On Equinox in a Sky Suite (after butler change)

DingoMom

55 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We will be boarding the Apex two weeks from today in Rotterdam. It will be interesting to see how the Team will work for our SS. I know from other posts that there is a separate Retreat line for check in at the terminal. We will be at the terminal by 11:00am after our drive from Amsterdam.

Shouldn't be a problem.    My only recommendation is to make sure you have luggage tags printed.   I have even hear some had been slowed down prior to the Retreat Check In Line due to the way they handle luggage.     We found a Print/Copy place in Amsterdam to print ours (we were staying in an AirBnB)

• Like 1

We're in a Sky Suite in the Retreat on the Celebrity Edge soon, so to summarise, nothing in the in suite minibar is included ? We need to go to the The Retreat Lounge to get a coke zero or a bottle of water ? 

In that case it is quite a difference to the MSC Yacht Club which we usually sail. We are very excited to try the Retreat for the first time and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the MSC Yacht Club. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

We're in a Sky Suite in the Retreat on the Celebrity Edge soon, so to summarise, nothing in the in suite minibar is included ? We need to go to the The Retreat Lounge to get a coke zero or a bottle of water ? 

Ask your room steward when you first board the ship.  Sometimes they are willing to refill the soda and water from the minibar and not charge you.  If they say it is not included, i would suggest a serious conversation with the Retreat Host or the Retreat Manager about why you have to ferry free soda and water from the lounge to your room when the same items are already in your room. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Ask your room steward when you first board the ship.  Sometimes they are willing to refill the soda and water from the minibar and not charge you.  If they say it is not included, i would suggest a serious conversation with the Retreat Host or the Retreat Manager about why you have to ferry free soda and water from the lounge to your room when the same items are already in your room. 

From everything I have read from current SS passengers after the new Butler changes, Celebrity has cracked down and will not let the Butler team or room attendants provide free water and sodas anymore. Passengers are being told to go to the Retreat lounges to get their water and sodas. I will be on the Apex next week in a SS and I intend to find out for myself, but the Retreat tote bags will be good for hauling items from the Lounge to our cabin. I just hope we can get the mini fridge emptied by our Butler team so there is no confusion over what is free and not free.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

When people pay as much for a cruise as for a Retreat SS, they often expect some simple things to be included and convenient. 

Even in a non-suite, on any cruise line, I have always been able to have our room attendant remove the items in the mini fridge.  I do not consider, like some here, that this service request is above and beyond what should be expected. We like the fridge for keeping bottled water cool and even a bottle or two of wine that we bring onboard. We do not drink soda so any in the fridge is useless for us. It was nice in the past to have our butlers keep our room stocked with bottled water and even some wine, but that seems to anger some that we got that. Not a problem to go to the Retreat lounge and stock up from there as we will be there anyway for our drinks.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

In that case it is quite a difference to the MSC Yacht Club which we usually sail. We are very excited to try the Retreat for the first time and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the MSC Yacht Club. 

Interested in your comparison of the two.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I will be on the Apex next week in a SS and I intend to find out for myself, but the Retreat tote bags will be good for hauling items from the Lounge to our cabin.

We will be doing the same thing on the Millie in less than 2 weeks. One solid trip to the lounge should fill my fridge for a while!!

• Like 2

I will be waiting to find out from those cruising soon if they have any problems with getting the cabin steward, whatever they may be called now, to remove all the stuff in the cooler that is NOT included, so that you may put YOUR items inside the cooler. 

• Like 1

How is carrying water and soda back to your SUITE considered luxury?  I don't understand.  It's already in the suite.  You can't drink that but you can go to the lounge and grab the identical item to tote it back to your suite....  What? Did someone at XX stay up all night to think that up?

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

How is carrying water and soda back to your SUITE considered luxury?  I don't understand.  It's already in the suite.  You can't drink that but you can go to the lounge and grab the identical item to tote it back to your suite....  What? Did someone at XX stay up all night to think that up?

foraging like the rest of us..crazy!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

John -

I have a feeling for the crunch down is caused by rogue Butlers that were stocking refrigerators in the hope of a good tip in violation of company policy and after everyone passing this on via CC it became an non-official practice and expectation.  I don't believe I've ever seen this written as a perk and the price slips clearly state contents in the refrigerator are not covered by drink packages.

Prior to Covid in CS we were always told that anything in the Refrig and the two big bottles were at an extra charge.   Some butlers told us that most of the new butlers follow the company policy that don't provide but he wants to make our life easier since we already have a drink package.

Maybe our expectation were different but even in a CS which we sail 80% of the time we never even considered asking for them to do it.   Instead we would just pick up a can or bottle in Retreat or any bar.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 39august said:

I will be waiting to find out from those cruising soon if they have any problems with getting the cabin steward, whatever they may be called now, to remove all the stuff in the cooler that is NOT included, so that you may put YOUR items inside the cooler. 

inquiring minds want to know

Our experience regarding the mini-bars in Sky Suites has been when a butler would tell us that we could consume the water, sodas and beer in the mini-bar the butler made it clear that it was a special favor offered to us -- and the price list in the mini-bar confirmed that it was a special favor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have a feeling for the crunch down is caused by rogue Butlers that were stocking refrigerators in the hope of a good tip in violation of company policy and after everyone passing this on via CC it became an non-official practice and expectation.  I don't believe I've ever seen this written as a perk and the price slips clearly state contents in the refrigerator are not covered by drink packages.

