Theft around the ship?

zitsky

1 hour ago, Salt Lifer said:

I enjoy swimming, so I do leave my phone on a chair when I go in the water, but it is under a towel so not obvious, and I also have a cheap-o Android phone so thieves are not exactly chomping at the bit to take it!  

With the cameras around the ships watching our every move I assume if someone did want to take my phone security could track it down.

🤣

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/thought-it-was-an-iphone-thieves-return-stolen-android-phone-to-shocked-us-couple-4635772#

• Haha 1

Personally I would not be too concerned.   As other's said the security system on the ships camera network record EVERYTHING.   6 months ago on Silhouette I lost a puffer at the Security Scanner.   It was never turned in.    The Suites Manager contacted security and next day it was in my room.   Where it had been I have no idea but hadn't been turned into the front desk.

The level of honesty is incredible.   On Edge World Cruise I have seen over a dozen posts from people who have lost gold earrings, cell phones, cell phones and more cell phones -   All have reported them being turned in and were able to be reunited.

• Like 3

We have waterproof pouches (never used) for iPhone but I plan to leave them in the safe.  Maybe we take turns so someone doesn’t steal my 3 year old iPad.  I have an Apple Watch and sport headphones for music that will stay with me.  Maybe I’ll save the iPad for when I’m in one of the lounges and not stepping away.

But what y’all are telling me is that something might disappear or might not?  Because I have an 18 year old cat that is very demanding that I would REALLY like to get rid of.  Just not sure how to get him to the pool deck.

Thanks for the comments.

• Haha 2

someone stole my yeti bottle water at ocean cafe.

I found an empty table and left my yeti and sea pass, it took me less than 2 minutes because all we wanted was dessert. It was gone and no one saw anything, I looked aroud I asked everyone and nothing. It was never returned to guess service either. 

4 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

someone stole my yeti bottle water at ocean cafe.

I found an empty table and left my yeti and sea pass, it took me less than 2 minutes because all we wanted was dessert. It was gone and no one saw anything, I looked aroud I asked everyone and nothing. It was never returned to guess service either. 

Borderline gross.  Did you ask if they can review security footage?  I'd be interested to determine who stole it

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Borderline gross.  Did you ask if they can review security footage?  I'd be interested to determine who stole it

I didnt ask for it and it was my first x cruise. I never had any issue before with RCL. 

Now I still leave my sea pass but the new bottle is with me all the time lol

11 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

We have never had a problem and I always question whether I should leave valuables anywhere - including bags on a poolside chair - and I choose not to do it because on the off-chance something happened, I don't want to have to deal with reporting a lost/stolen item and then being stressed/angry about it for the rest of the cruise. Yes, I am weird this way. I'd rather avoid the problem. 

Wanting to avoid a problem isn't being weird at all, IMO.  Good loss control.  For me it isn't the value of a Kindle as much as losing access to all my vacation reading material.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Wanting to avoid a problem isn't being weird at all, IMO.  Good loss control.  For me it isn't the value of a Kindle as much as losing access to all my vacation reading material.  

My iPad has a bunch of ten year old magazines I still haven’t read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Kind of funny you say that.  Just yesterday, I was in the supermarket thinking how odd it was to see a whole section full of glossy magazines -- just like the old days.   I am surprised there is still enough demand for printed magazines to keep the shelves stocked.   

• Like 1

I had expensive sun lotion taken from  my lounger when I left to grab a drink. I guess another cruiser must have left theirs at home. Just need the wrong person walking by at the right time.

A fellow cruiser was in the public shower near the pool . He hung his swim suit on the top of the door while showering and it was swiped never to be found.

Dishonest people are everywhere and not related to a cruise line

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

I had expensive sun lotion taken from  my lounger when I left to grab a drink. I guess another cruiser must have left theirs at home. Just need the wrong person walking by at the right time.

A fellow cruiser was in the public shower near the pool . He hung his swim suit on the top of the door while showering and it was swiped never to be found.

Dishonest people are everywhere and not related to a cruise line

I took my 11 year old grandson on an RCU cruise this August. He was in the hit tub watching a movie ans when he got out his Reef sandals were gone. My daughter had bought them fif the cruise paid $75. We checked by the pool towels area also guest relations on two occasions and never turned up.  Glad I insisted he take his runners on the cruise or he'd be barefoot. 

I would not be too concerned about theft.

We did have some one taken in by the police on Edge on a Western Med cruise.

The only thievery I see is with the new wine menus and the $3 to $5 per drink increase 🤣

Edited by NMTraveller

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Kind of funny you say that.  Just yesterday, I was in the supermarket thinking how odd it was to see a whole section full of glossy magazines -- just like the old days.   I am surprised there is still enough demand for printed magazines to keep the shelves stocked.   

the market for printed anything is really the computer illiterate who can't operate an iPhone or most electronic devices. The target market of ethos his generally "older". who never really grew up with an electronic device of any sort 

• Haha 1

I think I would prefer the printed version if my only other choice was an iphone. Thankfully I build my own desktops, have a gaming laptop, 2 in 1 touchscreen chromebook, fire tablet modified for playstore, and a galaxy phone.

