Call me a cheerleader if you must

phoenix_dream

13 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Anyone else notice that most of the happy posts are from people in suites or Aqua, and most of the complaining this year has been from Concierge and below?

That may be but doesn't' explain why a  person in a suite or Aqua would find the Buffet acceptable while a person in Concierge and below would not.    When on M and S ships I often order meals from the MDR menu and find them quite good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Anyone else notice that most of the happy posts are from people in suites or Aqua, and most of the complaining this year has been from Concierge and below?

I have read many positive comments concerning the E Class multiple MDR set up.  In fact the most significant disappointment for me while cruising on a the Apex was that I could not order from the MDR menu in Luminae.  

There are a much greater number of non suite cabins, so I would expect most members do not sail in suites.  But the Retreat is certainly a wonderful product.  I find the Retreat experience better than the Regent and Oceania experience.  (Oceania did have outstanding dining).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

There are so many posts these days complaining about just about everything on Celebrity.  I wanted to start one doing the opposite.  I have cruised 17 times since the restart (yes, it's nice to be retired!).  I've sailed nine different ships, including M, S, and E.  I've sailed in various cabins from Aqua Class to suites.  Of all those cruises, I can honestly say only one was a bit subpar with service and food and it was not that bad.  The rest ranged from very good to excellent overall.

I'm not saying everything was perfect, or that there aren't some cutbacks and changes that bother me but overall I would not hesitate to book with Celebrity again if the price is right.  I know prices are very high now and honestly that has caused me to cut back a bit on upcoming bookings, but I think that is an issue with all cruise lines right now, as are some of the other challenges they are facing.  I've adjusted my expectations accordingly.

So how about we have some feedback from those who have had some great sailings in the past few years?  Come on, I know you're out there!

We really LOVED our Reflection cruise through Italy, Greece, and Turkey in July of 2022. Everything was perfect.  Maybe we look at Celebrity though rose colored glasses?  I cannot think of anything that happened to us or stuck out as a negative.  The service, food, entertainment, itineraries, excursions and ship life are always top notch.  Sailed on 4 Celebrity cruises and they've all been great.  Going B2B for the first time this summer.  Equinox 8/5/23-8/13/23. Can't wait. 

Edited by MisterMet

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That may be but doesn't' explain why a  person in a suite or Aqua would find the Buffet acceptable while a person in Concierge and below would not.    When on M and S ships I often order meals from the MDR menu and find them quite good.

C H E R R Y P I C K I N G  T H E  M E N U

It would be because the person in Luminae only has to order from MDR when they find something that they like.  They are cherrypicking the menu.

A cruiser in MDR has to eat there every day.  Therefore their reviews are much much more valuable to others who are eating there every day.

Just stating the obvious.  If I want to know how dining is in Luminae I will ask a suite cruiser and not a MDR cruiser who dined there once or twice.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

When on M and S ships I often order meals from the MDR menu and find them quite good.

Besides what @NMTraveller pointed out, Jim, you have to concede that ordering off the MDR menu is not the same as eating in the MDR. You are receiving Luminae service in a Luminae setting, no doubt specially delivered with more dispatch as suite customers are used to and MDRers are not.

I think your status as a Zenith and as a suite cruiser who regularly books B2B2B or just B2B also gives crew members and supervisors familiarity with you. When you want something, you will likely get it. Do you think that level of attention is given to cruisers spending under $3,000 and only every few years?

I don't begrudge you what you have earned the right to enjoy! I just tend to think that what you describe is still the level of luxury cruising that long-time pax in non-suites say they too used to have, but which has been cut out except in the Retreat.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 8

We are trying X for the first time in September after a disappointing NCL cruise in February.  Our ta found us a great deal and suggested we try X. But it’s funny, in talking to my brother & nephew (who are planning a fall NCL cruise) the things we found “lacking” wouldn’t bother them a bit. 
I read reviews with a very open mind. I do love the relaxation aspect, but for the money charged, I believe we should get good service & food at least slightly better than what I can prepare for myself at home.  We are decent tippers, but I like to see a good level of service before I hand over the first greenbacks. 
With this being our first X cruise (Equinox in a standard veranda room) our only hope is the stuff we found lacking in NCL are present in X. 
We have one dinner reserved at Murano to celebrate our anniversary, but for the rest we’ll try MDR. We are not buffet fans, other than for a fast breakfast on excursion days or for a late afternoon snack.

