How to Dine at a Table With Other Passengers (Strangers)

PoorBuoy

My wife and I are trying to make reservations for a cruise. One attraction to going on a cruise is to get to meet new people. The easiest way I know to do this is to get seated with other people (strangers) at dinner.  I've been frustrated dealing with the people at the cruise companies' reservation call center getting an answer as to whether we can get seated with other people at dinner. One company's 6 PM dinner seating is full, leaving us with any-time dining or a late night fixed seating time which is undesirable. The other company won't give us a dinner seating time until we commit to going with them on a cruise (pay the deposit). My impression from talking with the call center agents is that you are only guaranteed seating at a table with other people if you have dinner reservations at one of the set seating times. You can't get seating with other guests if you have the any-time dining option. 

Is my understanding correct? I'm thinking that I will have to take a risk, put a deposit on the cruise, and then get wait-listed for the 6 PM dinner seating and hope that we can get seated with other passengers. Is there much risk in this?

• Thanks 1

Welcome back to posting on Cruise Critic!

What cruiselines have you been in contact with?

Our experience (although not since the startup) on Holland America in open-seating was to show up at the MDR podium and indicate that we would be happy to sit with others. This would get a BIG SMILE from the hostess or host and almost immediate seating at a table of 6/8/10

• Like 4

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Welcome back to posting on Cruise Critic!

What cruiselines have you been in contact with?

Our experience (although not since the startup) on Holland America in open-seating was to show up at the MDR podium and indicate that we would be happy to sit with others. This would get a BIG SMILE from the hostess or host and almost immediate seating at a table of 6/8/10

Our experience with freedom-seating in the past has been the same as @crystalspin.  And often two lines at the MDR door for shared or separate tables.

I don't know whether it's a hangover from the re-start when sharing with strangers wasn't allowed, or the trend to pre-booking a "freedom" time via an app, or both, but since the re-start (three different cruise lines) it hasn't worked out. It's meant having to dine by ourselves or a half-filled table.

It's almost-always been a been a highlight of our cruises, mebbe it'll return or mebbe its gone forever.

We'll find out next month - fourth cruise line since the re-start and the whole ship is freedom dining. 🤞

JB 🙂

There have been times when we had no trouble being seated with others, and not so lucky times.  And traditional dining has not been the same since specialty dining restaurants began to proliferate.  We have been assigned to a table for 8 and no one else shows up after the first night because they are eating elsewhere.  And times when we had a table for 2 but so close to others that we might as well have been seated together.  EM

• Like 1

As soon as you get onboard talk to the Maitre'd and request to be seated at a table with others. If early dining is unavailable ask to be put on the waiting list for it, and if it doesn't come through prior to sailing that's another request for the Maitre'd. 

• Like 1

We were assigned at a table for ten on a Celebrity TA last April/May. Only six of us showed up the first night. Two of the single ladies bolted after that. The other couple and us are rather outgoing, and we invited others to join us. Within two days we had a full table of ten, and everyone showed up almost every night. The chemistry was great and everyone shared their plans and experiences. The maitre'd and our waiters were very accommodating. Those who joined us were often the only ones at their former tables. 

6 hours ago, PoorBuoy said:

I've been frustrated dealing with the people at the cruise companies' reservation call center getting an answer as to whether we can get seated with other people at dinner. One company's 6 PM dinner seating is full, leaving us with any-time dining or a late night fixed seating time which is undesirable.

Here is how it works, with minor variations, on most cruise lines.

Fixed/Set Dining: You are assigned to a set table at a set time in the main dining room (e.g., 6:00 pm; 8:30 pm, etc.). You can generally specify what size table you would like (e.g., as a couple you could select a two-top or a larger table of 6 or 8 where you'll be seated with others). If you select a larger size, you'll be seated with those others for the duration of the cruise. This is sometimes called "Traditional" dining because it is the way most lines offered dining in the past.

Anytime/Freestyle Dining:  You do not have a reservation for a table or a time, you simply show up at the dining room and request a table for dinner, e.g., a table for two. MOST lines will allow you to request a 'sharing' table -- a larger table of folks who've arrived around the same time as you and are willing to share. Sometimes there will be one already started that you can join, or sometimes you'll be the first and others will be brought to join you. Usually they only take orders once the table is filled so that everyone is eating the same courses at the same time.

