Using the corridor outside your room for stroller storage

20 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

This is an epidemic now that the 2nd housekeeping service has been removed. There were trays on the floor throughout the entire length of the cabin corridors on the Allure this past summer. 

On my Oasis cruise in September, I noticed many trays on the floor in our hallway. There seems to be no "sweeps" from what used to be many crew members that would get these items.

One very clear memory was walking the 5th floor running deck for almost two hours with my wife. We try to do 6 miles between 8am and 10am. I saw a plate of what looked to be beef tenderloin on the starboard side about midship on an area that would be used to board the boat. We were returning to Bayonne and the sun was very bright on that side of the ship to the poiint there was a reflection from the plate. It had to be from the night before. There was no way anyone walking by would not notice it.  I joked to my wife,"One of the officers left it there to see how long it would take for anyone to notice and take action."

This was not an idle comment. In the Navy, anyone who walked past a glaring problem signaled to command leadership that something was amiss. Even if we could not fix the problem, we would bring it to the attention of someone who could address it.

We completed our walk two hours later and it was still their despite dozens of crew members working on the deck vacuuming water from the deck channels, painting the area, and maintaining the lifeboats. Crew in dress uniforms walked by it and nothing happened.

Each day we noticed something small but very obvious. A cup and plate on the aft port side just before the stern wake view. It was there our whole two hour walk.

It left an impression on me.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

So... I'll be Devil's Advocate on scooters. 

In non-accessible rooms that aren't a suite or larger, parking a scooter in the room might wind up blocking the exit for the room's occupants.

Do you block the room, or partially obstruct a hallway?

We park wife's scooter in our Standard Balcony room all the time. We do have to move the coffee table (if there is one) out to the balcony. We leave it either against the bed or the door depending on what we're doing at the time. Not sure why some people think they have to leave them in the hall.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, GJustice said:

Not sure why some people think they have to leave them in the hall.

Just a thought in this.  Maybe they are rentals and they treat them like their cars, they park them “outside”.  For the amount I understand they cost, wouldn’t they want them in their room when not being used.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, frank808 said:

Sure miss those double wide hallways. Have not been back on an Oasis class ship in probably 4 years or so. RCL doesn't sail that class out of the west coast much! 

Hope to cross cruise paths again with you and your wife.

As do we !!

We have done some O class since they started sending one to NJ. About 100 miles away. None scheduled since suite prices are too high for us and the value isn’t there. Would probably jump on a bargain but …

We did book a HAL Hawaii cruise in January 2025 R/T out of San Diego! Looking forward to seeing your beautiful state — with no long flight and lots of sea days !!!

All the best,

mac_tlc

I normally just stack plates on the coffee table and the attendant always gets them. 

One time I had something with stinky onions I didnt eat all of and put it on the hallway.  Felt guilty about it and almost walked it to the windjammer or somewhere.  But Lots of other people where doing it.  I just sat it near another set of dirty dishes.  It disappeared pretty quickly.  I've heard you can phone room service to clear out old trays from the hallway.

I'm on vacation, but I try not to be a slob.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

So... I'll be Devil's Advocate on scooters. 

In non-accessible rooms that aren't a suite or larger, parking a scooter in the room might wind up blocking the exit for the room's occupants.

Do you block the room, or partially obstruct a hallway?

Back in June on QOTS, there were almost always three or four scooters overnight in our hallway on 10. 

I haven't been in a cabin yet, interior or balcony, on Voyager, Freedom, Quantum, or Oasis classes that couldn't fit at least one scooter (possibly two) inside the room without blocking the path out.  Simply move the coffee table into the closet for instance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

On my Oasis cruise in September, I noticed many trays on the floor in our hallway. There seems to be no "sweeps" from what used to be many crew members that would get these items.

One very clear memory was walking the 5th floor running deck for almost two hours with my wife. We try to do 6 miles between 8am and 10am. I saw a plate of what looked to be beef tenderloin on the starboard side about midship on an area that would be used to board the boat. We were returning to Bayonne and the sun was very bright on that side of the ship to the poiint there was a reflection from the plate. It had to be from the night before. There was no way anyone walking by would not notice it.  I joked to my wife,"One of the officers left it there to see how long it would take for anyone to notice and take action."

