The Fleet Report and Daily for January 6th, 2024

kazu

41 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Outside my door.  This was a while ago, so there’s more snow now. 

Lovely to look at, but do NOT ask me to deal with it! 😉

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2024 at 11:25 AM, Haljo1935 said:

First menu I received today did not have daily specials listed. After seeing Tablemates' menus did have specials, I asked for another menu. So, it may be the other times my menu didn't have specials I simply received the wrong menu.

20240105_180928.thumb.jpg.cf3284edff7e3bb54a90a019f6893678.jpg

20240105_163806.thumb.jpg.cbaa3fd29ccb5cee1886abc9a169299e.jpg

I had the French Toast from the daily special section.

20240105_180916.thumb.jpg.2efc4fe136614133843fa192c0932c1f.jpg

Tablemate had one of the skillets.

20240105_180901.thumb.jpg.c1942e5dda52898435b42e6d4a956bf2.jpg

This happened to me several times on the Volendam, not just at breakfast but at lunch too. 

32 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Sharon, when I went on my TA this year, then 3 weeks in Germany, I bought a case that is for insulin syringes and has cold packs. I stored the medication in the fridge on the ship, and in Germany. I asked for a sharps container on the ship using the special needs form prior to cruising, and just packed the syringe used in Germany in the case to bring home. Now I'm back on these big pens for injections, which had been unavailable for a while. 

Vanessa, Thank You so much for this information!  I searched and searched last night and this morning on the HAL website for information about a sharps container without any luck. Did you ask your PCC or TA for this form or did you find it on the website?  Thanks again!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 15

I love the meme about the age numbers of Anders Celcius and Daniel Fahrenheit.  I just hope that I never encounter the temperature at which the two of them agree and coincide..........minus 40 degrees!!!

• Like 17

7 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

This happened to me several times on the Volendam, not just at breakfast but at lunch too. 

Vanessa, Thank You so much for this information!  I searched and searched last night and this morning on the HAL website for information about a sharps container without any luck. Did you ask your PCC or TA for this form or did you find it on the website?  Thanks again!

Not Vanessa, but wanted to weigh in. My sister used to ask for a sharps container in advance and it would be waiting in the cabin, but now we just ask Cabin Steward on 1st day and get one w/no issues.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I'm getting a lot further along today on my cross stitch work which makes me feel a lot better.  Things are very quiet today!

3 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Good morning from beautiful Arizona. My brother, dear sisters, sil & bils and I spent a final week with our mother, Ruth as she (without much pain & rather peacefully) left us on 1/4/24. 4/7/1920-1/4/2024

Not surprised that her final days would be under beautiful Arizona skies, perfect weather and surrounded by all of her children. She was certainly the ‘wind beneath our wings’.

We travel to Southern California today, repack and return to Arizona for  visitation and services on Wednesday and Thursday. Not an easy time but certainly not the worst week either as we are surrounded with kindness, love and plenty of laughter. 

Comfort & prayers for the Daily-ites. 

My condolences on DM Ruth's death.  I remember you speaking of her often and the nice visits with her on special days like her birthday.  Safe travels to you.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cold and waiting for the snow to start morning. 
Yesterday was Houdini’s wellness visit with the vet . He had actually gained weight and the thyroid medication is working well. He also got his rabies shot and is good for 6 months. 
I need to ask for prayers for my friend Debbi . I just had a card from her husband Ron with the heartbreaking news that she is being treated for dementia 💔 We’ve been friends for 50 years and their wedding anniversary is coming up on Wednesday. 48 years ❤️

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Prayers for your friends Ron and Debbi.  My friends Sandy and Bob are going through that exact same thing.  You don't wish that on anyone.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your DM, Ruth.  I am glad that the family was all able to be with her when she passed.

@StLouisCruisers thinking of you and hugs on the anniversary of your DS Nancy's passing.

Thank you Debbie.  It would have been her birthday today. 😢

2 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:
Might as well give you our weather report as many like to do : Currently it is 0 degrees ( Celsius of coarse ) and it feels like -5 C . There is snow on the roof and a sprinkling on the ground , high time to go on a cruise soon !  So for you down South 0 is the point when water freezes !

