The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 19th, 2024

kazu

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan with a temperature of 20F.  It is supposed to get up to 39F, which would be good as it will help us rid the drive and steps of ice.  

We brought the suitcases in last night, but just left them in the entryway.  They are filled with mostly summer clothes so they can sit there until May.  Grocery shopping is on the agenda for today, but before we head there I think we need to clean a few things out of the fridge.  

Thank you to Eva @superoma for the wonderful job on the Meal of the Day while I was gone.  

Ah thanks Debbie. It was fun. I have the last one for tomorrow ready to go. Glad you had a lovely cruise and I hope the rest of this winter isn’t too tough to take.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning, on our way to Belize.  I was absent yesterday, we had an early shore excursion in Grand Cayman and we had a beer and margarita at lunch.  We came back and took a nap.  One hour fall back last night now on Central time. 

Thanks for the daily reports and maps Jacqui and Roy.  

Prayers for everyone on our care list and the people of Ukraine.  

We had a pretty drive around the east end of Grand Cayman yesterday.  It wasn't one I would have chosen but since we are not water sports people there isn't a lot to choose from.   Wine tasting event today and Pinnacle Grill this evening.  Our wonderful voyage is beginning to come to an end.  The winter has been mild back home and I hope it continues as we get home to Michigan in early March.  Have a lovely Monday! Nancy 

IMG_20240218_091342622_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_104448416_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_125147197_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_105618911_HDR.jpg

How did you find my beachfront dwelling!

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is 48°F and partly sunny now.

I had a coffee overlooking the sea early this morning then I went to do some sales calls.

Thank you to all of the regular poster's who contribute the daily information and especially the fantastic port photos.

I hope everyone has a good day.

IMG_20240219_081550.jpg

👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 11

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

I should have said yesterday the Pilot had warned us of the shakey landing.  When we landed in Ft. Lauderdale the airport was jam packed.  MANY flights either delayed or cancelled. One person asked me where we were coming from and how long were we delayed.  We left on time and landed 10 minutes early.  I can't imaging what the travel is like toay.

Spider's Kiss cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
1 part Pinnacle® Original Vodka
Fresh Lemon Juice
Chocolate Syrup

Instructions
Draw a chocolate web into a martini glass and place in the refrigerator to chill. Combine Midori®, Pinnacle® Vodka, and lemon juice in a shaker and strain into glass. For a blood effect, drizzle grenadine down the side of the glass. Garnish with a chocolate dipped orange slice.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 7.12.38 AM.png

Finally a drink that when I fall down I can drink upside down!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, superoma said:

Ah thanks Debbie. It was fun. I have the last one for tomorrow ready to go. Glad you had a lovely cruise and I hope the rest of this winter isn’t too tough to take.

I so appreciate you doing today and tomorrow.  I had a little trouble adjusting to the time change last night and couldn't fall asleep until almost 3:00 am.  I forced myself up early this morning to try and help with the adjustment.  

• Like 16

Good morning. It is chilly but sunny here and will get to 38 later. I will pass on the kale, have not been to the port and thank Mr Edison for his invention.

It was nice to see that the Hawaii cruisers got home safely. I remember that we stayed in San Diego an extra day after getting off the ship and it helped a little in acclimating to the time changes and jet lag.

Tonight I am making baked ziti for dinner.  We had a difficult weekend but everyone pitched in to help which made it doable. I am so grateful for the aide we have during the week. Today. I will head out to the grocery store. Our schools have this week off so the teenager is coming with me. He has more ideas about things he wants to learn to make and I enjoy teaching him.

Take care today.

• Like 25

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Eva, Dixie, and Paul, and Happy Presidents Day or Family Day to those who celebrate it.

I'll pass on the Tug of War, am thank you for the Coast Guard Reserve, and was delighted to learn about Daisy Gatson Bates. 

I guess the quote today is a potential lesson in inflated self importance.

