The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 6th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

No one here to kiss. My DM made the best fried chicken, but I don't make it. Not sure about umbrella covers having a day; some of my little ones that go in a purse do have covers, as do patio umbrellas. I like the quote. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and wine. Interesting day in history. I've been to Spain, but not Valencia. 

I'm trying to wake up from all the benadryl I took yesterday for my injection. I'm hoping the RA in my hands will calm down as my hand joints are painful and it's hard to open jars or grip things.  It's going to be quite hot here today. I would like to try to mow the lawn before it gets too warm.

@summer slope Thinking of you after your hard day yesterday.

@StLouisCruisers Lovely photos from Valencia. Good luck at the Derm appointment.

@Denise T Sorry to hear about the effect Covid had on your diabetes; keep at it!

@smitty34877 It's great to hear that Lou is home! I'm glad family is pitching in to help out. 

@aliaschief Nice photos.

@kazu Sorry to hear Ivan is still resisting the pills. I hope the vet has some good insight into what's going on. I hope your follow-up report is good. Lovely flower pics.

@cruising sister Lots of prayers for baby Murphy and her medical team.

@superoma I don't have an induction cooktop, but used one at my host's house in Germany. Things heat up really quickly, and there was even a turbo setting used for things like boiling water. I didn't do a lot of cooking there, so I hope someone else with more experience will chime in. His stove was Miele (as were all the appliances) and the pans were also made by Miele.

@sterling2 Welcome to the Daily!

@ger_77 Happy Birthday to DH's DD.

@marshhawk Sorry about the back pain. It sounds like maybe you need to see the doctor again. Good luck with the MRI results. And I hope Chuck's qualifies.

@luvteaching Thinking of you.

Prayers for the Care List and I hope there are many with something to Celebrate.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning for a sunny central Texas where it is 82F but feels like 89F.  Our high today will be 92F if the prediction is correct.  I got my walk in early before the sun was too high and it was still pleasant outside.

Three interesting days today.  Kissing is always good as is fried chicken which will be our dinner tonight, cooked in the air fryer.  Since we don't have a patio umbrella, we can't celebrate umbrella cover day.

The Marcus Aurelius quote is very true if not always easy.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

On a driving tour of Spain in September 2001, after spending the night in Alicante, we planned to stop in Valencia and tour the old city.  However, between lack of parking near the walled city and pouring rain, we decided to keep driving.  I hope to get back there someday.

I'm glad that Pope Clement VI did not blame the Jews or any other group for the black plague.

@summer slope  Dixie, you and your DH are in our thoughts after Bailey crossing the Rainbow Bridge yesterday.  She had a long life in a loving home.  ((((HUGS))))

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm curious what today's port is that offers another chance to see the Atlantic Coast Road.  Enjoy your tour.

@StLouisCruisers  Thanks for your pictures of Valencia.  Could you do me favor tomorrow and repost any pictures of mine from the port of the day?  DH has an appointment in Dallas early in the morning, so we will have to leave here by 7 am to allow time to get there and add a fudge factor for traffic, road work, accidents, etc.  Oh, and it will be all right if you want to correct any typos you find.  😁  I hope all goes well at the dermatologist today.

@Denise T  Denise, I'm sorry your blood sugar is high and is not responding to diet, exercise and meds.  I hope your doctor has a solution.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I wonder why I'm not surprised you booked a cruise to fill in the gap between your last cruise and the world cruise.  Thanks for the wonderful pictures from Valencia.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm very happy that Lou was able to come come yesterday, and that he had no trouble walking from the car and up the stairs.  I'm very happy to hear that the family is taking on some of the chores you have been doing.  It sounds like the teenager is becoming a big asset in the house, and I know Tana is proud of him.  I hope he enjoys his job as much as he did the day camp as a kid.  I also hope Tana can get some relief from the humidity so that life can become a little easier for her.

@kazu  Jacqui, sorry the pill pockets are not working.  Have you thought about a less expensive cut of meat or chicken for Ivan's pills?  I hope the vet can get to the bottom of why he improves then crashes when she sees him tomorrow.  I hope you get a good report today.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, positive thoughts for Murphy, her parents and medical team are heading her way for today's surgery. 

@ger_77  Gerry, I agree that HAL's buttermilk fried chicken was great.  I tried making it in the air fryer after finding a recipe in an air fryer cookbook.  Even with turning the chicken over halfway through cooking, the bottom side was always mushy.  Wet batters and coatings just don't work well in an air fryer.  I finally started using my mother's method of putting flour, salt and pepper in a bag, adding the chicken and shaking the bag to coat the chicken.  I then lightly spray vegetable oil on the chicken and pop it in the air fryer.  I still turn the chicken over halfway through cooking so all sides are nice and crispy.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DH's DD.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm sorry you are still in so much pain.  I know pain can radiate to different parts of the body, but what you described doesn't sound like a pinched nerve in the elbow.  I hope the MRI gives you some good news, and that the PT will help with the pain.  I'm also hoping Chuck qualifies for the new chemo drug.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the hand pain and inflammation go away soon.

