Suggestions for cruise line for a family reunion

AnniefromtheD

Hello! First time cruiser here, with a question. I'm organizing a cruise as a family reunion in 2025. We will have a wide range of ages, from toddler, teens, college age, middle aged to the elderly with limited mobility. Most of the folks haven't gone on a cruise, though it's generally a very well traveled group. I'm looking for a line that would accommodate the very different capacity of the guests, ie babysitting options for the toddler, hip activities for the teens/college kids, excursions for the very active middle aged group and peace and ease for the old folks. As I'm not a cruiser, I don't really have a great sense of what line(s) might be best for us? I'm thinking of a 7-8 day Caribbean/Mexico destination simply because it seems like that's what is most offered time of year we are looking (December). I've started to look at Princess, but am not really sure if it's a fit?  Open to any/all suggestions! I've started to read the posts here, and have been googling up a storm! Thank you!

2 hours ago, AnniefromtheD said:

Hello! First time cruiser here, with a question. I'm organizing a cruise as a family reunion in 2025. We will have a wide range of ages, from toddler, teens, college age, middle aged to the elderly with limited mobility. Most of the folks haven't gone on a cruise, though it's generally a very well traveled group. I'm looking for a line that would accommodate the very different capacity of the guests, ie babysitting options for the toddler, hip activities for the teens/college kids, excursions for the very active middle aged group and peace and ease for the old folks. As I'm not a cruiser, I don't really have a great sense of what line(s) might be best for us? I'm thinking of a 7-8 day Caribbean/Mexico destination simply because it seems like that's what is most offered time of year we are looking (December). I've started to look at Princess, but am not really sure if it's a fit?  Open to any/all suggestions! I've started to read the posts here, and have been googling up a storm! Thank you!

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

What a nice trip you have planned.  But "all things for all people" is going to be tricky.

Could you help us to help you by giving the ages (and numbers) of the younger members?

Meanwhile, please take a look at the CC subsection on "Family Cruises":

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

This will be a good place to ask about "babysitting".  That's not necessarily available on all cruises, but last I knew (that was pre-Covid, so IF things have changed, I don't know) there were at least *some* ships that offered some "babysitting".  Otherwise, there are more ships that at least have official "clubs/activities" for children, so that would be worth looking into as well.

And what is your approximate price point/range?

The ships that have serious activities for children probably aren't the best ships for "peace and ease for the old folks".  However, some of those ships may have somewhat more private areas that tend to be quieter.  But those areas are also more expensive.  For those with limited mobility, keep in mind the ports of call.  By "limited mobility", do you mean "slow walking, needing frequent rest"?  Or walker/scooter?  Or wheelchair?

There are two ways to get to "land".  One is by docking, and that will be accessible for all.  The other way is by "tendering", which means taking a small boat from the ship to the shore.  That "small boat" can vary a lot; it could be like one of the ships own lifeboats or it could be something a bit larger (or perhaps even smaller?).  In many cases, when tendering, it will be very difficult or even impossible for someone in a wheelchair or using a scooter to get off the ship there, and it may be difficult for someone who uses a walker or rollator, too.

If there are mobility limitations like that, then you might consider looking for cruises with few or no "tender ports".

You might also want to study the "deck plans" of some ships you are considering, keeping in mind how "close together" you think everyone might want to be.  You could get several (many?  how many will there be in your family?) cabins or suites right near each other.  Or perhaps you'd prefer to have everyone a bit more spread out...?

One thing we've done when traveling with kids and grands is we get a nice suite, with plenty of space.  The kids and grands may be in a much less expensive cabin, maybe without a balcony, but then they spend a lot of time with us.  their cabin is really only for sleeping/napping, so "tighter quarters" isn't a problem.

Note that IF the larger cabins/suites are in a more private area (not all ships have something like this), there may be restricted entry.  I mention this in terms of the "peacefulness" issue, although that's never *guaranteed*!  In this case, I'd double check to make sure that others in your family would have access to *your* accommodation, although they may well not have access to the more private areas such as lounge areas, extra pool, or such.