Today just a couple of pictures from our cruise in 2013  on the Oosterdam from Auckland to Vancouver in the spring of 2013 . We made it through all three inlets in Fiordland National Park that day , had sunny but cool and very calm weather. Milford Sound / Piopiotahi was the most impressive one of the three . It had been a dry summer in N.Z so there were not a lot of waterfalls to be seen that year .

image.thumb.jpeg.3512c08940948dc4dc1a840476c6471b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0a5ac0009482ed71877fa9c60777ceba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fde82961c5c2693601785736e2214076.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.49327fc4db398477f3af2628010c1361.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf6dbb2f14a27a427d0f28e561ff46f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8b3269608b0d4a77973ab52d16324f77.jpeg

After that day we had to cross what the locals call “ The Ditch “ ,  which is the Tasman Sea named after Abel Tasman to Hobart, Tasmania for a couple of days where very often it can be a  very, very rough crossing . Ours was nice and calm.

BTW Abel Tasman was a Dutch seafarer and explorer best known for his voyages in 1642 and 1644 in the service of the Dutch East India Company searching for routes and looking for uncharted regions  in the South Pacific Ocean when he first reached Tasmania ( which he had named Van Dieman’s Land and soon thereafter the West Coast of New Zealand so named after the Province of Zeeland in the 
Netherlands ( * Wikipedia ) 

Tony 😄

A beautiful day in Milford Sound, Tony.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon to all.

Trying to post earlier than the past few days.

Today started out with the news that my cleaning lady canceled.  She hurt her back and is unable to come.  Doesn’t know when she will be back.  Haven’t seen her since the beginning of Dec.  Time to look for someone else.  I need consistency.  I hate to let her go because I trust her.  

I ended up doing some cleaning this morning but with PMR, I know I will suffer later.  All that kind of activity only ends up causing a flare-up.

Will do some more tomorrow.  

Things are moving right along here.

On Tuesday we are going down to Jacksonville to the Mayo Clinic.  I will have two cancerous lesions removed.  One on each leg.  We will stay overnight and come home on Wednesday morning.  

On Thursday, Jim sees the Neurologistl. Hopefully with some answers and some plan for treatment.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we can keep this under control.

I am trying to deal with each day as it comes.  Not too easy.

Have a good day everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, good luck with your skin cancer removals on Tuesday.  And with Jim's neurologist appointment.  Fingers crossed for you both. 🤞

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Sitting at San Diego Airport waiting to go home as I disembarked K'dam this morning. She's in good order with a great crew - you'll be in good hands!! Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Welcome home (soon)!!

50 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

IMG_3214.thumb.jpeg.dd1490f71ae0de0d1a9615d13bbca856.jpeg

Vanessa, if Atlanta had that much snow they would close the airport!  Happened to us in 2017, I believe it was.  After a loooong flight from Sydney we were told we could go no further because the airport was closed in Atlanta.  We ended up spending the weekend at a hotel next to LAX until they could get us rebooked on Delta.  Sheesh!  By the way, I like seeing your American flag at your doorway.  Also, thanks for your Milford Sound photos.  Always an amazingly beautiful scenic cruising day.

And to @tjcox9 thank you for your photos taken at Salisbury Plain.  I may have forgotten to tell you earlier.  Great memories for us both.

44 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, great pictures and commentary today!  Love your blog. 

@Norseh2o, condolences to you and your family on your loss. Wonderful that the family could be together with her. She sounds like an amazing person. 

@1ANGELCAT,  thoughts and prayers for your friend and her family. 

Have a great day everyone!

Thank you Sharon - I'm glad you enjoyed them.

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the Saturday report.  I'll celebrate Epiphany, will pass on Bean Day, and haven't mentored anyone in years

The quote leaves me a bit cold.

Not sure what the implications are of the Rump Parliament act but it sounds like a great day for Astronomy. 

I've been to Milford Sound 3 times, 2003 on a land  trip, 2018 on Crystal Symphony, and 2020 on Crystal Serenity.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Roasted and Raw Carrot Salad. Baked Rigatoni w/ Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart as served on MS Prinsendam January 6, 2019.

dishes06.jpg

I actually got home from my errands a little after 10, mall walk, groceries, and about an hour at the fire house.  I was planning to do a couple of other things but when I left the firehouse what seemed to be sleet was falling and I came straight home.  May have been a lot of wasted time as the computer seems to have eaten my treasurer report.

It seems to be pure rain right now and is predicted to get heavier for the Ravens game. 

