The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 23rd, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm so glad my lover is still with me, I occasionally enjoy an english muffin, and although I enjoy a picnic, we still have glaciers in the parks, so will have to wait for another day later in the year to do so. 

Every morning I turn on the computer, load up FB, CC, and the PE webcam - what a surprise to see a submarine coming into port!  Now that I know it's Fleet Week, it certainly makes sense.  I'm usually up right around 6AM, but this morning I totally slept in and didn't roll out of bed until 8:10; I think I finally caught up on the naps I was missing when our friends were with us.  They called us when they arrived home to say they were greeted with about 100 robins in their yard who were - as they put it - cleaning up after the deer.  Apparently their singing was quite the sound!

593,720 Happy Birthday Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free ...

to @marshhawk and @cunnorl with many happy, healthy returns of the day!

The sun is shining which means some of the glaciers will continue to melt, but it also means it might be warm enough on the deck to start cleaning it up after using it as a winter storage place.  It will be nice to be able to have lunches and dinners out there again; it's been a long winter.

I do like today's menu suggestion as an appetizer (spinach artichoke dip with corn chips), but not sure about having it on mac and cheese.  Sounds very filling, and rich.  I'm not having to cook dinner this evening as DH's daughter has invited us over for a pre-birthday dinner for DH who will celebrate his 82nd on Tuesday.  Not sure what she's preparing, but she's a great cook, so it whatever it is will be delicious. We'll enjoy a lovely meal around their dinner table tonight.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 27

Good morning from a very wet central Texas.  It is currently 48F but feels like 44F with our north wind.  The predicted high will be 54F.   What happened to spring?  I had to dig out a pair of jeans this morning.  DH had me dig out a long sleeved t-shirt, but is being brave and wearing shorts.  The rain started with a lot of very loud thunder just before 5 a.m.  I went back to sleep until 8:30 so I'm late today.  So far, we've received 0.83 inch of rain, and it's still raining.

Lover's day will be celebrated here.  I like English muffins and picnics are fun, but not today.

The quote sounds like Thomas A. Edison.  I read recently we are really just a three pound brain, and the body is there to support the brain.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds good, but not at that price plus shipping.

We have not been Alotau, Papua New Guinea.  We have been to Rabul on New Brittan Island, which is part of PNG.  @StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for sharing your pictures of today's port.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, congratulations to Ten and his team on another win.

@superoma  Eva, the lists look good, and thank you for taking over for Vanessa @JazzyV.

@MISTER 67  Thank you for letting us know about the USS Cole arriving in PEV.

@smitty34877  Terry, I can't imagine how scary and stressful the oxygen generators malfunctioning was for the entire family, and it must have been even more so for Tana.  I'm glad hospice was going after the supply company too.  I hope everyone is resting and recovering today.

@kazu  Jacqui, it sounds like you got a lot accomplished yesterday.  Sorry about the bad headache.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, enjoy your concerts this week.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the information about Father David's pilgrimage.

@dfish  Debbie, I know that saying no to her son was extremely hard for Sue, but necessary.  I hope her son finds his way soon.  I also hope Sue's move next weekend goes smoothly.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, it is good you will be there for your friend today, and I know it will be a difficult day for you too.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm glad the block party was fun.  Thanks for the pictures of the turtle nest.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope you get to go out for a birthday breakfast.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, if there is still any doubt about the bp meter, your DH can take it to the doctor's office and have it calibrated with their machine.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I also saw where BB&B was filing for bankruptcy.  After the way I was very rudely treated last fall and because they will not help when a shipment goes missing, I will not set foot in one of their stores even for the best bargain ever.  They said once a package is shipped it is out of their hands, and would not help.  I feel about BB&B  the way you feel about Wayfair.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

For the garden club. Hurricane Irma took out my big avocado tree. I planted 2 last year and I have a little one!  Also, my Meyer lemon tree is growing great. 

553D30A8-ACF5-43FC-BE7A-FA578B457C86.jpeg

C9E7C8A0-7337-4E2E-83C9-16A0F6A3BFC1.jpeg

What a shame 😔 Glad you have a baby growing 🙂 

2 hours ago, dfish said:

It is hard for Sue to watch this, but nothing she can do to change it.  He has to do that.  Hopefully, he will decide he wants to make that change soon.  

