B2B Tips for a Newbie!

We are covering a lot of firsts this coming spring.  First Transatlantic, First B2B and just to make it fun, we are doing B2B2B.  At this point, it looks like we will have three different rooms, but that is just logistics.  What has me in a quandary at the moment is packing and laundry.  Altogether - we will have 22 days on board ship and 3 nights at hotels.  Any suggestions for clothing /  packing / laundry services?  I really don't want to lug 15 suitcases and I know there are experts on here that do this all the time.  THANK YOU!

It would help to know what cruise line you are on, and whether they have self serve laundry.  But a lot of it depends on how you like to dress.  Remember that they are three different cruises, so three different groups who will not know if you wore that outfit before.  You can always send out laundry, though it may seem pricey.  It’s a matter of convenience.  I’m an old lady who has to lug her own baggage, and 11 years ago while dragging luggage across Piazzale Roma in Venice determined I would never again travel with luggage larger than carryon.  I’m not hard on my clothing, I have assembled a wardrobe that is lightweight, packs well, and can be hand washed in the sink if necessary.  Limit shoes is one key.  Do you really need a different pair of shoes for each outfit?  
   For perhaps more helpful advice, ask on the board here for the cruise line you are sailing.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

It would help to know what cruise line you are on, and whether they have self serve laundry.  But a lot of it depends on how you like to dress. 

Thank you!  I am sailing on RCL.  They do not have self-serve laundry.  They do have a bag you can fill with socks, underwear, tshirts on day 5 of a 7 night.  Not sure how that works on the 12 night TA we will be starting this journey with.  We don't dress in the evening gown/tux's anymore; and what I bring for "formal nights" can roll and still look great.  I cannot imagine doing it in a carry-on; but we have gotten down to one decent sized bag for each of us.

18 minutes ago, tessa_59 said:

Thank you!  I am sailing on RCL.  They do not have self-serve laundry.  They do have a bag you can fill with socks, underwear, tshirts on day 5 of a 7 night.  Not sure how that works on the 12 night TA we will be starting this journey with.  We don't dress in the evening gown/tux's anymore; and what I bring for "formal nights" can roll and still look great.  I cannot imagine doing it in a carry-on; but we have gotten down to one decent sized bag for each of us.

Maybe ask on the RCI board?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

• Like 2

I pack  mix n match / wash n wear type clothing

even for  a month we manage with 1  -26 " case each

Pack  for  a week then do laundry or use the sink in the cabin for what you can hand wash

I have washed DH  Columbia shirts in the sink they dry overnight 

Enjoy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, tessa_59 said:

Any suggestions for clothing /  packing / laundry services?  

- I'm a Southerner and I love thin, gauzy tops -- they're easy to wash out in the sink and dry in a heartbeat.  I'd bring along a couple plastic hangers for drying, and I'd plan to use the no-good shampoo in the cruise ship's bathroom as washing detergent.  

- You'll probably need something warmer than those thin tops, so I'd bring a couple cardigans (or similar) to coordinate with those tops.  Worn over thing tops, these won't require washing over the course of a cruise.  

- I'd bring a couple pairs of dark pants, which can work with multiple tops and if they require washing I wouldn't mind sending them to the ship's laundry.  

- I'd consider bringing old, ready-for-discarding socks and underwear.  Just toss once they've been worn.  Maybe the same for nightgowns.  

- Dinner dresses can be worn a couple times, as you're not going to be out getting sweaty in them. I'm thinking a transatlantic might be chilly, so consider cardigans that'd work with these dresses as well as with your daytime outfits.  

- Will your hotels have self-serve laundry?  If so, I'd pack a couple laundry pods (in ziplocks) and would plan to do laundry late at night.  I personally would do this /plan to catch up on sleep during all those at-sea days.  

14 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I would never again travel with luggage larger than carryon.  I’m not hard on my clothing, I have assembled a wardrobe that is lightweight, packs well, and can be hand washed in the sink if necessary.  Limit shoes is one key.  

I could've said this.  A carry-on can hold an awful lot of stuff, if you fold things small.  

Yes to limiting shoes ... for a typical cruise, I'd go with one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of walking sandals, one pair of dressy dinner shoes (probably wedges, as they're more sturdy). 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

I've done carryon only for years, mostly because I often have train travel before and/or after cruising, and handling luggage gettin on a train is a challenge. I wash all but slacks each night - those I send to the laundry. I have a pre-cruise tip - clothes that you plan on packing - do a trial wash in sink at home and see how they handle it. To exterpolate from there - try washing items you think will be ok, and would send to ship laundry. Wash in warm water and dry on medium heat to see if they can take it (better to ruin it at home where you have more clothing choices to wear). Personally I select travel clothing for washing/drying time/ wrinkling/ color fastness. I've travelled as long as 5 weeks with a carryon, and other than being fairly tired of some outfits never had a problem.