Monday will be a challenging day as well.  First radiation treatment at noon, church finance meeting at 4, FD board at 6, and FD membership at 7.

Condolences to @Norseh2o.

Roy

Roy, best of luck to you on Monday with your first treatment.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

27 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Not Vanessa, but wanted to weigh in. My sister used to ask for a sharps container in advance and it would be waiting in the cabin, but now we just ask Cabin Steward on 1st day and get one w/no issues.

Thank you!  Now I know not to freak out about this. Whew!

• Like 15

6 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning from Falmouth Jamaica.  Thank you for the lovely photos Sandi!  We are going ashore for a while today. Last year we had a different berth and there was a Jamaican government warning about crime so we stayed aboard.   

Bon voyage @Suslor🍾🏝️🛳️

Ocho Rios was pretty good last Monday. I thought the drivers and vendors were at least trying to be polite. We have never been to Falmouth. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I have a question for those who travel with prescription injectables. So, at my last derm appointment my doctor told me that she thinks I have eczema and not psoriasis. They can look similar. She has started me on an injectable biologic and I should receive it next week. My question is what type of sharps container do you take?  I found some travel ones but hate to purchase one without my good Dailyite friends advice. I will only need to do one injection during our cruise so I guess it doesn’t have to be too big. Just curious what others do while traveling. 

Sharon, when I used to do daily injections, I filled out the form for a sharps container.  Now, I only do one injection a week.  I usually just take the used needles home and dispose of them here since there aren't that many to deal with. 

My PCC sent me the forms and sometimes the container is in the room and sometimes not.  The room stewards will be happy to procure one for you.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, Suslor said:

Thank you all for the bon voyage messages. Now I feel really bad that I didn’t let Jacqui @kazu know that we had to cancel almost at the last minute.

No worries - I just hate doing a BV for people who can’t go and feel like I am rubbing it in 😔  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It seems to be pure rain right now and is predicted to get heavier for the Ravens game. 

Monday will be a challenging day as well.  First radiation treatment at noon, church finance meeting at 4, FD board at 6, and FD membership at 7.

My very best wishes for your procedure on Monday, Roy 🙏 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  The sun is still shining and it looks very inviting until you check the temperature.  It's 60F and windy, so I guess I'll enjoy the day through the window.  

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cold and waiting for the snow to start morning. 
Yesterday was Houdini’s wellness visit with the vet . He had actually gained weight and the thyroid medication is working well. He also got his rabies shot and is good for 6 months. 
I need to ask for prayers for my friend Debbi . I just had a card from her husband Ron with the heartbreaking news that she is being treated for dementia 💔 We’ve been friends for 50 years and their wedding anniversary is coming up on Wednesday. 48 years ❤️

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

That is good news that Houdini is doing well and gained weight.  Sending good thoughts for your friend Debbi and her husband as the face the days ahead as she battles dementia.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu and @richwmn.

Beans are nutritious. I'll salute 3 Kings Day, and start putting away the few decorations I put up. I have been a mentor during my work days, and appreciate those who mentored me in the past (early for Jan 7). I'll have to think about the quote. I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine. I have been to Milford Sound. 

It's 35F and snowing for the last hour. I got about 3 hours of sleep last night, without taking anything. I'll be in for the weekend, doing some tidying up as my leg allows. I also have a diamond dot kit I want to start, as well as the picture of us puzzle that BFF gave me for Christmas. For the first time I have hired someone to do snow removal, as I don't think I could manage that.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos of both Milford Sound and South Georgia Island.

@Seasick Sailor  I hope your niece and fiancé have mild cases. Sorry to hear about your friend having falls. 

@aliaschief Enjoy the sea day. Wow on that sunrise.

@Crazy For Cats I get the same response when I take my car in; it's 9 years old and I don't have 30k miles on it yet, although I'm close now.

@tjcox9 Wow, that's a lot of penguins!

@ottahand7 Good looking meal. Go Steelers! 😉

@quilty964 Thanks for sharing a photo of you and Cooper. Are you on Rotterdam on the 26th?

@Mr. Boston Safe travels today. They say Boston might get lots of snow.

@RMLincoln You're getting a lot done! It's nice that so many services are available right on campus. I worry about getting to my winter appointments if the weather is bad. Speaking of eye drops, I opened a new bottle, shook it, and the drops didn't come out creamy white like they should. I used them 2 days and my eye didn't feel right, so I tossed them and opened another bottle that came out the right color.