And especially if you will be sailing during the Christmas/New Year's holiday time, things can get a bit crowded, as there are likely to be more children (ditto during any school vacation time), and that can make things... uh... less peaceful, at least in many areas of the ship.

Enjoy the planning, and then enjoy the cruise! 🙂 

GC

I would suggest talking with a travel agent who specializes in cruises and review your situation and expectations with them.  As a first time cruiser combined with the plan of a family reunion, which will make this a group cruise, they would be in the best position to sort our your cruise line options, preferred itineraries, on board activities, group cruise benefits, logistics coordinating your group's air travel, budget, etc., etc.. 

This is a pretty monumental task to undertake by yourself, especially as a first time cruiser, and not something I would suggest doing on your own.  While the cruise lines can also help directly with this, you would still need to select one first.  Leave this in the hands of a travel agent - and a "brick and mortar" one that has a person that you can work with directly, not an on-line entity.

All that being said, an additional cruise line you may want to consider with your family dynamics would be Royal Caribbean.  They're primary demographics is families with children, and they would be well suited for your multi-generational mix and requirements.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4

I would like to add that if considering Royal Caribbean I would look specifically at the Oasis, Quantum, and Icon class ships as they would have the best variety of venues, entertainment, activities, and dining options within that cruise line.  These ship classes also feature a number of very good Caribbean itineraries to consider.  Go to their website and research those ship classes.

• Like 2

After you've decided on which cruise would suit your family, I strongly urge you to work with a travel advisor who is a cruise expert.  Not any kind of online TA, nothing with 'cheap' in the name, but a real TA.  Doesn't matter if s/he's local or across the country.  I have a lot of experience arranging events, so here's what I would do:

Pick 3 to 5 cruises, send out a list with links for research.  Have everyone vote.  This will spread the accountability equally and nobody will be able to 'blame you' for any issues.  When it comes to booking cabins, you can set everything up and have each group book and pay for their own accommodations.  A cruise like this will be an unforgettable experience for your whole family.  But it could become a nightmare for you if some family members are picky and whiney.  Your time can be much better spent arranging all the fun stuff.  Once the decision is made, you can find invaluable info on the ship's boards here on CC, as well as asking specific questions.  You may want to recruit some trusted family members to pitch in on the overall planning.  It's a wonderful thing you are doing; be ready for a great deal of effort to create a great experience for everyone!

When I see a post like the OP's, I find myself thinking about RCI (a line which we no longer cruise).  Why?  Their ships (especially the larger vessels) offer something for just about everyone.  

Hank

I believe Carnival is the only line with a free drop off program for children age 2, and they change diapers.  
I hope you are ready for sticker shock, because Christmas holidays are some of the most expensive times to cruise, with kids out of school.  And the most expensive will be the newest, largest ships.  I would not consider Princess with your wide range of ages.  They would be fine for the middle aged and older but not the youngsters.  
  New ships are getting larger and larger.  Ships are huge to begin with, and there is nothing wrong with an older ship.  Those that have never cruised will not miss what isn’t on that ship.  
  In your planning you need to consider airfare and the cost of a hotel the night before the cruise.  It will be winter…never plan on flying in the day of the cruise.  EM

• Like 2

We have done several cruises with large family/friend groups with mixed ages.  Based on our experience, the cruise line that jumps out when I read your question is RCI.  

• Like 2

It seems redundant to pile on, but I agree that Royal Caribbean is probably your best bet for finding something for everyone across these age groups.  But I also strongly agree with the advice, above, from @jsn55, to find a travel agent who specializes in cruises, AND, when you've narrowed down your options, send them around for voting.  That one step will save you endless grief.  

• Like 1

I’m also going to suggest RCI, and I’ve never sailed on RCI! Only some of their ships have splash pads for diapered kids (and DCL is the only other line with splash pads for those nit potty trained). Not all RCI ships have them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m also going to suggest RCI, and I’ve never sailed on RCI! Only some of their ships have splash pads for diapered kids (and DCL is the only other line with splash pads for those nit potty trained). Not all RCI ships have them. 