• Like 1

IDK if you want to hear this ... I did a 12 day transatlantic cruise from NY to Amsterdam.  Flew to Ireland ... spent 3 days at an airbnb in Dublin and then met up with a land tour group for 2 week bus tour around Ireland.  I did laundry bag on ship 2X in 12 days.  I had drop & p/u laundry service in Dublin.  Then 1 hotel we were there for 2 nights and I did a pleading, begging rush drop & deliver laundry service.  I packed in a 22" rolling duffel and a beach bag for the whole month!  I tied my sneakers to the outside straps of the duffel bag so they didn't take up space inside.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWarren3549 said:

IDK if you want to hear this ... I did a 12 day transatlantic cruise from NY to Amsterdam.  Flew to Ireland ... spent 3 days at an airbnb in Dublin and then met up with a land tour group for 2 week bus tour around Ireland.  I did laundry bag on ship 2X in 12 days.  I had drop & p/u laundry service in Dublin.  Then 1 hotel we were there for 2 nights and I did a pleading, begging rush drop & deliver laundry service.  I packed in a 22" rolling duffel and a beach bag for the whole month!  I tied my sneakers to the outside straps of the duffel bag so they didn't take up space inside.  

I actually emailed a laundry service in Southampton.  We have a quick 2-day cruise that round trips there.  I was thinking we could drop off some laundry and pick up when we come back.  I think between that and the ship discount bags we should be good.  All these tips definitely helped me put together a plan.

Hi, 15 suitcases?😠 I hope you were just exaggerating.  I pack the same way every cruise, no matter the days away. One checked bag and one carry on. I will wear the same pants many times and bring various tops that don't take up much space. . I have learned over the years, nobody cares what I wear.

I agree with mix and match and send my clothes out to have the ship clean them. 

Hope you have a wonderful trip😃

Did 35 day trip last year packing in a 22" roller and backpack each - possible if you want to.  We are not clothes horses and none of our travel was in hot/humid climate.  The first leg was 12 night TA so I planned laundry on day 4 and 9.  I pack a capsule wardrobe knowing I can usually wear a bottom piece 3 times using knit or hiking fabric which wipes off, 5 daytime tops which can be rinsed and worn a second time, and black slacks and three nicer tops for dinner.  Limit shoes because they are so big.  I plan on pajamas and underclothes every 4 days going to the laundry, just part of the budget.  We then had 6 days on land, traveling between cities by train so again small luggage helped.  There we found a drop off laundry in Prague and Budapest to have clothes cleaned - available next day.  Then boarded a 15 day river cruise where I again paid for laundry on personal items and dressier clothes - those were returned by evening and lovely.  This is not for everyone but how we choose to travel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, 15 suitcases?😠 I hope you were just exaggerating.

Oh absolutely!  When we first started cruising we would bring 4 of the biggest suitcases we could find for the two of us and fill them to the airline limits.  Over the years this has reduced with every sailing.  I am not to the point of being able to do it in a carry-on, but I bring one suitcase for each of us and they are not the giant ones.  It helps that we do not have to do evening gowns and suits and all the accompaniments.  I generally bring a couple of pairs of slacks for evenings, a dress or two that can be day or night, lots of tops - still probably too many - and some comfortable pants. 

1 hour ago, SbbquilterUT said:

This is not for everyone but how we choose to travel.

I want to be you when I grow up!  The earlier I start packing, the worse I do so I have started waiting until the day before we leave.  Less chance of "one more thinging" my luggage to death!

3 hours ago, tessa_59 said:

I want to be you when I grow up!  The earlier I start packing, the worse I do so I have started waiting until the day before we leave.  Less chance of "one more thinging" my luggage to death!

You have to want to do it but I am so glad to have easy to manage luggage and not a lot of stuff around the cabin.  At my age I figure no one is looking to me for fashion inspiration 😎

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have learned over the years, nobody cares what I wear.

Many years I ran a little contest. I tried to remember what anyone I worked with had worn to work the previous day. Women only as the male component was too easy. Didn't get a single one. So, yeah, I pack like you do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tessa_59 said:

Our dining room gets covered and becomes our "staging area." It's great when things get removed from that area.

18 hours ago, tessa_59 said:

Mrs Ldubs likes to pack a few weeks ahead.  I on the other hand, under intense pressure to do otherwise, like to pack as late a possible.   The "one more thingy" or swapping out things is real!  I mention that to Mrs Ldubs all the time.  🙂

• Like 1

@tessa_59...I know your question is about laundry, but here's additional information on B2B (in your case B3B) with Royal Caribbean.

* If you decide to stay onboard on TAD (turn around day), there's a special lunch for B2B passengers.

* If you decide to leave the ship, make sure to get an "In-Transit" card, along with your new seapass card. The In-Transit card will allow you to bypass all the lines when you return. (You still have to go through the security line)

* Switching cabins...let your cabin steward know and he'll move all your stuff for you. Pack all your small stuff...toiletries, undies, shoes...in your luggage. Leave all clothes hanging...he will move them as is. We attach a new luggage tag with the new cabin number...just in case. Make sure the safe is empty.

* Perhaps introduce yourself to the new cabin steward (during the first week), in case you have special needs.

Happy sailing! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

@tessa_59...I know your question is about laundry, but here's additional information on B2B (in your case B3B) with Royal Caribbean.

Thank you @bonsai3s  this will be our 20th year cruising but we had never been able to take a B2B before due to work. When we first booked this, there was a two day gap between sailings. When we decided to fill the two days with a mini cruise, I was worried about having to lug our luggage off the ship and back on twice. I had learned before your post about the moving of the room by the steward, but this is the first I’ve heard of a lunch. These B2B sailings are sounding more and more exciting.