@smitty34877 Prayers that the issues you're having settle down and that the hospice nurse can help. 

@ukpylot Have a great cruise and Welcome to the Daily!

@Suslor Sorry you had to cancel. Rest and recover from your Covid episode, and look forward to the Far East cruise.

@VMax1700 We'd love to have those temps for winter!

@Norseh2o My deepest condolences to you and your family on the loss of your DM. It was great that the family could be with her. I hope your memories will be of comfort to you all.

@1ANGELCAT Prayers for your friend Debbi and her DH. It's so hard. I watched dementia affect my DM.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Heading to Milford Sound on the Statendam (2006)

1360710185_456-HeadingtoMilfordSound.thumb.JPG.e3ab5d3eafc04b93127e2a6528c7f270.JPG

462.thumb.JPG.3bcee60d6380569643c312cb4b008e61.JPG

Milford Sound Elephant Mountain

1878348120_465-MilfordSoundElephantMountain.thumb.JPG.05078eeb6a0fd5d51bcf4d203cee4215.JPG

Seals

468b.thumb.JPG.cd238e6f637bb2a4bc2710d9a15c5a61.JPG

Stirling Falls

1445565964_474-StirlingFalls.thumb.JPG.a77c8c098719222088cf554d25f583e8.JPG

479.thumb.JPG.264754fb19e7bd2fc34c0f4bceb897b2.JPG

Passengers who did a land trip returning to the ship

1118022707_498-Shipbringingpassengerswhodidalandstop.thumb.JPG.95cae5b0f981801edab61d39a5c7b475.JPG

Crouching Lion Mountain (right), Milford Sound

656964880_501-CrouchingLionMountain(r)MilfordSound.thumb.JPG.db8db46f902d681f072e73a64c35fce8.JPG

Vanessa, I was hoping you would get more sleep last night, but three hours is still a slight improvement.  Thank  you for your pictures of Milford Sound.  I'm glad you hired someone to take care of the snow removal.

3 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:
Might as well give you our weather report as many like to do : Currently it is 0 degrees ( Celsius of coarse ) and it feels like -5 C . There is snow on the roof and a sprinkling on the ground , high time to go on a cruise soon !  So for you down South 0 is the point when water freezes !

Today just a couple of pictures from our cruise in 2013  on the Oosterdam from Auckland to Vancouver in the spring of 2013 . We made it through all three inlets in Fiordland National Park that day , had sunny but cool and very calm weather. Milford Sound / Piopiotahi was the most impressive one of the three . It had been a dry summer in N.Z so there were not a lot of waterfalls to be seen that year .

image.thumb.jpeg.3512c08940948dc4dc1a840476c6471b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0a5ac0009482ed71877fa9c60777ceba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fde82961c5c2693601785736e2214076.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.49327fc4db398477f3af2628010c1361.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf6dbb2f14a27a427d0f28e561ff46f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8b3269608b0d4a77973ab52d16324f77.jpeg

After that day we had to cross what the locals call “ The Ditch “ ,  which is the Tasman Sea named after Abel Tasman to Hobart, Tasmania for a couple of days where very often it can be a  very, very rough crossing . Ours was nice and calm.

BTW Abel Tasman was a Dutch seafarer and explorer best known for his voyages in 1642 and 1644 in the service of the Dutch East India Company searching for routes and looking for uncharted regions  in the South Pacific Ocean when he first reached Tasmania ( which he had named Van Dieman’s Land and soon thereafter the West Coast of New Zealand so named after the Province of Zeeland in the 
Netherlands ( * Wikipedia ) 

Tony 😄

Tony, thanks for the pictures of Milford Sound.  It looks like you had very good weather that day.  Also, thanks for the information on Abel Tasman, a very interesting and brave man.

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon to all.

Trying to post earlier than the past few days.

Today started out with the news that my cleaning lady canceled.  She hurt her back and is unable to come.  Doesn’t know when she will be back.  Haven’t seen her since the beginning of Dec.  Time to look for someone else.  I need consistency.  I hate to let her go because I trust her.  

I ended up doing some cleaning this morning but with PMR, I know I will suffer later.  All that kind of activity only ends up causing a flare-up.

Will do some more tomorrow.  

Things are moving right along here.

On Tuesday we are going down to Jacksonville to the Mayo Clinic.  I will have two cancerous lesions removed.  One on each leg.  We will stay overnight and come home on Wednesday morning.  

