Wifi free anywhere on Princess ships

Candycane10

I am aware that you have to purchase internet for your cabin.  My question is, is it available anywhere on the ship for free.  Been a few years since we cruised.  I remember there were Internet cafes and some areas on the ship where you could pick it up.  I’m guessing NO. 🤣 now since there is a charge. 

6 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

No free wifi, except for the Princess.com site which works without paying for wifi.

I just watched the Discovery Princess tour and I believe I still saw an Internet Cafe?  That would still count as "free internet" in response to the question, yes?  The question was not "wifi" it was "internet" I believe.

5 minutes ago, deltahog said:

I just watched the Discovery Princess tour and I believe I still saw an Internet Cafe?  That would still count as "free internet" in response to the question, yes?  The question was not "wifi" it was "internet" I believe.

There is an “Internet cafe”, but generally it is to get assistance with devices, login issues, etc. There are also computers for use to access princess website and the web version of the app (can’t remember what they call it). In the event someone didn’t have their own device, they could probably use those computers for general use after purchasing service of course.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

No free internet AFAIK even at the cafe... you still have to pay for a wifi plan to use the cafe.

I'm definitely going to print this out and take it then.

"Our Internet Café is filled with computers so it’s easy to access your mail account or browse the Internet for world news, sports and stock trading. Or bring your own electronic devices and access the Internet through our improved onboard wireless service. The Internet Café is open 24 hours a day."

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/activities/internet-cafe.html

8 minutes ago, deltahog said:

"Our Internet Café is filled with computers so it’s easy to access your mail account or browse the Internet for world news, sports and stock trading. Or bring your own electronic devices and access the Internet through our improved onboard wireless service. The Internet Café is open 24 hours a day."

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/activities/internet-cafe.html

Yes you can use the Internet cafe to access Princess.com but you will need a purchased internet plan from Princess to do what is described in what you quoted.  Like others have said, there is no free internet onboard.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 5

The question was about wifi...if free wifi is available on a Princess ship. 

The short answer is Yes...most anywhere.  Wifi is what powers the Princess app that so many are raving at, and about.

What is NOT free is internet access.  You must pay to have  your account access the internet.  So if you want to check your email or facebook or other things that you routinely use at home, your device and onboard account must have internet access....for which there is a charge.  If  you want to use the messaging feature of the Princess app while you are onboard your ship, that is free....or included, depending on your viewpoint.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Yes you can use the Internet cafe to access Princess.com but you will need a purchased internet plan from Princess to do what is described in what you quoted.  Like others have said, there is no free internet onboard.

Hm they should have mentioned that then.....which I will mention to them.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Hm they should have mentioned that then.....which I will mention to them.

Mention it to whom, the Princess employee working in the Internet cafe?  That person had nothing to do with the language on the website. Go ahead and complain here. You have. Thats fine. But drop it after that. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, deltahog said:

I do not see the word "FREE" anywhere in what you posted.  You can use their desktop computers to do what they say, but you have to connect to the internet service purchased from Princess to do anything except go to the princess.com website.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Nothing there says that the Internet cafe is free. As long as they have had an Internet cafe you have needed to log in to your account to access internet sites. At one time Elite members could access X amount of minutes for free but that was several years ago

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Candycane10 said:

I am aware that you have to purchase internet for your cabin.  My question is, is it available anywhere on the ship for free.  Been a few years since we cruised.  I remember there were Internet cafes and some areas on the ship where you could pick it up.  I’m guessing NO. 🤣 now since there is a charge. 

I have been cruising for a "few" years, but have never had "free" internet until I reached Platinum.  Since then, they have removed this perk and provided a discount for your devices.

You will have free access to Princess.com  I wish they would provide free access to a few news channels.  

You may use the INTRAnet for iMessaging, FaceTiming, and the What's Up app (not 100% sure of this since I am not a user).  

I also believe there is a daily (more expensive) rate.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have been cruising for a "few" years, but have never had "free" internet until I reached Platinum.  Since then, they have removed this perk and provided a discount for your devices.

You will have free access to Princess.com  I wish they would provide free access to a few news channels.  

