The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 6th, 2024

kazu

35 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

We're not celebrating Lame Ducks.  As @grapau27 we are celebrating the enactment of the 20th  Amendment which reduced the time politicians remained in office after their successors were elected.

Roy

Thank you. I should be more careful when posting while sleep deprived.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

We had some good news yesterday - while enjoying our tea and the newspaper in the living room first thing in the morning, the phone rang.  It was the hospital telling us there had been a cancellation and would DH like to take an appointment this Friday morning for his TAVI CT and assessment, rather than waiting till Feb 26?  In less than a nanosecond, he replied yes!  So glad they had a cancellation list and he was on it. 

That is SUCH great news, Gerry 👍. So happy that Maurice will be seen faster 🙂 

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I am not better, and DH is worse, but we are managing.

I don’t like the sounds of this at all, Annie.  Can you skip the zoom meetings and get some sleep and recovery time, please?  It’s a worried question - not a nag.

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

My hibiscus is in bloom!

R0010326.JPG

YAY and how beautiful 🙂 

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

We were unable to get help last night so it was another long night. I am hoping there is another woman available tonight. I worry about the cost and then I face reality and accept it.

Damn Terry. 😔 You need the help and you need your sleep.  I am so sorry you couldn’t get some help last night. 😢 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Thank you. I should be more careful when posting while sleep deprived.

Wishing you more help so you can get a good sleep.  Nobody should be sleep deprived on an extended basis.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

The latest. We will depart Tahiti at 4:00 PM today and take a southern route to Bay Island, New Zealand. We will not have any stops in Cooks Island which means for those who joined on this segment it’s basically going to be an all sea day cruise. First few days are going to be through pretty rough seas around 4-5 meters and strong winds. 
It is now a named tropical storm with possibility of strengthening into a cyclone.

It is going to be an interesting six straight days at sea.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

Just a quick good morning and thanks all! Prayers for those who need them.   It is our lovely DD’s birthday.  

The lovely Zuiderdam is in port this morning.   

We were treated the other day with quite the show! These creatures are as big as a greyhound bus! 

DSC_1490.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 9

11 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

The latest. We will depart Tahiti at 4:00 PM today and take a southern route to Bay Island, New Zealand. We will not have any stops in Cooks Island which means for those who joined on this segment it’s basically going to be an all sea day cruise. First few days are going to be through pretty rough seas around 4-5 meters and strong winds. 
It is now a named tropical storm with possibility of strengthening into a cyclone.

It is going to be an interesting six straight days at sea.

Too Bad!  Hang on!

We have been in this area four times Jan to Mar and fortunately never experienced bad weather

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Just a quick good morning and thanks all! Prayers for those who need them.   It is our lovely DD’s birthday.  

The lovely Zuiderdam is in port this morning.   

We were treated the other day with quite the show! These creatures are as big as a greyhound bus! 

DSC_1490.jpeg

Brenda @bennybear.

Happy birthday to your dear daughter.

happy-birthday-puppy.gif

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone, 

Not much going on here the last while which is why I've been not contributing. It's been more of "same old, same old". I've been to the pool on Monday and Wednesdays for two water aerobics classes which I really enjoy. Today I have a memorial service to attend with a friend. It's for the father-in-law of our music teacher at school when I taught. He passed last week in his sleep at age 100. I also have to make a stop at the post office to get international stamps. That's a hit to the pocketbook! 

I paid for my June Alaska cruise on Majestic Princess yesterday and do need to get my parking in place which I'll do later today. I have 4 Alaska cruises this summer - one a month - and hope to do Dd DH's burial at sea on the September one (Eurodam). We'll see how it all goes. 

I'd better get organized. It's also the day to put out the trash for pick up tomorrow and I need to get a birthday gift for a friend ready to go for tomorrow. 

Karen

• Like 21

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute African American coaches. Female genital mutilation is barbaric and must end. It's good there was an end to Lame Ducks. Interesting quote. Maybe on the meal, yes to a strawberry margarita and Black Box pinot noir which I've had. I have not been to Manila. 2 important days in history.

It's 44F and sunny here now. What a day! I had 3 appointments today. But my back and leg were hurting me terribly from the time I got up. I went to the first appointment. Then the eye doctor was in the same hospital, but on the other side. I had my rollator but that only provided support and I had to stop frequently due to pain. I got a good report from the eye doctor, then had to go back across the hospital to valet parking. I was fasting and had hoped to get lab work after my eye appointment, but as usual she was running an hour behind. Since she's in the hospital complex, inpatients for consults get brought down and screw up her schedule. So no time to go to the lab. I just left and went to PT. I couldn't do that much due to the pain, which wasn't relieved by heat or ice. Now that I'm home I hope sitting for a while will ease the pain. I need to do more work on the dining room, but I don't think I can today.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for posting Lenda's photos from Manila.