348342666_767965251726155_6278146757560529564_n.jpg.bc3cfb03a38e10abc72676c003037b09.jpg

348462952_558058969589624_2782543130141886943_n.thumb.jpg.cdeff1a5fcc275906bc955f0f815e21f.jpg

348845280_1480480962690557_5470464629833456305_n.jpg.f3a35c291fccdf4dfd8070387b94cc73.jpg

349145737_150277464697216_2821726765809786235_n.jpg.5b45e6d2221be15d06ba186494ef5529.jpg

348701097_6171827879611712_7392576644249081553_n.thumb.jpg.2803b7227bf8ee7ef9aad63ccbcc8045.jpg

357575926_114598001684216_1003375841549572979_n.thumb.jpg.2ed9378987c690cfa9e32eb86874be48.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

First thoughts went out to baby Murphy, family and Care Team! 
And to Karen, Terry and Lou, Ann and Pat, Annie and Chuck, Vanessa, Lorraine, Paul, Dixie, Denise, Jacqui and Ivan, Terri and DH… I am missing more.. I’d need to go back to Venessa’s Care list, oiy!  Love you all!  Hoping for the best for each of you. And your family and friends in need.  Thanks for the Valencia pics Sandi and Bruce. 

The quote sums it up pretty well! It’s inspiring! 

I’ve noticed plastic umbrella covers offered in doctor’s offices and some stores since we moved to Maryland. Keeps the floors safer. Nice! 

Debbie, the recipes look super today!  I’ll try a facsimile with fewer calories.  

Bruce, that repositioning sounds fun!  We were looking at the Canada/New England options, maybe you are inspiring us to look again. 🙃 

Did my bone scan yesterday. 🤞 Hoping it’s all stable. DH has gotten on top of the itchy eyes with Benadryl again. The eye pressures have been mostly very good- great that we were able to get the home tonometer to monitor. Hoping this surgery coming up can get him off the eye drops. His walking has been curbed with a flare up of plantar fasciitis so I taped his foot like a pediatrist showed me long ago; it’s much better but needs it to heal a bit more before he can do his 2 mile walks. 

Zoom yoga today for me. And some more Wimbledon!  Too hot and sticky to be out!  

Im worried about my BFF who is in Scotland with her sons and their families… she tested +for COVID 😱.  Haven’t heard if anyone else caught it. I watered her plants yesterday - she has a townhouse here so has a small garden. I hope the flowers perk up, they were pretty unhappy looking. 

Blessings to all who need a lift! Healing, comfort or hope. Cheers to all the celebrations. Life is Good!  Smooth travels to all away!  🌈.  m—

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  It's another hot and humid day, the feel like temperature is supposed to get to 99F.  I'd like some fried chicken,  DH liked KFC but none are near us.  Instead we will have leftover ham.  I'll go around and kiss each of the kids.  I hope everyone has a good day today. 

Another Aldi find is blooming. 

20230705_181249.thumb.jpg.f9911c4a913fe0a62a403a50c645b283.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning for a sunny central Texas where it is 82F but feels like 89F.  Our high today will be 92F if the prediction is correct.  I got my walk in early before the sun was too high and it was still pleasant outside.

Three interesting days today.  Kissing is always good as is fried chicken which will be our dinner tonight, cooked in the air fryer.  Since we don't have a patio umbrella, we can't celebrate umbrella cover day.

The Marcus Aurelius quote is very true if not always easy.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

On a driving tour of Spain in September 2001, after spending the night in Alicante, we planned to stop in Valencia and tour the old city.  However, between lack of parking near the walled city and pouring rain, we decided to keep driving.  I hope to get back there someday.

I'm glad that Pope Clement VI did not blame the Jews or any other group for the black plague.

@summer slope  Dixie, you and your DH are in our thoughts after Bailey crossing the Rainbow Bridge yesterday.  She had a long life in a loving home.  ((((HUGS))))

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm curious what today's port is that offers another chance to see the Atlantic Coast Road.  Enjoy your tour.

@StLouisCruisers  Thanks for your pictures of Valencia.  Could you do me favor tomorrow and repost any pictures of mine from the port of the day?  DH has an appointment in Dallas early in the morning, so we will have to leave here by 7 am to allow time to get there and add a fudge factor for traffic, road work, accidents, etc.  Oh, and it will be all right if you want to correct any typos you find.  😁  I hope all goes well at the dermatologist today.