I’ll submit an honest review on this site when we’re home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We had unrealistic high expectations on our New Year's cruise based on 2 NY cruises in 2011 & 2012. We should have realized both Celebrity and the times have changed. We were at the point where we were ready to cancel our September cruise. Then said, wait a minute, what do we want to do get out of a cruise.  For us, it is relaxation, someone to do housekeeping, cooking, cleaning up, etc. When I'm tired at the end of the day with aches and pains and don't want to cook I know Celebrity will do a better job than me.

We looked back on our 2 other post covid cruises and said, "they were great". So, here we go again in 90 days.

Have things changed, yes but so have things on land. Our favorite restaurant shut down, then their catering/home delivery shut down. Another favorite restaurant drastically changed their menu to the extent it was not recognizable.

Things change, and we have to either adapt or stop cruising with Celebrity.

Right now we are willing to adapt so will board Equinox in 3 months and still have hopes of reaching Zenith..

Don’t cancel your September cruise, we’re on it and if the roll call is anything to go by it will be nowhere near full! 

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious if you have experienced the "decline in food quality" or just going on complaining on the boards.    Personally I have not noticed any decline that would dissuade me from eating in Luninae every night.     Even all the times I visited the buffet I found the quality to that pre-covid.  It may also depend on the ship and the perception of the writer.

👏 

18 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I am the president of the cheerleaders club and have never sailed above Concierge. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

It would be because the person in Luminae only has to order from MDR when they find something that they like.  They are cherrypicking the menu.

A cruiser in MDR has to eat there every day.  Therefore their reviews are much much more valuable to others who are eating there every day.

Just stating the obvious.  If I want to know how dining is in Luminae I will ask a suite cruiser and not a MDR cruiser who dined there once or twice.

Other cruise lines are available, let us know how they compare 😘

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, mayleeman said:

They are hitting their target cruiser. 

46 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Don’t cancel your September cruise, we’re on it and if the roll call is anything to go by it will be nowhere near full! 

I wouldn't count on an inactive roll call meaning a not-full ship. The one for my upcoming cruise is not active at all and yet the sailing is sold out per Celebrity's website.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I wouldn't count on an inactive roll call meaning a not-full ship. The one for my upcoming cruise is not active at all and yet the sailing is sold out per Celebrity's website.

totally agree.  I've been on several cruises recently with stagnant roll calls and full ships.  My opinion is that a lot of people booking cruises this year are new to cruising, and don't even know about Cruise Critic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Besides what @NMTraveller pointed out, Jim, you have to concede that ordering off the MDR menu is not the same as eating in the MDR. You are receiving Luminae service in a Luminae setting, no doubt specially delivered with more dispatch as suite customers are used to and MDRers are not.

I think your status as a Zenith and as a suite cruiser who regularly books B2B2B or just B2B also gives crew members and supervisors familiarity with you. When you want something, you will likely get it. Do you think that level of attention is given to cruisers spending under $3,000 and only every few years?

I don't begrudge you what you have earned the right to enjoy! I just tend to think that what you describe is still the level of luxury cruising that long-time pax in non-suites say they too used to have, but which has been cut out except in the Retreat.