You may use the INTRAnet for iMessaging, FaceTiming, and the What's Up app (not 100% sure of this since I am not a user).  

I also believe there is a daily (more expensive) rate.

I had also heard the Princess intranet would allow for use of the iPhone iMessaging, FaceTime and WhatsApp but we were not able to do so on our last sailing.  

6 minutes ago, strobellayjam said:

I had also heard the Princess intranet would allow for use of the iPhone iMessaging, FaceTime and WhatsApp but we were not able to do so on our last sailing.  

Don't those apps connect on the internet not intranet? If you wish to contact someone onboard then you can use their chat function as long as the other person accepts your 'invitation' and adds you to their group. That's what I've done

If you wish to contact someone not onboard you need the internet

(I can't even contact my CVP via Princess.com onboard, maybe because it conflicts with O.N.E?)

You’re not able to browse the Internet for free on Princess.  You have to pay to connect to the MedalionNet Internet Wi-Fi to have Internet access.  This is true whether you want to browse on your personal device or through a public computer in the Internet Café.  In the past, Elite members got free minutes for Internet browsing, but this is now an obsolete benefit.

If you connect to MedallionNet Wi-Fi and don’t pay, all you will have access to is the Medallion App, princess.com, and some Apple iOS communication apps, like iMessage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Don't those apps connect on the internet not intranet? If you wish to contact someone onboard then you can use their chat function as long as the other person accepts your 'invitation' and adds you to their group. That's what I've done

If you wish to contact someone not onboard you need the internet

(I can't even contact my CVP via Princess.com onboard, maybe because it conflicts with O.N.E?)

The apps can run on the internet and intranet as well, depending on which IP ports are left open on the ship intranet.  Many eons ago when we sailed RCL Anthem of the Seas, we had the ability to use iMessage, Google Chat and Whatsapp to communicate with our fellow shipmates and those back home.  

I find the Princess app chat function clunky and my biggest pet peeve is that a notification does not pop up when a message is received.  That being said, it could be an argument for the fact that you're on the ship to "disconnect" 😄 

• Like 1

I have received iMessages from friends while they have been onboard a Princess Cruise and DIDN'T have an internet package.  I always purchase internet so unable to tell you yes or no.  

I have been with friends (on a cruise) who have hit and misses with iMessaging without a package. Would that be user error?  Possibly.

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

let's just get this clear from the start - On CC at least - Wifi and internet are the same thing and no need for an "expert IT consultant" to correct the difference - OK?

Looks like you failed to get your wish. 🤪

For some it is hard not to try to inform folks regarding the difference between WiFi and Internet access. So many just don't seem to understand. For me, I cringe mightily every time someone calls the wallpaper on their device a "screen saver". No, no, no, no, no. Not at all the same thing.

At work I had issues with people who referred to their computer as "the hard drive". x I would ask them if they drove their "carburetor" to work that morning. I actually had a user who thought her computer was "the modem" and another who thought the monitor was the computer. I had to smile and pretend they weren't making me crazy. Some refused to learn and continued with their improper terminology. I wasn't even allowed to shoot them.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

49 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Looks like you failed to get your wish. 🤪

For some it is hard not to try to inform folks regarding the difference between WiFi and Internet access. So many just don't seem to understand. For me, I cringe mightily every time someone calls the wallpaper on their device a "screen saver". No, no, no, no, no. Not at all the same thing.

At work I had issues with people who referred to their computer as "the hard drive". x I would ask them if they drove their "carburetor" to work that morning. I actually had a user who thought her computer was "the modem" and another who thought the monitor was the computer. I had to smile and pretend they weren't making me crazy. Some refused to learn and continued with their improper terminology. I wasn't even allowed to shoot them.)

Looking forward to meeting you F2F on the Discovery in April. DW still calls her computer the "Hard Drive" and to keep the peace I remain silent (we have separate computers cuz back in the day when we tried to share, she started rearranging my files - new computer for her). You're showing your age asking about carburetors but that's ok as between two of my cars there are four carburetors. The other two daily drivers are fuel injected. Hmm ... I wonder if hard drives are carburetors, is the cloud then fuel injection?

• Haha 2