@Denise T  Denise, I'm sorry your blood sugar is high and is not responding to diet, exercise and meds.  I hope your doctor has a solution.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I wonder why I'm not surprised you booked a cruise to fill in the gap between your last cruise and the world cruise.  Thanks for the wonderful pictures from Valencia.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm very happy that Lou was able to come come yesterday, and that he had no trouble walking from the car and up the stairs.  I'm very happy to hear that the family is taking on some of the chores you have been doing.  It sounds like the teenager is becoming a big asset in the house, and I know Tana is proud of him.  I hope he enjoys his job as much as he did the day camp as a kid.  I also hope Tana can get some relief from the humidity so that life can become a little easier for her.

@kazu  Jacqui, sorry the pill pockets are not working.  Have you thought about a less expensive cut of meat or chicken for Ivan's pills?  I hope the vet can get to the bottom of why he improves then crashes when she sees him tomorrow.  I hope you get a good report today.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, positive thoughts for Murphy, her parents and medical team are heading her way for today's surgery. 

@ger_77  Gerry, I agree that HAL's buttermilk fried chicken was great.  I tried making it in the air fryer after finding a recipe in an air fryer cookbook.  Even with turning the chicken over halfway through cooking, the bottom side was always mushy.  Wet batters and coatings just don't work well in an air fryer.  I finally started using my mother's method of putting flour, salt and pepper in a bag, adding the chicken and shaking the bag to coat the chicken.  I then lightly spray vegetable oil on the chicken and pop it in the air fryer.  I still turn the chicken over halfway through cooking so all sides are nice and crispy.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DH's DD.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm sorry you are still in so much pain.  I know pain can radiate to different parts of the body, but what you described doesn't sound like a pinched nerve in the elbow.  I hope the MRI gives you some good news, and that the PT will help with the pain.  I'm also hoping Chuck qualifies for the new chemo drug.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the hand pain and inflammation go away soon.

348342666_767965251726155_6278146757560529564_n.jpg.bc3cfb03a38e10abc72676c003037b09.jpg

348462952_558058969589624_2782543130141886943_n.thumb.jpg.cdeff1a5fcc275906bc955f0f815e21f.jpg

348845280_1480480962690557_5470464629833456305_n.jpg.f3a35c291fccdf4dfd8070387b94cc73.jpg

349145737_150277464697216_2821726765809786235_n.jpg.5b45e6d2221be15d06ba186494ef5529.jpg

348701097_6171827879611712_7392576644249081553_n.thumb.jpg.2803b7227bf8ee7ef9aad63ccbcc8045.jpg

357575926_114598001684216_1003375841549572979_n.thumb.jpg.2ed9378987c690cfa9e32eb86874be48.jpg

Lenda

OK Ms Crystal. I guess you expect a reply. No, I don’t have a cow-a-sock-ee! I have a Harley! I hear the cow-a-sock-ee backfires a lot! 😀

• Like 7
  • Haha 10

Fairly early for me, but I am up early for several phone calls, and maybe a trip into Grand Junction today!  It is only 76 with a high of 98 anticipated.  Maybe yes, maybe no on going to the concert in the park this evening!  Not a cloud in the sky, but late afternoon clouds seem to arrive every day with no rain.  At least most of the Colorado wildfires are fairly small  (Plus or minus 3000 acres).

My prayers for all those on the Cares list.  Wish the list were shorter and the Happy times list was longer.  Special prayers for Baby Murphy today.  

Sorting, and tossing has become my way of life.  It is daunting to know how much more I still have to do. I still get very emotional about doing all of this.  Almost 53 years of memories just in the times since I married DH.   @Quartzsite CruiserI have a large tub of genealogy stuff that I am not sure whether I should keep or just send to the shredding company.  No one in my family wants the stuff on my side, and can't determine whether DH's kids want all of that information.  (There were some interesting ancestors in DH's family - on his Mother's side they qualify for membership in the DAR, so that is a possibility, if anyone were interested).  

@StLouisCruisers,  my thoughts are with you on the dermatologist visit.  Hope there is NOTHING!  My scars are healing fairly well, and I have my last visit to the plastic surgeon in a couple of weeks.  The top of my head and part of my forehead are still numb.

Have a great day everyone.  Stay out of the bad air quality for all those still suffering those ill effects of such large wildfires.

Mary Kay

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is International Kissing Day, National Fried Chicken Day, and Umbrella Cover Day

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -- Marcus Aurelius.