😈

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tfred said:

the market for printed anything is really the computer illiterate who can't operate an iPhone or most electronic devices. The target market of ethos his generally "older". who never really grew up with an electronic device of any sort 

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

I think I would prefer the printed version if my only other choice was an iphone. Thankfully I build my own desktops, have a gaming laptop, 2 in 1 touchscreen chromebook, fire tablet modified for playstore, and a galaxy phone.

😈

Yeah, I think for a magazine or just casual reading I would want more than an iPhone.   My kindle paperwhite wouldn't be ideal for magazines where the color images are a big part of the enjoyment I think.  My old Kindle Fire was good with color images, but the battery life sucked.  

Back to topic, it literally just occurred to me my Kindle is always logged on.  I suppose I need to learn to log in & out when traveling.  

True story on another line besides Celebrity ... as we got ready to depart DW made a thorough search of the in room safe and up against the "lip" in the front, under the felt pad, she felt something resting there.  IT WAS A LARGE DIAMOND RING!

I kid you not: someone had left a diamond ring in the safe! We took it to the purser's desk and she looked quite relieved. I think there had been some calls and discussion about the whereabouts of said ring! Wow. Now we're disappointed when we don't "strike diamonds" in our safe! LOL

• Like 1

A couple observations and ideas:

We generally have had no issues on the ship, but we do caution that not everyone is trustworthy just because they have a smile and uniform, or are on vacation.  The cameras help some, but don't stop everything or crimes of opportunity or the deranged (like the molester on Silhouette crew).

Set some calendar reminders to check the safe before embarkation.  And, have a practice that your spouse/partner double check the safe no matter how adamant one is that is was checked. 

For poolside and other lounging situations where you may bring more than you want to carry into water or the nearby area, we have occasionally used ski locks or a master lock mini portable safe with a string lock to tie to a chair or other fixed post.  We didn't do that on the ship, but had it for port visits to beaches.   A pouch can be good for going on the water. 

Tiles and airpods may be of limited use on the ship for location purposes (between the wifi and need for other users, some of the locations may show the shipyard or another location while on the high sea), but the buzzer may work, it would work on land, etc.  So, we have them for all of bags, including backpacks, and so on.  We have them in our cars, too. 

We set our bank accounts through apps to limit the amount of withdrawals and lock other certain apps to hidden spot on our screens.  No need for anyone that may gain access to your banking or investments.  We wouldn't do this for a US business trip, but we would for Caribbean, Mexico, and Bahamas.  

You can lock and wipe your devices from anywhere and any computer.  But, you need your credentials and to know how.  Your mobile phone company can be helpful too. 

We don't travel with anything important on the memory cards or hard drives of our devices.

Unless it's bedside with us, locked in a room  safe or non shady locker that is required, or going through a scanner, we don't leave our phones anywhere, and would not leave tablets or computers unattended.  The inconvenience and our lack of access to info is just too much to fathom.  Don't let someone else use your phone or devices logged in as you. 

Tap your credit cards when possible at POS terminals.  Don't let them out of your site. 

Leaving a sea pass card unattended seems like trouble or at least inconvenient.

Have a printed list of phone numbers.  With phones, FaceTime, etc, they may no longer be committed to memory. 

Always bring a cable/charger or backup battery on excursions.  Don't charge unattended.  Small backup batteries are inexpensive. (A long one is great for the room with no outlets on one side the bed, or airport).

Carry your driver's license/passport and plane ticket through security, and hold it over your head or in front of you.  And, get your phone, and wallet out  of your bag or bowl ASAP after it clears the scanner.  If the alarm goes off and they evacuate the terminal have what you need on you.  

Ziploc bags work great for air buds, and other pocket items if taking a dip. 

Cash is great for tips, getting out of a jam, a van ride on Grand Cayman etc.  Cash doesn't usually cause the jam.  It can stay in the safe when on the ship, but would think a sizeable cash tip gets the martini bartender's attention too.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:32 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yes, Guest Relations' assortment of reading glasses is impressive.  I left mine on the table in Luminae one night.  Went down to see if they had been turned in--there they were in this large box FULL of reading glasses!

Wow…no problems here.  Hope you are sailing and well. We sail Connie next week.  Miss you!  Peg 

On 12/8/2023 at 10:57 AM, tfred said:

our  7 yr old grandson, who is tech saavy, loves all the print fan mags for Pokemon.. .nice posters!

He will also learn script..So sad to see grown ups sign  papers in print!

Travel mags and natl geographic are nicer in print

Reading is fun on a tablet/ kindle but some books are worth putting on our book shelves!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:13 PM, zitsky said:

30 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The National Enquirer? 🤣

When I first saw the original quote, I was thinking about magazines somewhat spicier than the Enquirer - ones where reading the articles was optional and mostly not the primary purpose.

Yes, I'm actually 12. 🙃

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Haha 2