Looking for different cruise line suggestions

The Sunset Glow

Sorry, this is a little long but I want to give enough info so that your suggestions would be more fitting.

We have been cruising mass market lines since 2000 but have become disenchanted and looking for something different. We tried RCL, Celebrity, Carnival and HAL early on and settled with RCL as it fit our preferences best at the time. We have sailed RC about 30 times. We typically sail in balconies but will choose a suite for special occasions or when the price is right. Before the pandemic we were noticing the food quality dropping and started to pay for specialty dining some nights. The last couple of cruises this year the included food has completely lost its luster to us and even the specialty restaurant offerings have declined while the price has gone up.

I believe the combination of the drastic drop in food quality and sailing the same cruiseline all this time has caused us to lose the wow factor we once felt and I think it's time to try something new. We should have changed things up about 5 years ago when we first started to feel this way but the Loyalty program perks from being Diamond plus with Royal made us hang on longer than we should have (They know how to get ya 😉). We are now ready to let that go. Now, my hubby loves the FlowRider so I'm sure we will go back to RC every now and then but we want to try something else that offers a more suitable experience for us and I, honestly, don't know where to start and need some guidance.

We are just regular people, not rich by any means, but we want something more inclusive. We don't drink heavily but we do enjoy an occasional drink by the pool and evening wine or cocktails. We are not foodies but the MDR and buffet food is not cutting it for us anymore. We are also at the stage where a quieter, less chaotic environment is appreciated and we prefer to dine as a couple instead of with a group of strangers. We enjoy getting dressed up for some formal dinners but would not want to deal with ball gowns or tuxedos or HAVE to dress formal on certain nights (formal optionial would work - sometimes you just don't feel like getting dressed up). We wold also be ok with no formal nights at all. We both still work full time and typically cuise around 3-4 weeks per year.

What are your experiences with different lines and do you have any suggestions on what might be a good fit for us? I appreaciate any and all feedback☺️

• Like 1

I would try any of the premium or luxury lines that are in your budget. I think the smaller ships (under 1,000 passengers - not so small but when some are looking at 4,000+ pax I think that’s small!) offer a quieter atmosphere.   Usually fewer children because they don’t cater for them with climbing walls, etc.  The luxury lines are mostly all balcony now and depending on the line have a number of restaurants to choose from.   Get those brochures and start searching!   Good luck.  

• Like 2

If you replace HAL with Princess then we have sailed the same lines.  Princess will have the quieter atmosphere.  Food will likely be similar to RCI or Celebrity.  Formal night is pretty casual.  Can't recommend any others because I haven't experienced any others.    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

What are your experiences with different lines and do you have any suggestions on what might be a good fit for us? I appreaciate any and all feedback☺️

I know you said you tried other lines early on, but a lot has changed.  I highly recommend you try Celebrity or HAL again, and on their new ships.  Plus, on Celebrity, they will match your RCI status.  The ships are beautiful, and it'll be a nice break from the same-ole, same-ole.  

I'll go against a couple of the recommendations, suggesting trying the more luxury or more premium lines. I don't totally know you, but I'm basing that on hubby's love for the Flowrider.  😉  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

We are just regular people, not rich by any means, but we want something more inclusive. We don't drink heavily but we do enjoy an occasional drink by the pool and evening wine or cocktails. We are not foodies but the MDR and buffet food is not cutting it for us anymore. We are also at the stage where a quieter, less chaotic environment is appreciated and we prefer to dine as a couple instead of with a group of strangers. We enjoy getting dressed up for some formal dinners but would not want to deal with ball gowns or tuxedos or HAVE to dress formal on certain nights (formal optionial would work - sometimes you just don't feel like getting dressed up). We wold also be ok with no formal nights at all. We both still work full time and typically cuise around 3-4 weeks per year.

Sounds like you are describing Regent Cruises.  It really isn't as expensive as many people might think it is.  Price it out.

9 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

There are lots of excellent choices with lines that have ships that have <1000 people.  Give one of them a try.  They are more expensive than the Genormous of the Seas monstrosities but when you figure out what is included in the package they are not as expensive as they seem.  The only time that I will ever sail on one of the big ships is when I don't have a good small ship option or when I am taking the grandkids w/o their parents on a cruise to Alaska.  People have suggested several options.  My go to small ship used to be Azamara and we would sail w them again if the itinerary was right.  Right now however we lean to Viking.  

DON

13 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I know you said you tried other lines early on, but a lot has changed.  I highly recommend you try Celebrity or HAL again, and on their new ships.  Plus, on Celebrity, they will match your RCI status.  The ships are beautiful, and it'll be a nice break from the same-ole, same-ole.  

