The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 19th, 2023

richwmn

I guess I have let the day get ahead of me. 

Good afternoon Dailyites!

I had some chores to get done outside before the 100+ degree temp hits.

I'm worried again for my sister friend @DeeniEncinitas with the incoming hurricane on the west coast. My (other) sister lives in Poway, so she's safe and my 2 niece's should be ok as well. Prayers for California!!

Sandi hoping your cold gets better soon. Our friends just got back from a river cruise in Budapest and one of them tested positive for covid. He ended up in the ER with 4 medications! He thought it was just a really bad cold til he tested. His fever was 103. 

Praying for those who are ill. I hope one day to have a mile long list of celebrations to toast to and no one on the care/prayer list.

Our little Oliver has been a good boy, although he is still a petty thief. 

Have a great weekend. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions  regarding getting DH to eat : @ger_77, @Vict0riann and @JazzyV.  I can see how he struggles to try to eat and it seems nothing tastes right.Believe me we have tried any and all suggestions  so far including one mouthful of SOMETHING  per hour.And yes, feeding tubes are discussed. Between the ongoing medication side effects and some confusion remaining from last week's  hospitalization  he is not in a good place yet.I find myself taking a lot of deep breaths.

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 18

Good afternoon from central Texas where it is 100F and feels like 103F.  It looks like I'll be heading to the mailbox during the hottest part of the day.  I have an Amazon package that is out for delivery, and on Saturday's the mail carrier doesn't get here  until late afternoon.  Weekdays, the mail is normally delivered by about 9:30 am.

3 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  Great collection of days and I think I like MM's quote.  Not a fan of Panda but love Chow Mein, drink sounds interesting and never been to western Australia.  What an amazing process for photos!

Gym today and then - who knows.  Will be watching how Hilary progresses as I have to get to Huntington Beach by 0900 Monday morning.  I saw where western WA near Spokane has a fire now.  Wow!  Too many fires!!  It is presently cloudy and "cool" (76F) but humidity is high (~60%).  Predicted to only hit low 90's today which is perfectly fine for me.  I hope we get some rain.

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

Penny, please be careful driving to Huntington Beach.  Hurricanes and tropical storms are not something you want to be driving in, especially in the desert where sometimes there is nothing for miles and miles.  Is there a possibility to reschedule the appointment?  Huntington Beach was one of the places that could be hard hit that was mentioned in the National Hurricane Center update two hours ago.  There is the potential for flooding in low lying areas in California and Arizona.  There might be the possibility that your appointment could be canceled due to storm damage.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Greetings from St. Pierre et Miquelon.   Our good luck with the weather ran out today and it is windy and wet out.  Sue and I ventured into town earlier and found a t-shirt for our sister who used to live in France.  Then we wisely returned to the ship where all the smart people were.  I did take a picture to prove we were here. Also, there are directions to the library in case anyone needs them.

IMG_2917.thumb.jpeg.bd53043d9f3467904597a3cab7deeba1.jpeg

IMG_2915.thumb.jpeg.4b2652f44115f809a957db48d7d1563d.jpeg

IMG_2916.thumb.jpeg.ac1d798c85c7f73fa708b6c68dda6d9d.jpeg

Debbie, I'm glad you and Sue made it into town in spite of the weather.  Thanks you for your pictures.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's a cool 55 degrees F this morning, heading to the high 70's (about 10 degrees cooler than it has been).  But still dry.  

Interesting collection of days, the quote is a good one.  OMG is cilantro in everything now?  I'll pass on the cilantro drink needless to say.  The Chow Mein sounds good but I can't have it (carbs and sodium) but the white wine sounds wonderful so I'll just take a lot of that.  🤣  Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers and Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser for the photos from Broome!  We'll be there on the Grand Australia -- we have a private tour planned to see some dino prints among other things.  I do know it will be HOT!

Today our DS and DDIL are hosting a big family bbq (21 of us) at their home.  It will be the first time most of them have seen it since they moved up from CA and renovated the house.  It should be a lot of fun!  Yesterday I made the 2 apple pies I'm bringing, and today am making the BLT pasta salad that I'll bring too.  I remember the hint to put in less pasta and more Romaine (sorry I don't remember who said that, but I remember the tip).

Sandi @StLouisCruisers I hope your cold is short-lived and you feel better soon.

Nancy @ottahand7 Thank you for sharing more photos of your gorgeous flowers.

I'm thinking of all our Daily friends in Southern California -- stay safe.  We lived in San Diego for a number of years in DH's Navy days, and I do remember a few torrential downpours (one of them was Halloween night when I still took DD trick or treating lol).  I have no idea how it would compare, but know it wasn't the usual weather there.