@Nickelpenny That's awful about the surgeon appointments being canceled and rescheduled. I'm glad you got a tele-health visit.

@ger_77 Great news that DH's tests can be gotten on Friday instead of later in the month.

@ottahand7 Thanks for the photos.

@57redbird I hope the Gabapentin helps you. I've had my dose gradually increased up to 7 pills a day for my nerve pain, but I can't say it has really helped. Then my PCP added low dose Cymbalta (also used to treat nerve pain) but I don't see a difference.  

@Cruzin Terri I hope you are feeling better today.

@RMLincoln You've got a lot to organize regarding your preventive tests. I'm glad you're utilizing some of the amenities of your community.

@marshhawk I'm sorry to hear you both are sick. Maybe you need to see your doctor to make sure it hasn't turned into pneumonia?

@aliaschief You're having quite the adventure with the storms changing your itinerary all around. All those sea days! Good for catching up on your reading.

@smitty34877 I'm sorry you had no help last night and I hope you will have someone there tonight. 

@bennybear Happy Birthday to your DD! Great photo.

@luvteaching Wow, 4 Alaska cruises this summer!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celeberating.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Maybe they will have a tube of Arnica Gel to help promote healing.

Also look for the pellets. Take five pellets 3 times a day. Those and the gel together are a good combo. I just order them on Amazon now. 

• Like 8

@JazzyV  I'm sorry the gabapentin didn't/hasn't helped you.  I had to call the dr's office earlier because I hadn't been notified by Walmart that the Rx was ready.  When the PA ordered it, he had written too many directions & the computer wouldn't take them all so it just aborted the order but didn't notify anybody...the PA or me.  I'm glad I called Walmart & found out they hadn't received the order.  He reordered it & called me to let me know.

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Also look for the pellets. Take five pellets 3 times a day. Those and the gel together are a good combo. I just order them on Amazon now. 

Sounds good except I will be on the ship until Feb. 18.  Hard to order from Amazon and get it to the ship.  Need them now.  Hoping to find a store in St. Maarten on Thursday.

Thanks for the advice,

Terri

• Like 13

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny afternoon. It’s chilly but tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and near 60 on Saturday.

@Crazy For Cats, my boys love rotisserie chicken breast . 
@kazu, wow on the snow totals. I saw  pictures from PEI , unbelievable.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

I can’t leave a plate unattended with Tucker and Zander around.

• Like 12

Some adjustments to medical plans:

I have been trying since November to get an appointment with a doctor I had seen before, but he was on an open-ended family leave. It's a large practice, but with one doctor out, the only appointment I could get was in January, with a PA. I was sick and it was snowing that day, so I changed it to the next open slot, in March.

Today they called to say that the doctor was back to work and could see me on Friday. The time that they wanted, in the morning, overlapped with when I'd be having the Mohs sutures removed, 30 miles away. After some back-and-forth they opened up a slot in the afternoon.

Then the dermatology practice called to change my appointment from Friday to Thursday because there won't be anyone at the local office to remove sutures on Friday.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Just a thought, Jack, but if you’re a member of Costco or Auto Club, they do have discount services. Around here it includes Subaru. (Maybe it does in your area too?) When I ordered my Crosstrek I tried both and received email responses within a few hours. Costco’s service were from neighboring counties and 2 of 3 were the same price ( so much below invoice) and the other was higher. The auto club service I had to drive in to what was “”our” long time dealer.”*: their price matched the other 2 through Costco, and they ordered for me, because my trim level and color wasn’t in stock.

Thanks for the suggestion. We went out again today to a different dealer that has two the color that Sue likes. I told the sales manager that I wanted his best offer as I still had two other dealers to visit. He really believed me as his offer was 8.5% below invoice which is 2% under invoice. I doubt that I can do better with a different dealer as Subaru had a positive January. The particular unit I am looking at  has minimal options and the ones it has are what I would want. That is good enough for me so I will contact the sales manager tomorrow to start the purchase.

• Like 22

Good morning from the Volendam at Komodo Island. Unfortunately I am not making it to shore. The body said "too much walking and too much heat and humidity". I have seen dragons before...just not in their native habitat.  But there is still a lot of cruise left. I should have done this 15 years ago.

Am very much enjoying the cruise and the ship. Food is good, there is a variety of entertainment and the staff is, as usual, attentive. From observation some areas could do with more personnel and things occasionally seem a bit rushed. But all in all, a very good experience.

