Celebrity…please read this!

I was so excited to book another cruise.  And then I read the recent reviews on this board regarding the Summit.  I was shocked to read a few reoccurring themes including:

• rust on balconies 
  • outdoor cushions bear thread, dirty or missing 
  • slow drains in showers
  • unhappy, disinterested crew members
  • maintenance issues (e.g., missing elevator buttons)

I was shocked to read these comments.  I know most reviews are typically negative ones but when you read the same comments over and over, then there must be some weight to them.  

The Summit has always been the ship that stole my heart. I traveled on her many many times over the years.  She is my favorite.  I would say its like coming home when I board.  

I hope Celebrity has read the reviews and is taking swift action!

I’m still excited to be boarding soon! 

• Haha 1

Celebrity is more concerned about the after cruise surveys than reviews written on this forum

why does rust upset people ? 
do want hear chipping all day long as the fix all the rust on balconies 🤔🤣

• Like 5

At least the Summit and Millie have had updates whereas Connie and Infinity haven’t…I am booked on Infinity in September and having doubts…

I don’t mind a bit of rust here and there but there is a limit to how shabby a ship can be without it loosing its ‘chic’…

• Like 2

Why borrow trouble from tomorrow???  I suppose I don't understand the point of this thread.  Do you think Celebrity has ignored all of the posted reviews you reference but your thread will garner their immediate attention and as a result they will mobilize an army of workers to resolve any of your anticipated concerns before you step onboard?

Why not just relax, stop worrying about what you have read from others, and enjoy your cruise?  If there are things about your sailing that trouble you then let Celebrity know.  What others notice may be unimportant to you and your experience may differ from what you have read in some recent reviews.  In my decades of cruising I have often found that one person will describe what an awful cruise experience they had when another person on the very same sailing will report that it was the most glorious trip of a lifetime!

It appears that with the exception of one or two cruises, you have sailed extensively, and exclusively, on Celebrity over the past ten years.  If you haven't noticed any issues then that should tell you all you need to know!

Enjoy your cruises!  🙂

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

When we sailed Disney, people were complaining about how the carpet in the Atrium looked, and that it always looked dirty. Well I posted a picture from 1 deck above that was 3-4 cruises after the carpet had been replaced, and people were like yeh that is what we are talking about look at it. All it was was the vacuum direction lol.

The point is we have found over the years that many think a ship should be scrapped for rust, normal wear and tear, etc. Some people forget that many of these ships are older and are going to be seasoned. People with these expectations should only sail on new ships. I know with X that means E class so they may need to look elsewhere.

I do think that X cruisers, people that have cruised more, are more tolerant of this, at least on the boards, where as Disney with a lot of new cruisers and they expected perfection.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 3

I just laugh at complaints about rust, missing elevator buttons, curtains, etc. because in mid-2022 we sailed on a cruise of another line that had multiple elevators out of service for the entire two weeks we were on, every public bathroom had at least one non-working toilet and often a non-working sink, buckets could be seen in the halls for leaks, the AC didn’t work in parts so you were constantly walking in and out of cold and hot areas, so many tiles were loose in the pool they could be stacked into designs, etc.

Those, especially all on the same ship at the same time, were significant maintenance issues to me and although they didn’t ruin our cruise at times they made it a little less pleasant. I expect there to be rust on a ship that lives on the ocean and curtains and cushions won’t stay new forever. 

Although I haven’t sailed the Summit recently, I have cruised the Constellation (a non-revolutionized sister to the Summit) twice in the last couple of years and I found it to be in good condition for a ship of its age (despite negative reviews I have read).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

If you want someone at Celebrity to read your concerns, email them.  

Unfortunately emailing them from Australia doesn't seem to garner the same response as emailing from USA.

Case in point - drink upcharges - people in USA report receiving a phone call the same or next day. While I don't expect a phone call, I did expect a response to my email sent on 27 December.

10 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

I was so excited to book another cruise.  And then I read the recent reviews on this board regarding the Summit.  I was shocked to read a few reoccurring themes including:

• rust on balconies 
  • slow drains in showers

I was shocked to read these comments.  I know most reviews are typically negative ones but when you read the same comments over and over, then there must be some weight to them.  

The Summit has always been the ship that stole my heart. I traveled on her many many times over the years.  She is my favorite.  I would say its like coming home when I board.  

I've been on the Summit once each year since 2021 and will be cruising on her again in two months. I haven't had any of the particular concerns you listed, though I confess I haven't stayed in one of their balcony cabins. I hope to have another great experience on the Summit soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

• rust on balconies 
  • slow drains in showers

LOL - if I was working at Celebrity and responding to customer emails, I wouldn't place much credence in a pre-complaint. It's one thing to complain about things that have actually taken place but to complain in anticipation - based on things read on-line - is hilarious.

• Like 1

I was on the Summit in December and didn't notice any of those issues, except perhaps some rust on exterior surfaces. Definitely didn't come across any unhappy-seeming crew.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

• rust on balconies 
  • slow drains in showers

executiveoffice@celebrity.com

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

• rust on balconies 
  • slow drains in showers

If that is the worst you have to deal with, I would say you will be having a good cruise.

Rust happens on all ships. It is floating steel on salt water. Rust is going to happen, no matter how good the maintenance.

Outdoor furnishings get worn down.

Slow drains? The previous cruisers probably shaved their backs in the shower.

Unhappy crewmembers? That could be a reflection on how the entitled passengers are treating them at that time.

If you look hard enough you can find general issues that need maintenance all over the ship, no matter what ship or cruise line you may be on. Be it Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity or Cunard. 

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did you happen to read @Stem to Stern’ s live side by side review of Summit and MSC?  He provided a lot of pics of the Summit as well as a pretty positive review of the ship/overall experience. In fact, I’m looking at cruises on the Summit as a result. Personally, I wouldn’t give the negative nellies a second thought. 

• Like 3

The Summit is near and dear to our hearts as well.  Until this year, this was the ship in our home port of Bayonne.  Was great to drive just an hour without worrying about airfare.  We enjoy all of the different size classes of ships, but the small size of this ship made it seem more relaxed and friendly.  I never looked for rust so never saw it and never had a slow shower drain.  The crew members have always been fantastic.  Want the ship to return to Bayonne so we can continue each year in sailing to Bermuda on her.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

• rust on balconies 
  • slow drains in showers

I'm happy to read your last sentence.   If someone goes on a cruise expecting a bad time, that's probably what they will get.  

Enjoy. 

We were on the Summit for 10 days in October and it was great. A few spots of rust on the balcony, but nothing big. Salt water does that. The crew’s service and attitudes were outstanding. The ship was impeccably clean. We sailed on the Apex in August, and actually preferred the Summit.