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Shrimp Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes
Drink of the Day - Devil In The Morning
Wine of the Day - Felton Road Chardonnay Central Otago Block 6 2021
Destination of the Day - Valencia, Spain

Today in History:
1348 Papal bull of Pope Clement VI issued during the Black Death stating Jews not to blame and urging their protection

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Skagway, AK eta 7/7

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Helsinki, Finland eta 07 Jul

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 0800-1800

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Trieste, Italy eta 7-07

Rotterdam

Trondheim, Norway 0800-1700

Volendam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska eta 07 Jul

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia 0830-1600

Zuiderdam

Akureyri, Iceland 0900-1700

0706Alaska.thumb.png.6f219202ace13e736edc26fea9cd1935.png

0706Atlantic.thumb.png.15b6c4d26f5414b8c76175d026c55357.png

Thanks for the fleet report Rich.👍

• Like 16

Good morning, 

It's quite pleasant out this morning and I have windows open and fans going to keep the house cool. We're supposed to get to the mid-80's today and then back to the 70's tomorrow and beyond. 

I'm doing ok but had a bit of a teary afternoon yesterday as DH Phil's obituary is published at the funeral chapel site. https://www.lemleychapel.com. Feel free to go read it. He's at the top of the page at the moment. The picture is taken on his 83rd birthday, the hat is his Homer Spit one and you can see the shirt and its significance. I love the smile. The "superman" photo is to show off his shirt with the magnetic closings. If you have family members who struggle to button shirts these are wonderful. I get them at Duluth Trading. 

DS Jeff is supposed to be over today. Lincare is coming, at some point, to pick up the oxygen concentrator, tanks, and other "stuff" but no idea when. I plan to not go past the end of the driveway today. 

Yesterday I took flowers (Costco) to the Acute Care Unit nurses and was able to talk to the social worker for a minute as well. I stopped at the Care Facility and dropped off bouquets for the nurses and for the therapists and got to connect with several who had taken care of DH. It was very nice, gave some closure, and I wanted them to know how appreciated they are. 

Enjoy the day everyone! 

Karen

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

15 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

It's quite pleasant out this morning and I have windows open and fans going to keep the house cool. We're supposed to get to the mid-80's today and then back to the 70's tomorrow and beyond. 

I'm doing ok but had a bit of a teary afternoon yesterday as DH Phil's obituary is published at the funeral chapel site. https://www.lemleychapel.com. Feel free to go read it. He's at the top of the page at the moment. The picture is taken on his 83rd birthday, the hat is his Homer Spit one and you can see the shirt and its significance. I love the smile. The "superman" photo is to show off his shirt with the magnetic closings. If you have family members who struggle to button shirts these are wonderful. I get them at Duluth Trading. 

DS Jeff is supposed to be over today. Lincare is coming, at some point, to pick up the oxygen concentrator, tanks, and other "stuff" but no idea when. I plan to not go past the end of the driveway today. 

Yesterday I took flowers (Costco) to the Acute Care Unit nurses and was able to talk to the social worker for a minute as well. I stopped at the Care Facility and dropped off bouquets for the nurses and for the therapists and got to connect with several who had taken care of DH. It was very nice, gave some closure, and I wanted them to know how appreciated they are. 

Enjoy the day everyone! 

Karen

Karen

What a wonderful tribute to Phil and his life!  Bless you for remembering his medical team. They are so often overlooked.  ❤️

• Like 20

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Fairly early for me, but I am up early for several phone calls, and maybe a trip into Grand Junction today!  It is only 76 with a high of 98 anticipated.  Maybe yes, maybe no on going to the concert in the park this evening!  Not a cloud in the sky, but late afternoon clouds seem to arrive every day with no rain.  At least most of the Colorado wildfires are fairly small  (Plus or minus 3000 acres).

My prayers for all those on the Cares list.  Wish the list were shorter and the Happy times list was longer.  Special prayers for Baby Murphy today.  

Sorting, and tossing has become my way of life.  It is daunting to know how much more I still have to do. I still get very emotional about doing all of this.  Almost 53 years of memories just in the times since I married DH.   @Quartzsite CruiserI have a large tub of genealogy stuff that I am not sure whether I should keep or just send to the shredding company.  No one in my family wants the stuff on my side, and can't determine whether DH's kids want all of that information.  (There were some interesting ancestors in DH's family - on his Mother's side they qualify for membership in the DAR, so that is a possibility, if anyone were interested).  

@StLouisCruisers,  my thoughts are with you on the dermatologist visit.  Hope there is NOTHING!  My scars are healing fairly well, and I have my last visit to the plastic surgeon in a couple of weeks.  The top of my head and part of my forehead are still numb.