On Thursday, Jim sees the Neurologistl. Hopefully with some answers and some plan for treatment.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we can keep this under control.

I am trying to deal with each day as it comes.  Not too easy.

Have a good day everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm sorry  your cleaning lady hurt her back and cannot come.  While you trust her, you need someone reliable.  Safe travels Tuesday and Wednesday to Jacksonville and back, and best wishes for a safe and easy procedure to removed the lesions.  I hope the neurologist visit on Thursday for your DH goes well, and that he will be able to help you keep things under control.

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Just

checking in from the Volendam..... I am very comfortable in my cabin but I am finding that my walking is far less steady than it used to be. I may have to rethink some of my tour plans. Not really a surprise.

And I need to work on sending emails with this tablet..... my fingers are too fat.

Durango is going to be hit with the second of three snow storms with 10 inches expected. So glad I am not there.

Miss my dogs, but they would not enjoy the trip.

Susan

Susan, I'm glad your cabin is comfortable.  I hope after the rough seas start to the cruise, you will get your sea legs, and your walking will become more stable.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

IMG_3214.thumb.jpeg.dd1490f71ae0de0d1a9615d13bbca856.jpeg

Vanessa, that's the way I like to see snow, on a computer screen.  It always looks so pretty, especially when no one has walked in the new snow.

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Saturday from a cold for us Tucson. The low this morning was 32F. 

The other day I told Craig not to take down the Nativity until the Wise Men came and he replied that it took two years. Well, two years is what scholars say but tradition is 12 days after Jesus birth. He took it down anyway. 

I have a question for those who travel with prescription injectables. So, at my last derm appointment my doctor told me that she thinks I have eczema and not psoriasis. They can look similar. She has started me on an injectable biologic and I should receive it next week. My question is what type of sharps container do you take?  I found some travel ones but hate to purchase one without my good Dailyite friends advice. I will only need to do one injection during our cruise so I guess it doesn’t have to be too big. Just curious what others do while traveling. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, so good to hear from you!  Glad that the cruise is going well. Oh my goodness sakes, Oliver is just too cute and I totally get why you miss him. He will be so excited upon your return home!  🐾. I am so sorry about your friend falling. Hopefully no injuries. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, great pictures and commentary today!  Love your blog. 

@Norseh2o, condolences to you and your family on your loss. Wonderful that the family could be together with her. She sounds like an amazing person. 

@1ANGELCAT,  thoughts and prayers for your friend and her family. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, as others have said, I know they provide sharps containers, but I'm wondering since you will only need one injection, if you could take the used syringe to medical and put it in their sharps container.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the Saturday report.  I'll celebrate Epiphany, will pass on Bean Day, and haven't mentored anyone in years

The quote leaves me a bit cold.

Not sure what the implications are of the Rump Parliament act but it sounds like a great day for Astronomy. 

I've been to Milford Sound 3 times, 2003 on a land  trip, 2018 on Crystal Symphony, and 2020 on Crystal Serenity.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Roasted and Raw Carrot Salad. Baked Rigatoni w/ Italian Sausage, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart as served on MS Prinsendam January 6, 2019.

dishes06.jpg

I actually got home from my errands a little after 10, mall walk, groceries, and about an hour at the fire house.  I was planning to do a couple of other things but when I left the firehouse what seemed to be sleet was falling and I came straight home.  May have been a lot of wasted time as the computer seems to have eaten my treasurer report.

Condolences to @Norseh2o.

Roy

Roy, I hope all goes well Monday for your first radiation treatment.  I hope you don't over do after the treatment.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I love the meme about the age numbers of Anders Celcius and Daniel Fahrenheit.  I just hope that I never encounter the temperature at which the two of them agree and coincide..........minus 40 degrees!!!

Glad you liked the meme.  Where their scales meet is to darn cold.  

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm getting a lot further along today on my cross stitch work which makes me feel a lot better.  Things are very quiet today!

My condolences on DM Ruth's death.  I remember you speaking of her often and the nice visits with her on special days like her birthday.  Safe travels to you.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Vanessa, if Atlanta had that much snow they would close the airport!  Happened to us in 2017, I believe it was.  After a loooong flight from Sydney we were told we could go no further because the airport was closed in Atlanta.  We ended up spending the weekend at a hotel next to LAX until they could get us rebooked on Delta.  Sheesh!  By the way, I like seeing your American flag at your doorway.  Also, thanks for your Milford Sound photos.  Always an amazingly beautiful scenic cruising day.