Nowadays there are many variations on these two themes. Some cruise lines are doing away with the more traditional "set" dining or at least limiting it. Some have more than 1-2 main dining rooms and you have to make individual reservations for each night. And on smaller and/or more upscale ships there may be no "fixed" dining time at all, you just come to the MDR whenever you're ready (you can still ask to share). And so on. That's why it's best to ask this question on the cruise line you're considering to get an accurate answer. 

Also, on some lines, sharing a table within their Anytime framework is considered very normal, whereas on others, it is almost regarded with horror (on NCL, for the latter). As a solo traveler, I've shared tables successfully on many lines, including Princess, Holland America, Celebrity and others. As mentioned, on NCL the prevailing attitude seems to be "why would I ever want to eat with strangers?"

• Like 4

You can also just go to the buffet, find someone who looks interesting and friendly and ask if you can share their table. I know most people don’t like dinner at the buffet. But when we go ashore we like to taste the local cuisine and are usually too full for a complete meal. 

I will be totally shocked if any cruise line will allow you to reserve a dining option prior to making the booking. 

For Princess, RCI, Carnival, & Celebrity, as long as there are others who want to share a table you will be able to share a table.  Doesn't matter if Fixed, My Time, Anytime, or whatever name is used by the cruise line.  It shouldn't be a problem.   

• Like 1

Hi,

There are pros and cons.

When my wife and I first started cruising we would always have what was then known as traditional dining and be sat at a table of around 8 people, sometimes 4 couples, sometimes larger families.

We always seemed to get on and it was nice to have a chat about what we did that day or what we were going to do the next.

However, sometimes people were missing (like gone to chops at the last minute and told no-one) or late (possibly late back from a trip) and this held up the meal as the waiter would not take the orders until everyone was there and then there was a rush if you were planning on going to a show etc.

I even saw people arguing with staff and insisting that they were never put with those people again!

So, from 2013 onwards (with the exception of one cruise where it was not available), we have opted for MTD for a table of 2.

The main benefit is that we can arrive when WE want and eat when WE want. Also, most of the time the tables for 2 are placed in such an arrangement that there are other tables for 2 next to us or close by, meaning that if we want, and if the other diners want to too, we can all have a little chat with our eating neighbours and sometimes we will get the same people night after night and other times some newbies. This way we can choose if we want a conversation or not.

One of the issues with sitting with people you don't know night after night for between 7 and 14 nights is that eventually you run out of things to say or end up saying the same things night after night.

Because 1730 is too early for us to eat and 2000 is too late, we opt for the MTD which is now set at 1845 although you can try earlier if you want and if a table is not taken by a 1730 guest by say 1815 then you can normally get in then if you are not bothered about where you are going to sit. This allows plenty time to eat and get to that 2000 show without rushing if you don't want to go to the 2200 show as you are tired or have other plans at that time.

The other thing about MTD is that if you choose to go to Chops or Coastal Kitchen or wherever at the last moment, then you are not going to be the couple that held up a table of strangers who may be very PO'd with you the next time they see you.

At the end of the day its each to their own. I don't mind sharing if I have to, but we both now prefer the freedom of having our own table that we can come and go from when we choose.

Don't forget on some sea days the MDR is open for lunch and the staff normally ask if you want a table for 2 or to share (just like breakfast in there), so there are plenty times to mingle and chat with other passengers during the cruise.

However, if you really want to eat with the same people each night then the old traditional seating is the only option. But... there's no guarantee that the other people at your table won't be missing due to delays or going to other venues without telling anyone. Fine if you are not in a rush to be anywhere straight after dinner.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

There are pros and cons.

When my wife and I first started cruising we would always have what was then known as traditional dining and be sat at a table of around 8 people, sometimes 4 couples, sometimes larger families.

We always seemed to get on and it was nice to have a chat about what we did that day or what we were going to do the next.

However, sometimes people were missing (like gone to chops at the last minute and told no-one) or late (possibly late back from a trip) and this held up the meal as the waiter would not take the orders until everyone was there and then there was a rush if you were planning on going to a show etc.

I even saw people arguing with staff and insisting that they were never put with those people again!

So, from 2013 onwards (with the exception of one cruise where it was not available), we have opted for MTD for a table of 2.

The main benefit is that we can arrive when WE want and eat when WE want. Also, most of the time the tables for 2 are placed in such an arrangement that there are other tables for 2 next to us or close by, meaning that if we want, and if the other diners want to too, we can all have a little chat with our eating neighbours and sometimes we will get the same people night after night and other times some newbies. This way we can choose if we want a conversation or not.

