost never as I do the sniff test.  Your nose won't lie most of the time.

Plus I ask others I see as to how they like it.

I don’t think anything could get you sick that fast unless it was some type of poison to the body like bleach.  Probably something you consumed from a day or two prior.  

I'm the OP.  No ulterior motives with this question.  We enjoy cruising, as you can see from my signature.  Thank you for the helpful responses.

I did not want to influence any responses by listing our suspicion as to what made us feel ill for abut a day and a half on our Grandeur cruise.  We agree that it is difficult, if not impossible, to pin down the cause.  That said, we did have the Escargot, and that is what we thought may have made us ill.  We have eaten it on other cruises with no problems.

We were also interested in learning about other foods to look out for.  Thanks again!

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

20 hours ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

What foods do you avoid eating when cruising because you suspect the food may have made you feel ill in the past.  When I say ill, I mean either requiring medical attention or disrupting your cruise for a half day or more.

For this thread, please don't include foods that you are allergic to, or foods that you just didn't care for.  Food that was spoiled is fine to list.

I am gluten free.On a cruise several years ago I decided to eat regular food and became quite sick.On the next cruise I again eating food I should not be eating and once again became sick.On all subsequent cruises I have only eaten GF food