Maureen @RMLincoln Congratulations on the big decision about the retirement apartment unit.

Jacqui @kazu Thank you for the photos of your beautiful flowers.

Carolyn, I think you will enjoy Broome.  It wasn't too hot when we were there, but then we were there about the end of October on a lovely spring day.  

16 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Saturday. It’s only supposed to be 96F today but the humidity is high. I’m not sure how the hurricane will affect us if at all. Be safe @Nickelpenny when you drive to CA. I hope So Cal doesn’t have too much damage. 

I like all the days and the meal sounds good too. Best I ever had was made by my BFF’s mother, very authentic, and her family owned several Chinese restaurants. One was in SF’s Chinatown but isn’t there any longer. 

Bruce @aliaschief and Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser ,  thank you both so much for your wood chip recommendations. I have so many mesquite chunks left but will now only use them on beef to use them up. I have some chips and I think one is cherry so I’ll try that next. Lenda, we don’t have a smoker we just use the Weber and I put the chips on top of the briquettes after Craig starts them. Sometimes I put them in foil and sometimes I’m lazy and just put them directly on the coals. That’s one reason why I really like the chunks now because they last longer. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I'm glad I could help with the wood suggestions.  If you use chips on charcoal, they will burn faster than the chunks, so you might want to add more part way through the smoking depending upon how much smoke you want.  We switched to chips since too much smoke bothers me.

4 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Thank you for thinking of us, Lenda.  We are prepared here at home in San Diego as best we can be.  We are inland and on high ground, so should be fine.  I'm worried about our neighbors in Tijuana who are also in direct path of the coming tropical storm.  They have a lot of homes on hills that are very susceptible to mudslides.

Thinking of all our Dailyites.  It's been quite a summer for many of us.

I'll report back about our situation when I can.   ❤️

Maxine, I'm glad you are on high ground and inland.  From what I just read on the update from two hours ago, all of Baja could see heavy flooding along with California and Arizona.  Even a tropical storm can dump a lot of rain.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Thanks for the suggestions  regarding getting DH to eat : @ger_77, @Vict0riann and @JazzyV.  I can see how he struggles to try to eat and it seems nothing tastes right.Believe me we have tried any and all suggestions  so far including one mouthful of SOMETHING  per hour.And yes, feeding tubes are discussed. Between the ongoing medication side effects and some confusion remaining from last week's  hospitalization  he is not in a good place yet.I find myself taking a lot of deep breaths.

Terry, I can understand about nothing tasting right.  After DH's second surgery, he complained that all the food in rehab tasted rancid, even things not fried.  He just couldn't eat it.  After a couple of days, I pointed out to him that if the food was really rancid, they'd be getting a lot of complaints, which they were not getting.  They gave him Boost three times a day, not that he drank all of it.  After they discovered the blood clot and removed it, food started tasting normal again.  I'm not suggesting Lou has a blood clot, but that there may be extenuating factors that will clear up, hopefully soon.  In the meantime, take care of yourself, too.  Let the dogs play "nursemaid" to both of you.

11 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Something went right.  Cleaning lady showed up.  Yay!

Terri

👏 👍

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I think you will enjoy Broome.  It wasn't too hot when we were there, but then we were there about the end of October on a lovely spring day.

Thank you Lenda.  Although I don't do well in heat (this will be mid-February so summer there), I intend to get out in all the ports to see as much as I can. I know we'll never get back to this part of the world, and it was canceled 3 years ago because of Covid so this is our last chance.

I can always go back to the ship afterwards to cool off. 🙂  

• Like 22

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Lenda.  Although I don't do well in heat (this will be mid-February so summer there), I intend to get out in all the ports to see as much as I can. I know we'll never get back to this part of the world, and it was canceled 3 years ago because of Covid so this is our last chance.

Carolyn, you might want to check out cooling towels or something similar that you can carry with you and use if you get hot.  I have one for mowing the yard in the summer, but since you soak it in water before using, it would not be practical for a day on shore.  I'm sure there are other items that can do the same thing, only drier.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Maxine, I'm glad you are on high ground and inland.  From what I just read on the update from two hours ago, all of Baja could see heavy flooding along with California and Arizona.  Even a tropical storm can dump a lot of rain.

Lenda

That is so true, Lenda about the tropical storms.  And our area is not built for that kind of water.  There are parts of San Diego that flood during regular heavy rain storms.  As do the freeways in a very heavy downpour.   Also lots of trees with shallow root systems, because we just have never had to worry about tropical storms.

I'm praying this storm cools down considerably before it reaches us.  We shall see..

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday afternoon everyone,

Busy week for me and here on the thread.