Have a great day everyone.  Stay out of the bad air quality for all those still suffering those ill effects of such large wildfires.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I wish I knew what to advise you about all the genealogy stuff.  I just started looking into my ancestry in 2020 and didn't really do much until this past February.  All my research has been on line, so everything, except the few pages I printed, are all on the computer.  If there is a genealogy society in your area, they might be interested in some of the things.  Also, the LDS church has a big genealogy data base.  They might have some ideas.

37 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Enjoy the day everyone! 

Karen

Karen, what a lovely and loving tribute to Phil.  I loved the pictures too.  Like Ann, @cat shepard, I'm so glad you mentioned all the wonderful members of his care team, who are seldom thanked and even less rarely thanked publicly.

Lenda

• Like 21

We have been a few times in Valencia and surroundings because my youngest brother lives nearby .

The inner court of his home .

IMG_0912.thumb.jpg.0bf7f6443bd505133e8eacfb81cde960.jpg

Enjoying a nice lunch with my Dutch brother who has a summer home near Valencia and my Spanish Brother  who has lived there for 40 some years . It was a long time ago the three have met all together 

958204793_DSCN16152.thumb.JPG.03c4fbb0d3971e16dfd4e57ffeae79dc.JPG

Enjoying a fantastic original Paella with the familia , cooked outdoors on a wood fire . Fred makes the best ones with either chicken , rabbit or seafood .

IMG_0885.thumb.JPG.97cfe74f31218de0c44922356e9a1d9d.JPG

Brothers home on the left and to the right is where the ladies meet in the morning doing their laundry at the well . A lot of talking is always going on ............

DSCF5113.thumb.JPG.308cb08925e1fdf373e6082e4846512a.JPG

The village from the tower in the centre where he plays his guitar because of the great acoustics 

DSCF5116.thumb.JPG.7fd7aae95e6a5d67ae8ae9d5118082bb.JPG

DSCF5118.thumb.JPG.9f958be3bbf5e42601c9aab6a067d82f.JPG

Lunch :  a Set Menu of the day and bring your own bottle of wine .  My brother works with a few Bodegas so nothing but the best ! 

DSCF5102.thumb.JPG.b2ba923969980bcf7f035d17916790f1.JPG

Youngest brother Fred  ( Alfredo ) is a great classical Spanish guitar player and composer .

12002928_754276751366424_830560069180235216_n.jpg.7624bc49e5f9344d5c7496ba915de4ab.jpg

Valencia .
The nice old entrance hall of the Valencia train station 

DSCF5129.thumb.JPG.0bb299fba58fb8b6efed50df54142051.JPG

DSCF5127.thumb.JPG.95b08fbafec81edffc21409b06f5f459.JPG

DSCF5126.thumb.JPG.edc3f2da7c306265d8ad8e032af24fb5.JPG

The Arena in Valencia 

DSCF5133.thumb.JPG.6326aabb021fc1ba3e5d945fe8f43c6c.JPG

Entrance to the Ceramics Museum . Palacio del Marques de Dos Aguas .

DSCF5137.thumb.JPG.8f7321401bad2e41b91b278f302b150a.JPG

The ceramics museum 

DSCF5143.thumb.JPG.ab539ec18191f01cfb13c0c2da5deef5.JPG

DSCF5139.thumb.JPG.003d3c0e89167f5af7793285ab64752e.JPG

The Catedral .

spain-valencia-top-attractions-catedral-de-valencia.jpg.47a07501d24236c11716c2461860b89a.jpg

After sundown when the Spanish heat subsides in Valencia ( 38 C ) an nice outdoors dinner 

DSCF5149.thumb.JPG.37a88a4ffb993f313c81cf41d24b34c7.JPG

I am also still looking for the cruise pictures when we had another very nice day in Valencia and met up again with the family near the “ City of Arts and Sciences complex “ . Spain has always been one of our favourite destinations .

Hope you enjoyed seeing a few personal pictures from in and near Valencia .

Tony😀😀
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Good morning all!

We sure are enjoying our beautiful weather lately.  Today will be another high of low-mid 80's (and low humidity) and then will dip down to the 70's for a week or so.  No rain in the forecast.

Tomorrow we'll be picking up our oldest DGS and have him with us until Sunday night.  It will be a busy and fun time!  We have lots of things planned so the days will be full.  

I'm all for kissing and fried chicken, but other than on a patio umbrella, I've never even heard of covers for small umbrellas.  But we rarely use umbrellas here even though we get a lot of rain.  I live by that quote too, attitude is everything.  

