Red Sea troubles

SumoCitrus

We are joining the Zeiderdam in Singapore on 23 March for the final segment of the World Voyage. On our current itinerary, we reach the Red Sea in mid-April. Holland America is waiting to see if the situation in the Red Sea stabilizes and has not made a decision yet, but will have to return to Ft Lauderdale on their World Voyage via the Cape if the Red Sea remains unstable. At this point, it's anybody's guess. I have no idea how long HAL will wait to make the final decision. I would think it will have to be by Singapore because the next port is Columbo and after that, it's either north to Bombay or west to the east coast of Africa and south and around the Cape. We are happy to go with the flow either way. It's an adventure. What are your thoughts about how this will evolve?

32 minutes ago, Wh2437 said:

We are joining the Zeiderdam in Singapore on 23 March for the final segment of the World Voyage. On our current itinerary, we reach the Red Sea in mid-April. Holland America is waiting to see if the situation in the Red Sea stabilizes and has not made a decision yet, but will have to return to Ft Lauderdale on their World Voyage via the Cape if the Red Sea remains unstable. At this point, it's anybody's guess. I have no idea how long HAL will wait to make the final decision. I would think it will have to be by Singapore because the next port is Columbo and after that, it's either north to Bombay or west to the east coast of Africa and south and around the Cape. We are happy to go with the flow either way. It's an adventure. What are your thoughts about how this will evolve?

If you've been following the various threads from the GWC, you'll see that the Captain has already issued a letter to the passengers on this issue.  It was just a general statement, with nothing conclusive at this date.   But since you've asked for thoughts?  My thought is you'll be heading south around the cape.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting Bill and Mary Ann blog on the Zeiderdam GWC24 cruise advises that when passengers asked during a meet and greet on the 25th of Jan they were told there would be an announcement within a week as to whether there will be an itinerary change. Passengers are betting on the Africa route. We board in Singapore on 23 March. We are not concerned about a Red Sea passage, knowing there is no way HAL will or can go if the situation remains unstable in April. Anyway,  we prefer the African route. That said, it would be nice to know now so we can avoid unecessary Visas such as India. The African route as cruisers know is usually Sri Lanka, Maldives, Seychelles, Mombassa, Mozambique, Zanzibar etc. Never been, but would love to go that route. We have visited many ports in Med a change south would sure work for us. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 8:41 PM, julia said:

If you've been following the various threads from the GWC, you'll see that the Captain has already issued a letter to the passengers on this issue.  It was just a general statement, with nothing conclusive at this date.   But since you've asked for thoughts?  My thought is you'll be heading south around the cape.

Are you able to provide a copy of this letter, or a direct link to it?  Thanks

14 hours ago, mgtravelsalot said:

after  the deaths in Jordon today its going to get really bad very soon

That's for sure. From all their recent belligerence, I have to conclude that Iran has nukes. Just waiting to be attacked by a nuclear armed country, in order to roll it out. After that, anything is possible.

https://apnews.com/article/iran-satellite-launch-mideast-tensions-israel-palestinians-gaza-b2d8d654c24cf588acaa8228229a0415

13 hours ago, Wh2437 said:

Anyway,  we prefer the African route. That said, it would be nice to know now so we can avoid unecessary Visas such as India. The African route as cruisers know is usually Sri Lanka, Maldives, Seychelles, Mombassa, Mozambique, Zanzibar etc. Never been, but would love to go that route. We have visited many ports in Med a change south would sure work for us. 

Do note that Canadians need an ETA for Sri Lanka, Seychelles, Mozambique, Kenya, Tanzania etc. Lot more work than sailing via Middle East and Mediterranean!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Canadian_citizens

What about Americans??

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, YngRetiredCruiser said:

Are you able to provide a copy of this letter, or a direct link to it?  Thanks

You can view the letter in Pete's GWV thread (The-Inside-Cabin).

