Surprised there's no story up yet regarding couple stuck in Cozumel

klfrodo

2 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

No. I’m saying they engaged in an activity that has a huge chance both for something bad to happen and the outcome could be catastrophic. And were unprepared. Harsh is what they are putting their families through. 

Unprepared as far as travel insurance goes, I agree.  But what control did they have over a hit and run?  Stupid?  I dont think so. Accidents happen all the time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Unprepared as far as travel insurance goes, I agree.  But what control did they have over a hit and run?  Stupid?  I dont think so. Accidents happen all the time.

I’m not saying it was stupid. I’m saying they did an activity that has foreseeable risks. Yes, accidents happen. But you can’t get hit if you don’t rent a scooter on a port day. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Not what anyone wants to happen on vacation. On our cruise last week we went to the port talk event and the cruise director repeatedly warned and stressed the dangers and begged please, please don't rent scooters at the ports. 

On my Mexican Riveria cruise this summer, the CD said over and over and over again that we should not rent scooters.. they are very dangerous and they've seen way too many passengers with injuries in recent times. 

• Like 7

On an excursion in Aruba last year we decided on doing a UTV because we wanted to try it once in our lifetime and we had enough OBC to pay for it.  They made us sign waivers excluding them from any damages or Injuries that might occur.  We had to ride on the city streets for about 2p minutes before we got to the course. We were suppose to do 25 to 30 mph but the caravan was doing 40 to 50.  Should have realized what was to come.  I'm glad we returned in one piece.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @Purvis1231🙂

News article From Friday September 15th

(Click Here) - Hit-and-run cruise excursion crash traps 2 Tampa women in Mexico

🍹

Right I know there were stories out there. I saw it on the Florida news yesterday but the original poster indicated there were no stories about this incident (although they linked a video about it.) 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

I’m not saying it was stupid. I’m saying they did an activity that has foreseeable risks. Yes, accidents happen. But you can’t get hit if you don’t rent a scooter on a port day. 

I stopped watching when I heard they wrecked on rented scooters. Just stupid to do that.

Your words above.

14 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I stopped watching when I heard they wrecked on rented scooters. Just stupid to do that.

Your words above.

Actually, you’re right, I did say that. Let me be clear, it was (and is) a stupid decision to rent a scooter on a port day. Any accident that comes from that, and the consequences of that accident, are the result of poor decision making. Does that mean they deserved it? Nope. But their poor decision making resulted in this. Whether they had insurance or their passports isn’t the issue to me. And they have now shifted a burden onto their families. Grats on that.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There have been hit and runs in my town with pedestrians who’ve been severely injured and even killed, it might not have been because they were riding scooters. Even if they had insurance it most likely wouldn’t have paid the hospital bill, but paid up later to reimburse the couple. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Babr said:

Since we are talking about medical claims - on page 26 under Limitations and Exclusions, “The following exclusions apply to….. Emergency Accident and Sickness Medical Expense.”

Loss caused by or resulting from:

Number 9 - Being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants

That means drunk, and it means it is not covered.

My apologies for being a jerk...sorry...

• Like 2

On 9/15/2023 at 6:08 PM, Itried4498 said:

Medical travel insurance is generally extremely limited in terms of both payouts and the scope of what is covered.  You'd have to pay a hefty sum for a plan to paid the medical bills in full for such accident (the article mentions that the hospital won't do anything beyond stabilize them since they lack medical insurance... even with travel insurance, it would cover nothing more). 

This couldn't be further from the truth. Medical travel insurance is much less expensive than comprehensive travel insurance and covers much more. 

On 9/16/2023 at 5:00 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Driving in many countries is much more dangerous than driving in the US due to different traffic laws/lack of enforcement. Driving a scooter compounds the issue by making the injuries of an accident much worse. Yes, I think that renting a scooter and driving it around in most of the world is reckless and asking for an accident to occur. 

• Like 6

On 9/16/2023 at 4:18 PM, Babr said:

All you have to do is read the policy, and then you’d know it too.

See the link above for an example. Page 14 #9 for travel benefits; page 26 #9 for medical benefits. Then check any other policy you might consider buying.

Thanks for this. Either this wasn't in the policies that I purchased or I missed it completely, but it is still great info to have.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 8:30 PM, Beav1279 said:

On my Mexican Riveria cruise this summer, the CD said over and over and over again that we should not rent scooters.. they are very dangerous and they've seen way too many passengers with injuries in recent times. 

The same was said during my trips to Bermuda. Also mentioned that maintenance and upkeep might be questionable.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 5:00 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Renting a scooter in Cozumel would be stupid for me.  I don't speak great Spanish or have a familiarity with Mexican driving habits or laws.  Traveling out my home country without a passport or insurance would also be stupid for me.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't deserve help or sympathy, but those things would definately be stupid things to do.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 4:06 PM, LatinaInTexas said:

On our cruise last week we went to the port talk event and the cruise director repeatedly warned and stressed the dangers and begged please, please don't rent scooters at the ports. 