I am so sad for Sue.  That’s so hard when someone you love can’t be helped.  I am so glad she is standing firm 👍 and even more glad she is moving in with you 🙂 

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Today is the celebration of life for my friends son. It will be very difficult but I will be there for her. 

Bless you supporting her at this difficult time ♥️ You will both be in my thoughts today 🙏🏻 

51 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Best of luck to @kazu and her new charge. I hope you are successful and things go better than your last dog. Did you ever hear anything back?

Thanks.  It will be few days before Ivan is here.  I am being very cautious - not getting burned again.  I heard on Shadow at the beginning but not after.  I don’t think I’m in the rescue agency’s good books (nor are they in mine).

12 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I'm not having to cook dinner this evening as DH's daughter has invited us over for a pre-birthday dinner for

DH who will celebrate his 82nd on Tuesday. 

Hope you have a lovely time  and an early happy birthday to your wonderful DH.  🙂 

B374150D-5344-4E53-8120-A7C9683F56C8.jpeg.17b0dd1115e103e91bafd9163e043833.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Sunday from the lovely Volendam. We are at sea today. The MDR is having a Sunday brunch. I had seen them on the WC blogs and I believe Nancy @ottahand7 mentioned on on her GSA so I was hoping they would be fleet wide. 

8DBF50E4-A9E0-4178-9E1F-D21B4AC1368E.thumb.jpeg.57ba1eea97f0282dbf58bfe7da01f31f.jpeg

55F65560-A6E3-422A-8E50-23F10BC74842.thumb.jpeg.767059a81f84f668b743cada364a85a9.jpeg
Yesterday late afternoon and evening I had internet problems and didn’t realize that I need to reconnect to the internet through the app when that happens. So I need to go back and catch up on yesterday’s Daily and Laura’s @TiogaCruiser PC thread. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone, 

I've been reading here morning and evening but not posting as I'm tired at the end of the day! The drive each way is starting to wear on me. It's 100 miles round trip and about 2 hours depending on traffic. I took a day off on Thursday for my mental health and that was a good decision. I'll do one day off mid-week this week as well. 

DH continues to be the Love of my Life and my Energizer Bunny. The doctor came in on Wednesday, having not seen him since the previous Friday, and wanted to know who this guy was! Dh is sitting up on the edge of the bed (needing minimal assistance) and then sitting by himself so getting stronger. No transfer to wheelchair yet but we're getting closer. His appetite is good, he's talking a lot and carrying on conversations, and is asking to go home. The doctor has directed the social worker to look for facilities closer to home which would be wonderful but so far nobody has room - darn it! 

Today is raining and not my favorite weather to drive in. DH's sister is driving up from Edmonds for a visit so we'll look forward to seeing her. I hope @Cruising-along had a great time visiting the tulip fields and having lunch at the favorite Italian restaurant. The area traffic for downtown was bad as there was a street fair and, when I was coming home around 4:00 PM, the traffic south was heavy and slow. 

Off to get ready to head out - another day of driving! 

Karen

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!!! Sun to day and high will be in low 60's. Pretty comfortable. The Spring flowers are really bursting forth. Unfortunately none close to my condo since the deer do a number on them. I am waiting on the lilacs.

Yesterday was errand day and I spent most of the day at the shelter. @kazuYou are wise to take your time with Ivan and being sure it is a good fit. I remember Shadow and the difficulties there. It is too bad that some rescues  do not realize that all rescues are not going to be successful and that you have to consider both the person and dog as things move forward. There was one dog we placed 4 times over 5 months before it took.

Our new ED was saying yesterday that she has not cried in years the way she has since she took the job at the shelter. Sometimes grief and frustration, sometimes joy and yesterday was one of latter type days. We had a family come in with their little boy and adopt a puppy. They paid the adoption fee but also donated a fairly substantial amount of goods which they had selected from our wish list. In addition they also gave a large cash donation. The little boy explained to our ED that he had been adopted which is why he paying it forward to the animals. Dad explained that he (the boy) had raised most of the donation money himself cutting grass last summer and doing other odd jobs. Dad had matched a small portion. We all felt a bit weepy as boy, puppy and family left together.

