Internet purchase when a Diamond member

Returning to Royal after 5 years.  How does the 1 free day Diamond perk work if I want to pre-purchase internet?  Do I have to call to get it applied? Does it matter that I booked through a TA? Thanks for any info

2 minutes ago, KarenRB said:

Returning to Royal after 5 years.  How does the 1 free day Diamond perk work if I want to pre-purchase internet?  Do I have to call to get it applied? Does it matter that I booked through a TA? Thanks for any info

It cannot be applied pre cruise, only onboard at the going rate.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KarenRB said:

akcruz is correct, the discount is only onboard. I wanted to add when you log it and click to purchase, the discount amount will be stated on the page, do you want to use the discount to purchase one day, rest of cruise. 

Easy to figure out onboard. If it's a couple they can take turns using their day.

If you pre purchase the internet, you’re no longer eligible for the one free day. The only way is to use your one free day on board and then purchase the remainder of the cruise or parts thereof afterwards. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

If you pre purchase the internet, you’re no longer eligible for the one free day. The only way is to use your one free day on board and then purchase the remainder of the cruise or parts thereof afterwards. 

Idk this.  I thought I'd read a cabin could purchase internet and still use their free days on a different device. ..since they arent giving you a price based on status makes no sense.. It doesnt sound right to me. 

• Like 1

Thanks all.  If I wait to purchase onboard, do I have to stand in a line at internet services or can this just be done interactively on the TV in the cabin like on NCL?  It's only a five day cruise and don't want to spend any time in a line, if possible.

It's currently discounted to $16.99 from $24.99.  Have you found it's also discounted once on the ship?

2 minutes ago, KarenRB said:

Thanks all.  If I wait to purchase onboard, do I have to stand in a line at internet services or can this just be done interactively on the TV in the cabin like on NCL?  It's only a five day cruise and don't want to spend any time in a line, if possible.

It's currently discounted to $16.99 from $24.99.  Have you found it's also discounted once on the ship?

Hi neighbor! You can purchase it through the app. I'm not sure about doing it on the TV. You shouldn't have to wait in line anywhere.

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

akcruz is correct, the discount is only onboard. I wanted to add when you log it and click to purchase, the discount amount will be stated on the page, do you want to use the discount to purchase one day, rest of cruise. 

Easy to figure out onboard. If it's a couple they can take turns using their day.

1 minute ago, KarenRB said:

As my post above says it's easy. I am over age 70 and not tech. I know to connect to ship wifi, it asks do you want the free wifi with the app or do you want to purchase. Click purchase. That's where the page is showing your discount. Varys by ship. Oasis class can be a discount of 29.99 a day perhaps, supposed to cover one day of wifi.. click, what you want, 1 day, or rest of the cruise. It shows the price minus the discount. Click purchase if that's what you want.

I requoted my own post explaining it's easy onboard since you are asking what I just answered. 

43 minutes ago, KarenRB said:

You just need to do the math. Will it overall be cheaper to get your free day and pay onboard cost, which could be $24.99 or more, for 4 days, or get 5 days at $16.99. It will not be cheaper on the ship. I personally think you will be better off at pre purchased $16.99 

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HicksRA said:

You absolutely can take advantage of the free day even when you pre purchase a package.  I buy the package and always take advantage of my 2 free days.  It just requires a visit to the internet desk on board.  I will get the extra device and then my wife will use that code or I use it so I don't have to keep logging in and out to jump between my phone and laptop

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You absolutely can take advantage of the free day even when you pre purchase a package.  I buy the package and always take advantage of my 2 free days.  It just requires a visit to the internet desk on board.  I will get the extra device and then my wife will use that code or I use it so I don't have to keep logging in and out to jump between my phone and laptop

I give the grandkids my free days, after pre purchasing for myself 

• Like 1

For the 6 day Mariner we’re on now,  I used DH’s 2 free days. Then on 4th day I purchased “remainder of cruise” and applied,y 2 free days.  Since I used cell for first evening until we were too far out, I only paid $21.99 for the cruise.  We’re diamond plus and he doesn’t use it when we’re on vacation.

It was easy to do using the app.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

But you are purchasing something extra and using your coupon against that, correct?

You are not taking the coupon off the pre-purchased package price, which I think was being asked originally?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

My reply was based on what’s possible with one person - not two people sharing codes back and forth (which my wife and I do). 

One person can purchase the week and use the free days on a 2nd device. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

My reply was based on what’s possible with one person - not two people sharing codes back and forth (which my wife and I do). 

As I stated, I use it for myself as well.  Buy one package ahead of time and then use my free days for an extra device

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KarenRB said:

Typically you will pay full price onboard.  Could be cheaper, but you simply won’t know until onboard.   It may well be cheaper to prepay vs buying onboard given the price assuming you want to use it all 5 days.  

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Idk this.  I thought I'd read a cabin could purchase internet and still use their free days on a different device. ..since they arent giving you a price based on status makes no sense.. It doesnt sound right to me. 

Yes you still get your day free if you buy internet. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This is exactly correct. I even called from my stateroom and had it activated.

Another tip - if you activate your free day, it's for "24 hours" so I call to set it up after dinner before a sea day, and enjoy it for the evening and throughout the following day. We are both D+ so we get a total of 4 free "24 hour periods" which covers an extra device for our entire cruise.

18 hours ago, ATG said:

Since I used cell for first evening until we were too far out,

Thanks for this info.  Is there a way to tell you can still use cell service safely w/o getting high charges?  Something to turn off on phone so don't accidently enter an area of charge?  I've always strictly turned off phone at sail away.

2 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Sp can my DH use 1 free day and then I use my free day a different day but not buy it for the rest of the week? 

Of course ..though the discount needs to match the one day charge. Check the charge is 0 and buy the day whenever you want and either can use.

16 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Sp can my DH use 1 free day and then I use my free day a different day but not buy it for the rest of the week? 

You can apply your discount any way you want - to the 24 hr package or the remaining days package.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As I stated, I use it for myself as well.  Buy one package ahead of time and then use my free days for an extra device

Does it matter how long the cruise is?  Do diamonds still get the free day on short 3 or 4 day cruises. Do diamonds get more than one day on a longer cruise?