This was not an idle comment. In the Navy, anyone who walked past a glaring problem signaled to command leadership that something was amiss. Even if we could not fix the problem, we would bring it to the attention of someone who could address it.

We completed our walk two hours later and it was still their despite dozens of crew members working on the deck vacuuming water from the deck channels, painting the area, and maintaining the lifeboats. Crew in dress uniforms walked by it and nothing happened.

Each day we noticed something small but very obvious. A cup and plate on the aft port side just before the stern wake view. It was there our whole two hour walk.

It left an impression on me.

We also love walking on deck 5...best walking/running track in the fleet. 

* Thank you for your service.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:20 AM, steveru621 said:

We have been told cabin attendants are trained not to remove anything from the cabin unless it's in a trash can or a towel on the floor.  Some cabin attendants are more flexible than others.  Our current attendant removes glassware and plates.  Others have told us specifically, put your stuff in the hall, I don't want to get in trouble having to interpret passenger intentions

We had no issues getting plates removed from the room. We'd leave them, and any glasses we brought back to the room over the course of the day on the counter, and stack the plates and throw a napkin over them. There was no mistaking we were done with them. She came by twice a day with ice, so even when she wasn't "cleaning" the room, she still removed the plates when she came in. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 7:28 PM, fsjosh said:

Oh wow. It'd been a shame if it got moved to another floor. 

Totally agree -- aside from causing trouble for others (which is the theme of this thread), I would never leave my stroller, scooter, or anything else out in the hallway because I'd be afraid it'd disappear /be damaged /be filled with dirty dishes!  That seems like common sense to me.  

On 10/11/2023 at 12:31 AM, kitkat343 said:

... we bring a folding stroller with us and leave it in the cabin ... A folded stroller can go in the closet.

An umbrella stroller could also slide under the bed easily.  

On 10/11/2023 at 8:10 AM, steveru621 said:

99% of the time they are placed in the hallway,  Some do make the trip to a storage area, but not always.

Thing about dishes is, We have no clear instructions on what to do with them.  This is exacerbated by the reduction in housekeeping -- no one wants dishes sitting around in his or her room for the whole day.

A good solution:  They could add small dish stations in the hallways, so people would have a good choice about what to do with dirty dishes.  

10 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Speaking as the devil; I don’t care if you are toast in an emergency, but if you make me toast, there will be hell to pay. 

Sounds mean, but -- yeah.  

4 hours ago, GJustice said:

We park wife's scooter in our Standard Balcony room all the time. We do have to move the coffee table (if there is one) out to the balcony. We leave it either against the bed or the door depending on what we're doing at the time. Not sure why some people think they have to leave them in the hall.

Keep in mind that all scooters aren't equal in size.  My stepfather has a large scooter that he uses around the house + a travel scooter that folds down to practically nothing.  

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just a thought in this.  Maybe they are rentals and they treat them like their cars, they park them “outside”.  For the amount I understand they cost, wouldn’t they want them in their room when not being used.

If they're rentals, I'd think they would WANT them in the cabin so that they aren't damaged or don't disappear.

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

A couple different keys operate several variations and models (similar to golf carts).  Those rentals left in the hallway become convenient late-night entertainment, particularly after a long day.  And dropping them off in various locations on the ship is entertaining as well. 😉 (Please note:  This is a 'one-time event', as scooters don't seem to be left in the hallway a second time).

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

6 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Are there more people that need scooters, than accessible rooms?

There are way more scooters than the number of accessible rooms and the number of rental scooters seem to be growing every year.  I bring my own and  scooter but do not leave it in the hall.   No matter the category of cabin, there is plenty of room to store it inside; I can always fit it through the cabin door so never need to leave it in the hall.  (My scooter is the same kind that is the usual rental model so I know that there is no reason to not store it in the cabin.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 3:20 PM, steveru621 said:

Sometimes it seems obvious to passengers.  The problem, training

We have been told cabin attendants are trained not to remove anything from the cabin unless it's in a trash can or a towel on the floor.  Some cabin attendants are more flexible than others.  Our current attendant removes glassware and plates.  Others have told us specifically, put your stuff in the hall, I don't want to get in trouble having to interpret passenger intentions.