Off to get another load ready for the thrift store tomorrow and also talk to some friends to see  if they want to go out for breakfast this week. Also have a BOD meeting at the shelter Wednesday night. My last regular meeting!!!! Only the annual to go after that.

Take care all.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

@dfish,Debbie,  I feel for Sue and I hope things can improve  with her son.I am glad she will be with you soon.

We went through  rough times with my oldest brother and my Dad and of course with my own struggle  for sobriety. It is quite a process and seems to "take what it takes"  .Prayers for  the family.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  So much news in two pages!  

@smitty34877I kept trying to find out if the problem was resolved yesterday, and I guess it has been, but what a scary day for you all.  You were in my thoughts and prayers.

@grapau27Again, thank you for bringing Father David to us, and I wish him well on his pilgrimage. 

@StLouisCruisers I think it's wonderful you can wake up that early every morning and get the Daily started, but this might be why you are not sleeping well.  Make sure you get nap time!

@0106 The Endurance is one of my favorite books.  And Shackleton is  my hero.

@kochleffelThank you for sharing the story of the unicorn cat.  He is adorable.!  

I was right about that lunch yesterday, that was the meal of the day.  I was still full at dinner time, DH worked until 9, and I played on the computer.  I had a really good sale, all set up for yesterday, and found out that the computer didn't accept debit cards, even if they said Visa on them.  So I have a call back set up for Wednesday, when the woman's personal assistant comes in, and finds the ladies real credit card..

I love English Muffins, and I love them with sausage cheese and egg.  I make that often if we have the muffins.  

Mac and cheese, I loved my mom's mac and cheese, never got her recipe since I was banned from the kitchen after burning up some biscuits.  Never got any recipes from her.

I think I may go on strike today and refuse to cook breakfast.  The only chore today is grocery shopping, and maybe a load of laundry. So maybe DH will take me out for a birthday breakfast.  I can only hope, but now I'm hungry and he is still sound asleep.

My BFF sent me information about my cruise and boarding information, so I guess I best read that, only 10 more days until we leave.  

Thank you for all the good birthday wishes

71Y2%2B5mdnLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

To all of you -

Thankyou-cat.jpg

Thank you Annie.

Father David was moved and so happy when I told him what you said last week.

Graham.

• Like 12

Good morning and thanks all! @Denise T big thanks for all the photos!   Very cool! 
Happy birthday  to Annie @marshhawkand Charlene @cunnorl!  

@smitty34877 I am so sorry to hear about the oxygen, absolutely unconscionable!  

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Hello from Ireland. 😁  I like the sound of all the days, the food and drink.  Happy birthday to Annie and Charlene.  My father knew a lot more times tables than I ever learned because of pounds, shillings and pence, also guineas, and I’m not sure why, but he was very fond of the 14 times table!  Decimalization has made life so much easier… 

The weather here has been very changeable.  One minute the sun is out, the next it is cold and raining.  We are back at the very comfortable International Hotel at Cork airport for a couple of nights before we leave.  I think Pat has had enough driving on the left, I am a nervous wreck, and  the car beeps at him every time he gets close to a bush or anything on the side of these narrow roads.  So he’ll return the car this afternoon, walk back across the parking lot to the hotel, and tomorrow we’ll just take the bus into Cork city.  We had nice visits with friends and family, now we are ready to go home.  

Driving in Ireland is one of the toughest places!  

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

Although I will certainly celebrate Lovers Day, it is also World Book Day.  40A75B2D-5DEB-4314-8B00-D5396CA9360A.webp.1bd1833fb7002e4d0a40fede1b9c12fe.webpI am a reader and will recommend two excellent books for you.96C19037-C4A6-43E6-8DA3-AB9140C8E5F6.jpeg.f74fbe274c42d05a9d624e701a0c4692.jpeg

Elizabeth is a brilliant chemist who is forced to become a TV chef to support her child.  It focuses on women’s struggle for equality in the early 60s.  

I am looking forward to my South America and Antarctica cruise in January so I have recently been reading about the Endurance.  I loved all the photos in this book.2AB3BEF9-6047-4876-9A68-74D623648DD4.jpeg.e669c58c181b843f8e6b683e798517ca.jpeg

9120A39B-2D47-4C9B-8800-6A4AB91D9B64.jpeg.99c038d85bc45d9db5cee7886a51f1bd.jpeg

I love mac & cheese and spinach & artichoke dip.  What a combination; I can’t imagine how many calories are in this dish but would be happy to have a small serving.