I'll go against a couple of the recommendations, suggesting trying the more luxury or more premium lines. I don't totally know you, but I'm basing that on hubby's love for the Flowrider.  😉  

Thanks Aquahound. I've thought of trying Celebrity and HAL again because they were good back then, it's just we were younger with young kids so RCI was a better fit. The food on both Celebrity and HAL were better than RCI back then but RCI was still very good so it worked for us. I've heard the food on all the mass market lines have gone downhill but to what extent, I don't know. That's my biggest concern - the food quality. Then I'd say it's the atmosphere - more laid back and less chaotic. So I think Celbrity and HAL might be a better atmosphere than RCI but what about the food? Have you sailed on them recently to give an opinion?

Hubby does love the flowrider and we are just common people. But I think his obsession is waning a bit so we are ready to try other things. I'm not sure a luxury line would suit us but I'd be willing to try it if the price was right. Oceania might be an option.

BTW To me, you still hold the award for "Best thread on Cruise Critic"  with your tale about the lost camera. Especially loved the part about the turtle😂 Great detective work on your part👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Try MSC, particularly in the Yacht Club.  MSC will also status match, but the perks for the highest match are trumped by the Yacht Club perks.  I like MSC, although I don’t sail YC, just regular cabins.  EM

We've been interested in trying MSC for awhile now. How is the food in the MDR and buffet? Do you need to sail in the YC to get quality included food?

Are they still matching black card for Diamond plus on RC? And what perks do you get for that?

HAL's food seems to be still getting good reviews. Currently the Celebrity board is all in a tizzy over the food having taken a serious downturn lately. I haven't sailed with either yet but I have looked at the new Celebrity MDR menus and would agree they are mostly uninspiring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spudd said:

HAL's food seems to be still getting good reviews. Currently the Celebrity board is all in a tizzy over the food having taken a serious downturn lately. I haven't sailed with either yet but I have looked at the new Celebrity MDR menus and would agree they are mostly uninspiring.

See that's my concern with Celebrity - it's under the RCG umbrella and the head guy (who used to be the CFO I think) is cutting everything to save money. He is killing the brand. Celebrity used to have great food - maybe I need to check out the Celebrity boards.

HAL had the best food of all the cruiselines we've tried but we haven't sailed with them since 2006 so a lot has probably changed over there as well. Guess I will check their boards as well ☺️

13 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Try MSC, particularly in the Yacht Club.  MSC will also status match, but the perks for the highest match are trumped by the Yacht Club perks.  I like MSC, although I don’t sail YC, just regular cabins.  EM

Totally agree , in yacht club you are treated like royalty, butler , great lounge with live music, great outdoor area with pool and jacuzzis along with outdoor restaurant for breakfast and lunch . If you want to save money yacht club even has inside cabins with same perks. Because of your rccl status you will get a 5 percent discount plus a free specialty restaurant, veterans get a ten percent discount.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, donaldsc said:

There are lots of excellent choices with lines that have ships that have <1000 people.  Give one of them a try.  They are more expensive than the Genormous of the Seas monstrosities but when you figure out what is included in the package they are not as expensive as they seem.  The only time that I will ever sail on one of the big ships is when I don't have a good small ship option or when I am taking the grandkids w/o their parents on a cruise to Alaska.  People have suggested several options.  My go to small ship used to be Azamara and we would sail w them again if the itinerary was right.  Right now however we lean to Viking.  

DON

Thanks Don. I have been wondering about Viking - don't know much about them though. What's the big differences when compared to the mass markets lines? Obviously, they are more expensive but what is included etc.?

There are fans (cheerleaders) for every mass market line (we have cruised on most) but the reality is they are intended for the masses and none of them has

outstanding cuisine.  If you want better food, less crowding, and no queues, then you must be willing to pay more money for luxury lines (ie Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, Explora Journeys, etc).  

As a simple example, we just got off Explora 1 (this morning). Yesterday we enjoyed our fill of unlimited and included Moet and Chandon Champaign.  Last evening I ate in their Lido (there are also 5 decent sit down restaurants) where I decided to have a seafood dinner.  So

I started with some crab claws, jumbo shrimp, and a few oysters.  I then had them grill me a couple of lobsters and added a few slices of grilled lamb.  This is all the norm, on that ship, and we could get that stuff any evening (and

much is also available at lunch).  In the restaurants there is plenty of fresh sushi, various steaks. Caviar dishes, etc.  But you do pay more for this kind of ship, but if you want quality you must pay the price.

A compromise are the premium lines like Oceania, Azamara and Viking.  

The quality products are out there for those willing to pay the price.  There are also some “ship within a ship” options such as the MSC Yacht Club, NCLs Haven Suites,  and Cunards Grill suites that come with decent cuisine.

Hank

We have sailed on Celebrity many times and have just completed a trip on the Silhouette in their "Retreat" class cabin. The food in their dining room (Luminae) was outstanding. It was truly fine dining. We never ate in the MDR but did frequent their buffet for breakfast and found it to be very good though very crowded. I have to take exception to Viking ocean cruises being labeled as premium. We sailed on one just before Covid and found nothing that was any better than the usual mass market ships. It was truly disappointing and was the only ship we have ever experienced a Norovirus outbreak.