I can't speak for Jim but I can tell you my experience.  I reached Zenith status last year.  I can honestly say that except for being recognized (sometimes) during the Captains Club event as far as treatment goes I see no difference between before Zenith or after Zenith.  I get no more attention now than I did then (and I've cruised several times since).  I also cruise a lot of B2B cruises and yes, once I get to know the waiters and such and treat them well of course they will continue to take good care of us, but they do that on the first leg too!  Have I made some staff "friends" over the years?  Of course, but with all the ships, and all the various positions onboard I might be familiar with one or two or maybe three of them on a particular sailing.  This is especially true since Covid, as many of them quit to go into different occupations.  I have sailed mostly in Aqua Class and last year due to better prices (now long gone) in suites.  Yes, I got more attention in suites than in AQ but I certainly paid for that extra attention.  But as a Zenith or a B2B person, nope, that assumption is incorrect based on my experience at least.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I can't speak for Jim but I can tell you my experience.  I reached Zenith status last year.  I can honestly say that except for being recognized (sometimes) during the Captains Club event as far as treatment goes I see no difference between before Zenith or after Zenith.  I get no more attention now than I did then (and I've cruised several times since).  I also cruise a lot of B2B cruises and yes, once I get to know the waiters and such and treat them well of course they will continue to take good care of us, but they do that on the first leg too!  Have I made some staff "friends" over the years?  Of course, but with all the ships, and all the various positions onboard I might be familiar with one or two or maybe three of them on a particular sailing.  This is especially true since Covid, as many of them quit to go into different occupations.  I have sailed mostly in Aqua Class and last year due to better prices (now long gone) in suites.  Yes, I got more attention in suites than in AQ but I certainly paid for that extra attention.  But as a Zenith or a B2B person, nope, that assumption is incorrect based on my experience at least.  

My experience is quite different. I was a Zenith two months after the program started and we noticed a real difference in treatment by the officers and crew. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

I am the president of the cheerleaders club and have never sailed above Concierge. 

Okay, you win. No one is unhappy because you aren't.  This mass hysteria where people wrongly think they aren't happy must stop!

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

But as a Zenith or a B2B person, nope, that assumption is incorrect based on my experience at least.

I was referring to the onboard recognition of the combo of suite+B2B2B+Zenith. I doubt there is much chance he isn't well-known to the officers and crew.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We have more than twenty Celebrity cruises, but only two since Covid.  We are not suite cruisers and probably never will be.  We choose between balcony and Inside depending on itinerary and price.  We were expecting to be disappointed on our B2B Caribbean and transatlantic on Silhouette, but we were pleasantly surprised.

Admittedly there were differences post Covid, but we had a great time.  The MDR food was fine, we had prime rib once on each cruise.  The only thing we really missed was rack of lamb, but seeing how much our local prices have increased I am not surprised that it wasn't served.

We would not hesitate to sail on Celebrity again and are planning  a fall cruise once we can agree where to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Our experience - we have had a wonderful time on Celebrity in the past 14 months since we returned to cruising.  We sailed on the Mille x 3, Solstice x 3 and the Eclipse (first sailing after covid), mostly longer cruises or B2B. Was there an occasional hiccup - yes. Did it ruin our cruise or feel the need to post it on cruise critic? NO! Looking forward to our upcoming 17 night cruise in October. Before I take a poster seriously I look at their past posts. If all negative - I ignore them. Some criticism are warranted but many -- not worth wasting my time reading. Different strokes for different folks that is why having a choice is a great thing. Constructive criticism is good thing .....complaining is something entirely different matter which I choose to ignore.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Totally agree with Jim_lain's comments.  Additionally, despite cruising in a suites, DH and I have enjoyed meals, including dinners in OV; choices similar to pre-covid and very peaceful there in the evenings.  (We've met some great folks there!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Suites are sold out. We are not cancelling, paid in full and hotel and air booked. See you on board.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mayleeman said:

While it could be my imagination, ✋🏿✋🏿✋🏿, usually by day three (3) staff and crew treat us like we were on the sailing before and the sailing after... then again we sail every year... in sub-$3k accommodations, usually, and never had a suite as they would be way beyond our desired budget...

I admit that "frequently", per my spouse, I can be spoiled and require lots of attention when not at home!!! Food, cocktails and room service are what I seek special treatment for!!! LOL 

At any rate, that is our experience and it appears not others who have posted as such... as the acronym goes YMMV and sounds like it does.

bon voyage

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Oh most definitely.  I am not sure that you will like the answer...

Why would I dislike the answer? If you or anyone else prefers other cruise lines, absolutely fine with me. Each to their own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1