Thanks to all the Daily contributors.  Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising. 

Yes, I love to read!  Just finished The Golden son, an interesting story written about a Dr from India training in Texas,  written by a woman born in Canada who lives in the US. Kinda reminds me of the daily! 

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

My friend on the turtle patrol shared some pics of the new Leatherback turtle nest. Not often seen around me, so everyone is very excited. 

9311AA29-7008-4AC3-900B-3196639F52A2.jpeg.cd39645dfb95a5ac10edd5f23118aac7.jpeg

48990CA6-5F96-4F77-A9A2-3ECD614DC5CB.jpeg.713a483e9aedc600daed605beb7bb494.jpeg

How wonderful! 

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Tug boat "water ballet" to welcome the Navy. Fleet Week in Fort Lauderdale leads up to the Fort Lauderdale Air Show next weekend.

PXL_20230423_135638484~2.jpg

PXL_20230423_135518935~2.jpg

Very cool!

18 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning!!! Sun to day and high will be in low 60's. Pretty comfortable. The Spring flowers are really bursting forth. Unfortunately none close to my condo since the deer do a number on them. I am waiting on the lilacs.

Yesterday was errand day and I spent most of the day at the shelter. @kazuYou are wise to take your time with Ivan and being sure it is a good fit. I remember Shadow and the difficulties there. It is too bad that some rescues  do not realize that all rescues are not going to be successful and that you have to consider both the person and dog as things move forward. There was one dog we placed 4 times over 5 months before it took.

Our new ED was saying yesterday that she has not cried in years the way she has since she took the job at the shelter. Sometimes grief and frustration, sometimes joy and yesterday was one of latter type days. We had a family come in with their little boy and adopt a puppy. They paid the adoption fee but also donated a fairly substantial amount of goods which they had selected from our wish list. In addition they also gave a large cash donation. The little boy explained to our ED that he had been adopted which is why he paying it forward to the animals. Dad explained that he (the boy) had raised most of the donation money himself cutting grass last summer and doing other odd jobs. Dad had matched a small portion. We all felt a bit weepy as boy, puppy and family left together.

Off to get another load ready for the thrift store tomorrow and also talk to some friends to see  if they want to go out for breakfast this week. Also have a BOD meeting at the shelter Wednesday night. My last regular meeting!!!! Only the annual to go after that.

Take care all.

Susan

This is a wonderful story!  Our DGD who raised several hundred dollars in grade three for animal rescue lost her pet gecko this week.  She was devastated, but now I’m happy to report she is now the proud caregiver to sibling Guinea pigs.  

Yesterday, we had a surprise visit with my friend who lives several hours away and she brought us a lovely cake! 

IMG_2173.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5

I slept in plus West Coast time so real late this morning. We had a great time on our Salsa Salsa excursion and enjoyed the salsas we made along with guacamole. Dancing the Salsa was a struggle.

Dinner in Pinnacle just didn’t go well and will leave it at that. Did enjoy last night’s male singing group in Showroom.

Need to get another coffee and read the Daily. Thanks for the Report and postings.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.ee2295c8bfa040a1e1b972d258c2ed9f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c7cf66166449456a5ce04b3f01609ee7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b730d7eb5c937b211017b4c1f3a5e7f2.jpegimage.jpeg.a34f63a6778bb29d407261fc5b5b15a6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.484d7cb2c330b54d41af26568be8211d.jpegimage.jpeg.8200ef1dcaa43fd53e01e1110477d001.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 20

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DH has been taking a new blood pressure medication and has been taking his blood pressure here at home for a couple weeks now.  We were talking about his levels and decided to test out the machine on me.  So patient #2 (me!) had 101/74 first try and 103/75 second try.  Sounds about right for me.  It's slightly higher at the doctor's office.  I am not on blood pressure medication, just lucky on the BP issue.

Excellent BP readings Sandi.

I hope your DHs new medication controls his BP.

The machine should also tell you your pulse rates which ideally should be around 60BPM.