We've made so much progress in recorded music but Graham had a very important first step.  Welcome home Dfish.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Pork Rib Roast with Apricot-Pineapple Dressing, and Forest Berry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam February 19, 2019:

dishes19.jpg

A cold start to the day but warming up nicely.  I've completed my major errands and most of my walking but will take another short walk in the neighborhood around noon.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report. My brother was a Coast Guard shipman so I will celebrate the day but I don’t want to be part of a tug of war. Never been to the port, have made kale pesto (it is less expensive than basil) but will pass on the rest. Had to look up the missing word in the quote 😉

Nice day at sea. Our clocks went forward 1 hr. Missed dinner last night so ended up getting room service while watching a movie. Finally went to bed ~ 0030. Up at 0600 and it was still dark outside. Been going to the Oui Brazil and the naturalist Michael Douglas talks. VERY interesting. Dressy night tonight. Not sure if I will go to the MDR unless there is escargot!!!  Went to the FB group’s gathering yesterday and the CC’s today.   

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating. Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 22

Still cold and sunny but supposed to get above freezing each day this week, rain holding off till Friday, so it’ll be easier to get to eye doctor on Thursday. DH’s eye pressure registered last night at minimum reading in the home device so that seems stable. Keeping up the regime. 

Moscoto is what I can still enjoy. Sounds great!  I’m allergic to melons so would not try the drink. Kale pesto sounds like a poor substitute for basil pesto but I would at least taste it. 

Talked with my niece yesterday, and briefly with her dad, my brother. I think it’ll be a few days before they get enough tests, info to review their options for my SIL.   I think they’re in for a tough road no matter what they choose. Makes me more grateful for every day!  

@JazzyV When is your procedure?  🕯️

@kazu How are your ribs healing?  And elbow?  
@Vict0riannI’ll have to learn more about that maneuver for vertigo. 

Where we worked we didn’t get Presidents Day off, it was one of the holidays they credited us at Christmas break which was great to get that week off, but made for a very long stretch till late May for a day off. Things I don’t miss…. 

Blessings to all in need!  
Toasts to all celebrating!

Smooth travels to all away!

Welcome home to all returning!  
Thanks all for being here!  Take excellent care of you!  Stay well and safe. Enjoy today 🌈
Maureen 

• Like 26

Good morning. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu and @richwmn and maps @rafinmd.

I'll salute the Coast Guard Reserves and Daisy Gatson Bates Day. I remember playing tug of war in school. The censors didn't like the quote! I'll pass on the pesto, maybe for the drink and pass on the wine. I haven't been to Bitung. A good day in history. 

It's sunny but chilly. Currently up to 30F. Not much new here. I had a pretty good day yesterday with less pain during the day. Of course this morning it was back to the usual battle getting down the stairs. I have no plans for today. I thought the furniture might be coming back in, but I've heard nothing, so I guess not.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad to hear both Morgan and Ren got to spend some time at their family homes; I'm sure that's restorative for both of them. DD's St. Patrick's Day tree is great!

@summer slope Welcome back! And thanks to @kochleffel for pinch hitting. 

@Denise T Exciting. Good luck with your dissertation.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the photos.

@dfish Welcome home!

@smitty34877 Prayers and hugs for you and the family.

@RMLincoln I'm glad DH's pressure seems stable. My procedure is on Thursday. It'll be hard to tell anything that day, because just like with the epidural my leg will be numb from the anesthetic. 

@mamaofami I hope all is ok with you and Sam.

@HAL Sailer Thinking of you and your DH.

@Seasick Sailor You're missed!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

40 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu and @richwmn and maps @rafinmd.

I'll salute the Coast Guard Reserves and Daisy Gatson Bates Day. I remember playing tug of war in school. The censors didn't like the quote! I'll pass on the pesto, maybe for the drink and pass on the wine. I haven't been to Bitung. A good day in history. 

It's sunny but chilly. Currently up to 30F. Not much new here. I had a pretty good day yesterday with less pain during the day. Of course this morning it was back to the usual battle getting down the stairs. I have no plans for today. I thought the furniture might be coming back in, but I've heard nothing, so I guess not.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad to hear both Morgan and Ren got to spend some time at their family homes; I'm sure that's restorative for both of them. DD's St. Patrick's Day tree is great!

@summer slope Welcome back! And thanks to @kochleffel for pinch hitting. 

@Denise T Exciting. Good luck with your dissertation.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the photos.

@dfish Welcome home!

@smitty34877 Prayers and hugs for you and the family.