I might like the drink, but wonder if it would be too sweet...and yay on a white wine finally, a NZ wine!  Will pass on the meal, it sounds a bit heavy.   I've  never been to Valencia.  

@Denise T I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with your Diabetes after having Covid. I hope your doctor can help you get that under control. When I was so sick with the flu last fall and then when I had Covid this spring, my numbers went up even though I wasn't eating much of anything.  Illness can do strange things to blood sugar.  Because of both illnesses I lost about 13 pounds and now my numbers are much better.  It sure wasn't from anything I did, I wasn't trying to lose weight. 😕

@cruising sister Lorraine sending up prayers for Baby Murphy and her surgeons today.

@smitty34877 Terry great news that Lou was able to come home yesterday.  And I'm happy to hear about how everyone is pitching in to help!

@kazu Sorry to hear that the pill pockets aren't working so well 😞 All the ups and downs has to be so hard.

@sterling2 Welcome to the Daily!

@luvteaching The obituary is lovely, thank you for sharing. I wonder if he went to grade school in Bellingham -- if so he would have been in school with one of my sisters.  He sounds like he was a wonderful person.

I just have to share some photos of DD's poppies -- I'm in love with them!

poppy.thumb.jpg.6d8e8cf9508b0082aa5d825362d5ad3c.jpg

poppy2.thumb.jpg.a5a3c2fb98d6c61af4f175fabc685f86.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

I was thinking that umbrella cover referred to the fabric sleeve in which new umbrellas often come, but I gather that it can also be a plastic sleeve to contain a wet umbrella. No shrimp anything for me. I'd be willing to try the drink. For the wine I might substitute Dr. Frank's Hilda Chardonnay 2021. My itinerary for the fall doesn't include Valencia.

Today in History:

1348 Papal bull of Pope Clement VI issued during the Black Death stating Jews not to blame and urging their protection

There were extensive massacres of Jews during the Black Death in Europe, but one medical-journal article argues that there was no relationship: "Causes of the persecutions other than the effects of plague seem evident, mainly religious fears fueled by the Church, financial profit, and political interests. This article wants to draw the attention to a myth in the history of medicine, the myth of the plague as the main cause of the massacres in the 14th century. It also raises the question, whether the plague as a trigger for the massacres really was a basic requirement."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11625662/

I'm just back from the car dealer, having my car diagnosed but not repaired. I knew when I made the appointment that the part wouldn't be in stock, but they wanted to see the car before ordering one. The facility is new since I bought my car, with an enormous, rather luxurious customer lounge that could have been inspired by the last season of Rock the Block (lots of stone, double-sided fireplace). There's a machine that brews coffee to order from freshly ground beans.

After that I stopped at Wally World, which is almost next door, for one item that no one else seems to have in stock.

3 hours ago, superoma said:

I have more than enough pans that are magnetic but I will have lots to get rid of including some lagostina pans that no magnet will stick to even though they are stainless steel.  

have you narrowed your research to a favourite? So far I have eliminated lg since there are many not so good reviews.

Most of my pans are from the 1990s, just before many manufacturers switched to magnet-friendly stainless steel. To make it worse, a kosher kitchen has three or four sets of pans: meat, dairy, meat for Passover, dairy for Passover. Because of lactose intolerance, I don't have dairy pans for Passover, but three sets total a lot of pans.

I haven't settled on a brand or model. I've seen the negative reports about LG, and those about Samsung seem to be even worse. I'm unlikely to buy an expensive European brand.

Android.thumb.jpg.c906b4fe8756a54e2c31e22959388755.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 23
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@kazu, And cat fur too🐾

Oh, absolutely cat fur 🙂 😉 

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  I know my doc says it's a pinched nerve in my elbow, but the truth is the pain that shoots from my spine to the shoulder blade is what has kept me off the computer.  The hand feels like it's asleep, and the elbow? enh not much pain.  Its the back that hurts!  

Yikes - Pinched nerves can be so painful 😔. I hope a solution can be found to help it heal faster 🤞 

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Today I go for an MRI to see how the tumor in my lung is doing.  Chuck goes back to his doc on the 20th to see if he qualifies for a new form of chemo.  Tomorrow back to physical therapy for me.

Best wishes for good results from your MRI today 🙏🏻. Hopefully Chuck’s doctor visit is successful on the 20th 🤞 

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I'm hoping the RA in my hands will calm down as my hand joints are painful and it's hard to open jars or grip things. 

So sorry to hear of your pain and hoping your RA calms down FAST.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu Sorry to hear Ivan is still resisting the pills. I hope the vet has some good insight into what's going on. I hope your follow-up report is good.

Thanks.  The vet and I have already been discussing some things in anticipation of tomorrow.

