The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday, December 23rd, 2023

kazu

Today is Festivus, National Christmas Movie Marathon Day, and National Pfeffernusse Day

The whole secret of life is to be interested in one thing profoundly and in a thousand things well. - Horace Walpole

Meal Suggestion for today - Instant Pot Beef Curry
Drink of the Day - Knob Creek Rye Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - 2019 Selección de Fincas Ribera del Duero
Destination of the Day - Santa Barbara, California

Today in History:
1888 Vincent van Gogh cuts off his left ear with a razor, after argument with fellow painter Paul Gauguin, and sends to a prostitute for safe keeping
1928 NBC sets up a permanent, coast-to-coast radio network

Ship Locations

Eurodam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 13:00 - 22:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 12-27

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 15:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 23:00 

Noordam

Bay of Islands, Russell, New Zealand 12:00 - 20:00 

Oosterdam

Port Stanley, East Falkland Island 08:00 - 17:00 

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 10:00 - 18:00 

Zaandam

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00 

Zuiderdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas Carnival private island 09:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Volendam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 12-25

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Koh Samui Island Thailand eta 12-25

IMG_1374.thumb.jpeg.8529a6edd5197b8e5709a2c79370ccc4.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 23

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck not feeling well

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Passing of Kazu’s DBIL’s DM 

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Tana with pulmonary issues

Passing of 1Angelcat’s friend Lynda’s DH Bill

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Kochleffel (Paul)!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, on CPAP 

Ger_77 visiting family in Calgary

Smitty34877 visiting family in NH

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Seagarsmoker (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Petunia1950 (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Nickelpenny (Zuiderdam to Jan 3, Panama Canal Sunfarer Holiday), St Pete Cruiser (Zaandam to Jan 4, Southern Caribbean Holiday), Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam to Jan 5, B2B, Western/Tropical Caribbean), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Haljo1935 (Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), GTVCRUISER(Koningsdam to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, 51d B2B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n)) and Richwmn(Volendam to May 4, 12d Mexico & Sea of Cortez Holiday + Jan 6 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 18

Good morning dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report. 

We are at the first pier on the NS in Aruba this morning.  Looks like three ships today, so it will be busyat the port.

We decided not to do the four hour tour after being crammed in the bus yesterday.  I don't think either of us can handle that again.  So we will go shopping by tge marina in an hour or so. 

Yesterday was Caribbean / Jamaican for dinner, so we opted to eat at the NY pizza restaurant.  We both had sandwiches and split a small pizza. Food was very good and no dessert 😋 for a change.  😀

Weather was perfect for the day and today's forecast looks promising. 

I hope everyone has a great day and I will check in later. 

Pics are from earlier coming in to port. 

20231223_053759.jpg

20231223_053751.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Good morning Daily-ites from beautiful Rotterdam. 

Coffee was delivered at 6 on the dot. I am enjoying a much calmer sea before sunrise. 

Lifting prayers this morning for all on Vanessa's well kept list, my prayer book and Sandi's family and friends. 

Thank you Jacqui,  Ann, Dixie, Debbie, and Vanessa for your support of the Daily. Santa will be very good to you this year!

We are headed towards Half Moon Cay this morning. Our friend who took excellent care of us 2 Christmas past will also be on Zuiderdam at HMC. He writes us every week and we are fond of him. He just found out he doesn't get a break time today while at the island. Saddened to hear..

Oh my there are hundreds of kids on board for this Christmas cruise. Hoping Santa has a smooth landing on board.

Dinner tonight in PG, and having a special menu in Canaletto for Christmas. 

I never imagined being homesick before until we got our little rescue dog this year. So wish he could be here with us.

Wishing everyone a great weekend. Hoping no one has trouble getting to holiday festivities. 

God bless y'all!

• Like 33

Knob Creek Rye Old Fashioned cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Knob Creek® Straight Rye Whiskey
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
½ part Demerara Syrup*
Garnish: Lemon Peel

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir until properly diluted. Strain over fresh ice (ideally one large cube) in a rocks glass. Express lemon oil over cocktail and rub around the rim before placing into the glass.

*To make Demarara syrup combine 2 parts Demarara sugar with 1 part hot water. Mix until syrup consistency.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 6.44.18 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Festivus for the rest of us.  But no feats of strength or airing of grievances for me.

I'll pass on the Christmas movies today.  I don't have any pfeffernusse cookies.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, have the drink and hope the wine is tasty.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.

It's raining here today, no snow.  Bertie and I will go for a walk soon.  The house will smell of wet dog, but who cares? 🙂

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning friends!  Today it is 38 but we will have a high temp of 65 and sunny so not bad at all.  When we leave for Ohio tomorrow it will be 44 and cloudy all day along our route.  