@RMLincoln I'm glad DH's pressure seems stable. My procedure is on Thursday. It'll be hard to tell anything that day, because just like with the epidural my leg will be numb from the anesthetic. 

@mamaofami I hope all is ok with you and Sam.

@HAL Sailer Thinking of you and your DH.

@Seasick Sailor You're missed!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

+1 on all your comments to our Dailyites!  I guess Joy is on a "break" like she thought she might be.  I miss her too.  Also, thanks to you Vanessa, Graham @grapau27, and Melanie @puppycanducruise for the nice comments regarding DD.  🙂

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  I've been skimming lately -- very little posting anywhere.  Nice to see all the happy cruisers.  Thoughts are with those having difficulties.

I've noticed that @marshhawk hasn't been posting -- not even on Sunday, a day she  seems to particularly enjoy here.  Both she and her DH have been having troubles lately.  Sending prayers their way.  Hope all is well.

• Like 23

Good morning/afternoon. This Tuesday morning finds us nearing Christ Church, New Zealand. The high winds have the ocean churning and the ship is responding. Our excursion today in four wheel drive vehicles and ride up a river in a jet boat may be a little cool as it currently 52 degrees!

We attended and enjoyed an Indonesian dinner last night. So good and so much food. Following dinner we were entertained by a guest harpist.

Some pics from our excursion out of Picton where we did scenic cruising in Queen Charlotte Bay visiting mussel farms. We were treated to eating fresh New Zealand Green Mussels and grilled Chinook Salmon. Best tasting mussels ever and they went well with the Marlborough Sauvignon Blanche.

Time to get moving. Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.8aa06971c8c4417eddf7666d5fafcca2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fa5e93491fc1fc2cf4763ff77395a462.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8e4a5f3cf4e3b9043ea62ac887fe4655.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7b64651d4f7547d906db898a1b33c896.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb456deab33ec1e95cf5305a9d7db538.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.229e662a8b1b100e9e117d564961935e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a6f71d0e56b2331e8284b5349d69d9d5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eb9c06fd81bd3e1ea69caec1a1589ce4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e05a3b3e3a850f8f852bd56e7c5dccf1.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

@kazu How are your ribs healing?  And elbow?  

Ribs are healing, thanks Maureen.  Just one causing minor issues  I suspect it will be fine in another week.  🤞. Pretty much matches the time line the doctor gave me

The elbow will be as it is.  the hope is the scar loosens it’s grip on the tissue over time but so far, there’s not signs of it.  The elbow works - it’s just one spot hurts if touched too hard.  It is what it is.  I’m not interested in surgery to try to fix it since it may happen again.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

We were just at the Western Winter Blast at Lake Havasu City in AZ. It was their 35th anniversary. We saw fireworks 5 nights, even an amazing spiral one (unfortunately I didn’t get a video 😔). Here is some of Saturday’s show:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I do know that eating too much kale can contribute to kidney stones,

Eating too much kale can contribute to kidney stones?

How do they know?  In the entire history of humankind, has there ever been a case of somebody gorging themselves with kale?  

I like kale occasionally.  A couple three times a year, Mrs. XBGuy will buy kale because she wants to try a recipe.  I cannot imagine overeating kale.  If I'm going to overeat something, more likely it would be Filet Mignon or Cinnabons.

😁

• Like 10
  • Haha 13

A few decades ago I worked across the road from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. No kale pesto, please, because it would taste like kale. Also no melon drinks. There are a few choices for Moscato in the Finger Lakes and, including the 2017 vintage from Hunt Country Vineyards.

Waking at 4:30 a.m. and not getting back to sleep is affecting my mood, as is the season, and I'm thinking about cancelling the May trip to Utah. No cruise line sails there, but one of the reasons is that I'm not confident that I'll be well enough for what I planned to do.

Another is that I envision cutting back all travel and especially air travel, and I'm submitting session proposals for a summer conference in San Diego. I'm keeping the Panama Canal booking for December even though it will conflict with school, specifically giving a presentation in class that I couldn't do with an iPad, so it will mean taking a laptop computer. I'm not sure about an Alaska booking for 2025; I would transfer the deposit to another itinerary if I could find one that I wanted.

sweatypie.thumb.jpg.84417238310ee31eec1f8521c23b073c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 7