And to @tjcox9 thank you for your photos taken at Salisbury Plain.  I may have forgotten to tell you earlier.  Great memories for us both.

Thank you Sharon - I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Roy, best of luck to you on Monday with your first treatment.

Sandi, I'm glad you are making progress on the stocking today.  If most Texas or really most places in the south got that much snow, everything would completely shut down.  Between lack of snow removal equipment and not knowing how to drive in snow, it becomes a mess.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Good morning from beautiful Arizona. My brother, dear sisters, sil & bils and I spent a final week with our mother, Ruth as she (without much pain & rather peacefully) left us on 1/4/24. 4/7/1920-1/4/2024

Not surprised that her final days would be under beautiful Arizona skies, perfect weather and surrounded by all of her children. She was certainly the ‘wind beneath our wings’.

We travel to Southern California today, repack and return to Arizona for  visitation and services on Wednesday and Thursday. Not an easy time but certainly not the worst week either as we are surrounded with kindness, love and plenty of laughter. 

Comfort & prayers for the Daily-ites. 

I am so, so very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother.  Mothers carry a special place in our hearts and losing them is always hard 💔. It is wonderful though that you could be with her.  That would mean more to her than anything else.

My sincere condolences go you all.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

We do usually once or twice a year and agree it’s no fun!  Great meme @Quartzsite Cruiser

@Norseh2o my condolences, so hard losing your mom!   

@StLouisCruisers anniversaries are difficult, but then we remember the love.

@rafinmd please try to pace yourself,  sometimes fatigue can hit pretty hard. 

Unfortunately, DH had his two skin biopsies confirmed cancerous. Good news they were caught early and only one needs reexcision.    I always try to be thankful when things are caught early and are easily treatable.  

We have horrific ice on all our paths making walking without spikes dangerous.   

Love all the old abandoned farm buildings. 

IMG_0223.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sharon, I was on Celebrity, but looking at the HAL website there is a special requirements form here

https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action. I can't access it as I don't have a booking, but I found the form elsewhere and there is a place to ask for a needle disposal . But as already mentioned, you can probably just ask your steward for one.

• Like 8

Good afternoon, time for a quick check-in.  

@Norseh2o I add my condolences to the others on the passing of your mother; it's hard to say goodbye to someone so dear.  It was nice for her to have the entire family around her as she made her way.  Keep her memories close and she will always be with you.

@SuslorI'm sorry you had to cancel your trip - that's never easy, but necessary, I know.  The hard part is putting everything away after waiting so long to get things in the suitcases, etc.

@StLouisCruisersthoughts for you as you remember your DD DS's angel birthday today.

@VMax1700 there have been many years when Mr. Celsius and Mr. Fahrenheit have met here on the "frozen tundra".  It's never a good thing, but as we like to say, at least there aren't any mosquitos!

Speaking of mentors today, I just found out that the dear judge who mentored me on the bench for my first 6 months passed away yesterday.  He was such a lovely man who always made me think about what I was doing in my job and how to apply the law practically and fairly.  I'll miss him, and will forever remember the lessons learned from him.

It's getting colder and right now we have high humidity, which is unusual for this part o the world, so it feels even colder.  Glad we don't have to anywhere else today - it's a time for DH to have a nap and I'm turning on the fireplace and will sit down and do some knitting.  Take care everyone!

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

It looks like our predicted weather front is beginning to move in.  The clouds have arrived, and the wind is beginning to pick up.  The forecast still shows rain tomorrow morning, and I won't complain because we need all the rain here we can get after a long spell of drought.  The odd thing is that the weather app says we are under a hard freeze warning tomorrow and Monday, but looking at the nighttime temperatures the lowest predicted for several nights is 33F.  The last time I looked, that was not freezing.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We do usually once or twice a year and agree it’s no fun!  Great meme @Quartzsite Cruiser

@Norseh2o my condolences, so hard losing your mom!   

@StLouisCruisers anniversaries are difficult, but then we remember the love.

@rafinmd please try to pace yourself,  sometimes fatigue can hit pretty hard. 

Unfortunately, DH had his two skin biopsies confirmed cancerous. Good news they were caught early and only one needs reexcision.    I always try to be thankful when things are caught early and are easily treatable.  