Graham.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Sunday from the lovely Volendam. We are at sea today. The MDR is having a Sunday brunch. I had seen them on the WC blogs and I believe Nancy @ottahand7 mentioned on on her GSA so I was hoping they would be fleet wide. 

8DBF50E4-A9E0-4178-9E1F-D21B4AC1368E.thumb.jpeg.57ba1eea97f0282dbf58bfe7da01f31f.jpeg

55F65560-A6E3-422A-8E50-23F10BC74842.thumb.jpeg.767059a81f84f668b743cada364a85a9.jpeg

Oh yum 🙂. I hope it is fleet wide 🤞 We used to have them on the P’dam.

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

I took a day off on Thursday for my mental health and that was a good decision. I'll do one day off mid-week this week as well. 

I am so glad you took a mental health day 👍. Care giving is hard work and you need to take care of yourself.  I hope you do it more than just next week 🤞 

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

DH continues to be the Love of my Life and my Energizer Bunny. The doctor came in on Wednesday, having not seen him since the previous Friday, and wanted to know who this guy was! Dh is sitting up on the edge of the bed (needing minimal assistance) and then sitting by himself so getting stronger. No transfer to wheelchair yet but we're getting closer. His appetite is good, he's talking a lot and carrying on conversations, and is asking to go home. The doctor has directed the social worker to look for facilities closer to home which would be wonderful but so far nobody has room - darn it! 

Excellent new on your DH’s recovery. There just aren’t enough places for those that need them 😔. I hope they can get you on a waitlist and he can be placed sooner than later 🤞 

41 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

@kazuYou are wise to take your time with Ivan and being sure it is a good fit. I remember Shadow and the difficulties there. It is too bad that some rescues  do not realize that all rescues are not going to be successful and that you have to consider both the person and dog as things move forward. There was one dog we placed 4 times over 5 months before it took.

Thanks Susan.  Shadow was a sweet dog.  Had it not been for her nerve and leg damage and pain, she would have stayed.  There was nothing that could be done to help the poor thing.  Anyone who knew dogs and saw her try to walk knew there were serious issues.  I was working with a special spot for disabled dogs (they make different contraptions to give them more stability) to see if they could help her, but the rescue would have none of it and not provide any of her medical records which they needed.  The rescue should never have shipped her to Canada.  I felt for her with those sore legs in the kennel all that time on her long flights 😔  I’m happy to rescue but what that agency did was unconscionable so I’m once bitten twice shy now 😉 

41 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

What an absolutely wonderful, touching story ♥️ 

23 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Our DGD who raised several hundred dollars in grade three for animal rescue lost her pet gecko this week.  She was devastated, but now I’m happy to report she is now the proud caregiver to sibling Guinea pigs.  

Aww - so glad your DGD had new pets 👍 She sounds like she loves animals.  Bless her for helping the rescue at such a young age ♥️ 

23 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Yesterday, we had a surprise visit with my friend who lives several hours away and she brought us a lovely cake! 

IMG_2173.jpeg

Gorgeous cake!  Worthy of your special anniversary.  I bet it tasted as good as it looks 🤞

13 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Dinner in Pinnacle just didn’t go well and will leave it at that.

I’m sorry to hear this, Bruce.  Didn’t you have an issue at another PG?  If I’m right it sounds like someone needs to fix something there badly.  😔 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

It's slowly, finally warming up here, it will be 20-30 degrees warmer by Friday (mid 70's F).  And sunshine after tomorrow.  We did luck out yesterday though, no rain at the tulip fields so we were all happy about that!  And the ground wasn't even wet.  Karen @luvteaching you are so right about the traffic yesterday. I'm so sorry you have to put up with that to visit your DH. Of course I warned DD and DS about the tulip festival traffic on a weekend, but DD's family was still about half an hour late getting to lunch at Il Granaio.  (they also live furthest away).  It took all of us double the time to get there.

Good days today, I'll give DH a kiss and say happy lover's day.  English muffins are ok, but I rarely think to have one.  I do like them with apricot jam.  No picnics here today, it's raining.  I'll pass on the meal (not a fan of mac and cheese), the drink and red wine.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Annie @marshhawk!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Charlene @cunnorl!

Terry @smitty34877I agree with everyone that what happened with the oxygen company was unforgiveable.  I'm so sorry you, Tana and everyone had that added stress.

