Americans going on an Australian cruise

bugbuddybee

A few questions hoping to find answers to.

1.  I see we need a Visa to travel into Australia but how long does the Visa last?

2.  Do Americans need the travel insurance that I have seen on some threads?  

3.  When is the best time to do an Australian cruise?

Thank you 

It's not a Visa, it's a travel authorization...very easy to get...maybe 15 minutes on line and a small fee. Be careful...go to the official site, others will charge you much more.

When you get to the official site, it will tell you the duration...I think it is 6 months.

Yes, you want the insurance. 

"Best time" in what way? Keep in mind Australia is at least the size of the continental US...the weather and the cruising and travel conditions vary widely. Or were you asking about other criteria for visiting there. Hopefully you can see why this is a very vague and subjective question. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It's not a Visa, it's a travel authorization...very easy to get...maybe 15 minutes on line and a small fee. Be careful...go to the official site, others will charge you much more.

When you get to the official site, it will tell you the duration...I think it is 6 months.

Yes, you want the insurance. 

"Best time" in what way? Keep in mind Australia is at least the size of the continental US...the weather and the cruising and travel conditions vary widely. Or were you asking about other criteria for visiting there. Hopefully you can see why this is a very vague and subjective question. 

Download the Australia ETA app. Very easy and quick. ETA Valid for one year with multiple entries at up to 3 months per trip.

Hopefully, you’re really not thinking of NOT getting travel insurance!!! If you don’t, you’ll be the poster child for “pennywise and pound foolish.” Even then, make sure you have high limit credit cards should you end up in a hospital, most of which require paying up front. 

• Like 1

Hi bugbuddybee, Aussie local here.

As for the best time to cruise.... Are you planning on doing a cruise to Australia or doing one when you get here? As others have said, the 'best' time is somewhat subjective and is dependent on where you are thinking of going. If you can be a bit more specific, I'm sure other Aussie's will wade in with recommendations. By the way, travel insurance is highly recommended and New Caledonia in the South Pacific has made travel insurance mandatory if you were thinking of doing a South Pacific cruise.

12 hours ago, bugbuddybee said:

1.  I see we need a Visa to travel into Australia but how long does the Visa last?

Thank you 

I'm considering doing a transpacific cruise from the U.S. to Australia, so you're asking the same set of questions that I have.

I don't have many answers for you that haven't been covered by others, but the season for transpacific cruises quite limited.  Most of them TO Australia are in September and October.  Most FROM Australia are in March and April.  The exceptions are generally segments of world cruises.  That means that cruises WITHIN Australia and to New Zealand and other (relatively) nearby islands on the mainstream lines sail between October and April.

Good luck with your due diligence and good luck on your upcoming cruise(s).

You have answers to your 3 questions but I just want to recommend Cruise Critic’s Australia and New Zealand Cruisers board.  The posters were invaluable when I was planning our April 2023 Round Australia cruise plus an extra week in New Zealand.

• Like 3

I would suggest that folks cruising to/around Australia/NZ try to find the time and money to add some land time to their trip.  Both Australia and NZ have much to offer the land traveler.  The huge size (and distances) of Aus do mean focusing on certain areas.  NZ is much smaller and easier to cover with a few weeks of driving (car or caravan).  

In the case of NZ, many of the best parts are not reachable on cruises which is why we live driving trips on South Island.   With a car you can drive to glaciers as well as our very favorite area of Queenstown.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1. AFAIK a visa isn’t required for Americans. We didn’t get one when we traveled to Australia.

2. Again, AFIAK, travel insurance isn’t required. We also didn’t get that when we went to Australia. Our medical insurance covers us out of the country.

3. seasons are reversed. We went in the fall so it was the spring there. It was pleasant. It’s a big country, so it’s hard to name a ‘beat time’ to go. Spring and fall are the mostly likely to be mild in various climates.

On 8/19/2023 at 5:16 PM, bugbuddybee said:

Thank you 

@bugbuddybee

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Ports of Call - Australia & New Zealand forum.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Just to clarify...... as I stated in a previous post, at this point in time if you are cruising to New Caledonia travel insurance covering Covid (and medical evacuation) is mandatory.

From the P&O Australia website:

The New Caledonia government requires that all visitors hold valid international travel insurance, which means if your cruise itinerary includes a call to New Caledonia, before you board, you must show printed proof of having valid international travel insurance. You may also be requested to present proof of insurance during the cruise. Any guest who is unable to provide proof of valid travel insurance on a cruise visiting New Caledonia, will be denied boarding.