I agree. There is also the sharing of suite benefits such as unlimited free laundry that resulted in a limit for upper suites. The sommelier in Luminae will bring drinks regardless of the drink package (move up bids) hoping for a good tip. We have had Butlers bring us plenty of extras beyond what is specified and we always give a nice tip to show appreciation. I can only imagine what those who tip up front receive. 

Well, for prices I’ve seen for SS and CS suites, the mini fridge should be included. For that money, it is included on some lines. Also, in 2018 when we cruised in a CS on the Eclipse, consumption from the mini fridge WAS included in the fare. Also, we could ask the butler to stock it with what we wanted. It’s true, I swear!

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

We are those dreaded middle class people who have gotten lucky and cruised in suites three times on paid upgrades. Each time, the delightful butler asked us what we'd like in the mini fridge, and made sure we had Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, water, and an occasional Newcastle beer. 

I didn't know that wasn't suposed to be the case until reading it here lately. All three acted like it was part of the service. 

We have asked our steward to empty the fridge in regular cabins so we could put stuff in ourselves. They've always put the mini bar chargeable stuff under the bed. 

• Like 4

for comparison:

stocking of bar and mini fridge with one's  preferred items by concierge/ butler were standard at Sandals..which was truly all-inclusive other than the spa and shops.

once again Celebrity shows it is chintzy!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Our experience regarding the mini-bars in Sky Suites has been when a butler would tell us that we could consume the water, sodas and beer in the mini-bar the butler made it clear that it was a special favor offered to us -- and the price list in the mini-bar confirmed that it was a special favor.

Exactly. This is what several of us have posted since Mini-Fridge-gate began. Our first SS included zero mini-fridge items. It didn’t even include Luminae because that restaurant opened a few months later. We had to ask our butler to remove the mini-fridge items so we could gather our own items to store within it. No big deal. That’s what we do when we’re in Veranda/Concierge/Aqua cabins. Despite having been offered mini-fridge sodas, beers and waters of our choice (within reason/if available) beginning in our SS in December 2019, I have never seen this published in official Sky Suite amenities. IMO we’ve had an unexpected bonus, but the bonus has ended. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Also, in 2018 when we cruised in a CS on the Eclipse, consumption from the mini fridge WAS included in the fare. Also, we could ask the butler to stock it with what we wanted. It’s true, I swear!

Sounds like you probably had the 'Drink & More' upgrade on your package.

Even back then the mini-bar was not otherwise included.

21 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Even in a non-suite, on any cruise line, I have always been able to have our room attendant remove the items in the mini fridge.  I do not consider, like some here, that this service request is above and beyond what should be expected.

I do agree on that point, it is a request we have made in the past and it usually results in the mini-bar stock ending up in a plastic bin bag under the bed, but I'm happy with that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, for prices I’ve seen for SS and CS suites, the mini fridge should be included. For that money, it is included on some lines. Also, in 2018 when we cruised in a CS on the Eclipse, consumption from the mini fridge WAS included in the fare. Also, we could ask the butler to stock it with what we wanted. It’s true, I swear!

We sailed in a CS for the 1st time also in 2018 on the Infinity.  We asked the butler to empty the mini bar so we restock it with soda, water and the wine we brought on with us.  He told us to use what was there, asked if we wanted the beer and wine (we didn’t) and he restocked water and soda during the cruise as well as leaving 2 bottles of wine. 

• Like 2

We usually cruise in Sky Suites and remember when these had a Room Steward, Assistant Room Steward AND a Butler. We are not demanding people but appreciated never having to waste time hunting down staff to ask for a simple snack later in the day, handle the laundry (and find the lost item), answer a question, or arrange for room service breakfast the next day (always presented with a smile and Butler insisting he pour the coffee for us). We would always see one of the assigned room staff in the hall whenever we went too and from our room and it was super easy to make requests such as for a maintenance issue, needing more towels, obtaining a pen/paper, or asking for an extra daily activity program at turndown. In the "good old days" we didn't have to wait on hold on the phone (hoping our request would actually be fulfilled and in a timely manner), schlep to the Retreat lounge or keep searching up and down the hallway for staff. We are paying premium prices for EASY and that is what I want on a vacation. Plus, we appreciated the Butler surprising us with flowers, an unexpected snack, asking us if we wanted afternoon tea in the room, etc. that made us feel pampered. Now there is just an overworked glorified Room Steward (costing us triple the gratuities and more than double the cruise price as previously) and the illusion of a Retreat Butler. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

We usually cruise in Sky Suites and remember when these had a Room Steward, Assistant Room Steward AND a Butler. We are not demanding people but appreciated never having to waste time hunting down staff to ask for a simple snack later in the day, handle the laundry (and find the lost item), answer a question, or arrange for room service breakfast the next day (always presented with a smile and Butler insisting he pour the coffee for us). We would always see one of the assigned room staff in the hall whenever we went too and from our room and it was super easy to make requests such as for a maintenance issue, needing more towels, obtaining a pen/paper, or asking for an extra daily activity program at turndown. In the "good old days" we didn't have to wait on hold on the phone (hoping our request would actually be fulfilled and in a timely manner), schlep to the Retreat lounge or keep searching up and down the hallway for staff. We are paying premium prices for EASY and that is what I want on a vacation. Plus, we appreciated the Butler surprising us with flowers, an unexpected snack, asking us if we wanted afternoon tea in the room, etc. that made us feel pampered. Now there is just an overworked glorified Room Steward (costing us triple the gratuities and more than double the cruise price as previously) and the illusion of a Retreat Butler. 

Yeah welcome to the Motel 6 of cruise lines, Celebrity.  They'll leave the light on for ya.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 5