Edited by zabs

4 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

We've been interested in trying MSC for awhile now. How is the food in the MDR and buffet? Do you need to sail in the YC to get quality included food?

Are they still matching black card for Diamond plus on RC? And what perks do you get for that?

The Yacht Club has controlled access for a private restaurant, a private lounge, a private pool deck with mini-buffet, Butler service, priority access to just about everything.  It is a ship within a ship but you can still access the things the whole ship has on offer.  The food in the private restaurant, the poolside buffet, and the lounge snacks are a cut above.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There are fans (cheerleaders) for every mass market line (we have cruised on most) but the reality is they are intended for the masses and none of them has

outstanding cuisine.  If you want better food, less crowding, and no queues, then you must be willing to pay more money for luxury lines (ie Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, Explora Journeys, etc).  

As a simple example, we just got off Explora 1 (this morning). Yesterday we enjoyed our fill of unlimited and included Moet and Chandon Champaign.  Last evening I ate in their Lido (there are also 5 decent sit down restaurants) where I decided to have a seafood dinner.  So

I started with some crab claws, jumbo shrimp, and a few oysters.  I then had them grill me a couple of lobsters and added a few slices of grilled lamb.  This is all the norm, on that ship, and we could get that stuff any evening (and

much is also available at lunch).  In the restaurants there is plenty of fresh sushi, various steaks. Caviar dishes, etc.  But you do pay more for this kind of ship, but if you want quality you must pay the price.

A compromise are the premium lines like Oceania, Azamara and Viking.  

The quality products are out there for those willing to pay the price.  There are also some “ship within a ship” options such as the MSC Yacht Club, NCLs Haven Suites,  and Cunards Grill suites that come with decent cuisine.

Hank

But could you get a hot fudge sundae like I did at the Local (specializing in comfort food) on the Prima? 😊🤣

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

But could you get a hot fudge sundae like I did at the Local (specializing in comfort food) on the Prima? 😊🤣

I am more of a caviar guy.  When it comes to ice cream, I prefer decent gelato, which can only be found on a few cruise lines (ie MSC and Princess).

Hank

• Like 1

Thanks Don. I have been wondering about Viking - don't know much about them though. What's the big differences when compared to the mass markets lines? Obviously, they are more expensive but what is included etc.?

Funny ... I was about to recommend you take a look at VIKING ...... they have become our 'choice' after cruising a BUNCH of lines since the mid 80's (see signature). 

what is included

- beer and wine at dinner and lunch and the full 'drink package' is $25 per person per day <last RCCL cruise it was $75>

- specialty restaurants at no extra charge

- all veranda cabins on Ocean ships . . .

- one 'included' excursion in every port .... 

- WiFi / Internet access

- spa facilities (pools / snow room / sauna) <ocean>

- depending on your room category - restock of in-room fridge with snacks/soft drinks/ and maybe even booze (category)

I'd suggest you check out VIKING and check out BOTH ocean and RIVER.

We did a river first ... now two oceans and are booked for another river ......

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

Funny ... I was about to recommend you take a look at VIKING ...... they have become our 'choice' after cruising a BUNCH of lines since the mid 80's (see signature). 

what is included

- beer and wine at dinner and lunch and the full 'drink package' is $25 per person per day <last RCCL cruise it was $75>

- specialty restaurants at no extra charge

- all veranda cabins on Ocean ships . . .

- one 'included' excursion in every port .... 

- WiFi / Internet access

- spa facilities (pools / snow room / sauna) <ocean>

- depending on your room category - restock of in-room fridge with snacks/soft drinks/ and maybe even booze (category)

I'd suggest you check out VIKING and check out BOTH ocean and RIVER.

We did a river first ... now two oceans and are booked for another river ......

Thank you for this. I will definitely check them out. River cruises are on the bucket list so they may check two boxes for us.

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

The Yacht Club has controlled access for a private restaurant, a private lounge, a private pool deck with mini-buffet, Butler service, priority access to just about everything.  It is a ship within a ship but you can still access the things the whole ship has on offer.  The food in the private restaurant, the poolside buffet, and the lounge snacks are a cut above.

It must be just me, but I hate the idea of ‘classes’ onboard a ship.  But I guess I understand the reasoning. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StollyBolly said:

It must be just me, but I hate the idea of ‘classes’ onboard a ship.  But I guess I understand the reasoning. 

It's not classes.  Classes is when you can't get the better stuff because of who your father was.  People are paying for these extra benefits, not just getting them because of the class they belong to.  Is it classism when one pax sails in an interior and another sails in a suite?  Is it classism when one person orders and gets a hamburger while another orders and gets a ribeye?  Is it classism when one person sails in a Carnival interior while another sails in the owner's suite on Regent Seven Seas?

• Like 1