Thanks Jacqui @kazu for posting the Fleet Report and Daily for Rich.  I laughed when I read it's Christmas Movie Marathon Day because I've been watching Christmas movies almost every day for over a month.  Sometimes 2 or 3.  I record them to have on in the background while doing my daily "stuff".  Some of them aren't bad!  Cheers to Festivus and pfeffernusse (a difficult word to spell).  I like the quote, and pass on the beef curry, rye old fashioned and wine.  What a day for Van Gogh.  He was just a little bit unique!  Happy birthday to Paul @kochleffel!  Thanks go to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports each day.❤️

Prayers for my dear CC Daily friends on the Care list and any others in need of them.  My condolences Jacqui @kazu on the passing of your DBIL's DM.  Prayers offered also for the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held and for the family of the one who perished this week, and the military members in danger's way. 🙏 Hoping for a good day for DB.  Meanwhile, safe travels to all getting together with family, happy cruising and congrats to all celebrating special events.  🎂🎉 Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for posting the lists for us each day.  Great job!

I've been working a little bit on the Christmas stocking I was working on these past couple of years.  If you don't pick it up and do something it won't get done but it's so time consuming.  Didn't I post some photos of finished stockings here before?  I'll give you a taste of what they look like with this one I made for my DD.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The little sparkly places on the window pane are clear sequins I had to sew on.  That was different!

Anyway, back to the Daily.  The port today is Santa Barbara, California.  That was the port before on Sept. 24, 2021 and March 15, 2022.  I haven't been to Santa Barbara before.  Here are the links for your convenience.

I plan on doing laundry today including changing sheets, before we leave.  Plus packing and trying not to forget anything.  I'll have my Christmas movies running!   Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser tomorrow's port dates are July 3, 2021 and October 24, 2022.  My photos are not showing up for that port, so I will post them myself later in the day when we arrive.  Thanks for helping out though!  

Hoping you all have a wonderful day!  Stay safe and well!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thank you for today’s daily fleet report.  The alarm clocks had me out of bed by 5:15 demanding breakfast. Apparently they didn’t like the cutbacks in service last week, I got an earful from Amelia. 
Yesterday our plane landed about 20 minutes early.  That allowed us to catch the 4:30 shuttle that ran a little late instead of the 5:30 shuttle we expected to get.  Also upon landing the app let me know that we arrived.  That experience only served to confirm having a hard copy of important travel documents.

Today’s agenda includes laundry, first load underway, a trip to Aldi and an inspection of the outside to look for any storm damage.

One of Juan’s LEGO’s took a hit while we were away and he will probably put it back together this weekend.  That’s assuming he can find all the pieces since the little vandals like to bat the pieces around.

I hope everyone has a good day today and anyone traveling has a safe journey.

image.png.d7c56a773edaed18afa8cf59a5d994e1.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 11

Thank you Rich, Jacqui,  Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  My condolences to @kazu and a Happy Birthday wish to Paul.

No idea what National Pfeffernusse Day is; I'm not feeling very festive, and will pass on the movie marathon. 

I think there's a lot of wisdom in the Walpole quote.

A sad day for van Gough but a great one for communications.

I've been to Santa Barbara just once, I think 2012 on Crystal Symphony.  It was the first time I ever rode a Segway.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Pinnacle Salad and Pinnacle Burger as served on MS Prinsendam December 13, 2013

Roy

• Like 34

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! It is a bit cloudy here this morning, but a balmy 57 degrees. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us! Praying that you get to enjoy at least some of the Holidays and that permanent pain relief happens soon. 

Leaving for the airport around 8:30 this morning. Stopping in Saint Augustine to pick up a friend who just happens to be on the same flight!  Flight lands in Boston around 3:30 🤞🏻.   Dinner with my niece & her SO. Then back to the hotel to settle in. 

IMG_2247.jpeg.56559f189df6fdf8203757a5fa386054.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg.40d475b0c24b5aef71a8f55b5f1ffdfd.jpeg

IMG_2262.jpeg.3c8f89a9417fcbddc4f83577dc0c065b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain and conditions. And those grieving the loss of a loved one. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!
@kochleffel
Happy Birthday, Paul!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2019 Selección de Fincas Ribera del Duero

I used my trusty decoder ring again this morning. 😎

This Tempranillo from Spain sounds lovely.p & it is priced to try.  Lots of consumer fans. I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $14.99.

Winemaker Notes

Wine made with grapes from our vineyards in Villalba del Duero, Burgos. High purple layer. Nose with many notes of black fruits softened by the floral aromas that are punctuated by a touch of mineral from the soil, which is intermingled with the vanilla coming from their brief stay in the barrel. At the palate it is smoothed with a noble tannin which provides a long and persistent after taste. Made with 100% Tempranillo.Perfect pairing with all kinds of fatty meats and game in the form of roasts, stews, in addition to the different cheeses in the area.

91James Suckling

A ripe red with primary berry and grapey character, as well as some plums and chocolate. Medium to full body. Juicy finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 5

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

My continued review of cruise on Reflection from 12/3-12/17 begins Now!