Lorraine @cruising sister sending hugs today as you attend your friend's son's celebration of life.

Joy @Seasick SailorI read about what happened on that ship (it was a Celebrity ship).  How awful!

Sharon @Sharon in AZ Thanks for posting the menu for the Sunday brunch.  Is there an added charge for that?  I'm hoping we'll have several on our Grand Voyage next year.

Karen @luvteaching I'm glad your DH is doing better and hope you won't have to make that long drive much longer.

Here are a few of my photos from yesterday's visit to the Tulip Festival.  Everyone agreed that we won't be making this a yearly tradition anymore because the traffic on weekends in April is just terrible (and none of them can go during the week).  But we had fun and I loved the whole day.  After being quarantined for several weeks with Covid it was just what I needed.  🙂  

I loved this pattern with Grape Hyacinth and tulips

GrapeHyacinthandtulips.thumb.jpg.1576194783e23b596957d0288545dc57.jpg

Another favorite, I loved these tulips.  This is DGSs with their cousins.

kidsintulips.thumb.jpg.8005595f07c30b1d79139a2b17a791cf.jpg

redtulips.thumb.jpg.b870cfb0d09a7d3cce02a503bfb0e540.jpg

One of the reenactments from the photo taken 6 years ago. They're a lot taller now!

oneofthereenactments.jpg.967da05637d99229e1cf4ba3efe5de50.jpg

• Like 36

@StLouisCruisers mine is always higher at the docs.  I am back to home monitoring again.  Lost control of mine in October, had nose bleeds and at ER was 240/170 and had to change meds but its fine again  

So we are a week out from our Alaska NA cruise and are so excited. In need of a real rest.  Since I'm going away everyone at work is loading me up with meetings and jobs, not to mention home renovations continue and some on the side consulting. 

So wishing everyone a wonderful day, thoughts and prayers to all in need.

• Like 23

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

Thanks! I'm surprised that the neighbors weren't ringing bells and blowing horns for the Cole. Part of our port view is blocked by Sky Harbor, the building where the PEV webcam lives.

I was on the webcam when she was in the channel and there were plenty of horns and whistles from the condos when the Cole sailed by.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Yesterday late afternoon and evening I had internet problems and didn’t realize that I need to reconnect to the internet through the app when that happens. So I need to go back and catch up on yesterday’s Daily and Laura’s @TiogaCruiser PC thread. 

Have a great day everyone!

Yes we had brunches on the Volendam.   We never went except for Rijstaffel that was the same format.   When it started on the Volendam they served you a sampling of the offerings on a single plate. It looks like the hot course is still offered as a sampler.   It is probably much easier on the kitchen and the waiters.  

• Like 18

Good afternoon from somewhere in the Atlantic, heading toward Bermuda.

It’s hard to keep up, so best wishes for anniversaries @bennybear and birthdays @Rowsby @marshhawk @cunnorl and prayers for those with illness @mamaofami’s DH, @smitty34877’s Tana or loss. 

We had a plane delay getting to  FLL, but made it. Our shuttle to the hotel had us standing in the hot sun for an hour, which wasn’t pleasant. Boarding yesterday was smooth, and we enjoyed a private lunch. I waved as we sailed away, but since I had no idea of where we’d be, I didn’t request anything from PTZ. Dinner last night was in the French themed restaurant and we both had beef tenderloin en croute, which was very good. Sorry, no food pics. 

We’re in one of those infinite veranda rooms; not bad, but not like a balcony. It does make the room seem larger. Right now I have the window down, listening to the sound of the water as we sail. There are all day activities going on, but I’m resting today as my knees and back aren’t happy. BFF is off attending a talk. When out and about I’m still masking, particularly on elevators.

Off to catch up on today’s posts. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Good evening.

We had a nice church service this morning.

We sat in the garden this afternoon where it was sunny before it started to rain later.

I hope everyone has a nice day 

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 16

38 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's slowly, finally warming up here, it will be 20-30 degrees warmer by Friday (mid 70's F).  And sunshine after tomorrow.  We did luck out yesterday though, no rain at the tulip fields so we were all happy about that!  And the ground wasn't even wet.  Karen @luvteaching you are so right about the traffic yesterday. I'm so sorry you have to put up with that to visit your DH. Of course I warned DD and DS about the tulip festival traffic on a weekend, but DD's family was still about half an hour late getting to lunch at Il Granaio.  (they also live furthest away).  It took all of us double the time to get there.