I love chow mein, I have a recipe from my Mom that I will have to dig out. This is a good reminder.

I think the wine looks good.

I like potatoes of any shape or form - solid and liquid (I like a good vodka cocktail). 😉

I have 3 family members that are commercial pilots so aviation is popular here.

Looking forward to visiting Broome on the GV Aus next year as @Cruising-along said, @Quartzsite Cruiser and @StLouisCruisers thanks for the pictures and information. I am also taking a tour but I don't think it has dinosauer footprints in it, I'll have to recheck. There have been so many SE on the GV that they all blend together. LOL.

It is concerning that so many people are affected by natural disasters lately; it seems we get a new one every few days!. Those that live in the SW USA please take care and stay safe.

Continued prayers for all having health issues and struggles including sweet baby Murphy, though happy to hear she is improving, @smitty34877 DH struggling with eating and @marshhawk DH.

Hope all of the current travelers continue to enjoy their vacations and stay safe.

@DeniseT good luck with your thesis presentation on Monday....you will do great!!! 

Weather here is back to hot this week; 90-108F heat indexes with heat warnings and air quality alerts. Hard to keep them all straight, they vary from day to day. Still dry.

My thanks to all of the contributors to this thread no matter what the topic. 

Prayers for all of us because we can all use them on some level, IMO. Lots of prayers of gratitude here though.

Please take good care all!

Caron

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, you might want to check out cooling towels or something similar that you can carry with you and use if you get hot.  I have one for mowing the yard in the summer, but since you soak it in water before using, it would not be practical for a day on shore.  I'm sure there are other items that can do the same thing, only drier.

Lenda

Lenda, like minds think alike!  We got the cooling towels and hand-held fans (one of them may attach around your neck, I'm not sure).  We used similar cooling towels on another cruise (Panama Canal maybe?) and they worked great.  After seeing photos of one of the world cruise bloggers using these fans, I'm not worried how I'll look I just want to be comfortable.  😉  

36 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Looking forward to visiting Broome on the GV Aus next year as @Cruising-along said, @Quartzsite Cruiser and @StLouisCruisers thanks for the pictures and information. I am also taking a tour but I don't think it has dinosauer footprints in it, I'll have to recheck. There have been so many SE on the GV that they all blend together. LOL.

Caron the company doing this tour is "Broome And Around".  It should be on the roll call spread sheet.  I've had my eye on that tour for awhile but had to wait for them to open up bookings for next year.

Well the BLT Pasta Salad is finished and it looks SO good!  DH has been drooling since he saw it.  I'm sure it will be a hit at the BBQ today. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Broome is a quaint little town. We enjoyed it very much. There are places to get out of the heat in the town. 

I use those cooling towels for golf. They work very well. You could refresh it in a restroom. Some people used those neck fans. Drink plenty of water and wear loose light colored clothes.  

I too like to see everyplace I can. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, cunnorl said:

@dobiemom, @GTVCRUISER, @TiogaCruiser and all others in the path of Hillary, please be safe. Listen to the news reports and dont take unnecessary risks. These storms can change very quickly. I have lived with hurricanes and tropical storms for 35 years, so I know these things should not be taken lightly.

I am joining in these warnings and to @Nickelpenny regarding driving and checking forecasts carefully.

Like you, Charlene, we have tropical storm and hurricane threats every year.  while some can turn into not a worry, many can be devastating and it’s wise to take precautions whenever there is a threat.

All of my planters and anything that can blow away will be put away (as much as it pains me) before I cruise in October.  I’m not taking a risk of needless damage.

Please, please everyone, heed the warnings and stay safe.

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Our little Oliver has been a good boy, although he is still a petty thief. 

Kazu was a thief too.  In case it helps, I got a small plastic container with a removable cover and everything he liked to steal went in there - remote controls, glasses, pens, etc.).   Most grow out of it and Kazu grew out of most but the fascination with things that go crunch - like pens, remote controls and calculators so they went in the container whenever we weren’t around.  Worked well for us.

@Denise T thinking about you as you do your last minute prep for your dissertation defence.  I just know you will do well and wish you the best!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

😉  

Caron the company doing this tour is "Broome And Around".  It should be on the roll call spread sheet.  I've had my eye on that tour for awhile but had to wait for them to open up bookings for next year.

@Cruising-along, Carolyn, I just checked and I am on the same SE in Broome; I labled it Broome Panaramic Town tour in my calendar. So dinosauer prints included...😊

• Like 13

@rafinmd Thanks fir the info on the Maryland rescue/ recovery team. I hope they have a defined work period then return because it is such taxing work. I had younger colleagues who were on the NM Disaster Medical Assistance Team who deployed to post-hurricane and and tornadoes, and one who did K-9 search and recovery at the Pentagon post-9/11…. prayers for all the rescue workers. 