We have horrific ice on all our paths making walking without spikes dangerous.   

Love all the old abandoned farm buildings. 

IMG_0223.jpeg

Brenda, I'm glad the two cancerous places were caught early, and that your DH only needs more work on one of them.  When I see old farm buildings, I wonder about the history of the people who farmed the land.  Be care with all that ice.

44 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, time for a quick check-in.  

@Norseh2o I add my condolences to the others on the passing of your mother; it's hard to say goodbye to someone so dear.  It was nice for her to have the entire family around her as she made her way.  Keep her memories close and she will always be with you.

@SuslorI'm sorry you had to cancel your trip - that's never easy, but necessary, I know.  The hard part is putting everything away after waiting so long to get things in the suitcases, etc.

@StLouisCruisersthoughts for you as you remember your DD DS's angel birthday today.

@VMax1700 there have been many years when Mr. Celsius and Mr. Fahrenheit have met here on the "frozen tundra".  It's never a good thing, but as we like to say, at least there aren't any mosquitos!

Speaking of mentors today, I just found out that the dear judge who mentored me on the bench for my first 6 months passed away yesterday.  He was such a lovely man who always made me think about what I was doing in my job and how to apply the law practically and fairly.  I'll miss him, and will forever remember the lessons learned from him.

It's getting colder and right now we have high humidity, which is unusual for this part o the world, so it feels even colder.  Glad we don't have to anywhere else today - it's a time for DH to have a nap and I'm turning on the fireplace and will sit down and do some knitting.  Take care everyone!

Gerry, our condolences on the death of your mentor.  It's always difficult to lose someone who made a big difference in your life.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Is there a Butternut Squash Growers Association that is pushing these recipes?

Last night I attended Central Synagogue and then had dinner at Fig & Olive in 52nd Street: wild mushroom croquettes with aioli, and a Middle Eastern salmon dish with green beans and sweet hummus  (a little strange but at least not butternut squash), plus the Albariño that was the wine of the day recently. This morning, brunch at The Smith on Broadway, across a small park from Lincoln Center. Mimosa, house-made potato chips with blue-cheese fondue (very unhealthful), and Caesar salad with chicken.

Then across the park and Columbus Avenue for Nabucco, by Verdi. It’s about the Babylonian conquest of Jerusalem and was very confusing. I taught about it in the fall as depicted in the Bible, but the opera turns it into an Italian tale of love and betrayal that has nothing to do with any actual history after the initial premise.

It had started snowing outside, and the Lincoln Center plaza was slippery, but the sidewalks weren’t.

On a weekday I would take the NY Waterway free shuttle back to the ferry terminal. On the weekend the routes are consolidated and I would have to walk halfway there. I was worrying about hailing a taxi on Sunday in the snow, so I booked a car service.

IMG_0042.thumb.jpeg.edc2ad2145cebe44dcf51973a812fcdc.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Good evening, the snow has turned to rain and the roads are in poor condition. Lots of accidents according to the fire police app on my phone. People have forgotten how to drive in bad weather. 
Thanks everyone for the caring thoughts regarding my friend Debbi. I looked at the calendar wrong and the anniversary is actually Thursday. I can tell you that it snowed that morning and the photographer fell coming to her parents house and broke the camera. I have so many memories coming back to me. Her oldest son is my godson and the other two are very special to me also. Deb considered my parents as another set of grandparents. 
I’m hoping for a better new year.🙏❤️

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sharon, as others have said, I know they provide sharps containers, but I'm wondering since you will only need one injection, if you could take the used syringe to medical and put it in their sharps container.

Lenda, what a great idea!  I think I’ll call them once onboard and ask. Worth a try. 

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Sharon, when I used to do daily injections, I filled out the form for a sharps container.  Now, I only do one injection a week.  I usually just take the used needles home and dispose of them here since there aren't that many to deal with. 

My PCC sent me the forms and sometimes the container is in the room and sometimes not.  The room stewards will be happy to procure one for you.

I might do that unless the medical center will take it. 

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Sharon, I was on Celebrity, but looking at the HAL website there is a special requirements form here

https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action. I can't access it as I don't have a booking, but I found the form elsewhere and there is a place to ask for a needle disposal . But as already mentioned, you can probably just ask your steward for one.

Thank you Vanessa!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1