Good days today, I'll give DH a kiss and say happy lover's day.  English muffins are ok, but I rarely think to have one.  I do like them with apricot jam.  No picnics here today, it's raining.  I'll pass on the meal (not a fan of mac and cheese), the drink and red wine.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Annie @marshhawk!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Charlene @cunnorl!

Terry @smitty34877I agree with everyone that what happened with the oxygen company was unforgiveable.  I'm so sorry you, Tana and everyone had that added stress.

Lorraine @cruising sister sending hugs today as you attend your friend's son's celebration of life.

Joy @Seasick SailorI read about what happened on that ship (it was a Celebrity ship).  How awful!

Sharon @Sharon in AZ Thanks for posting the menu for the Sunday brunch.  Is there an added charge for that?  I'm hoping we'll have several on our Grand Voyage next year.

Karen @luvteaching I'm glad your DH is doing better and hope you won't have to make that long drive much longer.

Here are a few of my photos from yesterday's visit to the Tulip Festival.  Everyone agreed that we won't be making this a yearly tradition anymore because the traffic on weekends in April is just terrible (and none of them can go during the week).  But we had fun and I loved the whole day.  After being quarantined for several weeks with Covid it was just what I needed.  🙂  

I loved this pattern with Grape Hyacinth and tulips

GrapeHyacinthandtulips.thumb.jpg.1576194783e23b596957d0288545dc57.jpg

Another favorite, I loved these tulips.  This is DGSs with their cousins.

kidsintulips.thumb.jpg.8005595f07c30b1d79139a2b17a791cf.jpg

redtulips.thumb.jpg.b870cfb0d09a7d3cce02a503bfb0e540.jpg

One of the reenactments from the photo taken 6 years ago. They're a lot taller now!

oneofthereenactments.jpg.967da05637d99229e1cf4ba3efe5de50.jpg

No extra charge and I was told no reservations. On the WC blogs I remember it said that you had to make reservations so that might be the case on your GV. 

Your pictures are amazing and I love the reenactment one!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Did anyone read about the law suit regarding a man dying of a heart attack onboard a ship in August. The wife chose to stay onboard with him rather than disembark. He was supposed to be in the morgue but the cooler wasn't working, so he was put in a beverage cooler for 6 days. It's a gruesome story.

I'm a bit mystified about the basis for a suit.  If the opportunity was to embark (I assume at a place with good medical facilities) and the passengers declined to take advantage of it, it seems like the fault lies with them.

It looks like if all goes well you may be boarding Rotterdam as I get off.

Roy

• Like 18

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm a bit mystified about the basis for a suit.  If the opportunity was to embark (I assume at a place with good medical facilities) and the passengers declined to take advantage of it, it seems like the fault lies with them.

I agree, Roy.  Apparently the wife didn't want to do that because she was alone.  For some reason they couldn't use the ship's morgue and the body was put where they keep drinks cool (not cool enough).

Edited to add the news link

https://abc7chicago.com/cruise-ship-celebrity-equinox-decomposed-body-do-ships-have-a-morgue/13170894/ 

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I have to go back and catch up with the posting, but we've been busy watching a live stream of Ren's soccer game in Madison, WI.  DS was in charge of the video and play by play.  Sometimes there would be a bad connection and it would drop, but we saw most of it.  There was a slow start.  Ren didn't start and Colton had to sit out today because of 5 penalties this season.  Ren was put in as a substitute for a player with a muscle pull around 33 minutes into the game.  The Jags were ahead 1 to 0 at the half.  We hurried to eat a sandwich then so we could give all our attention to the second half. 

Ren was assigned to left wing and was intercepting a lot of balls.  One time he intercepted and scored a goal.  Two other players scored goals too including a defender Aiden who rarely scores.  He was psyched!  Aiden scored one yesterday and today too!  Whoo-who!  The Jags won 4 to 0 and it was darn cold again today.  Upper 30's and DS swore he saw snow flakes once! 🥶 Well, that's my sports report for today.  Now DS and Ren drive home from Madison and it's back to work and school tomorrow.😏

• Like 16