@ger_77 a very happy birthday to your DH’s DD.  Hope you all have a great dinner celebration.

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Did my bone scan yesterday. 🤞 Hoping it’s all stable. DH has gotten on top of the itchy eyes with Benadryl again. The eye pressures have been mostly very good- great that we were able to get the home tonometer to monitor. Hoping this surgery coming up can get him off the eye drops. His walking has been curbed with a flare up of plantar fasciitis so I taped his foot like a pediatrist showed me long ago; it’s much better but needs it to heal a bit more before he can do his 2 mile walks. 

Best wishes on your bone scan.  Hoping your DH’s surgery solves the eye drop issues 🤞. Hoping his plantar fasciitis heals quickly.

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Im worried about my BFF who is in Scotland with her sons and their families… she tested +for COVID 😱.  Haven’t heard if anyone else caught it.

Yikes!  Hopefully your BFF only has mild symptoms and recovers quickly and no one else gets it.🤞  Worrisome enough to get covid but so far away - very worrisome.

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Sorting, and tossing has become my way of life.  It is daunting to know how much more I still have to do. I still get very emotional about doing all of this.  Almost 53 years of memories just in the times since I married DH.

I completely understand.  It’s a way of life here, too.  I start to get very sad or feel guilty.  I don’t know if it’s of any help but I have found that if I just do a little bit every other day or so, it’s not quite so bad.  I know that means it will take longer but it’s going to take a long time anyways.  Otherwise, I just get too sad and guilt ridden.  I try not to look at everything left to be done (which is daunting) but instead at what I have got done.  It doesn’t work all the time but sometimes, it does.

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

I'm doing ok but had a bit of a teary afternoon yesterday as DH Phil's obituary is published at the funeral chapel site. https://www.lemleychapel.com. Feel free to go read it. He's at the top of the page at the moment. The picture is taken on his 83rd birthday, the hat is his Homer Spit one and you can see the shirt and its significance. I love the smile.

Karen, let the tears flow.  I was a bit teary reading the obituary, myself.  You did a lovely job of it.  A fine tribute to Phil, his life and what was important to him.  I loved that you thanked the medical teams too.  

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

How very nice of you. ♥️  I’m sure they were appreciated.  I am glad it gave you some closure. ♥️ 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
We have been a few times in Valencia and surroundings because my youngest brother lives nearby .

The inner court of his home .

IMG_0912.thumb.jpg.0bf7f6443bd505133e8eacfb81cde960.jpg

Enjoying a nice lunch with my Dutch brother who has a summer home near Valencia and my Spanish Brother  who has lived there for 40 some years . It was a long time ago the three have met all together 

958204793_DSCN16152.thumb.JPG.03c4fbb0d3971e16dfd4e57ffeae79dc.JPG

Enjoying a fantastic original Paella with the familia , cooked outdoors on a wood fire . Fred makes the best ones with either chicken , rabbit or seafood .

IMG_0885.thumb.JPG.97cfe74f31218de0c44922356e9a1d9d.JPG

Brothers home on the left and to the right is where the ladies meet in the morning doing their laundry at the well . A lot of talking is always going on ............

DSCF5113.thumb.JPG.308cb08925e1fdf373e6082e4846512a.JPG

The village from the tower in the centre where he plays his guitar because of the great acoustics 

DSCF5116.thumb.JPG.7fd7aae95e6a5d67ae8ae9d5118082bb.JPG

DSCF5118.thumb.JPG.9f958be3bbf5e42601c9aab6a067d82f.JPG

Lunch :  a Set Menu of the day and bring your own bottle of wine .  My brother works with a few Bodegas so nothing but the best ! 

DSCF5102.thumb.JPG.b2ba923969980bcf7f035d17916790f1.JPG

Youngest brother Fred  ( Alfredo ) is a great classical Spanish guitar player and composer .

12002928_754276751366424_830560069180235216_n.jpg.7624bc49e5f9344d5c7496ba915de4ab.jpg

Valencia .
The nice old entrance hall of the Valencia train station 

DSCF5129.thumb.JPG.0bb299fba58fb8b6efed50df54142051.JPG

DSCF5127.thumb.JPG.95b08fbafec81edffc21409b06f5f459.JPG

DSCF5126.thumb.JPG.edc3f2da7c306265d8ad8e032af24fb5.JPG

The Arena in Valencia 

DSCF5133.thumb.JPG.6326aabb021fc1ba3e5d945fe8f43c6c.JPG

Entrance to the Ceramics Museum . Palacio del Marques de Dos Aguas .