One of the issues with sitting with people you don't know night after night for between 7 and 14 nights is that eventually you run out of things to say or end up saying the same things night after night.

Because 1730 is too early for us to eat and 2000 is too late, we opt for the MTD which is now set at 1845 although you can try earlier if you want and if a table is not taken by a 1730 guest by say 1815 then you can normally get in then if you are not bothered about where you are going to sit. This allows plenty time to eat and get to that 2000 show without rushing if you don't want to go to the 2200 show as you are tired or have other plans at that time.

The other thing about MTD is that if you choose to go to Chops or Coastal Kitchen or wherever at the last moment, then you are not going to be the couple that held up a table of strangers who may be very PO'd with you the next time they see you.

At the end of the day its each to their own. I don't mind sharing if I have to, but we both now prefer the freedom of having our own table that we can come and go from when we choose.

Don't forget on some sea days the MDR is open for lunch and the staff normally ask if you want a table for 2 or to share (just like breakfast in there), so there are plenty times to mingle and chat with other passengers during the cruise.

However, if you really want to eat with the same people each night then the old traditional seating is the only option. But... there's no guarantee that the other people at your table won't be missing due to delays or going to other venues without telling anyone. Fine if you are not in a rush to be anywhere straight after dinner.

Mick.

I never run out of things to say as anybody who posts on CC and has met me knows for a fact.I can converse on any subject except Quantum Physics.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've had more negative experiences than positive dining with strangers on cruises. Were I interested in meeting people I'd look to shipboard activities where there is an already established common interest or take the ship-sponsored excursions where you can get to know people without the prospect of having to sit with them at dinner each night. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never run out of things to say as anybody who posts on CC and has met me knows for a fact.I can converse on any subject except Quantum Physics.

Ditto!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

37 minutes ago, Szt said:

Ditto!

Good to know.  I guess I'll just have to scratch @lenquixote66 and @Szt from my list of future dining tablemates.

🤣

@PoorBuoy, as others have indicated, above, yes, cruise dining has changed substantially, but if you cannot be seated in the traditional dining environment, you can usually share tables in the My Time Dining (or whatever it is called on your chosen cruise line) environment.  Just advise the host/hostess at the dining room door of your preference when you arrive.  I can tell you that there is no problem at all doing this on Princess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

If I faked quantum physics who would know.  What is the odds of sharing a table w a real quantum physicist?  LOL!!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

If I faked quantum physics who would know.  What is the odds of sharing a table w a real quantum physicist?  LOL!!

In 2006 I was at a reunion in NYC with a group of childhood friends who I last saw in 1958.One of them was a Quantum Physicist .I googled it in order that I might be able to converse with him about his job.I could not get  past the first sentence.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Good to know.  I guess I'll just have to scratch @lenquixote66 and @Szt from my list of future dining tablemates.

🤣

@PoorBuoy, as others have indicated, above, yes, cruise dining has changed substantially, but if you cannot be seated in the traditional dining environment, you can usually share tables in the My Time Dining (or whatever it is called on your chosen cruise line) environment.  Just advise the host/hostess at the dining room door of your preference when you arrive.  I can tell you that there is no problem at all doing this on Princess.

👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

You never know. On my last cruise I actually was seated with someone who was actually a rocket scientist. 🤣

59 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You never know. On my last cruise I actually was seated with someone who was actually a rocket scientist. 🤣

We were once on a ranger led hike to see that oldest bristlecone pine in Utah. There were 5 attendees, the two of us - geophysics, two volcanologists, the ranger was a bit intimidated.  We all assured him not to worry that we knew nothing about botany and well it could be worse that one of us could be an astrophysicist.  After a big laugh the 5th hiker pulled out his Los Alamos ID - sure enough he was an astrophysicist. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Thanks for all of the responses. I feel better that dining with others should be doable.  I am looking at Celebrity vs. Holland America for an Alaska cruise-tour. We don't cruise a lot so I'm probably overthinking everything. Even though we had a good Caribbean Christmas cruise with Celebrity, I think I'm going for Holland America just based on their land itinerary. 

A year ago when I made reservations for the Christmas cruise I was able to easily converse with the Celebrity phone representative. She was knowledgeable about the cabin, cabin locations, and all my other questions. This time around I've been frustrated with the phone representatives of both lines. Difficult to understand and not that knowledgeable about the ships or the cruises.

Thanks again.