21 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

1. AFAIK a visa isn’t required for Americans. We didn’t get one when we traveled to Australia.

You don't mention when you traveled to Australia but Americans (and citizens of other nations) are required to get an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA).  See https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601.

As others have posted it is a quick, inexpensive process done on-line.

Edited by capriccio

12 hours ago, sanger727 said:

2. Again, AFIAK, travel insurance isn’t required. We also didn’t get that when we went to Australia. Our medical insurance covers us out of the country.

3. seasons are reversed. We went in the fall so it was the spring there. It was pleasant. It’s a big country, so it’s hard to name a ‘beat time’ to go. Spring and fall are the mostly likely to be mild in various climates.

Travel (or trip)  insurance is meant to cover/reimburse for disruptions, cancellations, inconveniences etc encountered during your trip. It is not medical insurance, that is a different type of policy. 

We always get travel insurance, especially with more costly and longer trips abroad such as this. There is so much that can happen! And having that coverage to protect our expenditures gives us great peace of mind. 

Our medical policy is not in effect outside of the country, so we also get an annual medical policy specifically for travel. 

And yes, we did apply for and get the ETA well in advance, this is a necessity. 

• Like 1

One more point that may be in play depending on when you want to cruise out of Australia.  

CURRENTLY!!  as best I can tell, the Federal Gov't of Australia does NOT require either COVID Testing or Vaccinations to enter the country

HOWEVER! boarding a cruise ship in an Australian port requires both current vaccinations and a negative COVID test 24hrs (I think) prior to boarding the cruise ship.  

Unsure of when this policy (being invoked by all of the Australian States (as I understand)) may change.

PLEASE, if someone has more current information on this issue post here and I will apologize for posting incorrect information.

Thanks,

Greg

9 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

Travel (or trip)  insurance is meant to cover/reimburse for disruptions, cancellations, inconveniences etc encountered during your trip. It is not medical insurance, that is a different type of policy. 

We always get travel insurance, especially with more costly and longer trips abroad such as this. There is so much that can happen! And having that coverage to protect our expenditures gives us great peace of mind. 

Our medical policy is not in effect outside of the country, so we also get an annual medical policy specifically for travel. 

And yes, we did apply for and get the ETA well in advance, this is a necessity. 

Comprehensive travel insurance is always a matter of personal preference. I consider myself self insured. Over the years I’ve saved enough money by not purchasing this expensive insurance that losing money on an uninsured trip is a better deal. 

the only thing I really concern myself with is medical insurance. The worst case scenario w trip insurance is to lose the cost of the trip. The worst case w medical insurance will bankrupt you

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2023 at 1:36 AM, gdlamberth said:

PLEASE, if someone has more current information on this issue post here and I will apologize for posting incorrect information.

You are correct, however there is some informed speculation that these requirements may disappear soon. However nobody will be surprised if they don't, so don't bet on it.

• Like 1

Hi,

The Travel Authorization is good for 1 year.  If your passport expires in less than1 year the travel authorization will expire the date of your passport expiration.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by irisb
correct wording

Thanks everyone for the information,  We are looking at the end of may of 2025 to do the great barrier reef.  This timing is in regards to a college and high school graduations.  We would be staying a few nights before and then after the cruise.  

Thanks again

On 8/22/2023 at 1:36 AM, gdlamberth said:

Unsure of when this policy (being invoked by all of the Australian States (as I understand)) may change.

The policy has definitely changed. There are now no covid testing or reporting requirements for boarding cruise vessels in Australia. I think there may still be a testing requirement if you turn up to the boarding showing symptoms, but that's about it. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/27/2023 at 4:47 PM, ceeceeDee said:

Great time of the year to do the Great Barrier Reef. No too hot and humid

We're doing a GBR cruise in Feb 2024.  Is that a good time?  I'm running into issues booking independent excursions.  Most companies want full payment and won't refund in case we miss the port. 

10 hours ago, calicakes said:

We're doing a GBR cruise in Feb 2024.  Is that a good time?  I'm running into issues booking independent excursions.  Most companies want full payment and won't refund in case we miss the port.

It's almost impossible to do independent excursions to the Reef on a GBR cruise, the timings just don't work out. The only real option is to take a ship excursion.

February is the height of summer. It's the hottest and most humid time of year, but apart from the very occasional cyclone is nothing to put you off.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Hi Calicakes. Sinbad's comments are right on the money, particularly the weather. I lived in Cairns for 15 years and February is hot and humid. Think Miami in September and that will give you an idea. It also can be wet but should be tapering off in February. BTW, I never experienced a full blown cyclone (was on the fringes a couple of times) in those 15 years so 'occasional' is a fair comment.