Best wishes to all. I am following the Daily as best I can. My phone does not always cooperate. 

Susan 

• Like 20

Good evening to all , we have been very busy after we returned from the Rotterdam and even though it is already late I just like to add a few pictures.

I just have a few pictures of our day in Manilla where we arrived with the Volendam in November of 2017 . We had a very nice welcome in the Port where of coarse there also were a lot of Philippine families looking to meet crew members who are such a large and important portion of the crew on all of the Holland America ships.

We had a very nice and adventurous  tour in a crowded and noisy Manilla but I lost a good number of nice pictures because of technical camera problems but here a few of them without too much  commentary .

image.thumb.jpeg.860281a3fdd6b4dbfbccd2d2d8faa0de.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0110d7d7514411946227d18cc7d3c7da.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e2a3385cd770d38c17ac0347de6d61f2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c3279dc58a561d813ac0f4363b8fb946.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c969906ba8402dbd4b8deaef44904f3e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bf564e01b06e16875ab2ef390a89077e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.31f9a2d7743ef079967c3646b7b9c23f.jpeg

I had a lot of fun in the Jeepney but for Martha it was the first and last time ………..guess she is use to more luxurious forms of transportation .

image.thumb.jpeg.2c730d1bd8a1ac703bb071a6601c3ec8.jpeg

Sorry there is not much more to share today . Guess we have to go back there again we got very close to Manilla in Febryary of 2020  when we were on the infamous Westerdam cruise when Covid struck , we made it almost to the 200 mile nautical border of the Philippines when we were told by that Government we do not want you turn around ………..so we than floated in circles for another 12 days  to find a place that would accept us , and you know the end of the story there were absolutely no cases of Covid on the Westerdam ! 

image.thumb.jpeg.52838e755185d4f633ad048edd74ecea.jpeg

Did we look concerned .............

image.thumb.jpeg.eb02b87b0f991e58a7e6dd5e00047577.jpeg

Tony 😁😁
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Greetings from Honolulu.  

We had a busy day today.  We did the Pali Coast tour and saw some beautiful beaches.  The waves are amazing.  Our guide told us that the last time they were like this was 7 years ago. 

After the tour we returned to the ship for lunch.  Then we caught the shuttle to Hilo Hattie’s. We bought a few items there and then hit up the post office to mail Ellamary’s postcard.  Then we had to get home.  The shuttle was no longer running so we set out to find the bus stop.  We walked what seemed to be miles through a parking deck looking for a way to get out.  Once we accomplished that we walked and walked to the bus stop.  But we made it!!

First , the Pali Coast.

IMG_3121.thumb.jpeg.80c5fda98414b226c37367642fa19579.jpeg

IMG_3122.thumb.jpeg.fd76659467f3955f6353b9683d9442b6.jpeg

IMG_3128.thumb.jpeg.4432b84dae88b21f4f12f7ef48ec344d.jpeg

IMG_3131.thumb.jpeg.ae812fe5af150e864ee5f8c3cf71ba28.jpeg

IMG_3133.thumb.jpeg.077a6248b349d8240bf9796af1c915b5.jpeg

IMG_3132.thumb.jpeg.a16874783f21fc3886911e4a4238c198.jpeg

IMG_3130.thumb.jpeg.57eb8804ad6d127cceb724b3e1e4116a.jpeg

IMG_3136.thumb.jpeg.76454b95641f03b4cca131d2753b673a.jpeg

IMG_3137.thumb.jpeg.0af889d60052711e24134257089e0f36.jpeg

And the reward.

IMG_3143.thumb.jpeg.2860faabd425bcbc61f1da887709d729.jpeg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

...his offer was 8.5% below invoice which is 2% under invoice

@Heartgrove since our next vehicle purchase will fall totally on my shoulders (as DH is no longer able to handle business transactions), I am trying to understand the sales manager's offer being both "8.5% below" invoice and "2% under" invoice. Can you help me understand what that means, please?

Thanks, in advance,

-Melisa

• Like 7

@dfishGlad those are your feet, was getting tired of Grahams. however read today he has just booked another cruise....more Happy feet.

y3my1.jpg

I am up late, lying down brings on the coughing up, and sitting up brings on the runny nose.  Preferring runny nose.  Plus when I sat up to breathe, a cat took my place.

I know Chuck wants to adopt the tiger, but the tiger escapes from the porch, he is strong and pushes the door open, even when there is a rock, or a tool box on the other side.  He would move in, try to get the other cats to get the key and they all would be out the door.  Not going to happen.

th?id=OIP.Q-ns0YOIxzG2oqS_50nZkwHaKw&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

• Like 16
  • Haha 1