Recent experience in Diamond (er..Crown) Lounge

On our recent Mariner cruise, the D concierge asked for our cards the first night to verify our status.  He didn't ask again and he was a wonderful host.  We normally don't frequent the D lounge, but the views on this call of ship make a pleasant place for a pre-dinner drink.  On the third (or so) night, the concierge approached a group of four (two couples) and asked to see their cards.  One of the men showed his and when he asked the other couple, the first man said loudly, "They are my guests!"  The concierge just nodded and walked away.  I know there is a fine line for the  between enforcing the rules and causing a scene, but we were a little offended that he let it go so easily when we have earned our status and this guy acted so entitled.  What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Entitled yes, but does insisting the concierge boot them make you seem entitled? The only way to enforce this would have been to march down to Guest Services and complain, or find the LA and complain...see where I'm going with this? Like Elsa sang "let it go" or Taylor sang "shake it off". You know there will always be rule breakers.

• Like 1

Yes they acted entitled but no I wouldn’t have been personally offended.  And if he wants to use up all of his vouchers on guests it’s his loss. As for the mediocre appetizers, I’ve never seen them run out. Sure I’d be bothered if there were no seats left because of “guests”, but Diamond Lounges have been a ghost town since vouchers came out. If it really bothers you though, to the point where it interferes with the enjoyment of your cruise, I’d recommend a call or visit to the pursers desk. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Yes they acted entitled but no I wouldn’t have been personally offended.  And if he wants to use up all of his vouchers on guests it’s his loss. As for the mediocre appetizers, I’ve never seen them run out. Sure I’d be bothered if there were no seats left because of “guests”, but Diamond Lounges have been a ghost town since vouchers came out. If it really bothers you though, to the point where it interferes with the enjoyment of your cruise, I’d recommend a call or visit to the pursers desk. 

The  Diamond/Crown Lounge on Mariner has not been a ghost town.  In fact, on some of my Mariner cruises there were no seats in the lounge on multiple occasions.   There aren’t a terribly lot of seats in that lounge.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

If it is a ghost town why are they restricting Diamonds on some ships? 

Some Diamonds may be understandably upset if they learnt  “guests” are getting priority. Of course depends on shop and sailing but not a good precedent.

... but Diamond Lounges have been a ghost town since vouchers came out.

14 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

The  Diamond/Crown Lounge on Mariner has not been a ghost town.  In fact, on some of my Mariner cruises there were no seats in the lounge on multiple occasions.   There aren’t a terribly lot of seats in that lounge.

7 out of 9 cruises since restart,  the DL was full and 2 of them had overflow.

• Like 2

We were recently on Mariner and while the views are awesome, the seating is incredibly minimal. Because of that I really wish they would enforce the privilege to those who earned it. Plenty of other lounges to go to on that ship, definitely an entitled "move"... and just plain tacky.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Guess it depends on the ship. As I said, the solution is to contact the pursers desk. 

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

If it is a ghost town why are they restricting Diamonds on some ships? 

Some Diamonds may be understandably upset if they learnt  “guests” are getting priority. Of course depends on shop and sailing but not a good precedent.

I don’t know why, I’m just basing it on my experience and what I’ve been told by others. As I said, if you’re upset talk to the pursers desk. I do think the OP is experiencing the exception not the rule, as I’ve seen enforcement even on the quieter nights. 

7 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

7 out of 9 cruises since restart,  the DL was full and 2 of them had overflow.

I’ve only been on 4 since the restart and it’s been quiet. I think one night on Enchantment was busy but probably because that DL has a view and isn’t stuck in some crappy location. 

9 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

On our recent Mariner cruise, the D concierge asked for our cards the first night to verify our status.  He didn't ask again and he was a wonderful host.  We normally don't frequent the D lounge, but the views on this call of ship make a pleasant place for a pre-dinner drink.  On the third (or so) night, the concierge approached a group of four (two couples) and asked to see their cards.  One of the men showed his and when he asked the other couple, the first man said loudly, "They are my guests!"  The concierge just nodded and walked away.  I know there is a fine line for the  between enforcing the rules and causing a scene, but we were a little offended that he let it go so easily when we have earned our status and this guy acted so entitled.  What do you think?

A shame indeed.  We don't use the Crown Lounge, and apparently the same politics going on as before.  I detest rude people, and especially the ones that are rude to the crew members.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 7

I’ve only been on 4 since the restart and it’s been quiet. I think one night on Enchantment was busy but probably because that DL has a view and isn’t stuck in some crappy location. 

Mariner’s lounge has a nice view and that undoubtedly contributes to its popularity.  Even CL’s without views can be busy these days.  Most seats were filled in Wonder’s CL (no view) when we dropped in a couple times; D’s were excluded.

4 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I didn't care for the Enchantment DL (Crown), I preferred the CL (Concierge).

13 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

The DLC should have requested the non Diamond members leave. They didn't pay for those seats. Especially now that on some cruises Diamond members are excluded from the CL for HH. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Quality of appetizers varies from ship to ship greatly.

Number of guests too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

I didn't care for the Enchantment DL (Crown), I preferred the CL (Concierge).

It's nice though that they are right across from each other...which equates to if the coffee machine is broken in one lounge...I can transfer over to the next one....unless that one is broken as well.  😣

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

It's nice though that they are right across from each other...which equates to if the coffee machine is broken in one lounge...I can transfer over to the next one....unless that one is broken as well.  😣

That's no longer and option for me, since D+ were kicked out of Concierge Lounge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Same here.  I tend to just assume by the time I make Pin, the Pins will no longer have any Concierge Lounge access.

I will only make pin if Royal allows me to forward my points to my reincarnated self. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

That's no longer and option for me, since D+ were kicked out of Concierge Lounge.

Sigh...indeed so many things are changing, and not for the better.  😞  But we do adore the new voucher program...pretty much coffee in the morning is about the only time I use the lounges.   

For us, our go to bar is usually the VCL bar to use our vouchers.  Any lounge...any time...is happy hour now.  🙂 

Was not that many years ago the Diamonds were kicked out of the concierge lounge...then recently D+ and now Pinnacles.  

Booking a full suite is pretty much the only guarantee to have access to Concierge Lounge or Suite's Lounge.  

• Like 2