Most amazing ship you have ever cruised on?

kaz828

Not saying it is the best ship I've ever been on, but Symphony of the Seas certainly had the 'wow factor'. From the sheer size of it, Central Park and boarding the ship to find ourselves in a shopping mall!

• Like 2

We have been fortunate to be on 18 different cruise ships (many multiple times) and could probably find reasons to mention all of them as a favorite in one way or another.  But probably our most favorite was our first - and likely for the very reason that it was our first - and that would be RCCL Sovereign of the Seas in 1991. At the time she was arguably the most innovative and spectacular cruise ship afloat.  By todays standards and comparisons of ships cruising today, maybe not so much.  But she will always hold a special place for us as our first.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

But probably our most favorite was our first - and likely for the very reason that it was our first - and that would be RCCL Sovereign of the Seas in 1991. At the time she was arguably the most innovative and spectacular cruise ship afloat.  By todays standards and comparisons of ships cruising today, maybe not so much.  But she will always hold a special place for us as our first.

I will never forget my first RCI cruise on Monarch of the Seas.  It was the most beautiful ship I had ever seen, and I have very fond memories of that cruise.  

But to answer the Op's question, I will have to pick Allure of the Seas as most amazing.

All of these are really not very interesting IMHO but are a bit more of the same and personally sort of boring.   Try a 152 year old Maine schooner that holds just 22 people and is without an engine so she is totally dependent on the wind.  She was the 1st, best and most unique ship I have ever sailed on.  My 2nd most interesting would be a recent cruise on a the Clipper Cruise line Star Clipper.  Again a sailboat that goes under sail as much as possible although she does have an engine and holds about 150 people.  Cruising at an 18 degree heel is a real hoot.  I will take sail over power any day.

DON

11 hours ago, kaz828 said:

I know it can be subjective but curious what ship and why?

On one level, all the ships I've been on have been amazing.  I sometimes take time to think about the logistics involved and the hundreds of millions of dollars thrown at one sailing vessel and I'm in awe of everything about it...

I tend to not favor the newest or biggest ships, so I haven't tested out the latest and the greatest.  However, I do have a cruise booked on Royal's Ovation of the Seas next year.  For several reasons, I'm expecting that ship to amaze me.  We'll see if it does.

Back in 1999 we sailed a RC ship and I can’t remember the name. They had a huge “mall” open to several decks and did parades down the center. I thought that was cool. 
The very first ship I sailed on was by far the worst. 1991- Costa Riviera. It had peeling wall paper, all the workout equipment was broken and it just felt dirty. I think it was the last cruise before being decommissioned. This was before they were bought by RC. I still remember the stupid song they made us sing every night “C c c, Riviera C, c c c la la la la la la”. That was it. Clever lyrics- not!

12 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I will never forget my first RCI cruise on Monarch of the Seas.  It was the most beautiful ship I had ever seen, and I have very fond memories of that cruise.  

At the time Monarch was the newest sister ship in the Sovereign class and the only of the three we never sailed on.  I recall then that Sovereign was sailing the Eastern Caribbean itinerary, Majesty was the Western Caribbean (our 2nd), and Monarch was the Southern.  Unfortunately we never did that itinerary when she was sailing it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I sailed solo on Royal Caribbean's Song Of America in May 1983 and May 1984. The ship which was only thirty four thousand tons was small in today's standards. The ship did rotating seven night cruises to both the eastern and western Caribbean from Miami. The first sailing I had an oceanview cabin by myself. The second year the ship was fully booked and I ended up sharing a cabin with a senior citizen who was cruising with a group from California. The first cruise I attended the singles get together on the first night. There were eighty five single women and fifteen single guys.That first cruise hooked me on cruises to this day. I have done close to fifty sailings since that first cruise in 1983.

• Like 2

Our favourite ship changed as we aged. In our younger days, our preference was SS Oriana back in 1977. A truly great liner for crossing the ocean and an amazing party ship.

These days it would be the Viking Sun, which brought back many great memories of the exceptional service of earlier cruises. Good food, exceptional bright decor, lots of relaxing and quiet nooks throughout the ship, interesting lectures and an amazing crew.

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Tough question since we cruised on over 60 ships.  But the ship we are on now, Explora 1 is a candidate since it has no main dining room, no main theater, etc.  Very different and gorgeous.

You're going to do a full write-up/review of this once you're back, right?  Several curious minds want to know! 🙂

8 minutes ago, aungrl said:

You're going to do a full write-up/review of this once you're back, right?  Several curious minds want to know! 🙂

No.  We have been doing live reports on the EJ blog.  I do not write normal ship reviews on CC because the format is too rigid and folks have no way to comment, ask questions, or disagree.

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No.  We have been doing live reports on the EJ blog.  I do not write normal ship reviews on CC because the format is too rigid and folks have no way to comment, ask questions, or disagree.

Hank

Can you send me the link to the blog?  Or tell me how to locate it?  Thank you!

13 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Can you send me the link to the blog?  Or tell me how to locate it?  Thank you!

Just look at Explora Journeys (under cruise lines) and you quickly see the blog and some other posts.  There are now several CC posters onboard and contributing.

• Thanks 1

So many ships...   So little time haha.

Out of the 5 ships we have been on the Anthem of the Seas was pretty amazing mostly because of the technology on the ship.  The entertainment was impressive.  We loved the layout and the ability to find quiet places on a very full ship.  

• Like 1

I’ve been on about 75 cruises on 30 to 40 different ships 

1970’s Rotterdam a totally elegant ship

1980’s Norway - only ship I sailed on 7 times and on honeymoon, was biggest ship

1990’s Sovereign of the seas , amazing ship

2000’s Oasis of the seas , the best entertainment 

2010’s Seaside MSc, loved there yacht club, ship within a ship

2020   Edge great suite perks my only penthouse 

• Like 1