Icon of the Seas, Oasis class ships, Quantum class ships, and Freedom class ships, and Navigator of the Seas are the ships I am aware of with splash pads for kids in diapers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 9:15 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

I would suggest talking with a travel agent who specializes in cruises and review your situation and expectations with them.  As a first time cruiser combined with the plan of a family reunion, which will make this a group cruise, they would be in the best position to sort our your cruise line options, preferred itineraries, on board activities, group cruise benefits, logistics coordinating your group's air travel, budget, etc., etc.. 

This is a pretty monumental task to undertake by yourself, especially as a first time cruiser, and not something I would suggest doing on your own.  While the cruise lines can also help directly with this, you would still need to select one first.  Leave this in the hands of a travel agent - and a "brick and mortar" one that has a person that you can work with directly, not an on-line entity.

All that being said, an additional cruise line you may want to consider with your family dynamics would be Royal Caribbean.  They're primary demographics is families with children, and they would be well suited for your multi-generational mix and requirements.

This is great advice. I've been on 2 myself (3rd upcoming this summer) and all 3 have been through a travel/talent agency. My oldest daughter danced on the first two and my youngest daughter is dancing this summer, and the cruise itself has been booked through a talent agency, and we've just selected our cabin type and paid for the trip.

If you have a travel agent that you know and trust, I'd agree that this is the way to go. They might even be able to get you a block of rooms (not sure if that's completely possible on a cruise ship, especially if you need accessible rooms) so that your family can be close together.

Hopefully you pick a great one and have a marvelous time with your family!

53 minutes ago, Noledad77 said:

If you have a travel agent that you know and trust, I'd agree that this is the way to go. They might even be able to get you a block of rooms (not sure if that's completely possible on a cruise ship, especially if you need accessible rooms) so that your family can be close together.

They most certainly can get a number of staterooms, to include accessible if need be, that are connecting, or at best adjacent, near the accessible stateroom.  As this would be a group booking, some price and potential on board benefits may apply (depending on the number of rooms booked), and the TA can handle all of those arrangements.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 8:15 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

How do I find such a travel agent?

Honestly, any of the mainstream lines will give you a wonderful cruise with something for everybody. Pick whichever strikes your fancy and have a great time. 

Edited by wcook

We have had family cruises, one with 21 and one with 12. Ages 11-72. Our cruises were on Princess and I can only say they were wonderful. Kids, parents and grandparents totally enjoyed them. One family had to be convinced to come and they still, 5 yrs later, rave about the trip.

Maybe not as much to do as on RCL but maybe that is part of the reason the trips were so good? Families had time together and interfamily.

Also did a trip of 3 grandkids and grandparents on Celebrity. It was also a wonderful experience and a wonderful trip.

Just a different perspective 

Another vote for rccl Oasis class , loads of things for all ages , ice show and aqua shows are fantastic, Broadway play etc etc . I would pick one of the older oasis ships since they are much cheaper than the new ones sometimes almost half the cost. 

I, too, would suggest RCL.  I would also suggest that each different family do their own excursions. Don't try to plan something for everyone. I did this when I cruised with my kids and now ex and his parents. 4 of us did one thing and his parents did soemthing else. Then we would meet up together for dinner and discuss our day. My boys were 10 and 14 (24 and 28 now) at the time and they still remember their first cruise ever with their grandparents.

10 hours ago, olemissreb said:

I, too, would suggest RCL.  I would also suggest that each different family do their own excursions. Don't try to plan something for everyone. I did this when I cruised with my kids and now ex and his parents. 4 of us did one thing and his parents did soemthing else. Then we would meet up together for dinner and discuss our day. My boys were 10 and 14 (24 and 28 now) at the time and they still remember their first cruise ever with their grandparents.

Typically our family/friend groups will split among two or three different excursions.  Once folks start sharing their preferences, the groups form up pretty fast.  Like you say, each doing their own excursion booking is so much easier.