We were actually advised against it by a tour guide in Cozumel. She said that all you needed to get a drivers license there was a pulse and some Pesos and traffic accidents involving tourists happened a lot more frequently than we hear about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2023 at 2:00 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

We have no idea what events lead to this accident (e.g. were they responsible -- partially impaired, driving eccentrically, etc. -- or driving very cautiously and simply victims of an unfortunate accident).  But we do know that they most likely on the same scooter together.  Two people sharing an e-scooter anywhere -- but especially a place like Mexico where streets and sidewalks are just not suitable -- is negligent.  

I'm stunned by the number of responses from people who insist travel medical would cover this.  Every few weeks I read about how some European tourist riding solo on an e-scooter here in West Hollywood got into an accident... and their supplemental travel insurance refused to cover it due to risk.  But I guess two people sharing a scooter in Mexico is okay because US-based insurers aren't hungry for proits hahah.  Guess that's why the news outlets that generally covered this story are blogs that link toward commission-based curise insurance... ever wonder why most travel blogs/ fourms are sponsored by cruise insurance companies?  There's an old episode of The Simpsons in which a character Bill Gates declares "I didn't get rich by writing a bunch of checks."

Like I mentioned before, medical is cheap in Mexico.  Mexican hospitals cannot legally hold you "hostage" for unpaid debts.  Get the American Embassy involved and you'll be free to go almost immediately.  Since it's difficult for them to collect payment once you've left, they'll almost surely let you go for a partly sum that's a fraction of what they ask for.  Hospitals haggle, like anywhere in Mexico.  And it'll be cheaper than any insurance you could buy -- without the hassle of paying and seeing reimbursement.  And hassle it'll be, since most of these policies only cover what's medically necessary.  And what's medically necessary there... isn't the same as medically necessary here.

This couple didn't need travel insurance - they needed to know their rights.

Edited by Itried4498
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

I haven't heard about any update on the two women.

I doubt there will be an update.  The story was picked up by a local TV station.  A few industry blogs seized it as an opportunity to remind people of the importance of travel insurance (which they conveniently link to and conveniently receive a handsome commish from).  It's not on social media, etc. where you would normally get updates.

10 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

I haven't heard about any update on the two women.

Probably won't, it's a flash in the pan story that will quickly be replaced by another big flash. The media does a poor job of following up on stories to let us know the outcome.

When I was in the Navy I can't count the number of people who rented some form of transportation in a port and got hurt because of it. Fortunately for them medical was available onboard the ship and if the injury was too serious the Navy took care of all of the transfer paperwork, etc. When I was an aviator our aircrew would usually spend a few days in Bermuda as an alert plane. So many guys were getting hurt renting scooters that the captain ordered us not to rent them or to be involved in any dangerous activity, since if a crewman got hurt the entire plane would end up grounded until they were replaced.

So, there are activities one should avoid in port especially if one has chosen to forego a passport and travel insurance. When we used to travel without either of those we did everything we could to minimize any risk of having to leave the ship. BUT travel insurance by itself might not be sufficient, since they will only reimburse you once you've paid for treatment, so one still might be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Probably won't, it's a flash in the pan story that will quickly be replaced by another big flash. The media does a poor job of following up on stories to let us know the outcome.

When I was in the Navy I can't count the number of people who rented some form of transportation in a port and got hurt because of it. Fortunately for them medical was available onboard the ship and if the injury was too serious the Navy took care of all of the transfer paperwork, etc. When I was an aviator our aircrew would usually spend a few days in Bermuda as an alert plane. So many guys were getting hurt renting scooters that the captain ordered us not to rent them or to be involved in any dangerous activity, since if a crewman got hurt the entire plane would end up grounded until they were replaced.

So, there are activities one should avoid in port especially if one has chosen to forego a passport and travel insurance. When we used to travel without either of those we did everything we could to minimize any risk of having to leave the ship. BUT travel insurance by itself might not be sufficient, since they will only reimburse you once you've paid for treatment, so one still might be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

You can minimize your risk, but you cannot make it go away entirely.

We averted a disaster on our cruise last month. DW went to medical as she was constipated. And when we were back home, she went to her own doctor for that reason. And then soon after, she was in an ambulance, an emergency room, and finally the hospital as the reason for the constipation was a twisted bowel. If this has progressed quicker than it did, we would have found ourselves with her needing medical evacuation. And our location when she went to the medical center on this ship was a sea day between Norway and Iceland. 

This is not like don't rent a scooter. It would have been something we could not have avoided.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You can minimize your risk, but you cannot make it go away entirely.

We averted a disaster on our cruise last month. DW went to medical as she was constipated. And when we were back home, she went to her own doctor for that reason. And then soon after, she was in an ambulance, an emergency room, and finally the hospital as the reason for the constipation was a twisted bowel. If this has progressed quicker than it did, we would have found ourselves with her needing medical evacuation. And our location when she went to the medical center on this ship was a sea day between Norway and Iceland. 

This is not like don't rent a scooter. It would have been something we could not have avoided.

That is true, medical emergencies certainly do happen but for most people that risk is low. One can still minimize risk by avoiding certain things.

• Like 1