@Denise T Shout out to you for your exciting day Monday!  You’re the expert on your work, you’ll do great!  After all your presentation materials are organized and ready, I hope you can step away from the prepping tomorrow and relax with something fun. Remember to breathe!  

@smitty34877 Those deep breaths you mentioned are just what you need. If DH needs nutrients or fluids medical may have to step in, and that just might be what you both will benefit from. There is a horizon out there even when it’s hard to see from the low spots our paths take us through. You are doing an amazing job walking beside your loved ones. 

We tried to kayak today. It would have been refueling after the drain of decisions. But the reservoir had a warning sign of a toxic algae bloom!  It might take several weeks to clear.  Disappointing but only that. Just turned around and came home. Thankfully I have other things to look forward to!  

Absolutely love the flowers pictures!  Thank you!  

Watched the S.Cal and SW warnings. It’s so hard to predict the impacts but it looks like a LOT of rain is coming. What that causes is so localized. If you will be affected know the local vulnerabilities, stay informed so you have Situation Awareness.  Have your emergency food, water, batteries, extra phone charger system even if it’s your car.  And as my Canadian friends wisely remind me, stay calm and carry on!  Keep us posted!  We’ll be sending out the love and light!  
m—

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Just got home from a training held about an hour away in one of the canyons that was burned out a few years back. The last 20 minutes of class we started seeing a few uniformed sheriffs, and I figured as it was a  county building, that they had a training too. As we left the leader told us they were setting up an evacuation center in the building. There were about 45 or so sheriffs waiting outside.

News reports say several major roads have been preemptively closed, and there’s rain from a separate storm in Palm Springs and flooding in Riverside ( not sure where.) The brunt of the storm is expected now to begin mid morning tomorrow.

@Nickelpenny, here’s the website for CalTrans for road conditions:  https://roads.dot.ca.gov/roadscell.php

You might really want to rethink the trip this weekend. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good evening all, back from dinner at a nice family restaurant. This morning I took my brother for a train ride on the Strasburg RR and had them announce that it was his birthday and the coach sang to him 

It’s been a rough day here in Berks County. Sadly there have been 2 drownings in local waters and 1 auto death during a road race. 🙏💔

Just a reminder Nieuw Statendam is up next on Smithsonian channel.

Have a good night.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening all, back from dinner at a nice family restaurant. This morning I took my brother for a train ride on the Strasburg RR and had them announce that it was his birthday and the coach sang to him 

It’s been a rough day here in Berks County. Sadly there have been 2 drownings in local waters and 1 auto death during a road race. 🙏💔

Just a reminder Nieuw Statendam is up next on Smithsonian channel.

Have a good night.

What a nice treat for your brother.  When we lived in Kemblesville, we took all our visitors to ride the Strasburg RR.  We also went often with our young DDs.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Penny, please be careful driving to Huntington Beach.  Hurricanes and tropical storms are not something you want to be driving in, especially in the desert where sometimes there is nothing for miles and miles.  Is there a possibility to reschedule the appointment?  Huntington Beach was one of the places that could be hard hit that was mentioned in the National Hurricane Center update two hours ago.  There is the potential for flooding in low lying areas in California and Arizona.  There might be the possibility that your appointment could be canceled due to storm damage.

I am really watching the progress of the storm.  No decision yet on if I will go or even which way (through Yuma or through Blythe).  It is speeding up which might help me.  I figure the decision will be made around this time tomorrow or at least by 2100 tomorrow.  Or I could even leave tomorrow morning.  Let's see where good 'ole Hilary is and what the conditions are.  But I really want to thank you for your concern. ❤️

Edited by Nickelpenny
addition
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I am joining in these warnings and to @Nickelpenny regarding driving and checking forecasts carefully.

I am watching the weather really closely.  I don't have to make a decision just yet; hopefully Hilary will continue speeding up and by the time I need to get on the road she will be passed where I will be driving.  Or everything will be closed and I will be cancelling.  Thanks for your thoughts!!  ❤️

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Prayers for all our Dailyites who live in Southern California.  Hope you are able to stay far from the storm.

If you can fly to Savannah I have two bedrooms and am willing to put up three people.

Just email me.

I will pick you up in Savannah.  you can stay here until the storm is over.

Terri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I don't usually follow this topic, but we in Spokane are hoping desperately that Hilary spares southern California and sends buckets of rain our way.   Eastern Wasington (state) has some devastating fires and no end in sight.  your thoughts and prayers would be welcome

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4