Chapter V, Part 2, What did I Just See!  The ten minute Deli sandwich.

As y’all probably know RNB likes to talk a lot and observe a lot when he cruises. On the referenced cruise I talked with a couple from Canada who we had met six years ago on a HAL cruise and now their winter home is 30 minutes away so we will be getting together. Also met this person who went to same college as I did and thought they had graduated 6-7 years before me but found out just the opposite. Once I found this out I told the Misses I better take another look in the mirror. 😀

Sorry, got side tracked. Back to the 10 minute Deli story. Last week on our first sea day I decided to get a sandwich at the Deli Bar at the Oceanview Cafe. So once the area opened at 12 noon I headed to the bar and arrived with three people in front of me. The first in line was this lady, oh, I mean passenger, was ready to instruct the server what sandwich the passenger wanted. To make a long story short, it took 10 minutes to build her sandwich. The passenger couldn’t decide what type of bread, type of meat or type of cheese. She, I mean the passenger requested samples of Swiss cheese, American cheese, salami, and ham to taste before deciding. So finally the decision was made. “I would like exactly three pieces of ham and exactly one slice of Swiss cheese.” Anything else. “Yes I would like fresh lettuce with no brown spots.” “Wait is that tuna salad?” Yes. “Is it fresh?” For which I replied, “ Miss, I believe the tuna was flown in on JetBlue from Juneau, Alaska yesterday. Would you like me to check what movie was playing?”. Well, that broke the ice and laughter, since there was now 10 people in line for the sandwich. To continue, the lettuce was selected and then she said I would like two of the most ripe slices tomatoes on that tray. Finally she was done I thought. The sandwich was closed and she remembered that she forgot to have mayo and mustard on the bread, so the server removed the bread and put mayo on one side and mustard on the other side of the bread. “Anything else Miss.” Oh, yes, a pickle.

The sandwich was placed on a plate and the passenger left with a large applause from now 14 people in line. She, I mean the passenger was completely oblivious was just happened. Thanks goodness the passenger did not ask for grey poupon or I will still me there typing this story from the ship! 😀

So I now looked at the two men in front of me and told them they each had one minute to get their sandwich or it maybe a knuckle sandwich! 😳

As a side note. I studied Sanitation Engineering in college, and no, it wasn’t the study of picking up garbage. Have y’all ever noticed that when the sandwich server places on those clear plastic gloves they use their bare hand to place one of the gloves on. So the germs on the bare hand makes it to the glove!

I think it just took me longer to type this story than make the sandwich!

Also it would be impossible to make this stuff up!

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 18

Prayers for all in need and thanks to those who help keep this thread alive.  May this be a joyful season for all.

First bit of company came at 5 last night - a 23 year old nephew.  He has slept most of the time since arriving.  Today is a day for picking up last minute food items.  Do you think the stores will be busy???

I have been waiting for an Amazon gift that had been delayed.  Yesterday I got a notice that it was Ontario, Canada (Sent from Baltimore!!) and would be delayed until 12/27.  So I go out and buy a replacement gift.  When I get home there is a notice that said gift will arrive by 10:15 am.  Said gift arrives at 9:25 pm!  I talked yesterday to the Amazon driver — he was very frustrated trying to get all his packages delivered on time.  Poor guy.  Amazon has been a lifesaver for me since the pandemic and this is the first issue I have had so I really can’t complain.

Prayers for all to have a calm and safe day.  Katherine 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Definitely TIS The Season. Stores are bustling with shoppers and it has been cool enough to enjoy the fireplace on occasions. Yesterday we paid the IRS, got our renewed car registrations in the mail and I got most of my clothes picked out and awaiting packing. We both said to each other last night that our “ To Do” list are getting real short.

We were scheduled to visit Santa Barbara on a cruise but they closed the port during Covid times.

Maybe lunch out. Christmas Eve will just be us enjoying our traditional French Meat pie and Christmas Day Susan’s identical twin arrives and the main entree will be a Honey Glazed Ham.

Thanks to all who contribute. Stay safe and be joyful. Bruce

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 22

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports.

Little chilly and cloudy today. 

No real plans for today. Maybe some chores. A good day to relax. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.470cc820ed3f53a0c7e513c36931ea70.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 5

Good morning,

I plan on a quiet day. The grands left at 7 pm last night. It was a long but glorious day. I expect a call sometime this afternoon requesting a sleepover. Of course I will say yes. 

Happy birthday Paul. I am happy to see the cruising list so long. It makes me get excited for my travels. I will pray that everyone will be safe on the road and in the air for their holiday travels. Hopefully there will not be a repeat of last year’s mess!

Molly seems to be turning her nose up at her usual food. She does this from time to time and I will need to mix in some wet food. She may be doing this in protest to my leaving. 

Sandy that stocking is unbelievable. I do not have the patience or the skill!

Have a great day!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1