DSCF5137.thumb.JPG.8f7321401bad2e41b91b278f302b150a.JPG

The ceramics museum 

DSCF5143.thumb.JPG.ab539ec18191f01cfb13c0c2da5deef5.JPG

DSCF5139.thumb.JPG.003d3c0e89167f5af7793285ab64752e.JPG

The Catedral .

spain-valencia-top-attractions-catedral-de-valencia.jpg.47a07501d24236c11716c2461860b89a.jpg

After sundown when the Spanish heat subsides in Valencia ( 38 C ) an nice outdoors dinner 

DSCF5149.thumb.JPG.37a88a4ffb993f313c81cf41d24b34c7.JPG

I am also still looking for the cruise pictures when we had another very nice day in Valencia and met up again with the family near the “ City of Arts and Sciences complex “ . Spain has always been one of our favourite destinations .

Hope you enjoyed seeing a few personal pictures from in and near Valencia .

Tony😀😀

Excellent photos Tony.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Mary Kay

Hello, I am a DAR member. Depending on what you have the National Society Daughters of America in Washington, DC maybe interested in your material. They generally look for published books, birth, death and marriage certificates. Do you know who your husband's Patriots' name is. If I had it I could look it up and maybe able to help more.  P&P NH

• Like 9

5 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. Another hot day here and possible thundershowers building, too. 

question: does anyone use an induction range? I want to replace my electric stove some time before the end of the year. I am getting error codes and since it is 30 years old replacement parts are non existent. I know that I need to use pans and pots that a magnet will attach to and they need to fit the burners exactly to work properly. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. 

wishing everyone a great day.

I think you will be very happy treating yourself to an induction range.   I did have to buy new pots and pans it was ok as they were many years old.   Disappointed when my favourite Lagostina pan did not work.    Paderno has now taken the place.   No problem if pot is smaller than the circle.    Purchased GE Profile - Canada.   Love how nice the surface looks - have had it five years now.

This Daily is such a wonderful place to visit.   Very caring, sharing, supportive people who love cruising.   I am looking forward to meeting some on the TA in October.  I have learned many things from this group.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, canals said:

I think you will be very happy treating yourself to an induction range.   I did have to buy new pots and pans it was ok as they were many years old.   Disappointed when my favourite Lagostina pan did not work.    Paderno has now taken the place.   No problem if pot is smaller than the circle.    Purchased GE Profile - Canada.   Love how nice the surface looks - have had it five years now.

This Daily is such a wonderful place to visit.   Very caring, sharing, supportive people who love cruising.   I am looking forward to meeting some on the TA in October.  I have learned many things from this group.

Hey, Gail, glad to see you posting.

• Like 15

We are back from our dermatologist appointments and don't go back until next year. 🎉 She froze one spot on my temple and 3 spots on DH's face.  I mentioned I thought my nose had a slightly darker spot on the tip and she prescribed imiquimod cream to apply 3 times a week and said that should take care of it.  Glad there's no biopsy to await results of.  We made appointments for spring before we leave on our Zuiderdam adventures next summer.  

Mary Kay @cruzn single thanks for your concern about me today.  I'm so glad to hear things are healing up quickly now for you.  That was a process wasn't it?  I understand the numbness problem, too, because you may not know it but in Feb. 2022 I had Mohs surgery on my forehead near the hairline.  For a good year I had numbness that gradually faded away.  I'd say I'm 90% back to normal.  It just feels slightly different on the left side than it does on the right.  Can't really explain it any better than that.  I hope you get your feeling back quicker than I did!

As far as the genealogy stuff goes, keep it!  You never know when "Finding Your Roots" will need something from that tub to show to your future relative. 🤣 I'm always amazed at the records they come across!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser of course, I'd be happy to repost your photos in the morning.  Good luck with Steve's appointment and the Dallas traffic!

Karen @luvteaching it was an honor to read about your dear husband, Phil's life.  I agree that mentioning his doctors, nurses and professional caregivers was very kind of you.  Obituaries are another source of information for future generations to learn who their ancestors were.

Thank you Bruce @aliaschief and Tony @sailingdutchy for the great photos of Valencia.  How wonderful to have relatives there to visit.  I enjoyed all the photos immensely!

Gorgeous photos of flowers Carolyn @Cruising-along.  In addition I want to thank Jacqui @kazu for all her garden photos each week during the growing season.  Talk about green thumbs!!

Welcome to the Daily @canals!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Hey, Gail, glad to see you posting.

Thanks Debbie.    I so remember your help when we thought we were going to Norway.  So nice your cruise will be here before you know it.   Hope you and Sue have the best time.

• Like 14

50 minutes ago, canals said:

Thank you for the info

• Like 9