Im just glad Ive already been thru the Red sea and  Isreal, Egypt etc, I wouldnt even travel to  anywhere with in bombing distance of  many places I have been.  Whats weird is Im going on  a ship  next week for 2 weeks and  my friends used to tell me to stop cruising because every time I went away weird things or disasters would happen.  My Mom and I started to  predict  and would try to guess what would happen, This goes way back to Columbine , first cruise we took, then OK bombing  yep second cruise, then after that things like, Beruit bombings, Kenya bombings, the tsuami in Bali, 9/11 was on the Qm2 couldnt dock stayed at sea a few days had to go to Halifax, London Bombings, Paris riots, Egypt  Arab spring , Japan earthquake and many more I have forgotten at this point, but if its going to happen Im usually on a ship lol

12 minutes ago, mgtravelsalot said:

Im just glad Ive already been thru the Red sea and  Isreal, Egypt etc, I wouldnt even travel to  anywhere with in bombing distance of  many places I have been.  Whats weird is Im going on  a ship  next week for 2 weeks and  my friends used to tell me to stop cruising because every time I went away weird things or disasters would happen.  My Mom and I started to  predict  and would try to guess what would happen, This goes way back to Columbine , first cruise we took, then OK bombing  yep second cruise, then after that things like, Beruit bombings, Kenya bombings, the tsuami in Bali, 9/11 was on the Qm2 couldnt dock stayed at sea a few days had to go to Halifax, London Bombings, Paris riots, Egypt  Arab spring , Japan earthquake and many more I have forgotten at this point, but if its going to happen Im usually on a ship lol

As a public service, can you please provide us with your upcomig sailing dates so we can avoid?  

Just kidding, but wow!  😱😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, YngRetiredCruiser said:

I went to his site, and looked and looked and could not find the letter.  The latest blog post was 1/22 or 1/23.

The post with the letter:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YngRetiredCruiser said:

I went to his site, and looked and looked and could not find the letter.  The latest blog post was 1/22 or 1/23.

It's post #210...

3 hours ago, mgtravelsalot said:

Elvis died during our honeymoon. Does that count?

Actually on our last cruise this past summer one of the questions at one of the trivia contests was when Elvis died. I nailed that one. 😉 In case anyone really needs that information it was August 1977.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Actually on our last cruise this past summer one of the questions at one of the trivia contests was when Elvis died. I nailed that one. 😉 In case anyone really needs that information it was August 1977.

Funnily enough I always know that date as well. It was just a couple of days after my first Alaska cruise ended in San Francisco -- a cruise that included my first shipboard romance, at the tender age of 14, lol. He was 14 too, it was all very innocent. He also happened to be from Memphis. I'd never been an Elvis fan but the synchronicity of the two events is forever linked in my mind. 🥰🤣

It's strange to think about now. I made a lot of friends cruising as a kid and teen, but back then the only way to keep in touch with people was by writing letters. I adore writing (as evidenced by my many posts here...) but not everyone replies. Eventually one loses touch. If we'd met in the FB age, we'd probably have remained connected for life. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I would get that too. That’s one that’s sticks in my mind and I remember where I was. 11 at the time and visiting relatives in England.

Aloha. We have two long cruises in that area and since we have been blessed to be there before we will most likely cancel as the alternate routes are also to places we have been.

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Funnily enough I always know that date as well. It was just a couple of days after my first Alaska cruise ended in San Francisco -- a cruise that included my first shipboard romance, at the tender age of 14, lol. He was 14 too, it was all very innocent. He also happened to be from Memphis. I'd never been an Elvis fan but the synchronicity of the two events is forever linked in my mind. 🥰🤣

It's strange to think about now. I made a lot of friends cruising as a kid and teen, but back then the only way to keep in touch with people was by writing letters. I adore writing (as evidenced by my many posts here...) but not everyone replies. Eventually one loses touch. If we'd met in the FB age, we'd probably have remained connected for life. 

Only 14, and another poster quoting me was only 11. You too make me feel so old; I was 30 then. 😒

BTW, still married to the same woman, and we celebrated our 46th anniversary last year on a sea day between Norway and Iceland. 😊😊😊😊😊

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Only 14, and another poster quoting me was only 11. You too make me feel so old; I was 30 then. 😒

BTW, still married to the same woman, and we celebrated our 46th anniversary last year on a sea day between Norway and Iceland. 😊😊😊😊😊

OOPS, too late to edit, but you "too', should be you "two".