We have never not had our dishes taken from our cabin in 40+ cruise. 

• Like 5

My husband is in a motorized wheelchair that is a bit wider than a standard manual chair.  It is difficult enough to get him anywhere due to his disability so if something is in a hallway blocking his access it is probably going to get moved by me.

• Like 5

Wow! This thread just started on Tuesday.

It seems like we have another hot button issue that has made an impact on many cruisers.

I see another revenue stream from RCI as they put the "Boot" on strollers, scooters, wheelchairs and anything else left in the hallways.

It would be a hoot to see a 100lb yellow boot holding a ten pound stroller hostage for "a release" fee.

Do not get me started on the Philadelphia Parking Authority. They would eagerly jump on an idea like that if there was a little bit of payola involved.

😧

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2023 at 10:08 AM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

This is an epidemic now that the 2nd housekeeping service has been removed. There were trays on the floor throughout the entire length of the cabin corridors on the Allure this past summer. 

It sounds like the cruise line should be hiring workers to go up and down the corridors to pick up all of the trays that people leave outside their doors now that the 2nd housekeeping service has been removed.  We chose morning service, since we always have our coffee, etc. delivered in the morning, and it's taken from our room after we've left for the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

It seems like we have another hot button issue that has made an impact on many cruisers.

I see another revenue stream from RCI as they put the "Boot" on strollers, scooters, wheelchairs and anything else left in the hallways.

It would be a hoot to see a 100lb yellow boot holding a ten pound stroller hostage for "a release" fee.

Do not get me started on the Philadelphia Parking Authority. They would eagerly jump on an idea like that if there was a little bit of payola involved.

😧

Rather than a just a “boot”, I’d like to see the offending “vehicle” towed out of the hallway to a secured “lot.”  The hallway would be clear for others and the “release” fee could be paid at the “lot.”  I assume the Philadelphia Parking Authority could find an appropriate payola scale for towing a stroller🤣

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

As do we !!

We have done some O class since they started sending one to NJ. About 100 miles away. None scheduled since suite prices are too high for us and the value isn’t there. Would probably jump on a bargain but …

We did book a HAL Hawaii cruise in January 2025 R/T out of San Diego! Looking forward to seeing your beautiful state — with no long flight and lots of sea days !!!

All the best,

mac_tlc

Yep with RCL crazy prices it is driving wife and I towards MSC YC bookings. I will say we are about 50/50 between RCL and MSC now. Although MSC has raised their YC prices it is still a bargain compared to Sky class with RCL.

Wife and I just got off Radiance last week and it was great. Only had to fly one way to Vancouver and 6 wonderful sea days coming home. Sure beats even flying Polaris back home!

Keep in touch regarding your HAL cruise here to Hawaii. When you stop in Honolulu wife and I would love to show you around. Just hope that we are on island when your ship docks in Honolulu.

Stay safe and happy cruising!

Frank

On 10/11/2023 at 6:21 PM, Billy Baltic said:

If I heard 7 short blasts, I’d easily get over scooters too. 

Unfortunately plenty of people would be hard pressed to accomplish that. 

15 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I haven't been in a cabin yet, interior or balcony, on Voyager, Freedom, Quantum, or Oasis classes that couldn't fit at least one scooter (possibly two) inside the room without blocking the path out.  Simply move the coffee table into the closet for instance.

Question for a traveling companion—no problem getting the scooter through the door on regular cabins? 

Regarding the strollers in hallways. It sure would be a bummer if someone had a little too much to drink and “accidentally” spilled something in there. 

• Haha 2

On 10/11/2023 at 3:08 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We noticed on our last cruise that any dishes we left in our room were put outside our room, presumably by the stateroom attendant. I can only think that now they have more rooms to look after the new procedure is for someone from the kitchens to collect all the dishes left outside by the attendants 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

😧

The PPA and me have a very bad relationship. I swear they have a gps on my vehicles, and somehow if they were booting on the high seas, they'd find me! 

• Haha 2